RECAP: Big Bertha Alpha 815 chat with Callaway Golf

HipCheck

Any plans to use the OptiFit Adaptors on the 2/3/4/5 Deep series of Fairway Woods?

Thanks ahead of time Fellas.... Will be traveling for work and won't be able to pay attention live but thanks for your time and attention.

:hi:

9.5 Opti440 - Fujikura Rombax 5Wo6 X

Taylormade 17.9 4 wood - NVX (X)
Adams DHY Hybrid X
Cobra ACP's 4-PW
MD2's 52/58
LowTide FIN #5 Custom

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seemed like the original Alpha was not the prominent driver in tour players bags and that the Xhot and x2 were in more bags. Why do you think that was? Do you think these new alphas will have a larger tour presence?

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Does callaway plan to continue the x forged series players irons, or is the apex pro supposed to take over the series being that both irons play very similar as a players CB iron.

Also does Callaway plan to continue the deep series? And will we see a 4 wood version, or perhaps adjustable versions?

Thank you in advance!

Callaway Razr Fit 10.5° S+ Diamana Blueboard 63 Stiff Flex
Callaway Razr Hawk 3 wood TC 14° Diamana Kail'i 70 Stiff Flex
Adams D-hy 21° Aldila Tour Blue Stiff Flex
Callaway X-Utility Prototype iron 24° 6.0
Srixon i-506 irons 5-PW 6.0
Titleist SM5 F Grind 50°
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 58°
Wilson Staff 8883 Milled Putter

In regards to the shaft options, I noticed that the Matrix 7M3 Black Tie that was a no-charge upgrade in my Razr FIT Extreme is now a $225.00 upgrade making the DBD into a $725 driver, and there are only a few choices that would be "free." What goes into these decisions in regards to what is a no-charge upgrade?

Thank you again for everything and don't worry about having me in the drawing. You have done PLENTY for me with the ApexMB's.

How much weight could use possibly go up to in the core before it would be detrimental to the design of the club?

Are there going to be options for different gravity core weights in the future? If so I need one please and thank you.

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1415573165' post='10421115']
In regards to the shaft options, I noticed that the Matrix 7M3 Black Tie that was a no-charge upgrade in my Razr FIT Extreme is now a $225.00 upgrade making the DBD into a $725 driver, and there are only a few choices that would be "free." What goes into these decisions in regards to what is a no-charge upgrade?

Thank you again for everything and don't worry about having me in the drawing. You have done PLENTY for me with the ApexMB's.
[/quote]

The replacement for the Matrix 7M3 is the Matrix 7M4 and that is available at no cost. :)

[quote name='HISPL' timestamp='1415575454' post='10421273']

[/quote]

The replacement for the Matrix 7M3 is the Matrix 7M4 and that is available at no cost. :)
[/quote]

Callaway website doesn't show that shaft as an option for the DBD (at least in the USA)... but the question still stands in regards to what goes into deciding on which are stock/no-charge upgrade vs. which shafts are an uncharge. :)

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1415575612' post='10421297']
[quote name='HISPL' timestamp='1415575454' post='10421273']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Callaway website doesn't show that shaft as an option for the DBD (at least in the USA)... but the question still stands in regards to what goes into deciding on which are stock/no-charge upgrade vs. which shafts are an uncharge. :)
[/quote]
In Australia at least, if a driver is a no cost option in a less expensive model then you can order it at no cost in a more expensive model. At least over the last few years anyway :)

Please answer this question for me. Was there ever a definitive answer on what was happening to the majority of us that were purchasing Apex Pro irons? I don't know them, but myself I was left pretty dissatisfied with Callaway and the way that your customer service team handled the situation (for me anyways). I know many around here had the same issues and I was basically told to deal with it. The main issue was the way that the clubs were finishing, the browning after 2-3 rounds of use, the noticeable scratches just from clubs rubbing off against each other, the noticeable ferrule separation, etc. I'm not posting this to get anything from Callaway, but I feel like something needed to be done at the time, and it left me feeling pretty sour about Callaway and the way they handle their customers.

This is fantastic.

[color=#FF0000][b]Q: [/b][/color]This one is about the new BBA 815 Fairways. While not introduced to the NA market yet they are no secrete. They are sold on the Australian site.

[color=#FF0000][b]a) [/b][/color]What was the thought process behind selecting a different weight shape compared to those used on the drivers? I understand from an engineering and design standpoint that the 30gr-3gr combo yields the results you are looking for. I'm not asking why that combo. What I'm asking is why not select a weight system that works across the board? I would have loved to be able to change the SW with such ease. There are dense materials that can produce a 30 gr weight that would be the exact same mold fitment as the weights in the driver lines.

[color=#FF0000][b]b) [/b][/color]Will other weights for the FW be available to the public?

