Best shot you have ever hit?

Idris789

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3 that were especially memorable for me - 2 were 18 years or so ago and the 3rd was last month.

1. About 18 years or so ago I carried MP 14 1-PW and I was paired with 3 older guys. I was playing in FL and the guys were harassing me the whole time about carrying a 1 iron. I heard "not even God can hit a 1 iron..." more times than I can count. Anyway, we come to a par 5 and I have about 225 to a peninsular green. I hit a really nice draw to about 8 feet - maybe the best shot I ever hit with that club lol. I never said a word I just lifted up the club so the guys could read the the bottom of the club. They did not speak to me the rest of the round.

2. I was playing at Trosper Park in OKC with my father-in-law and a friend of his and the friend's 16 year old son. This kid was so disrespectful to my father-in-law the entire round and his father said nothing. We came to 18, a par 5, and we need birdie to win. I had 230 or so for my second and the green is elevated about 20ft off the fairway. Short of the green is a ditch with a creek and if you get over the ditch you still have to hit the green because the bank is covered in thick grass - no chance. I was going to lay up but my father-in-law said "you got this - show that kid how it's done." I was playing the OG Burner Bubble Tour Spoon - super small head but I really loved that club. I remember thinking to keep my hands low and make solid contact it would be good. It was perfect - high draw that stopped about 4ft from its pitch mark. 2 putt birdie - Sweet. My father-in-law was so proud - he said "I bet Tiger couldn't hit that shot." Pretty cool - he still talks about that shot.

3. I was playing Trosper last month with my son and a few of his friends - me against them. My second on the 3rd hole - #2 handicap - I have 172 to the hole back left - I'm in the light rough on the right side. I hit a beautiful knockdown 6 iron draw into the hole. Pretty sweet.

Thanks for the memories :)

Uphill 140 yard second shot at Indian Hills Country Club in Riverside, California. I had just eagled the par-4 7th with a 30 yard pitch in. The next hole was a temporary hole, but it was to the old 9th green, which was uphill and very difficult. I drove it down the middle and had 150 uphill to a front pin and it was into a decent wind. Holed out a an 8-iron for my second par-4 eagle in a row. In a skins game. Woohoo!!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Best shot ever? Driving range at the local muni. Just finished walking the line and decided to hit a few balls to show the boys what's up, so I headed down to the end of the range. Set down my staff bag and pulled out the 6. First shot out of the gate, nice turn, smooth tempo, great contact, 146 carry, two bounces, check, nestled right next to the 150 sign. Turned to my left and noticed all eyes were on me. No chance I'd be picking up a $$ game that day, that's for sure.

-Two Down

Our first hole at Highland Woods in Bonita Springs, FL is about 330 yards, straight fairway with rough on either side, and a 60-80 yard carry over a pond in front of the green. On a Mens' Day tournament some 15 years ago, my drive sliced gracefully about 10 yards deep into the right rough, about 120 yards from the pin. Fortunately, I found the ball in some dead grass, and was able to get a pitching wedge on it to within a couple of feet from the flag, from where it just continued to roll right into the cup. An eagle, and I was never on the fairway! I've since had a number of other eagles, but this was my most memorable.

Playing a scramble at Cobbs Creek in Philadelphia, and I drove the green on the 275ish par 4 third hole (teammate made the eagle putt that was around 15 feet). The 275 isn't mind blowing, but it's all carry because of a creek in front and the green is actually pretty small.

Worst part was we didn't even get a skin for it because some other team claimed to also make eagle.

[quote name='jpking17' timestamp='1416802717' post='10494911']
#11 at Tobacco Road...we were playing in a large group of 16 and were playing scats... I started being aggressive on all Par 5's and hit tee shots to the bitter edge of the doglegs. I end up hitting the tee shot just to the edge and it dropped down in the waste area...if you have ever seen this hole the elevation to the front of the green is ridiculous...so being short is not an option...I pulled my hybrid and hit it up just happy to be on top...drive around and I am 3 feet from the hole...knees knocking putt it in for Eagle and pocket $50 (Double Eagle considering we played handicaps).
[/quote]That's quite the shot. Its a serious drop off from the fairway to the bottom!

