Taylormade LDP vs Titleist Prov

Matt727

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been spending a lot of time testing both the Red and the Black, as a side note I have played the V1x for the past couple of years.

I have found the Black to be very similar to the V1x with a couple exceptions:

1. The Black feels and sounds softer off of the driver and putter

2. The Black seems to fly a bit higher off the driver and irons

3. The Black is a bit longer off the tee and handles the wind much better

In my opinion Titleist doesn't have a product like the Red and TaylorMade doesn't have a product like the V1. The Red is very soft off the driver and putter, yet very long off the tee. Also, the Red has very low spin off short irons and wedges, so much so that on hard greens I find the Red difficult to stop.

So, if you are an extremely high spin player you may enjoy the Red, the pro at my club loves them. For me the Black seems to be a great compromise between the Red ant he V1x, it spins a little less around the greens (which is good for me), a bit softer feel and longer off the tee.... a great combo in my world.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

also, do a seach because there is a thread that discusses this in detail

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I was under the impression that when comparing the 2008 LDP TP RED and TP BLACK that the Red was more like the ProV1x while the Black was closer to the ProV1...This was the conclusion I came to after reading multiple threads on the subject here. Note I do have one dozen of the LDP TP Reds and a dozen of the LDP TP Blacks and will be doing my comparison very soon. I have been a ProV1x user for many years.

I was under the impression that when comparing the 2008 LDP TP RED and TP BLACK that the Red was more like the ProV1x while the Black was closer to the ProV1...This was the conclusion I came to after reading multiple threads on the subject here. Note I do have one dozen of the LDP TP Reds and a dozen of the LDP TP Blacks and will be doing my comparison very soon. I have been a ProV1x user for many years.

I agree, that is what I believed as well, not to mention that is what the marketing would lead you to believe. However, in real world testing for me I have found the Black is closer to the V1x, main reason is that even the Titleist markets the V1x as the low spin ball, it actually spins a lot around the greens. This being said, if you are looking for a "true" low spin ball the Red is for you, if you are looking for a V1x replacement with better driver performance then the Black is for you.

Of course this is all in my humble opinion.... I'm sure if 100 of us tested these balls we would come up with 100 different results.

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

does anyone have experience comparing the TP Black and Red with the Nike Platinum and Black?

I have not tried the NOP at all, I spin my short irons pretty well, so more spin would only hurt my game (I'm not good enough to control the spin I have now). However, I have tested the NOB head to head with the Black and Red.

To me the NOB is very similar to the TM Black. I would give a slight driver distance advantage to the TM, and I would say the Nike has the advantage of a bit more green side spin than the TM. I think the TM feels softer off driver through putter, to me the Nike just felt hard. Durability goes to Nike hands down, its not contest here.

As far as the Red vs. the NOB I believe they are two different animals... Red is WAY softer, a bit longer, spins much less off short irons (by design) and is almost as durable.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I had a chance to play the LDP Red on Friday for a full round. I found the ball to be very long off the driver and my yardages with my irons were pretty much spot on to those I get from a Prov1x. In my opinion the Red is very comparable to the V1x in all aspects with the exception of short game spin. It runs out a bit more. I also have a dozen LDP Blacks and will be trying those out Thursday and report on what I think about them. For $5 or so less a dozen I will stick with the TM LDP Red or Black over the V1x.

Regardless of the differences of how each plays, the Marketing Intent of each ball manufacturer is as follows:

The key is Softer

Titleist Pro V1

Callaway i

TaylorMade Red LDP

Bridgestone B330S

Nike Platinum

Srixon Z-URS

Look for "X" or "Black"

Titleist Pro V1x

Callaway ix

TaylorMade Black LDP

Bridgestone B330

Nike Black

Srixon Z-URC or Z-UR

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

I finally got around to trying the TM balls today. Well, actually I didn't get past the Black. This may very well be my new ball of choice. It is definitely longer and spins more around the green than the V1x for me. I had been playing the regular V1 for about a year because I couldn't get the V1x to check-up on chips and short pitches (<50 yards). The one thing that might be the true selling point for me is the cover seems to be more durable on the Black than the V1 and V1x. I hit a couple of 3/4-full wedge shots today that would normally scuff the ball pretty good with the Titleist balls...not a mark to speak of on the TM. I'll probably play again tomorrow and try the Red only to make sure I'm not missing out on something, but I'm really liking the Black so far.

Yep, that settles it, I am a TP Black player (for now anyway :clapping: ). I played today with the TP Red and ProV1. The Black definitely spins more and is longer off the driver for me than the other two. I hit a drive yesterday with the Black that easily carried ~285yds over a water hazard. Tried it with the ProV1 and Red today and barely made it to the other side with very solid hits on both. Both the Red and ProV1 rolled out probably about 10-15ft more on 40-50yd pitch shots than the Black, which generally took one 3-4ft hop and stopped. Around the greens, the Black seemed to check-up a little better as well. I felt like I could be more aggresive with the Black rather than trying to guess at how far it was going to roll out.