[color=#FF0000][b]c) [/b][/color]If no additional weights are available, why not leave the consumer with the option of changing the weights? Wouldn't this fall under Callaway's approach regarding adjustability, tuning and ample selection. With no weights wouldn't this be against what Callaway has been promoting? (Answer pending Answer b)

Thanks again for your time and thanks GWRX for setting this up.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

Question for Mr Manwaring, if you had to choose just one, what is the single most important aspect in an iron that drives the direction of the irons Callaway produces knowing that pros are paid to play Callaway product and most amateurs can swing like them ? Forgiveness, workability, asthetics?

I found the Callaway drivers the past season had great feel and sound, but when I demo'd them, they spun way too much for me, even the alpha. Do you think the 815DBD can compete with the SLDR and the Cobra Bio Cell Plus and Pro when it comes to low spin? Obviously the SLDR wasn't a very forgiving driver, but the Cobra BC+ and BCP were low spin and very forgiving. Can the DBD match those in both categories?

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

What changes were incorporated in the new drivers and/or fairways based upon feedback from tour staff players compared to previous product?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer questions here.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I am a TM guy when it comes to drivers. What would you recommend I should try and what advantage would that driver have to replace my gamer.

Thank you.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3, 5Wood Ventus Black TR 7S

Titleist T200U 2 and 3 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 4-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Super Select NP (ordered)

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

What will be the iron releases in 2015, will their be irons replacing the Apex and Apex Pro?

Ping G Elements Chrome 5F4
Srixon F65 17 Stock Stiff

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 Stock Recoil

Titleist AP2 716 DG SL TI S300 4-PW

Titleist SM5 Tour Chrome 50/08 F, 54/10 M and SM7 58/14 K Grind S300

Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Indy

How much does the fact that the X2 Hot. X2 Hot Pro, Big Bertha, Big Bertha Alpha, Big Bertha V, Big Bertha 815, and the Big Bertha 815 DBD have all been played on the professional tours (Web, PGA, LPGA, European,) this year validate the technology that is in use for these clubs?
Callaway, building the best clubs you can play.

The last couple of years you have really opened up the "stock" shaft options by allowing more shafts at no upcharge, starting with steel shafts in your irons last year and including your graphite shafts with your drivers this year. Is this trend going to continue into your hybrids and your fairway woods, giving everyone a better opportunity to find the shaft profile that can fit them with those clubs?

Thanks!

What is it like in the Callaway headquarters when Phil makes the decision to put a different "Rival brand" club in his bag?

Have you experimented with gravity cores being inserted on angles at all instead of straight in?

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

I currently play the Callaway X2hot Pro 8.5 with an Aldila Blue shaft. Having played golf since before the original Bertha came out (and that was considered very big at the time), I find it difficult to look down at most 460CC drivers. I love the look and the shape of the X2hot Pro, but I am looking for something with a little more configuration. Which of the two 815 drivers would give me a similar look and feel to the X2hot Pro and not look like a toaster on the end of stick? I think I can get past the 460CC if it doesn't look like it's 460CC.

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

Hey guys, first off thank you for taking the time out of your scheduels to talk with a bunch of crazies like us. It's always fun to get a little sneak peak into what goes on in the behind the scenes work of club production. And also, great work in "reviving" the Callaway brand, as a former user of the Big Bertha and Great Big Bertha in my high school days it's great to see the brand turn around, and I'm loving the X2Hot Pro 3w in my bag right now, and the Deep series is fantastic as well.

My question is in regards to the current Big Bertha V series line of clubs. When I first heard of these clubs and saw the early pics I was ecstatic, a revival of the clubs I used and loved in the past. But when I saw the specs and swung a few I was a bit dismayed due to the lack of head weight, specifically in the fairways. I love the size, finish, look and feel, and totally understand the intention of more club speed was when these were designed and released, but the light weight makes them very difficult for me to game. In the design process was there any discussion of whether this might sort of overlook a part of the golfing public? And are there any plans to release a "pro" or tour line with a bit heavier weight in the near future similar to what you've done with the X2Hots and the X2Hot Pros, and also the blue Big Bertha fairways and their limited pro version? I'd love to game the 3w and 7w or heavenwood, but without hotmelting them (with which I have zero experience) I just cannot be consistent. Thanks guys and keep up the good work.

Ok congrats Callaway on creating such a buzz on the new 815. I tried the big Bertha Alpha and with the Gravity core up or down it just didn't work for me. The Big Bertha with the sliding weight became my gamer. I love the idea of low spin with forgiveness so the 815 is my next driver. What is the biggest factor in determining whether the Gravity Core should be up or down. I want to fine tune that baby and get the most out of the engineering. The Rogue shaft is definitely a perfect companion.

One OEM got a lot of coverage last year with a low/forward CG design in their driver, but we've also seen high profile releases this year that use a low/back CG. Do you think it will be possible to reconcile these differing philosophies?

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange