Mikey Town's WITB - New Wedges

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='EK16' timestamp='1412878625' post='10261349']Sick Byrons! How are the finishes holding up on the @SS with blue oil? Trying to figure out if I want to go blue oil or mystic.

I'm drawing inspiration from your DH89 for the one I'm about to order. Love the school of fish on the bottom of the eraser.[/quote]

holy smokes! I was about to post the same thing as I am gearing up to order a dh89 myself and wanted to know about the durability of the blue oil finish

915D3
Adams Pro Mini
Cobra S3 Pro
SM6
Byron Morgan DH89

[quote name='EK16' timestamp='1412878625' post='10261349']
Sick Byrons! How are the finishes holding up on the @SS with blue oil? Trying to figure out if I want to go blue oil or mystic.

I'm drawing inspiration from your DH89 for the one I'm about to order. Love the school of fish on the bottom of the eraser.
[/quote]

[quote name='seank237' timestamp='1412889160' post='10262283']
holy smokes! I was about to post the same thing as I am gearing up to order a dh89 myself and wanted to know about the durability of the blue oil finish
[/quote]

If you guys are looking for a finish that will always look the same, this isn't the finish for you. The blue oil on stainless steel does change. It changes in a way I didn't expect it to, also... it's more like a patina of sorts. The finish will start to have hues of golds and light browns, with a little red tossed in the mix. Personally, I don't mind it. It adds character and shows that the putter is something that is used, not just admired. However, if you are expecting it to stay the same color blue forever, you will be disappointed.

That said, I had a tragedy occur that resulted in a ding on the topline of that putter. I took it to Byron for a refinish and got it back a few weeks ago. The ding is gone and "The Eraser" is back to its original, bright blue glory.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 1 month later...

Some quick updates, as my table and photos are WAY out of date...

[b]Current Bag Setup[/b]

Ping G30 9* (at the 10*) setting with two shafts.
1. Fubuki Alpha 73 X-Stiff
2. Speeder VC TS 6.3 X-Stiff
I'm still testing, and need more time on course with them, but I'm really leaning toward the 6.3. It kicks just a bit harder than the Fubuki Alpha and, after a few recent swing changes, I am really liking the little bit of extra spin that I'm getting out of that shaft. It's helping the ball hang in the air just a bit longer, without over-spinning and ballooning.

Tour Edge Exotics CB5 15* with Fubuki Tour 73 X-Stiff
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 18* with Fubuki Tour 73 X-Stiff

Mizuno MP H4 4i (playing at 21.5*) with SteelFiber i95 X-Stiff
Bridgestone J40 5-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno MP T4 50* and 56* with KBS Tour Custom White Stiff
Mizuno MP R12 60* with KBS Tour Custom White Stiff

White Ping Hoofer
White/Grey Stitch Headcovers

I put the DH89 back in the bag last weekend. It's phenomenal... can't say anything bad about it. That said, I had been putting really well with the 612, so that will probably go back in the bag for a club tournament this weekend.

[b]Special Notes[/b]

Vic - Thanks for hooking me up with the 6.3. It took a while to get it into a club head, but it's there... and it's working out quite well. I still owe you a sushi dinner. When will you be in town next?

Brandon - Thanks for hooking a brother up with the G30. So far, so good, and I hope the Bio Cell Pro is everything it used to be for you... until you sell it in a couple weeks. ;)

Tai - When I got the new Hoofer, I figured it was finally time for a new towel. It's still a Skylinks towel... but at least it's new!

Charley - A few things:
1. Congrats on your beautiful baby girl.
2. It was a pleasure to join you for the last round of golf you will play for the next 18 years. You played great and went out with a bang.
3. I'll handle this next part, so you don't have to trouble yourself with it...
:worth:

Cheers,

Mike

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='ahbot' timestamp='1416505027' post='10478495']
The G30 was dropping BOMBS on Sunday.
[/quote]

Thank you, sir! I hope that the bombs will continue.

It looks like the 6.3 is going to be a winner in this head.

