I hate people at my school

Ok its rant time...

How many people get teased cus the play golf?

Like half the people at my school make fun of me for it, and most of them dont even play a sport.

A common question is " You play golf? Do you even need to work out for that? I mean you only walk how difficult can it be?"

Coming from the girl with the cheese burger hanging off her lip....yeah right.

Yeahh....in 100 degree heat and humidity like it is in houston, I doubt alot of these people would make it through all 18

When will people really realize that it takes alot to be a good golfer. Playing consistently well in rough conditions is far from easy in both physical and mental aspects. If you start letting your mind slip you lose all physical capabilities. You become out of control. I just wish people would start to realize that its all not what they make it out to be...the easiest sport out there. I guarantee it is 100 times harder to get a golf scholarship to a D1 school than it is to get a scholarship to a D1 school for baseball basketball football etc.

Sorry its just really been bugging me lately because I get it alot.

/rant.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont worry about it. Golf in my day in H.S (late 80's) was alot less cool then it is now. I was not a one-sport guy and either was half the team...so I guess that helps some.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Just ignore them? I can't blame lots of people whose only experience or image of golf may be old people riding around in carts hacking at the ball and they probably are not familiar with the younger tiger-inspired extremely athletic generation of golfers who pound the ball out as well as the intense mental challenge. I don't really get any flack about playing golf but I do have to argue that golf does require athleticism and fitness at times.

I wouldn't say it's 100 times harder than getting a basketball/baseball/football scholly. I played bball in college and it was pretty darn hard. Every sport is hard in its own ways. Basketball is more demanding physically while golf if more demanding mentally. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Just don't pay attention to the haters. I found that most people who make fun of golf have either never tried it, or tried it and were TERRIBLE at it.

Unfortunately, I was one if the idiots doing the teasing. My best friends and I had alot in common except they played golf. I questioned their manhood and made fun of that stupid looking game they loved so much. This was back in the mid '80s. One of these friends got married in '99 and I was a groomsman. He scheduled a golf outing before his wedding and I reluctantly went. Ever since, any free time I have I play golf. I have fell in love with this game and I am a complete club ho. Just wish I would have took up the game way back when. My loss.

Ping G30 10.5* Driver
Callaway Big Bertha 815 14* Fairway
Cobra Z-Fly 3-4 & 4-5 Hybrids
Mizuno MP30 5-PW
Ping Glide GW SW LW
SC Studio Design 1.5 Black Pearl

Firstly, as your junior, I think the first thing you have to learn is not to give a f*ck what other people think! Surely, you play golf because you enjoy it? That is reason enough.

I wouldn't try and sell the 'its an athletic sport' idea if I were you. Some guy training as a boxer or athlete will quite rightly ridicule the amount of physical effort required by the average golfer. Instead focus on convincing the ignorant on the technical difficulty of the sport.

I caught quite a but of grief during high school as well. I went to a very small school and if you played one sport you usually played them all. So, most of the guys I played baseball with were also on the basketball team. They started the golf team when I was a freshman and not very many people understood why I would want to play golf instead of baseball. Even people in the town would say stupid things about it. My junior high team won state my 7th and 8th grade years so they expected us to carry that over to my freshman year. I tried playing both for a while. I caught regular flack from playing golf too from a lot of the kids and even some of the teachers. People will always ridicule what they don't understand. I didn't seem to gain much recognition for winning tournaments either.

I too get some jokes, but mainly from my friends, because I play golf, but I don't let it bother me. I play for my varsity golf team while most of my friends aren't even playing on a Varsity team, just warming the bench for a JV team. Just as in any other sport, there has to be somewhat of a physical aspect to be great at it. For example, if you took an out of shape, but solid ball striker and a very fit, but equally solid ball striker, I would have to put my money on the fit one to do better over the stretch of a tournament. Plus remember that the number 1 and most dominating "athlete" in sports is Tiger Woods (according to the Associated Press).

WITB:

Taylormade 2016 M1 430 9.5 - Tour AD GP 7S
Taylormade 2016 M2 15 - Diamana S+ 70 S
Titleist H2 19 - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8S
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21 - PX 6.0
Miuzno MP 64 - KBS Tour C-Taper 120 S
Fourteen RM 12 54/60 - KBS Tour Custom Black Mist
Bettinardi BB5

The only ones that make fun of people for playing golf are the ones that are either too scared to try it themselves for fear that they will suck or the ones that have only ever seen their grandpa's clubs and old plaid pants and golf photos. Most people who haven't played golf before think that it's a joke and you just have to ignore that. Even my neighbour thought that it would be easy until she actually went out for her first round and could only do 9 holes because she was tired. Just stick to what you know and to heck with any negative people. Life is too short to pay attention to people who serve no other purpose than to try to build themselves up by putting others down.

