Best shot you have ever hit?

Idris789

Fellow Wrxers I want to hear stories about the best shot you have ever hit (I apologize if this thread already exsists)

So tell me about your most pure shot you've ever hit in a tourney, a casual round etc.

The best shot I've ever hit is probably my first eagle.

It was at my home course Hole #6 is a Par 4 about 380 or so from the back tees I had 155 to the middle of the green pulled a 8 iron and pured it with a perfect fade right at the flag and it went in for my first eagle.

It made it even more special that I was playing with my dad and he got to see the best shot I have ever hit.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bite,

2 man scramble tourney with my brother In law, big 523yd par 5. Great drive on the left side of the fairway, the group we were playing with was a shot ahead of us and they were in trouble for their second shot. 15th hole, left us about 235 yds to the green with a front pin location. My partner hits hybrid but missed green right, (other group had to pitch out into the fairway) so we had a good chance at picking up a shot on them, I grab a 4iron and start my routine, my brother in law goes.. What are you hitting? I said 4i, he says "we're 235 out" I said I know. He kinda looked at me like "you're retarted.." So I line it up and just flush a full swing 9. Baby fade going right at the pin! It lands about 7fy short of the pin and ends up about 10ft to the righ, pin high. Partner made the eagle putt. Huge momentum shift. 1st place followed that shot.

[quote name='Daddy_Danglez' timestamp='1416772213' post='10492549']
I'll bite,

2 man scramble tourney with my brother In law, big 523yd par 5. Great drive on the left side of the fairway, the group we were playing with was a shot ahead of us and they were in trouble for their second shot. 15th hole, left us about 235 yds to the green with a front pin location. My partner hits hybrid but missed green right, (other group had to pitch out into the fairway) so we had a good chance at picking up a shot on them, I grab a 4iron and start my routine, my brother in law goes.. What are you hitting? I said 4i, he says "we're 235 out" I said I know. He kinda looked at me like "you're retarted.." So I line it up and just flush a full swing 9. Baby fade going right at the pin! It lands about 7fy short of the pin and ends up about 10ft to the righ, pin high. Partner made the eagle putt. Huge momentum shift. 1st place followed that shot.
[/quote] 235 4 iron, pretty impressive. Especially in a tourney like setting.

My father and I had played in his club's Member-Guest for several years without much success. The format was that each two person team played a handicapped best ball against another team in a series of 5 nine hole matches. My father played well beyond his normal game and we won the first 4 matches. Our 5th and final match was against the previous year's Member-Guest winners. It was a battle and we got to the last hole all square, once again thanks to my father. I hit a decent drive and had a 4-iron (back when I still carried one!) from a hanging lie. My father put his approach into the water hazard so everything pretty much rode on me. Picked that 4 iron clean, over the hazard and on to the well bunkered green. Two putts and we were champions. I am not sure whether it was that 4-iron or the 2 1/2 foot sliding 2nd putt for par that was the better shot. I was choking up fur balls that entire last hole.

hit the flag for a gimme birdie on a 160yd par 3, in an interclub match, with the match all square, with us as the last 2 players on the course and our teams tied for the overall points lead.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

My best shots are usually recovery shots after hitting a terrible shot. Like the snap hook with a 3-iron out of the trees. Or a ridiculous flop shot or wedge over the trees.

Best other than recovery shot would be a 3-wood from 245 to 1 foot for an eagle.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

Second shot to par four, pond fronting green with about ten feet of fringe. 185 to front pin. Back then a 5 iron except lie a bit downhill so take a 6 iron out instead, flush it, and it lands a little short of green and runs into cup for eagle. Cool.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Some close friends had been wanting to attend a fundraiser by a musician that includes a concert and is focused around a scramble. The problem being that none of them play golf and the hotel rooms and tickets are deeply discounted for participants in the scramble. I sign up and play with a twosome and another single that didn't have a partner. I end up being "that guy" running late for the shotgun start and barely get to the hole in time. The other fellas turn out to be decent players and fun to hang out with which was nice. We're playing a big resort course where several tour players ceremoniously hold their tour cards. We make the turn and I don't even notice the starter house until after we hit our drives. The starter jumps in his cart and races out to the fairway where we're standing trying to determine which ball to use for the scramble. It appears that I've driven mine through the fairway into the first cut surrounding a hazard we thought was out of play from the championship tees. The starter inquires rather loudly, "who's ball is THAT?" I sheepishly answer "mine" thinking I've done something wrong. He then goes on to compliment the shot saying it's the longest ball he's ever seen hit at that hole. I'm sure he was pulling my leg a little but it was a nice compliment. I'm usually an average distance hitter but pured the hell out of that drive and probably got a good bounce or two.

