2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Vokey or X-Forged

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XForged -- no doubt for me -- having tried both side by side.

The X Forged also offers up-to-date grind - the C grind and its normal grind in the 58 and 60.

Try them both, then decide.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I play both. I love the lower bounce options of the vokeys in the lob wedges but the callaway gap wedge is great for lower knock down shots. I love both. I think the callaway wedge is better with the Project X Flighted Rifle shaft for hitting the knock down low spinners...just my 2 cents! They both look and feel great though.

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, 60T (@61) DGS200

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

The 2008 Spin Milled wedges have less aggressive grooves this year than they did the last 2 years. Titleist has gone the opposite way of most major manufactures this year trying to have less of a shock for their customers with the R&A changes. My 07 Spin Milled will destroy a ball and the 08 has a tough time putting a nip on a new ProV.

I have the Vokey spin milled and it works great out of shaggier fairways and wet weather. I have also tried the x forged and it was no where close to spinning as much as the Vokey. Although I have never tried it on bentgrass fairways. One downside to the Vokey is that it chews up soft balls but it's worth for how the ball stops.

There is a wedge that is made by a smaller company called wishon golf. His fairway wood made the 08 hot list for golf digest and he makes a wedge called a cx micro. I have never tried one but the owner he is also the designer personnally told that he matched it up against a vokey sm and it spun more. they come in higher lofts than the spin milleds but you will have to go to his website (wishongolf.com)to see how to get one because you have to get custom fit for one which is about the same price as buying one off the rack when you're all set and done. P.S. he makes the grooves smaller and closer so their are 5 grooves catching the ball instead of 3 on a normal wedge like a ping or something thats why they call it a cx micro.

I have played Vokey wedges all my life until a few months ago. I actually put in an order for the same exact set up that I had previously which was right before the X-Forged wedges came out. Short game being the most important aspect to my game, something that I work diligently on every day, it is important that I have a wedge in my hand that I feel confident in. I love Vokey wedges, but always hated that unless you went tour, there was a slim picking of grinds that could fit you individually as a player not just the whole amateur population.

I started messing around with a 58 C-Grind when a rep came to my area and I really loved the grind and how much more free the club felt going through thick lies coming out of the rough. I am a fairly high spin player so the fact of which wedge spun more was not an issue, but the overall look and feel of the X-Forged suited me as a player better than the Spin Milled did. I ended up ordering a 54 and 58 and could not be happier with them. The only downside is these wedges wear fairly quickly. I do practice my short-game every day, but within 2-3 months both of the wedges have a defined brown circle in the middle of the face - not a bad thing, but they did wear noticeably quicker than the Vokeys ever did.

They are both are good wedges and both have plus and minus. It's all about taste and fitting with your swing style and your creativity with wedges shots.

Vokey has a slight smaller head design which prefered by better player and good striker, Less grind choices unless you want to go with TVD's. More bounce choices. Lots of talked about Cast carbon steel feel is not as good as forged one which IMO a personal issue. Lot's of talk about cast 8620 is leass durable and loosing the sharpeness faster, I could agree to some degree depending how crazy we need this wedge spins and of course depending on skill level. Stock Vokey's are usually a bit heavier on SW which I prefered.

X forged is 1020 forged carbon steel. A little bigger size head but not by much, in fact not to many of us can really see it if it not side by side comparison. Awesome grinds definitely, but not much choice on the bounce angle. MD groves has plenty of spin that makes my opponent's head spins too :man_in_love:. I could agree it last a little longer, but not by much. Better feel due to 1020 forged CB, aaaah yea to some degree if you can hit them side by side to really tell...but not by much.

IMO, Wedge are about feel in your hand ( including balance ), suit your eyes behind the ball which will give us confident to make the shots and most important of all are the wedge has a match perfect bounce angle and grind for your style of play and creativity.

Lots of us neglected short game fitting, lesson and practise which IMO makes it harder for us to really be critical in chosing the right bounce and grind. Definite most of us need help on this part of the game more that our long game if we are looking for a better and more consistent scoring.

