Vokey or X-Forged

Top Dog ·  
Top DogTop Dog Jr. Boomers  186WRX Points: 0Posts: 186
Which you you rather have? I can't decide and want some opinions on things like spin,wear,quality etc.Thanks.
Posted:

Comments

• TM golf guyTM golf guy Members  9985WRX Points: 1Posts: 9,985 Titanium Tees
    X-Forged spins more, and it has better grinds available as well.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • laxbc101laxbc101 Members  609WRX Points: 0Posts: 609 Bunkers
    I would get an X-Forged if I were you.

I had a spin milled vokey and it didnt last too long and got worn down.
    Posted:
  • deRaiLeDdeRaiLeD "You miss 100% of putts that dont make it to the hole" Jr. Boomers  86WRX Points: 0Posts: 86
    I have hit both and I found that i liked the feel of the Vokey Wedges more than the X-Forged.

But thats just my opinion. Have you tried hitting both yet?
    Posted:
  • deRaiLeDdeRaiLeD "You miss 100% of putts that dont make it to the hole" Jr. Boomers  86WRX Points: 0Posts: 86
    laxbc101 wrote on Apr 23 2008, 05:35 PM:
    I would get an X-Forged if I were you.

I had a spin milled vokey and it didnt last too long and got worn down.

I dont like spin milled. Chews up the balls I am using too quickly. Tour chrome without the spin milled grooves works great for me.
    Posted:
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members  6805WRX Points: 76Handicap: 9.8Posts: 6,805 Titanium Tees
    XForged -- no doubt for me -- having tried both side by side.

The X Forged also offers up-to-date grind - the C grind and its normal grind in the 58 and 60.

Try them both, then decide.
    Posted:
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EXS 220 16.5 wd, 19 Hy, PXG 22 Hy ● Mizuno HotMetalPro 5i/Accra i70 ● Mizuno 919F 6-PW/Accra i80 ● Mizuno MP T20 48, 53, 58 ●SeeMore Nashville
  • D16D16 Members  4WRX Points: 0Posts: 4
    I like spin milled, perfect touch and I can get good spin with it.

I would take spin milled
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • DaCorbsterDaCorbster Jr. Boomers  680WRX Points: 0Posts: 680
    i've played both...

the x forged have a better feel +1

the x forged have grind options +1

X forged spin more +1

the vokeys dont chew up balls as much as the x forged +1 for vokeys

so looks like x forged=3

vokeys=1

IMO
    Posted:
  • odshot68odshot68 MIMembers  8093WRX Points: 217Handicap: +.7Posts: 8,093 Titanium Tees
    I play both. I love the lower bounce options of the vokeys in the lob wedges but the callaway gap wedge is great for lower knock down shots. I love both. I think the callaway wedge is better with the Project X Flighted Rifle shaft for hitting the knock down low spinners...just my 2 cents! They both look and feel great though.
    Posted:

Titleist TS3 10.5 Project x HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60X
    Titleist TS2 13.5 & 18 Tensei AV Blue 65X
    Mizuno MP20 HMB #3 Steelfiber 110 Stiff
    Mizuno MP 20 5-PW DGS300
    Vokey SM8 Black 50.12F DGS200
    Callaway Jaws MD5 Tour Grey 58W DG 115 S200
    Callaway PM Grind 19 Tour Grey 64 KBS Hi Rev 2.0
    Odyssey Triple Track Double Wide Flow Putter

