2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

FC/WT - How is it?

Thinking of playing it this next year...
Hey guys,

Now that the Thanksgiving dining is over with, I am starting to think about this upcoming golf season and what I am going to do for tourneys and what not. Looking at some of the scores for the FC/WT, I know I can compete, and if I put a couple solid rounds together, I could possibly come in contention. I have heard some good things about the tour, but I was wondering if there is a better step that I could take before I go to the AJGA before college. I haven't really looked at the IJGT scores, but the breif ones that I looked at the scores look pretty damn good for some of the courses they are playing. For guys that have played on the tour, what were your thoughts, and are there any better tours that I could start on, as a step to start playing in some national events (meaning out of the northeast). As for my game towards the end of the season, I was shooting in the Mid-Low 70's (72, 73, 74) with my bad rounds around 78-79 normally due to a lot of missed 5-10 footers.

So what's your input?

Thanks, Bryan

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

Now that the Thanksgiving dining is over with, I am starting to think about this upcoming golf season and what I am going to do for tourneys and what not. Looking at some of the scores for the FC/WT, I know I can compete, and if I put a couple solid rounds together, I could possibly come in contention. I have heard some good things about the tour, but I was wondering if there is a better step that I could take before I go to the AJGA before college. I haven't really looked at the IJGT scores, but the breif ones that I looked at the scores look pretty damn good for some of the courses they are playing. For guys that have played on the tour, what were your thoughts, and are there any better tours that I could start on, as a step to start playing in some national events (meaning out of the northeast). As for my game towards the end of the season, I was shooting in the Mid-Low 70's (72, 73, 74) with my bad rounds around 78-79 normally due to a lot of missed 5-10 footers.

So what's your input?

Thanks, Bryan

69965[/snapback]

Judging if your ready or not just depends on you. I play inon the IJGT and FCWT and they are solid tours. On the FCWT it takes right around even par to win sometimes a couple under sometimes a couple over. Its a very solid tour and you get alot of stuff at each event. longsleeve shirt, sweat shirts, balls, gloves etc.... very solid tour. Whats your age? and what is the usual lenght of course that you play?? those can be major determining factors bc they tend to play course set-ups that are getting longer and longer.

Tournament golf is ALOT different than just going out and posting scores. you can definately feel some pressure if you have high goals(which is def a good thing) you just need to play within your game.

DaN "goose" p.s. feel free to pick my brain.( that goes for anyone) :tongue:

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

Hey guys,

So what's your input?

Thanks, Bryan

69965[/snapback]

Judging if your ready or not just depends on you. I play inon the IJGT and FCWT and they are solid tours. On the FCWT it takes right around even par to win sometimes a couple under sometimes a couple over. Its a very solid tour and you get alot of stuff at each event. longsleeve shirt, sweat shirts, balls, gloves etc.... very solid tour. Whats your age? and what is the usual lenght of course that you play?? those can be major determining factors bc they tend to play course set-ups that are getting longer and longer.

Tournament golf is ALOT different than just going out and posting scores. you can definately feel some pressure if you have high goals(which is def a good thing) you just need to play within your game.

DaN "goose" p.s. feel free to pick my brain.( that goes for anyone) :tongue:

70086[/snapback]

Goose, I will be 16 when I start next year and in tournaments I typically play courses that are from 6,600-6,900 yards. I have a feeling that I will be able to shoot those scores by the middle of next year on tougher tracks, but time and practice will only tell. I have played in some big tournaments before, so I know a lot about tournament pressure and whatnot, State Ams, Junior Ams, ect. so the pressure of obtaining goals that I have set is defenitely there!

- Bryan

Bryan;

As a golf instructor with numerous students playing on several junior tours, I suggest you try for as many top-line tours as you can. If your game is good enough, you will get enough exposure and attention from colleges, plus lots of tournament experience. Along with the Future Collegiates Tour, try the IJGT, Plantations Junior Tour, and your local PGA Sectional Junior Tour, if you live in a warm weather state (i.e., Florida). In addition, the state golf associations provide a lot of junior tournaments. Sounds like you have the game, you just need the exposure and some more tournament seasoning. Try those events during the winter, and they will prep you for the AJGA for the 2006 Spring and Summer.

Judging by your own self-description, you have the game. Remember: you don't need to win everything now, just keep posting good scores and finishes. If you have a bad round, follow it up with a good round, BUT don't feel like you have to go low just to make up for it. Play your game. I have several students with college golf scholarships, as well as others with lots of attention from colleges for the near future. One of juniors won an AJGA event this year, and others have won the local PGA junior tours, as well as currently play in IJGT and Plantations Tour events. GOOD LUCK!!!

Hey guys,

So what's your input?

Thanks, Bryan

69965[/snapback]

Bryan;

As a golf instructor with numerous students playing on several junior tours, I suggest you try for as many top-line tours as you can.  If your game is good enough, you will get enough exposure and attention from colleges, plus lots of tournament experience.  Along with the Future Collegiates Tour, try the IJGT, Plantations Junior Tour, and your local PGA Sectional Junior Tour, if you live in a warm weather state (i.e., Florida).  In addition, the state golf associations provide a lot of junior tournaments.  Sounds like you have the game, you just need the exposure and some more tournament seasoning.  Try those events during the winter, and they will prep you for the AJGA for the 2006 Spring and Summer. 