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1416509451' post='10478903']
Oh boy, what'd I miss?
[/quote]

In the last couple months? You haven't missed much. Continued swing changes, a small change in my left hand grip and some driver tinkering. Other than that... nothing much to write home about.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

[quote name='ahbot' timestamp='1416518111' post='10479673']
[size=4]WOW. Really? I wanna hit it the next time we get out. [/size]
[/quote]

You got it, brother.

It's probably going to go WAY too high for you, but you can hit it as much as you like.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

[b]BREAKING NEWS![/b]

Last minute, holiday themed, addition before the men's club tourney on Saturday:

Venti Gingerbread Latte with [i]EXTRA MSI[/i]

[i][attachment=2506037:GLMSI.JPG][/i]

Oh yes... the G30 will be going long this weekend!

Cheers,

Mike

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

I've been a member on here for a little while now, so I figured that it's about time to do one of these.

Without further ado...

Mikey%20Town%27s%20WITB.jpg

Photos of the whole setup are now complete. Enjoy...

The Setup

Bag%201.jpg

Putters

Byron Morgan "DaBlade"

DaBlade-11.jpg

DaBlade-14.jpg

DaBlade-15.jpg

DaBlade-16.jpg

DaBlade-17.jpg

Byron Morgan DH89 "Eraser"

Eraser-1.jpg

Eraser-2.jpg

Eraser-3.jpg

Eraser-4.jpg

Eraser-5.jpg

Byron Morgan 612 "Grinder"

Grinder-1.jpg

Grinder-2.jpg

Grinder-3.jpg

Grinder-4.jpg

Gap, Sand and Lob Wedges

Wedges.jpg

6 Iron Through Pitching Wedge (Satin Chrome finish by The Iron Factory)

MP69-1.jpg

MP69-2.jpg

MP69-3.jpg

Iron and Wedge Shaft

Iron%20and%20Wedge%20Shaft.jpg

2 and 4 Irons (Stickers removed and Satin Chrome finish by The Iron Factory)

MPH4-2.jpg

MPH4-3.jpg

2 and 4 Iron Shaft

2%20and%204%20Shaft%201.jpg

2%20and%204%20Shaft%202.jpg

5 Wood

5%20Wood.jpg

5 Wood Shaft

5%20Wood%20Shaft.jpg

3 Wood

3%20Wood.jpg

3 Wood Shaft

3%20Wood%20Shaft.jpg

3 and 5 Wood

3%20and%205%20Wood%20Crowns.jpg

Driver

Driver.jpg

Driver%20Crown.jpg

Driver Shaft

Driver%20Shaft.jpg

​Sunfish Headcovers

(shown with hybrid cover... the matching 5 wood cover is currently being made)

Headcovers.jpg

A Few More Full Bag Shots

Bag%203.jpg

Bag%204.jpg

Bag%202.jpg

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions about anything in my bag. I'd be more than happy to help as best I can.

Special thanks to:

- Tai (Pure745), for allowing me to borrow the design element he created for use on my putters.

- Byron Morgan, for executing my putters flawlessly and exceeding my custom putter expectations in every way.

- Matt Pham, for being the best club fitter and builder I've ever had the pleasure of working with.

- David at Sunfish, for making a high quality headcover, for a reasonable price, and always being quick to respond to any questions.

- Craig at Jacob Hill Leathers, for being a part of the best customer service I've ever received... my 2 lizard belts and custom buckle (not pictured) are amazing.

Cheers,

Mike

WOW love love this bag

The Chart is Excellent, man after my own heart

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

• 4 months later...

What a great bag and setup!

TaylorMade M2 2016, 8.0* UST ATTAS GoGo 5 6X
TaylorMade SLDR 14.3* UST Chrome 8FT5
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18* Speeder TS HB 9.8X
Srixon Z 765 4-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S
Titleist SM6 50F, 56M, 60K Kuro Kage TiNi LBP 105TX
Evnroll ER2

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/921839-first-witb-guess-where-im-from/"]WITB Link[/url]

First - Awesome bag!
Second - Nice photos! Loving the bokeh on all of the pics! What are you shooting with?