Titleist 913 D3 9.5 Fuji Speeder TS 7.2x
Titleist 915 FD 15 S+ 80x
Titleist 915 F Graphite design DI 8x
Titleist TMB 2 iron dynamic gold x100 tour issue
Titleist 716 3-5CB 6-pwMB X100TI
Titleist Vokey Sm5 54 &58 s400 TI
Edel Torque Balance

17th hole at sunnehanna cc and was playing with a friend and his son. Blocked my tee shot and was in front of the bunker on a down slope. Had 187 left, pull 8 iron. (downhill to the green, downhill lie, flyer lie) It was late in the evening and I couldn't see where it ended up. The whole way up to the green the guy is telling me it went in and I'm just like "yeah yeah, whatever you say" Walk up to the green and see it in the hole. Who knew a 40 year olds eyes were better than a 20 year olds!

Titleist 913 D3 9.5 Fuji Speeder TS 7.2x
Titleist 915 FD 15 S+ 80x
Titleist 915 F Graphite design DI 8x
Titleist TMB 2 iron dynamic gold x100 tour issue
Titleist 716 3-5CB 6-pwMB X100TI
Titleist Vokey Sm5 54 &58 s400 TI
Edel Torque Balance

I've been playing golf for 30+ years now so it's difficult to pick one. Most current would be a par 4 eagle. Not a driveable par 4, I mean hole out from the fairway with 8 iron par 4. A couple par 5 in two approach shots to make relatively easy eagles come to mind too. I've never had a hole in one though, so there's always room to improve my story.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

Well as a previous post said, when you have been playing for so many years (33 and counting), you have many, many shots and forget so many good ones. I probably forget what would be my best but here are a couple memorable ones for obvious reasons:

1. Easy to pick number one. Ace. Mylora Golf Course in Richmond BC Canada. During a company tournament, 152 yard par 3, 8 iron lands, rolls over a ridge (so I never saw it go in) and into the hole. Was also the "Coca Cola Hole in One Hole" for which anyone getting a hole in one received a gold plated putter......Coca cola never delivered on their part of the deal. Another guy in our tourney also aced the same hole (not in my group). He also never received the putter. I still have the photo of the two of us with our clubs by the sign for the hole.

2. Lowest round on a full size course from the back tees. Shoreline GC in Mountain View, CA. 1-under par standing on 18 tee. Wind blowing left to right, driving range OB left, slopes away to OB right, bunkers on either side of fairway near landing area. Never been 1 under before. Top-hook a tee shot almost into the range on left. Have to hit under a branch over another small tree, rising ball flight with a cross wind to hold a green like concrete. Yeah, I got that shot......shank!!! Almost OB right. Just beside a tree, about 80 yards out. Pop a nice SW to about 7 feet above the hole and remember the putt from a tourney a few weeks earlier. Hole it. Final score, a 1-under 71. I now monogram my personalized foot joys with a 71 on the left shoe. (Was an 8 handicap at the time)

3. Same course (Shoreline GC). 2002 Medal Play Championship, 3rd flight as a 10 handicap. 72 holes. Final round, one shot in the lead over the guy in my group with 4 holes to play (we are the final group due to being 3rd round leaders). I know 3 of these last holes are pretty brutal, especially under the circumstances. I was nervous as all heck because I have never won a big tourney like this and it means a ton to me. His second shot on 15 goes into front bunker which is not the easiest bunker, while I am in position A in the fairway. Right then and there, I said "that's it, he's done - I am going to bury him now" and I had a ton of confidence and hit a great shot to the green and rode the confidence to the win. It is the only trophy I have on display.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

Long par 4. Hit my tee shot into a middle fairway bunker and the ball plugged on the upslope. Managed to hole the shot from 110 yards with my gap wedge.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 60TX
Ping G425 Max 16.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX 
Srixon ZX UT 2/3/4 - KBS C Taper Lite X
Srixon ZX7 5-P - KBS C Taper Lite X
Titleist SM8 Raw 50/54/58 - TI DG S400
Scotty Cameron 2020 Newport 2 

Has to be my slam sunk hole in one. Demo'ing a new set of Titleist 990s. Hated everything I hit with them until 17. We get to 17, and it is a 135 yard par three, over water, with a slight hump on the green. I take a swing, it never leaves the flag, and we just hear a "tink" from the flag. From my view, I think it hit flag on the fly and went past the green (ball is nowhere to be seen on the green); my partner says it went in. I doubted him, until the guys who had just left the green started screaming too. My first and only hole-in-one.