I was lucky, I was pretty good size in high school and played hockey as well, so there were not to many people making fun of me for my playing golf.

Most of my hockey buddies were turned into golfers in the off season as we used to go the local public track and have some fun. So there were not to many people left to poke fun, at least in my circle anyhow.

I am really surprised that people make fun of people that play golf...it is definitely cooler today than it was is my high school times that is for sure...Not to mention more juniors play than I can remember.

I would just try and shrug it off....people make fun of other people because they are insecure and it is a way for them to try and show off in front of people to try and be cool. I wouldn't sweat it. Just play your golf, and have some fun. Your will know who your good friends are and that is what is important.

Golf is far from uncool any longer that is for sure....so I really don't know where they are coming from.

Anyhow....good luck to you and keep after it. The naysayers will always be there in life. The strong people work past it. It sounds like you love it and no matter what people say you will keep after it. That is the type of determination that will make you successful some day.

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

Im in the same boat as DGRJR. I picked up golf after getting hurt in football. I never get messed with at school because of golf because im 6'5''. If u get joked about at school just dont even listen to them

Cobra Speedzone 9* w/ Tensei Pro White 70x
Mizuno ST200 15* w/Accra TZ5 100x Prototype
Taylormade P790 2i w/Recoil 120x Prototype
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4i-5i w/DG X7
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 6i-PW w/DG X7
Mizuno S18 50*/57* w/DG X100
Callaway MD5 64* w/DG S400
Kevin Burns Custom 9304

tell 'em to watch it b/c if they dont you either A: tee up a driver and nail them or B: shove your driver up their arses :clapping:

dont worry, i get sh*t all the time that golf isn't a sport or anything b/c all we do is drive carts(right?NO)...but i say w/e you come walk 18 holes with me or something about tiger and they just shut up :)

Hook up with the hottest chick in school and no one will care.

Easier said than done. :clapping:

I get the same thing at my school though, as just about all of you have said. I usually just laugh along with whoever I'm talking to. It usually peaks around the time when my golf tan is in full swing and I have ridiculous tan lines. But don't get too worked up about it, just try and laugh it off and take it out on the course :)

I find it hilarious when someone gave me s*** for golf, saying its easy and anyone could do it and its not a sport. Although I also played hockey, lacrosse, basketball, volleyball and downhill skiing so noone was making fun of me for athleticism.

I told anyone who said anything about golf that i'll bet them 100$ I can come closer to playing them in any sport 1 on 1 or any challenge then they can come to breaking 100.

Golf is the only SPORT where you cannot have beginners luck, maybe for one or two shots, but ultimately that doesnt help the round for a beginner, just gets them more hooked on the game.

Easier said than done. :clapping:

I get the same thing at my school though, as just about all of you have said. I usually just laugh along with whoever I'm talking to. It usually peaks around the time when my golf tan is in full swing and I have ridiculous tan lines. But don't get too worked up about it, just try and laugh it off and take it out on the course :)

Time to start working the room!

I will say that I went back for my 10 year reunion and it was pretty disappointing.

haha well lets see I started dating a pretty good looking girl that PLAYS GOLF!!! for another school and my friends kinda layed off for a bit haha. So that did help a little. Not gonna lie. I just told em that golf obviously did her body good and im not complainin and it sucks cus girls arent exactly any of their cups of tea so they didnt have anything to say hahaha

When I was your age (I can't believe I'm old enough to say that now :clapping: ) I played HS Football. I loved golf back then and I never had any beef with the golf team.

When I look back at my life I wish I never played football. Yeah the camaraderie and all the success I had is memorable, but those memories won't take the pain from my back (herniated disc) and elbow (dislocated). My biggest regret was NOT playing HS golf. Well I didn't have the money to (and I still don't hahaha) but I would have taken 4 jobs to afford it.

Derailed (the OP): Don't worry about what other people say. It doesn't matter in the long run. High School is its own little country/world. Once you leave all that BS, popularity, who's dating who crap behind it's clear sailing ahead. Just keep looking forward, be confident in what you do and yourself, and use all that negativity as motivation to get better. It's sometimes fun to hear that so and so Mr and Mrs Popular from HS now have 5 kids and both work at Wendys.

Keep at it. You are very lucky and privileged to play HS Golf! Have fun man!