Cobra Aerojet Max 9* Graphite Design ADHD6
TM Stealth 2 HD 16* Fujikura 757
TM Stealth 2 HD 20* Hybrid KBS Tour Graphite Prototype
Titleist T100s Black 4-AW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM8 Black Edition 54* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Buttonback NP2 w/ LAGP 135

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 & NP2+ w/ MMT Putter Shaft
Scotty Cameron H21 w/ Stability Tour Shaft

Scotty Cameron 9.5 Triple Black

Scotty Cameron 7.2 Limited w/ MMT Putter Shaft

First - Awesome bag!

Second - Nice photos! Loving the bokeh on all of the pics! What are you shooting with?

Thanks for the kind words.

I REALLY need to do some updated photos... this stuff is so out-of-date, it's embarrassing!

All photos were taken with either a Canon 7D/EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 or a Fuji X-E1/35 f/1.4 XF R. I like my Canon equipment, but the Fuji is just so much fun to shoot with that the Canon only comes out for weddings and events, these days. I do 90% of my casual shooting with the Fuji.

I know this is a golf forum and all, but what the heck...

X-E1-1.jpg

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

First - Awesome bag!

Thanks for the kind words.

I REALLY need to do some updated photos... this stuff is so out-of-date, it's embarrassing!

All photos were taken with either a Canon 7D/EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 or a Fuji X-E1/35 f/1.4 XF R. I like my Canon equipment, but the Fuji is just so much fun to shoot with that the Canon only comes out for weddings and events, these days. I do 90% of my casual shooting with the Fuji.

I know this is a golf forum and all, but what the heck...

X-E1-1.jpg

Oh man, thats awesome! Good shootin'!

Cobra Aerojet Max 9* Graphite Design ADHD6
TM Stealth 2 HD 16* Fujikura 757
TM Stealth 2 HD 20* Hybrid KBS Tour Graphite Prototype
Titleist T100s Black 4-AW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM8 Black Edition 54* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Buttonback NP2 w/ LAGP 135

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 & NP2+ w/ MMT Putter Shaft
Scotty Cameron H21 w/ Stability Tour Shaft

Scotty Cameron 9.5 Triple Black

Scotty Cameron 7.2 Limited w/ MMT Putter Shaft

Picked up a new toy a couple days ago.

A classic Anser 2, with a few Ping WRX customizations? Yes, please!

This one is going to get some bag time. The sound is absolutely addicting.

More photos have been added to the OP, but here's a little teaser...

Ping%20WRX%203.jpg

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

Very interesting that all your previous putters had sight dots, but your new putter has a sightline in the flange. Do you still line up the putter the same way?

I used to use the line on the flange to line up putts, but then I learned to square the face to line up putts. After that, alignment lines started bothering me, so I got rid of my putters with sightlines and have only bought ones with sight dots since.

[quote name='mnmlistgolfr' timestamp='1427553185' post='11234091']
Very interesting that all your previous putters had sight dots, but your new putter has a sightline in the flange. Do you still line up the putter the same way?

I used to use the line on the flange to line up putts, but then I learned to square the face to line up putts. After that, alignment lines started bothering me, so I got rid of my putters with sightlines and have only bought ones with sight dots since.
[/quote]

I don't reeally have a problem lining putts up either way. I have a couple putters (Newport 2 and an old John Byron) that aren't pictured that have sight lines, so it's not exactly new to me.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

This is quite possibly the most beautiful WITB I've seen on this site. The presentation and photos are fantastic. And the irons and putters are sublime. Well done!

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Diamana D+ 63g Stiff
Callaway XR 5 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Callaway XR 7 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist 915 H 24*, Diamana D+ 82 HY Stiff
Ping i500, DG S300 105
Ping Glide 2.0 54 & 58, Ping AMT Stiff
Scotty Cameron CA Monterey, 35"

• 2 weeks later...

Photos of the new putter have been added to the original post.

Lajosi DD201 w/Copper Insert. This one is a stunner...

DD201-1.jpg

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

MT that Lajosi is UNFREAKINGREAL
any updated pics of the bag on the way?

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='enis750' timestamp='1428547779' post='11316315']
MT that Lajosi is UNFREAKINGREAL
any updated pics of the bag on the way?
[/quote]

Thanks man... I'm really happy with how it turned out!