Best Shot Under the Circumstance: 12th hole of US Mid Am qualifier, going along nicely and get to the par 4 12th hole. Shortish par 4 and hit 3 wood off the tee, but tug it left and hit a tree branch, luckily it comes straight down. 171 left and line to the pin and the green are blocked by trees on the left, but I've got a ball above the feet lie so I figure I can hook it and try to get it in the right rough where there is no danger and get up and down from there. Tell my caddy that's what my plan is. Pull a 7 iron and just absolutely flush it, first thing I say is "Oh that's going to be really good". Ends up being a perfect high 25 yard hook that just hugged the tree line the whole way, came down softly and stops 6 inches right below the cup. End up making the cut.

Best pure shot: Playing The Irish Course at Whistling Straights with my boss and a supplier. We get to #14 which is a risk/reward par 5 on most days, but there is a 25 mph headwind gusting to 40 this day. Hit a very good tee shot and leave myself 210 in for the second, wind now quartering into us from the right. Go for the 5 wood, but caddy who knows the course talks me into the 4 wood, tells me it's going to play 240. Pin is tucked 12 paces onto the green back right. I absolutely rip the 4 wood, low bullet that starts 20+ yards right of the green and just rides the wind perfectly, drops just over the bunker to 6 feet, make the eagle putt. Would'be been 20 yards short with a 5 wood, good caddy work on that one. Boss' words "That was the coolest shot I have ever seen", the group on 15 tee which overlooks 14 green all started clapping.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

I was in 10th grade (in 1984) and at it was my first varsity golf match.

On the first hole I popped a driver way up in the air to leave me about 220 into the green, at which point I could see my opponent grinning and chalking up a W for the day.

I then blistered a 2-iron to about 3 feet and made the birdie putt. And then went on to win the match.

Have I hit 'better shots' in the 30 years since then, probably, but none more memorable.

[quote name='smiley9929' timestamp='1416959022' post='10503455']
I was in 10th grade (in 1984) and at it was my first varsity golf match.

On the first hole I popped a driver way up in the air to leave me about 220 into the green, at which point I could see my opponent grinning and chalking up a W for the day.

I then blistered a 2-iron to about 3 feet and made the birdie putt. And then went on to win the match.

Have I hit 'better shots' in the 30 years since then, probably, but none more memorable.
[/quote] We have a very similar story I was in 10th grade last year playing my first varsity match I skied a driver as well. I hit my hybrid on the next shot to 6 feet or so and made a tricky downhill putt haha. I would say I probably had it easier, hitting a hybrid instead of a 2 iron.

Playing in a pretty significant money match a few years ago, all square going into 17th hole. My opponent hits a great wedge shot to about 6' directly below the pin leaving an uphill, relatively straight putt. I pull my wedge long and left, leaving a short-sided pitch out of deep rough over a pot bunker. My opponent then marks his ball and starts circling from behind hole towards my line, employing a bit of gamesmanship. I advised him calmly, "Stop walking forward, I need to land shot right where you are about to step." My opponent then smirked, walked away from line, towards his mark and towards front of green. He turned back just in time to see me land full- swing lob on precise spot stated, and hole shot for birdie. He pushed putt and I won match one up after tying 18th.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Played Palouse Ridge this summer, beautiful morning. Played decent on the front 9, but being the first time playing the course, didn't score as well for how I was striking it. The back 9 was better as I figured out how to play the sloping fairways.

Got to the 475yd par 5 17th. Blind tee shot, took my best guess at the line and cut the dogleg. Wasn't sure, but I ended up hitting it perfect. Got to my ball and snapped this picture.

821ba14653d0dd975259741d8383e057.jpg

I had about 175 yds left for my 2nd, pin in front, a little breeze behind me. Hit a 6 iron, aiming to the left to try and bounce it down onto the green. Pushed it a bit instead, and was yelling at it to 'go' as it was going right at the pin and needed to carry the water. Ended up here...

e501459ef7104f792f9d3e41f132bcce.jpg

Made the putt for an eagle and parred the next hole to shoot even on the back nine. The fun part, was that I took the pics before hitting the shots and still pulled them off. :-)

Pro tip, if you play Palouse Ridge... use the slope of the terrain to run the ball onto the fairways and greens, the ball will run more than you think. Example, aim left on the first tee, hit up on the hill and it will bounce down into the fairway.

