2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Major championship courses played?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='aflackhook13' timestamp='1413345885' post='10289761']
Tanglewood Championship Course. Hosted 1974 PGA Championship, Trevino bested Jack.
[/quote]

Almost forgot I've played there! Makes it four for me then, Merion, Columbia ('21 Open) and Congressional, as well.

Unless we're counting Senior majors, then add Caves Valley to the list.

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

Royal Troon, Old Course, and Carnoustie in the UK. Does Royal Dornoch count? It's been used as an Open qualifier site.....

Bethpage Black, Pinehurst # 2, and Torrey Pines South in the USA.

Future major sites already played include Chambers Bay and Erin Hills.

One last US Open site to go on the bucket list, Pebble Beach.

Hazeltine National
Interlachen
Minikahda Club
Pecan Valley
Medinah #3
Kemper Lakes

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Growing up in Massachusetts surely helps - then moving to North Carolina...

The Country Club
Worcester CC
Salem
Myopia Hunt
Brae Burn CC
Blue Hill CC
Pinehurst #2
Newport CC
Wannamoisett CC

(Women)
Pine Needles
The Orchards
The Homestead (Cascades)
The Dunes Club
Lancaster CC (2015)
Pumpkin Ridge (Witch Hollow)
Pleasant Valley CC

US Am
Charlotte CC
CC of North Carolina

Birkdale and Carnoustie.

Both as good as you could imagine. Valderama Ryder Cup Venuew. Grass that hooks on to your irons. Too many cork trees...

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Prestwick
The Old Course
Muirfield
Turnberry - Ailsa
Royal Troon
The Country Club
Merion East
Bethpage Black
Baltusrol
Olympic Club Lake
Torrey Pines South
Whistling Straits Straits
Belmont
Kiawah Island – Ocean (playing in two weeks)
Bulle Rock (Ladies)
Blackwolf Run(Ladies)
Broadmoor(Ladies)
The Dunes (Champions Tour)
TPC Myrtle Beach (Champions Tour)

Edit: add Pumpkin Ridge

[quote name='moose557' timestamp='1414852949' post='10382641']
Any opinions on these courses as you post them? Any you were disappointed with or not impressed with? Which was your favorite? Any you just caught yourself saying wow throughout the round?
[/quote]

Pretty cool thread. I've found myself on a few thinking what an amazing experience. Been blessed to play a fair number...

Olympia Fields
Medinah #3
Flossmoor
Skokie
Chicago Golf Club
Beverley (1931 US AM. That was counted as a major back then :) )
Pebble Beach
Oak Hill
Royal Troon
Turnberry
Prestwick
Carnoustie
St. Andrews

I clearly enjoyed each round but the ones that truly stick out- Chicago Golf Club, St Andrews, Carnoustie and Pebble Beach. Chicago Golf is an absolute jewel just forty mins from the city- amazing experience and one I doubt I'll ever get a chance to play again. Standing on the first tee at St Andrews might possibly have been the coolest experience I've ever had in golf. At the time we weren't guaranteed a spot on the days tee sheet even though it was booked months in advance but the starter was as nice a guy as possible and made sure we played. Perfect "Open" weather, played with my brothers. Crazy good experience. Being a big fan of Ben Hogan, Carnoustie holds a special spot in my golfing life. Played horribly, easily the toughest course I have EVER played, good times nonetheless. Pebble was truly special. Absolute perfect weather, one day after a Senior event so the course was as good a shape as possible and I played with my two brothers and my 75 yr old father. I know some are less impressed with the layout and say it's supported by the amazing scenery, but for my money, without question if I had to decide on one last round, it's Pebble.

As an aside, my brother is a member at Olympic Club but I have yet to play it! Im going to count that for the list nonetheless :)

Cool,thread. Hopefully some guys add a bit as I'm sure they have some pretty interesting stories attached...

Edit- took a quick peak on the women's side and I had no idea(or maybe forgot) that they played at la Grange C.C. as well as the Merit Club. I've also had a chance to play the Dunes down in myrtle beach. :)

[quote name='moose557' timestamp='1414852949' post='10382641']
Any opinions on these courses as you post them? Any you were disappointed with or not impressed with? Which was your favorite? Any you just caught yourself saying wow throughout the round?
[/quote]

The British Open links courses are my favorites. Other than Merion and perhaps the Country Club., none of the US courses on my list come close to the experience of the Old Course, Prestwick, Muirfield or Turnberry. The Open Championship courses do make you say "wow" throughout most of the round.