• birdiemachine11birdiemachine11 Members  454WRX Points: 61Posts: 454 Greens
    Out of those two, vokey or none.
    Posted:
  • BFCBFC Lefty Boomers  589WRX Points: 0Posts: 589
    I have a 60 SM Vokey and a 54 and 64 X-forged. I can't wait for the Vokey to wear out so I can get another X-forged. Vokey feels dead in my hands.
    Posted:
  • ppluvkornppluvkorn Members  91WRX Points: 0Posts: 91
    get a vokey spin milled 60* either "L" grind or "V" grind in black ox finish......pretty nice wedge
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • orangekatorangekat Members  28WRX Points: 55Posts: 28 Bunkers
    The 2008 Spin Milled wedges have less aggressive grooves this year than they did the last 2 years. Titleist has gone the opposite way of most major manufactures this year trying to have less of a shock for their customers with the R&A changes. My 07 Spin Milled will destroy a ball and the 08 has a tough time putting a nip on a new ProV.
    Posted:
  • esp1998esp1998 Members  18WRX Points: 0Posts: 18
    anyone have any proto vokesss......on here??? or Black Ox tour those are sweet
    Posted:
  • golffreak92golffreak92 Members  23WRX Points: 0Posts: 23
    I have the Vokey spin milled and it works great out of shaggier fairways and wet weather. I have also tried the x forged and it was no where close to spinning as much as the Vokey. Although I have never tried it on bentgrass fairways. One downside to the Vokey is that it chews up soft balls but it's worth for how the ball stops.
    Posted:
  • bucketmiz60bucketmiz60 Jr. Boomers  252WRX Points: 0Posts: 252
    have tried vokey but am needing all new wedges and was wondering which ones spun the most, even if they arent taylor made, titleist, or callaway, im looking for a lot of spin bc thats how i get control
    Posted:
  • golffreak92golffreak92 Members  23WRX Points: 0Posts: 23
    There is a wedge that is made by a smaller company called wishon golf. His fairway wood made the 08 hot list for golf digest and he makes a wedge called a cx micro. I have never tried one but the owner he is also the designer personnally told that he matched it up against a vokey sm and it spun more. they come in higher lofts than the spin milleds but you will have to go to his website (wishongolf.com)to see how to get one because you have to get custom fit for one which is about the same price as buying one off the rack when you're all set and done. P.S. he makes the grooves smaller and closer so their are 5 grooves catching the ball instead of 3 on a normal wedge like a ping or something thats why they call it a cx micro.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • bucketmiz60bucketmiz60 Jr. Boomers  252WRX Points: 0Posts: 252
    wow thats so odd seing as i have a 54 degree cx. the one with the nickel looking finish. It is so butter soft and still spins a lot. the only way i got it is through a master club builder i know that has an account w. wishon. good call on the wishons.
    Posted:
  • SCameron009SCameron009 ¡~WRX~! Members  1784WRX Points: 115Posts: 1,784 Platinum Tees
    I have played Vokey wedges all my life until a few months ago. I actually put in an order for the same exact set up that I had previously which was right before the X-Forged wedges came out. Short game being the most important aspect to my game, something that I work diligently on every day, it is important that I have a wedge in my hand that I feel confident in. I love Vokey wedges, but always hated that unless you went tour, there was a slim picking of grinds that could fit you individually as a player not just the whole amateur population.

I started messing around with a 58 C-Grind when a rep came to my area and I really loved the grind and how much more free the club felt going through thick lies coming out of the rough. I am a fairly high spin player so the fact of which wedge spun more was not an issue, but the overall look and feel of the X-Forged suited me as a player better than the Spin Milled did. I ended up ordering a 54 and 58 and could not be happier with them. The only downside is these wedges wear fairly quickly. I do practice my short-game every day, but within 2-3 months both of the wedges have a defined brown circle in the middle of the face - not a bad thing, but they did wear noticeably quicker than the Vokeys ever did.
    Posted:
  • joey3108joey3108 Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx Bay AreaMarshals  7884WRX Points: 256Posts: 7,884 Marshals
    They are both are good wedges and both have plus and minus. It's all about taste and fitting with your swing style and your creativity with wedges shots.

Vokey has a slight smaller head design which prefered by better player and good striker, Less grind choices unless you want to go with TVD's. More bounce choices. Lots of talked about Cast carbon steel feel is not as good as forged one which IMO a personal issue. Lot's of talk about cast 8620 is leass durable and loosing the sharpeness faster, I could agree to some degree depending how crazy we need this wedge spins and of course depending on skill level. Stock Vokey's are usually a bit heavier on SW which I prefered.

X forged is 1020 forged carbon steel. A little bigger size head but not by much, in fact not to many of us can really see it if it not side by side comparison. Awesome grinds definitely, but not much choice on the bounce angle. MD groves has plenty of spin that makes my opponent's head spins too image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':man_in_love:' />. I could agree it last a little longer, but not by much. Better feel due to 1020 forged CB, aaaah yea to some degree if you can hit them side by side to really tell...but not by much.

IMO, Wedge are about feel in your hand ( including balance ), suit your eyes behind the ball which will give us confident to make the shots and most important of all are the wedge has a match perfect bounce angle and grind for your style of play and creativity.

Lots of us neglected short game fitting, lesson and practise which IMO makes it harder for us to really be critical in chosing the right bounce and grind. Definite most of us need help on this part of the game more that our long game if we are looking for a better and more consistent scoring.

Again, these are only my opinions! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':black eye:' />

Joe

ps: comparison are within fairness of Chrome vs chrome, raw vs raw
    Posted:
  • TVQgolfTVQgolf Members  87WRX Points: 0Posts: 87
    i would go with the vokey, spins amazing, but the only thing, i can wear out pretty quickly
    Posted:
  • jcrewjcrew Members  457WRX Points: 0Posts: 457
    TVQgolf wrote on Aug 6 2008, 08:23 PM:
    i would go with the vokey, spins amazing, but the only thing, i can wear out pretty quickly

apparently you've never hit an x-forged with md grooves? If the only advantage is spin, then the callaway will win. With my experience, x-forgeds spin the ball noticeably more than vokey spin milled. (However they also tear balls up worse) With better grind options (c-grind ftw), and much better feel (imo), it's an obvious choice for me at least.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • sweeetsweeet sweeet EH! Account Hold  561WRX Points: 0Posts: 561
    joey3108 wrote on May 9 2008, 11:20 PM:
    They are both are good wedges and both have plus and minus. It's all about taste and fitting with your swing style and your creativity with wedges shots.