Judging by your own self-description, you have the game.  Remember: you don't need to win everything now, just keep posting good scores and finishes.  If you have a bad round, follow it up with a good round, BUT don't feel like you have to go low just to make up for it.  Play your game.  I have several students with college golf scholarships, as well as others with lots of attention from colleges for the near future.  One of juniors won an AJGA event this year, and others have won the local PGA junior tours, as well as currently play in IJGT and Plantations Tour events.  GOOD LUCK!!!

70358[/snapback]

Thanks for the input! I live in Maine, and have played in the State Junior Events, the New England Section Tournaments, and have qualified for the State Am. Our State Association tournaments are not as competitive as they could be, but are a lot of fun, and there are a ton of good kids that play in them. I didn't really play in a ton of events this year (right around 20), I used it as a building season for the next couple years that are the most crucial for playing well. I worked on my swing a ton this, doing a lot of video analisys with my instructor. At the beginning of the season, I could shoot some good scores now and then but I wasn't very consistant. I am planning on playing the FC/WT starting next fall, and then start up with the IJGT, and the AJGA the spring-fall of 2007.

It sounds like there isn't a lot of negative things about the FC/WT, I was just curious if it was a good building block to gain my way and confidence for the AJGA. The Plantations Tour looks pretty good after looking at the website, I had never heard of it before this, and they seem to be more reasonable than the FCWT, IJGT, ect.

Thanks for your help, Bryan

If you want to rank the tours as far as competition

best to worst

1)AJGA

2 &3) FCWT and IJGT are just about the same competetivness wise.

4) Plantations JGT

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

Bryan;

Sounds like you have a good plan, so go ahead and stick to it. FCWT and IJGT are as good as it gets, but they are somewhat pricey. That is why I suggested the Plantations Tour; it's a good place to get experience and hone your skills for 2007, while sticking to reasonable entry fees. Don't be afraid to check out OTHER states' junior tournaments as well, such as Massachusetts, Connecticut, NY, etc. Of course, the AJGA is tops. May I also suggest you enter a couple of AJGA qualifiers next year, just to get a taste of what goes on at these tournaments. It will help you prep for the future.

Here is another tip for you: if you already have a couple of colleges in mind, e-mail them a letter (it's a good introduction) and tell them that you are interested in their school and golf program. Then ask them if they have any suggestions as to what tournaments/junior tours you should consider. DON'T FORGET TO TELL THEM THAT YOU ALREADY WILL BE IN THE AJGA, IJGT, and FCWT. Hope that helps.

Bryan;

As a golf instructor with numerous students playing on several junior tours, I suggest you try for as many top-line tours as you can.  If your game is good enough, you will get enough exposure and attention from colleges, plus lots of tournament experience.  Along with the Future Collegiates Tour, try the IJGT, Plantations Junior Tour, and your local PGA Sectional Junior Tour, if you live in a warm weather state (i.e., Florida).  In addition, the state golf associations provide a lot of junior tournaments.  Sounds like you have the game, you just need the exposure and some more tournament seasoning.  Try those events during the winter, and they will prep you for the AJGA for the 2006 Spring and Summer. 

Judging by your own self-description, you have the game.  Remember: you don't need to win everything now, just keep posting good scores and finishes.  If you have a bad round, follow it up with a good round, BUT don't feel like you have to go low just to make up for it.  Play your game.  I have several students with college golf scholarships, as well as others with lots of attention from colleges for the near future.  One of juniors won an AJGA event this year, and others have won the local PGA junior tours, as well as currently play in IJGT and Plantations Tour events.  GOOD LUCK!!!

70358[/snapback]

Thanks for the input! I live in Maine, and have played in the State Junior Events, the New England Section Tournaments, and have qualified for the State Am. Our State Association tournaments are not as competitive as they could be, but are a lot of fun, and there are a ton of good kids that play in them. I didn't really play in a ton of events this year (right around 20), I used it as a building season for the next couple years that are the most crucial for playing well. I worked on my swing a ton this, doing a lot of video analisys with my instructor. At the beginning of the season, I could shoot some good scores now and then but I wasn't very consistant. I am planning on playing the FC/WT starting next fall, and then start up with the IJGT, and the AJGA the spring-fall of 2007.

It sounds like there isn't a lot of negative things about the FC/WT, I was just curious if it was a good building block to gain my way and confidence for the AJGA. The Plantations Tour looks pretty good after looking at the website, I had never heard of it before this, and they seem to be more reasonable than the FCWT, IJGT, ect.

Thanks for your help, Bryan

70374[/snapback]

• 4 weeks later...

FCWT is a great tour. It is the best winter competition you will find tour wise. AJGA is during the summer and some are at the end of the year (ie. The Polo). FCWT is run very well with great guys and great competiton. I played in the one at Cog Hill and finished second and lost by a shot. If you are looking for just a step down from FCWT play in the IJGT. I think this should help you out a little.

Adam

• 2 years later...

The FCWT is probably the best winter junior tour out there. Having been from up north, having the opportunity to play in these events helped me to keep my game up during the winter months by traveling to some warmer climates. The competition is always solid and the tournaments are always run efficiently and even though the entry fees are a little pricey, you are guaranteed to be playing a quality golf course, and still get some merchandise thrown in; towel, balls, clothes, etc.

As for the AJGA, hands down this is a must if you are looking to play collegiate golf. These events are where all the college coaches come to scout out players, especially the invitational events i.e. the polo, thunderbird, rolex, etc.

I believe to play in the qualifiers you still have to be a member of the tour, but they are a great way to earn your way into events and start making a name for yourself if you play well.

• 2 months later...