Moose suggested some thoughts about each course, so here is my list and a brief thought on each one:

Merion - Best use of acreage on any course I've visited. Shows how difficult yet fair a shorter course can be. Love it there.
Oakmont - Absolutely the best test of golf I've ever experienced. If they could only pick one course to host the U.S. Open annually, Oakmont would get my vote.
Pebble Beach - The holes along the ocean have few rivals in the world. Some may not be inspired by the inland holes, but the course is a must play.
Shinnecock Hills - Extraordinary back nine and a course that lives up to the hype. You know you are somewhere special the instant you step on the first tee.
Chambers Bay - Much better than I thought it would be going into it. Absolutely loved the design and variety throughout. It would be a challenge to lose a ball here which is always nice.
The Country Club (Brookline, MA) - Along with LACC and Riviera, my favorite parkland course. Excellent use of the terrain and elevation changes with an engaging design. Love it.
Riviera - One of the best front nines anywhere. A classic design, easy walk, and great course. A couple holes in the middle of the back nine are average, but overall it is a fantastic track.
LACC - Assuming it hosts the 2023 U.S. Open, this course makes the list. I haven't played it since the renovation, but there isn't a weak hole on the property. Among the pinnacle of parkland designs.
Kiawah Island - Along with the Honors course, it is my favorite Pete Dye design. The back nine along the coastline is as good as golf gets in America's southeast.
Prairie Dunes - Hosted U.S. Senior Open and U.S. Women's Open along with several amateur championships. The best of inland links golf before Sand Hills and Ballyneal joined the ranks.
Sebonack - Hosted U.S. Women's Open. Feels more Doak than Nicklaus to me. Extraordinary layout with plenty of elevation change. Met the lofty goal of being worthy to sit next to NGLA and Shinnecock.
Bethpage Black - An excellent test of golf and one of the finest munis on the planet bar none. I enjoyed the front nine the most but every hole there is solid. New York's parkland standard.
Whistling Straits - Absolutely spectacular setting that feels like you are on the ocean. I dislike how all the holes run north and south so that you are generally into the wind or downwind. Par 3s are special; the bunkering is way overdone.
Oak Hill - Another great parkland course. The history is great and the course is solid, though not as inspiring architecturally as other courses on this list. Front nine is fantastic with it's use of the creek and the finishing holes are stout.
Olympic Club - The most demanding course in terms of need to shape the ball of anything I've played. Often times the holes dogleg one way and the fairway slopes the other.
Atlanta Athletic Club - I liked it quite a bit; probably more than most people do. All the par 3s are the same unfortunately (200+ yards over water with bail outs to the right), but a great test and use of terrain.
Pinehurst No.2 - I like what Coore/Crenshaw did with No.2, but I'm in the minority on my feelings for the course as I think it is overrated. The terrain isn't very inspiring other than on holes 4 and 5.
Baltusrol - A straight forward golf course that is a great test for the pros but lacks imagination from an architectural perspective.
Interlachen - A classic parkland Donald Ross course with several really good holes and a handful of average holes. Fantastic clubhouse and history. I like it plenty, but not quite as much as the magazines tend to.
Blackwolf Run (River) - Hosted Women's U.S. Open. Some great holes and unfortunately a couple of really bad ones (#13 is kinda crazy). Excellent test of golf and often the favorite at Kohler's complex.
Winged Foot - Arguably the best collection of greens you'll find anywhere. Unfortunately pushing up the greens and making them great was necessary because the overall terrain is uninspiring. Didn't live up to the hype for me.
Southern Hills - A classic "pro" golf course that is a great test for pros but could use a bit more inspiration in the design. The back nine is quite good and the finishing hole is great.
Olympia Fields - Along the lines of WF and Southern Hills. Solid parkland course with a few excellent holes and then several solid holes but nothing crazy.
Hazeltine - See notes on Olympia Fields, though not quite as good. 10 and 16 are absolutely fantastic though.
Aronimink - Hosted Senior U.S. Open. No real complaints but nothing really compelling either. Fell a bit short of my hopes.
Laurel Valley - Hosted a Ryder Cup which may not qualify for this exercise. Beautiful condition and a solid design from start to finish. Nothing that blew me away but nothing I was disappointed with either.
Cherry Hills - I played it prior to the renovation and would like to get back there. Good course with a great back nine, but fell a bit short of the hype for me.
Valhalla - I like Nicklaus courses so I enjoyed Valhalla. It tends to float around the bottom of Top 100 lists which is best case scenario. The trees and rolling terrain are ideal for golf.
Minikahda - Underrated golf course and one of my favorite Donald Ross designs. Not long enough to host a major today (hosted U.S. Open in 1916), but a good golf course from start to finish with a handful of really good holes.
Sahalee - Heavily treed course which you might expect for the Seattle area. Good course but wasn't exceptional in my mind. Some deforestation could open up the course a bit an unveil architectural elements better.
Crooked Stick - A couple of exceptional holes on the front nine as well as on the back, but most of the course felt like "just another nice country club" to me rather than somewhere special. Several homes on the course.
Pine Needles - Hosted multiple Women's U.S. Opens. I'm mainly including men's tournaments on this list just because I know them better but am familiar with Pine Needles history. A nice "home" course to play everyday, but not special.
Minneapolis Golf Club - 1959 PGA. Par three 10th holes is fantastic. Parkland course with above average architectural elements but not elite.
Manito CC - 1944 PGA. Probably 1000 yards short of being able to host a major today but a decent country club. Worth playing if in Spokane but not making a special trip to.

Overall Favorite: Merion
Best Test: Oakmont
Most Fun: Chambers Bay
Prettiest: Pebble Beach then Whistling Straits
Course I could play everyday and not tire of it: Shinnecock