Hit one of my best shots on this hole, #11 on Kungsängen GC north of Stockholm, Sweden. The European tour made a few stops here in the 90's playing the Scandinavian Masters. Winners were Jesper Parnevik, Lee Westwood, Graeme McDowell and Mark Hensby,

2zpi63m.jpg

I hit a decent 3-wood to center of fairway and then struck an absolutely PERFECT 6-iron from 170 yards to a couple of inches from the hole. Impact, height, flight, roll-out, everything about the stroke was one hundred percent perfection. I have very vivid memories from the thwack of the impact echoing between the pine trunks. The hole feels like a cathedral, it was the perfect setting.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

I was playing alone at a local course and a foursome waves me up to play through on a par 3. All had hit and two were already up by the green. I rush to the tee box and ask if they had the distance to the pin. One guy tells me 160 yds. The pin is back center. I grab my 5 iron and hit a beautiful baby draw and stop it 2 feet below the pin. One guy quips, "that's your 160 club". I replied, "165, there is a slight head wind".

Callaway Epic GBB Driver
Callaway X2 Hot 3,5 Woods
Callaway X2 Hot 3, 4 Hybrids
Bridgestone J40 DPC (5-P) Project X 5.5
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 CB Wedge 52
Bridgestone J40 58 Wedge
Odyssey White Ice 9 Putter

I think my best shot might have been the first tee shot I hit while playing in college. The course didn't have a driving range so everyone from every team teeing off the 10th (did split tees) went to the tee box. They called my school first and being the fifth man...that meant me. I tee the ball up and looked back at roughly 35 guys staring me down. I felt like throwing up I was so nervous. Somehow I ripped a three wood right down the middle. My teammates were giving me the "Yessir...that's how to do it!" look. Then I chunked two in a row and made double. But the tee shot was something else!

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

I have 3. Im sure ive had shots that were better but these were in front of groups of people. Actually all 3 were in highschool matches. First was in a practice round. I was about 150yds out, right rough, behind a tree. I lined up with a 4i, punched it under the tree, and bent it about 40 yards to the right, and had it stop 4 feet from the hole. All in front of the new coach. Number 2 i was in the last group, so everyone was sitting behind the green, and i almost slam dunked a wedge, it pitched about half a ball right. And lastly, my favorite. It was the last match of the year and i was in the last group (maybe second idk) so everyone was behind the green waiting, and i had about a 30 foot putt and i had a hunch it was going to go in. It had maybe 6 feet of break left to right and as it was halfway to the hole i walked it in, lifted up the hat, and it hit the back of the hole and went in. They actually cheered. I felt like a pro for a minute. But the coach was upset i was showboating (i honestly think he was jealous lol) but the look on his face was priceless.

913 D2 w/ MATRIX WHITE TIE
XCG6 w/ AXIVCORE BLUE
G20 19* HYBRID
X FORGED 4-PW w/ PX FLIGHTED
VOKEY 52, 56, MIZUNO TP-11 60
NEWPORT 2

Best shot in the UK - Driver, 320 yard dogleg, hit it in summer to 8 foot and holed the eagle putt.

Best shot in Asia - last Friday, holing a 6 foot par putt with Sir Nick Faldo stood 20 feet away.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Not much as I am just a weekend golfer, but I will partake.

A little under 200 to the green, and used a 4 iron off the tee, put it two feet from the cup.
Same round, a 6 iron about 170 off the tee, took a bounce on the edge of the cup and rolled out and from right to left. So close to sinking it. Probably my best round yet, mostly based off a few good shots like that.

Hope to have a lot more to tell about.

Hit one of my best shots on this hole, #11 on Kungsängen GC north of Stockholm, Sweden. The European tour made a few stops here in the 90's playing the Scandinavian Masters. Winners were Jesper Parnevik, Lee Westwood, Graeme McDowell and Mark Hensby,

2zpi63m.jpg

I hit a decent 3-wood to center of fairway and then struck an absolutely PERFECT 6-iron from 170 yards to a couple of inches from the hole. Impact, height, flight, roll-out, everything about the stroke was one hundred percent perfection. I have very vivid memories from the thwack of the impact echoing between the pine trunks. The hole feels like a cathedral, it was the perfect setting.

Course looks awesome. Funny every golfer has the sound of a flush shot in their heads