Again, these are only my opinions! :black eye:

Joe

ps: comparison are within fairness of Chrome vs chrome, raw vs raw

• 2 months later...
i would go with the vokey, spins amazing, but the only thing, i can wear out pretty quickly

apparently you've never hit an x-forged with md grooves? If the only advantage is spin, then the callaway will win. With my experience, x-forgeds spin the ball noticeably more than vokey spin milled. (However they also tear balls up worse) With better grind options (c-grind ftw), and much better feel (imo), it's an obvious choice for me at least.

They are both are good wedges and both have plus and minus. It's all about taste and fitting with your swing style and your creativity with wedges shots.

Vokey has a slight smaller head design which prefered by better player and good striker, Less grind choices unless you want to go with TVD's. More bounce choices. Lots of talked about Cast carbon steel feel is not as good as forged one which IMO a personal issue. Lot's of talk about cast 8620 is leass durable and loosing the sharpeness faster, I could agree to some degree depending how crazy we need this wedge spins and of course depending on skill level. Stock Vokey's are usually a bit heavier on SW which I prefered.

X forged is 1020 forged carbon steel. A little bigger size head but not by much, in fact not to many of us can really see it if it not side by side comparison. Awesome grinds definitely, but not much choice on the bounce angle. MD groves has plenty of spin that makes my opponent's head spins too :black eye:. I could agree it last a little longer, but not by much. Better feel due to 1020 forged CB, aaaah yea to some degree if you can hit them side by side to really tell...but not by much.

IMO, Wedge are about feel in your hand ( including balance ), suit your eyes behind the ball which will give us confident to make the shots and most important of all are the wedge has a match perfect bounce angle and grind for your style of play and creativity.

Lots of us neglected short game fitting, lesson and practise which IMO makes it harder for us to really be critical in chosing the right bounce and grind. Definite most of us need help on this part of the game more that our long game if we are looking for a better and more consistent scoring.

Again, these are only my opinions! :rolleyes:

Joe

Another great post Joe, full of information regarding both wedges :D . I myself recently switched to X-Forged retail wedges from using Vokey's before. I got my go-to clubmaker, Percy Leung (Joe Kwok of Canada ;) ) to fix up the wedges according to my specs. I got "MP" grinds on them, which I'm sure I saw once here at GolfWrx . Overall, I'm more than satisfied with my switch, and I'll be looking forward to gaming these for quite a while.

Best solution would be to buy some retail Vokey's or X-Forged wedges and decide what kind of wedge player you are and then have Joe make you a nice grind on each wedge, that you prefer to use for your game :black eye:

An also great solution would be to order some custom made wedges with a custom made grind and bounce, that you prefer and like - Scratch Tour Department wedges are made that way :rolleyes: But this will cost you some extra of these $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :D

• 2 weeks later...
anyone have any proto vokesss......on here??? or Black Ox tour those are sweet

I have a couple... Different subject, lets not get onto it, PM if you want to discuss...

X forged are a much better wedge... last longer, better feel, better spin over the spin mill due to the MD grooves, better material used... kinda all adds up... Having played both i know what i would go back to if i had to...

Grinds really do help and the C is one of the best out there...

Unless you pay as Joe said for a TVD or if you can get your hands on a prototype vokey then the callaway x forged retail are actually better than most tour issue offererings and probably the best off the rack wedge you can buy (again putting japanese offerings asside)

• 1 month later...

X forged is 1020 forged carbon steel. A little bigger size head but not by much, in fact not to many of us can really see it if it not side by side comparison. Awesome grinds definitely, but not much choice on the bounce angle. MD groves has plenty of spin that makes my opponent's head spins too :lol:. I could agree it last a little longer, but not by much. Better feel due to 1020 forged CB, aaaah yea to some degree if you can hit them side by side to really tell...but not by much.

Again, these are only my opinions! ;)

Joe

I think I'm gonna go with the X-forged, but they seem a little short. How long should they be if I get a 52 and a 58? And should I put the rifle flighted sand wedge shafts in a 6.5 flex, or a DG s400 or X100? Right now I hit my vokey's 52- 130 56-115 60-100 with PX 6.5s...