I hit the V1x longer than the V1, but I had been playing the V1 because it seemed to spin more for me. The Black seems to be the best of both worlds and the cover is more durable to boot. I get V1x distance and even more spin than I did with the V1. I suggest getting a sleeve of both the Red and Black to see which one suits you better.

Regardless of the differences of how each plays, the Marketing Intent of each ball manufacturer is as follows:

The key is Softer

Titleist Pro V1

Callaway i

TaylorMade Red LDP

Bridgestone B330S

Nike Platinum

Srixon Z-URS

Look for "X" or "Black"

Titleist Pro V1x

Callaway ix

TaylorMade Black LDP

Bridgestone B330

Nike Black

Srixon Z-URC or Z-UR

This is not exactly true as today's crop of balls turns the "standard" a bit on its side and I believe each OEM is attempting to "fit" players into their own respective balls regardless of how they compare to the competitors offerings....selling more of their own balls and defining their own niche is the current marketing intent of all the major players in the ball arena...particularly with all the litigation against Acushnet/Titleist that has occurred recently.

You cannot so easily equate the various OEMs' ball offerings with the ProV1 and ProV1x anymore, 3 and 4 piece constructions respectively.

For example...

...the TM Red is a four-piece ball designed for the higher spin player and produces lower trajectory and lower overall spin but is softer feeling than the Black. The Black is a 3 piece ball that produces a higher trajectory with more spin but a firmer feel.

The Nike One Black is a 3-piece ball that produces a firmer feel with less spin than its Platinum counterpart but the Platinum, a 4-piece construction, can potentially be a longer ball with swing speeds in excess of 115mph.

The Srixon Z-URC is a firmer feeling yet higher spinning ball when compared to the Z-URS.

Yes, I know Srixon.com's "Ball Selector" equates the various OEMs' offerings just as they're listed above but the old mantra of softer equals more spin doesn't necessarily hold true any more with the advent of softer cores, harder mantels and various other "layers" that produce different "feel" versus spin and trajectory.

The best way to judge which ball is best for you is obviously to test them under real conditions with your swing.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

I love the way the LDP 08 Black plays, spins more than the V1X, may be longer on mishits too, BUT, when I get chunks coming off the cover with a full 7 or 8 iron, I am done with that ball. At least the ProV1X cover just shaves, i can scratch off the shave and keep playing it. The black gives me flaps and you know you can not play a ball with flaps, it DRASTICALLY alters ball flight, moreso than mud (golf digest did a study a few years back to prove it).

So the red ldp would be equal to the tour hx i in terms of spin ?

With Cally the ix is the lower spin version and the i is the higher spin version. With TM the Red is the lower spin ball and the Black is the higher spin ball.

As already mentioned, one thing that sets TM a bit different in the market is that the Red low spin ball is also the the softer ball, as where with Titleist and Cally there low spin ball is generally the firmer of the two.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

So the red ldp would be equal to the tour hx i in terms of spin ?

With Cally the ix is the lower spin version and the i is the higher spin version. With TM the Red is the lower spin ball and the Black is the higher spin ball.

As already mentioned, one thing that sets TM a bit different in the market is that the Red low spin ball is also the the softer ball, as where with Titleist and Cally there low spin ball is generally the firmer of the two.

Thanks sorry i was off topic a bit but seems to be the ball i want i keep hearing nothing but good things about the tm ball .

stu

Read below link... even though it's a review for the TM TP Black & TM TP Red '07 models, it should be informative enough for your comparison between the TM's & the Titleist premium balls.

http://thesandtrap.com/equipment/balls/tay...ack_ball_review

Now I'm confused as hell. This article says the TP Red+ProV and the TP Black+ProVx.

Is the LDP the same? Red=V1 and Black=V1x?

The 2008 TM red LDP = Prov1x

The 2008 TM black LDP = Prov1

TM has changed their red/black definition going from the 2007 Red/Black to the 2008 Red/Black LDP balls, so be careful. Red LDP is the lower spin ball & lower flight while Black LDP is for those who want more spin in their ball and higher flight.

The 2007 TM red ball is not the same as the 2008 red LDP balls, don't confuse the 2....:D

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

The 2008 TM red LDP = Prov1x

The 2008 TM black LDP = Prov1

TM has changed their red/black definition going from the 2007 Red/Black to the 2008 Red/Black LDP balls, so be careful. Red LDP is the lower spin ball & lower flight while Black LDP is for those who want more spin in their ball and higher flight.

The 2007 TM red ball is not the same as the 2008 red LDP balls, don't confuse the 2.... :D

OK. I believe you but what a dumb thing to do from a marketing perspective IMO. Why switch it after the fact?

I've played a ProVx for a few years and I played a 2007 TP Red today. Liked how straight it was off the driver but it was a bit shorter and now I think I know why...it had more backspin.

I'll have to try the '08 LDP Red.