Vokey has a slight smaller head design which prefered by better player and good striker, Less grind choices unless you want to go with TVD's. More bounce choices. Lots of talked about Cast carbon steel feel is not as good as forged one which IMO a personal issue. Lot's of talk about cast 8620 is leass durable and loosing the sharpeness faster, I could agree to some degree depending how crazy we need this wedge spins and of course depending on skill level. Stock Vokey's are usually a bit heavier on SW which I prefered.

X forged is 1020 forged carbon steel. A little bigger size head but not by much, in fact not to many of us can really see it if it not side by side comparison. Awesome grinds definitely, but not much choice on the bounce angle. MD groves has plenty of spin that makes my opponent's head spins too image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':black eye:' />. I could agree it last a little longer, but not by much. Better feel due to 1020 forged CB, aaaah yea to some degree if you can hit them side by side to really tell...but not by much.

IMO, Wedge are about feel in your hand ( including balance ), suit your eyes behind the ball which will give us confident to make the shots and most important of all are the wedge has a match perfect bounce angle and grind for your style of play and creativity.

Lots of us neglected short game fitting, lesson and practise which IMO makes it harder for us to really be critical in chosing the right bounce and grind. Definite most of us need help on this part of the game more that our long game if we are looking for a better and more consistent scoring.

Again, these are only my opinions! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Joe

Another great post Joe, full of information regarding both wedges image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> . I myself recently switched to X-Forged retail wedges from using Vokey's before. I got my go-to clubmaker, Percy Leung (Joe Kwok of Canada image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> ) to fix up the wedges according to my specs. I got "MP" grinds on them, which I'm sure I saw once here at GolfWrx . Overall, I'm more than satisfied with my switch, and I'll be looking forward to gaming these for quite a while.
    Posted:
  • andmagandmag Members  3WRX Points: 0Posts: 3
    Boght my self a new set of X-forged wedges and I can only say that it is the best by ever. I boght 52,56 and the 60 with Mack Daddy grooves. I Used to play Vokey but I think the Callaway is slightly heavier than the vokey and that suits me.

overview.XforgedWedge.tourGrind.jpg
    Posted:
  • whatsamatta  whatsamatta Addicted to golf Members  385WRX Points: 0Posts: 385
    I have to say I love the Vokey Spin Milled's
    Posted:
  • Viking Golfer Viking Golfer Viking Golfer hitting IRON! ClubWRX  4141WRX Points: 1Posts: 4,141 Bunkers
    Best solution would be to buy some retail Vokey's or X-Forged wedges and decide what kind of wedge player you are and then have Joe make you a nice grind on each wedge, that you prefer to use for your game image/yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':black eye:' />

An also great solution would be to order some custom made wedges with a custom made grind and bounce, that you prefer and like - Scratch Tour Department wedges are made that way image/ok.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> But this will cost you some extra of these $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Posted:
  • projamieprojamie 2 iron in the MBs? Could have alot of fun with that... Members  812WRX Points: 0Posts: 812
    esp1998 wrote on May 3 2008, 11:23 PM:
    anyone have any proto vokesss......on here??? or Black Ox tour those are sweet

I have a couple... Different subject, lets not get onto it, PM if you want to discuss...

X forged are a much better wedge... last longer, better feel, better spin over the spin mill due to the MD grooves, better material used... kinda all adds up... Having played both i know what i would go back to if i had to...

Grinds really do help and the C is one of the best out there...

Unless you pay as Joe said for a TVD or if you can get your hands on a prototype vokey then the callaway x forged retail are actually better than most tour issue offererings and probably the best off the rack wedge you can buy (again putting japanese offerings asside)
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • tjewell1994tjewell1994 Jr. Boomers  1496WRX Points: 55Posts: 1,496 Platinum Tees
    the titleist vokeys have too big of a sole and make it hard to get under the ball. whereas the x-forged is a lot easier to control around the greens and are better on full wedges. vokeys are inconsistent.
    Posted:
  • im_Robim_Rob Members  330WRX Points: 0Posts: 330
    hey tommy euda man
    Posted:
  • WesleyDWesleyD Members  744WRX Points: 0Posts: 744
    joey3108 wrote on May 9 2008, 08:20 PM:

X forged is 1020 forged carbon steel. A little bigger size head but not by much, in fact not to many of us can really see it if it not side by side comparison. Awesome grinds definitely, but not much choice on the bounce angle. MD groves has plenty of spin that makes my opponent's head spins too image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />. I could agree it last a little longer, but not by much. Better feel due to 1020 forged CB, aaaah yea to some degree if you can hit them side by side to really tell...but not by much.

Again, these are only my opinions! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Joe

I think I'm gonna go with the X-forged, but they seem a little short. How long should they be if I get a 52 and a 58? And should I put the rifle flighted sand wedge shafts in a 6.5 flex, or a DG s400 or X100? Right now I hit my vokey's 52- 130 56-115 60-100 with PX 6.5s...
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • NikeDD59NikeDD59 Members  635WRX Points: 0Posts: 635
    I went from Vokeys to TM racs and now these X-forged! They are keepers!
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.