Eighteenth hole at a muni track. Par 3 185yd. I hit my three wood. The ball was a screamn' missile straight over the green and a going north. We hear a CLINK and see the ball bounce back onto the green. Turns out there was a memorial plaque on the tree for a long time member of the course who happen to be my science teacher in middle school.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1416789225' post='10493709']
Eighteenth hole at a muni track. Par 3 185yd. I hit my three wood. The ball was a screamn' missile straight over the green and a going north. We hear a CLINK and see the ball bounce back onto the green. Turns out there was a memorial plaque on the tree for a long time member of the course who happen to be my science teacher in middle school.
[/quote] I take it you were his favorite student? :)[size=4] [/size]

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

That one is hard to quantify.

I mean three holes in one would be right up there for best ever. Then again any hole out from 140 on out would be in the running too ( I have 10 of those) several weeks back I was getting my butt kicked in a stableford match and holed out from 65 yds to win.

Then again this last weekend, I flushed a three wood from 250 and parked the ball in the middle of the green on a par 5 in two putting for eagle, missed the eagle but got the bird, that was pretty sweet. I over cooked a hook off the 2nd hole tee and had to hit a low burning 4 iron approx 85 yds through what amounted to a 3 foot by 5 foot window. or on #11 today, hook off the tee, have to back hand the shot into the fairway, hit a gap wedge to 3 foot and save par.

All of those fit the bill, the longer you play, the more of these you would have to choose from.

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
[url="Seemore%20Putter"]WITB Link[/url]
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

#11 at Tobacco Road...we were playing in a large group of 16 and were playing scats... I started being aggressive on all Par 5's and hit tee shots to the bitter edge of the doglegs. I end up hitting the tee shot just to the edge and it dropped down in the waste area...if you have ever seen this hole the elevation to the front of the green is ridiculous...so being short is not an option...I pulled my hybrid and hit it up just happy to be on top...drive around and I am 3 feet from the hole...knees knocking putt it in for Eagle and pocket $50 (Double Eagle considering we played handicaps).

[quote name='Idris789' timestamp='1416779244' post='10492981']
I'll bite,

[/quote] gotta love Taylormade's jacked up lofts lol

Playing Adm. Baker South in San Diego, I hit driver into a short par 4 (265yds). Ball lands a foot above the cup, and the dew line tracked down the left edge of the cup to a foot below the cup. Tapped in the putt for eagle. Also has been the closest i have been to an Ace.

Hit my best two balls when i stepped on a rake. (I couldn't resist)

I felt really good about that shot....
Until I hit it.

Doing the qualifying for our state am. Never played the course before and it is a tricky little target golf course. First hole hit ball into a hazard I was told "was never in play" and made a double. Next hole is a par 5 where I was told "go as far left as you want, but you can't go right of the fairway at all". So of course I duck hook the ball about 200 yards off the tee and forced to lay up to about 110. Hit SW about 5 ft past the hole and draw it back for a 3. Then go birdie birdie on the next two holes to be -2 after 4 with a double!

I qualified pretty easily after that and made the next stage, qualified for matchplay and ended up loosing to the eventual champion in 19-holes. I trace it all back to that SW!

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Hit a 5 iron on a 190 yard Par 3 over the top of the pin and spun it back into the hole for an ace in a tournament. That was back in 2000 when the Titleist Professional wound ball with urethane cover was the top ball. It was pre-Pro V1 era back then. The Pro V1 debuted in 2000 but it wasn't until later a lot of us played it.

Not nearly as dramatic as some others here, but one of my favorite shots ever (actually twice) took place at Carolina National Heron #1, par4.

I play left handed.

Hit good drives to right side of fairway, but stand of trees jets out from the right to block my view of the green. Im 155 out. Been working on a high draw. So I set up for it, rehearse the swing, and go for it. Ball starts left of the trees, draws back to middle of green both times. Make par both times. Just a great feeling.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

A 3-iron from 235 yards over water. It was my second shot into a par 5. I first held my 4-iron but switched the last second because it was cold and it was a bit in to the wind. I go for the 3-iron and it comes out perfect. A high 2-3yard draw and it is headed right at the pin. Carries about 4 yards short of the hole and just drops in the hole!! My first double eagle in my life!

SLDR 10,5 ALDILA RIP Phenom Nasty Long
Taylormade R11 Tour Issue 3-wood project X 7a3
Bridgestone J15 MB 4-PW X100
Bridgestone J15 52, 56, 60 wedges X100
Ping Pick em up L
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158523-steff-p-witb-20-2015/page__p__11269627__hl__+steff_p#entry11269627"]WITB Link[/url]

Playing the General in Galena, Il. 2nd Par 5 on the front, I was hitting my 4 hybrid 2nd shot. Swing. Looking for ball. Buddy beside me is rolling on the ground. I drove that thing into the ground and it actually flew back over the my head and and landed a few yards behind me. Did save bogey. Most backspin I ever put on a ball.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

Bsst shot...