I need to just do it... I've been so lazy, it's not even funny.

Driver, irons, lob wedge, bag and headcovers are all different.

I'll be around the house for the majority of Saturday. I'll try to find it in myself to step away from The Masters for a bit and do some updated photos of the bag.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

well have to admit...sick Lajosi! Well not a big suprise ;)

TaylorMade M2 2016, 8.0* UST ATTAS GoGo 5 6X
TaylorMade SLDR 14.3* UST Chrome 8FT5
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18* Speeder TS HB 9.8X
Srixon Z 765 4-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S
Titleist SM6 50F, 56M, 60K Kuro Kage TiNi LBP 105TX
Evnroll ER2

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/921839-first-witb-guess-where-im-from/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Well... the driver is on the chopping block! :butcher:

I'm currently using a 9* G30, set at 10*, with a Fubuki alpha 63 X. It's a good club, but I feel like I should be getting more out of it. I can hit fairways pretty well and usually don't have a problem finding the middle of the face. However, my carry distance is only in the 240-250 range these days.

My last driver fitting was over 2 years ago and that was before I went through a TON of swing changes. Now that the swing is feeling more like it's my own, it's time for another fitting. I have one booked for next Wednesday (4/22) at Cool Clubs in Irvine, CA. Ideally, we will be able to dial in something that will tack on a few extra carry yards and be a little easier to shape shots with, without giving up [i]too[/i] much forgiveness.

Aside from the G30, I've also recently picked up a 10.5* R15 430 TP. I demo'd it on-course with good results, so both of those drivers will come to the fitting with me, along with the stock 757 Stiff (from the R15) and a 6.3 VC TS X that I have with a TM tip on it. If I'm fitted into one of those combos, it will be easy. If not, it looks like I'll be trading some stuff in over at Roger Dunn in the near future.

So... what do you guys think will happen? I'm going into this with an open mind, and no brand loyalty. I also don't care about "cool factor." If they fit me into something that is bone stock, then that's fine. That just means it won't cost me as much. All I care about are the results.

The brands available at the fitting (that I know of) will be:

Callaway
Nike
Ping
TaylorMade
Titleist

In addition to those heads, they also have pretty much every shaft known to man.

Place your bets now... what head do you think I'll be fit into? Any guesses on shafts? This is basically a blind guess without any of my numbers to go off of, but that's OK... it's just for the fun of speculation.

Cheers,

Mike

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

Well... the driver is on the chopping block! :butcher:

I'm currently using a 9* G30, set at 10*, with a Fubuki alpha 63 X. It's a good club, but I feel like I should be getting more out of it. I can hit fairways pretty well and usually don't have a problem finding the middle of the face. However, my carry distance is only in the 240-250 range these days.

My last driver fitting was over 2 years ago and that was before I went through a TON of swing changes. Now that the swing is feeling more like it's my own, it's time for another fitting. I have one booked for next Wednesday (4/22) at Cool Clubs in Irvine, CA. Ideally, we will be able to dial in something that will tack on a few extra carry yards and be a little easier to shape shots with, without giving up [i]too[/i] much forgiveness.

Aside from the G30, I've also recently picked up a 10.5* R15 430 TP. I demo'd it on-course with good results, so both of those drivers will come to the fitting with me, along with the stock 757 Stiff (from the R15) and a 6.3 VC TS X that I have with a TM tip on it. If I'm fitted into one of those combos, it will be easy. If not, it looks like I'll be trading some stuff in over at Roger Dunn in the near future.

So... what do you guys think will happen? I'm going into this with an open mind, and no brand loyalty. I also don't care about "cool factor." If they fit me into something that is bone stock, then that's fine. That just means it won't cost me as much. All I care about are the results.

The brands available at the fitting (that I know of) will be:

Callaway
Nike
Ping
TaylorMade
Titleist

In addition to those heads, they also have pretty much every shaft known to man.

Place your bets now... what head do you think I'll be fit into? Any guesses on shafts? This is basically a blind guess without any of my numbers to go off of, but that's OK... it's just for the fun of speculation.

Cheers,

Mike

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)