Hmm. Well one of my favorites was cutting a fully blind corner on a par 5 last year. Something like a 550-600yrd par 5, in a scramble, and we had two in the fairway. I take a look at the GPS and I'm pretty sure the green is "right over there", about 90* left from the tee location. Only problem is the fairway is lined by two story homes. So I tee up literally perpendicular to the fairway and rip one right between two houses, with a reasonably hard cut. Long story short, we roll up the green and I'm on by about a foot. The group currently putting out was not at all as pleased with that as we were.

I also knocked a pelican off a post from 180, through a bar door. They made a movie about that one.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

First Idris, welcome to the forum!!

It's great to have Ya and nice thread.

Yea, odds are that it's probably seen the board before, though really, what thread/subject hasn't? :)

Mine was the summer 0f 1994, and my Pro Partner and I were in a sudden death playoff with another twosome for the spot in the National Pro Am BB Finals in Vegas.

A 478yd uphill par 4, which played as a 5 from the Blues forward(As a 5, it played from 475-490 & as a 4 from the tips, 467-487yds), and we played it as a 4.

So I had a 4i in, as I had it at 195yds, playing 205yds into an uphill elevated green, blind pin.

My Partner, who himself has qualified for 3 PGA Championships, was standing with my caddy, and there were about 150-175 peeps still following us, with probably 20-25 people up above, around the green, including my Mother and her best friend, who ironically I was aiming at as I was aiming 5-7 yds right of a back left side pin placement on a severe two tier green. If you landed behind the green, it was virtually impossible to play it down and stop it without it rolling down the green and off the front, which Freddie and many other Pros had had happen, lol. You were then left with an uphill 15-20yd shot to a blind pin.

I was playin the Mizzy 14s.

So I took it high and right of the pin, straight at my Mother and her Friend.

It started to bend back and while I could not see it land on the green, I knew when I hit it that it was a good shot. I just had no idea how good. Well, when it landed, My Mother and her friend started clapping and I took it when it stopped that it was a nice shot because they were jumping up an down, hugging one another, lol, and a few members and Friends were high-fiving.

Short of it is that I rolled up onto the second tier and the ball stopped 5-6' below the cup.

I ran the putt and off to Vegas we went. We got spanked, though it was a great time meeting peeps from all over the country & being my first time to Vegas....WoW!!!!

There have been other nice shots, though that was my fave, because it was nice not depending on the Pro, lol.

Again, welcome to the board and the best to You my Friend :)

Golfingly Yours,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Mid 1980's playing in the Royal Navy Championships at Blackmoor GC. I was doing alright as I reached the 8th, which is a par 5 dogleg right with huge Beech trees overhanging most of the right half of the fairway. Hit an awful low cut under the trees. I have about 230 yards to the green and have to move the ball 50 yards right without letting it rise more than 10 feet in the air. In desperation I try to hit a 1 iron off the back foot. The ball goes off like a banana shaped rocket and rolls the last 100 yards to 3 feet for an eagle! I finish with a 71 which gets me into the top 10 after 2 rounds.

Next day, same tee shot, same spot under the trees - out comes the 1 iron. I shank the ball straight out of bounds Finished waaay down the field.

Close second - 4 iron off the beach at Nairn for a birdie. Wrecked my 4 iron doing it as the ball stopped short of the sea sitting against a small pebble.

Third - Hole in one at my home course. 152 yard par 3 uphill with a strong R to L crosswind and the flag on the right. Hit a cut 5 iron which held up beautifully in to the wind. Landed 2 feet short and dropped in. Our fourball that day had a 1, 2 2's and a 3 on that hole!

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

What made this good shot my best was my "preamble":

I've got 190 into a stiff wind. I have to go under tree branches that are directly in front of me and left of the tree trunk. I'm not good enough to negotiate this situation. It's just me and a buddy on an empty course. So I take the time to tell him in a silly, dramatic voice that I'm going to punch my 4-iron under these branches and left of the trunk. I announce that the ball will need to fade around and hit short of the green, bounce right and run onto the green at the pin. "And then monkeys will fly out of my butt! Because this is never going to work!" We are just chuckling at the absurdity of it all.

We laugh. I hit that exact shot. We are both stunned. I'm still waiting for the monkeys...

[quote name='Daddy_Danglez' timestamp='1416806575' post='10495129']
[quote name='Idris789' timestamp='1416779244' post='10492981']
I'll bite,

[/quote] gotta love Taylormade's jacked up lofts lol
[/quote] Haha this is true haha