Where do you rank Ping s55's?

UnderPar18

Where do you rank the s55's:

1. Compared to previous s series? 56's,s57's, and s59's

2. Compared to the current competition in 2014

What do you like most about the s55's?

What do you dislike most about the s55's

I have read some reviews, but I want to hear from the folks playing/played the s55's!

I just ordered 5-PW prior to the new year and would like to hear more about them as I wait patiently. I will be shafting them up with tour concepts.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='blakefoote191' timestamp='1420329108' post='10681237']
I'm hitting i20s and also am curious about this...
[/quote]

Let me know if there is another question you would like me to add to the original post. Hopefully we can get your questions answered as well.

It seems pros switched quickly from the s56's and the s55's have been out for a while now so there should be plenty of comments.

:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)

tested them out for about 2 weeks and the turf interaction is a step behind the 714mb's and the mp4's. The 714's are just pure butter compared to those other two sets with about equal forgiveness between the three. Could just be me though, you should really get out and try a few different sets out on a "REAL" range if possible.

TM M1 460 9.5* Matrix BT 6M3 X
TM M1 15* Aldila Rogue Black X
Cobra King Pro MB 2-Pw C-taper 130 X
Callaway MD3 52* S Grind
Callaway MD3 58* S Grind
Odyssey MXM Versa #1

[quote name='Tee2Green85' timestamp='1420329922' post='10681301']
tested them out for about 2 weeks and the turf interaction is a step behind the 714mb's and the mp4's. The 714's are just pure butter compared to those other two sets with about equal forgiveness between the three. Could just be me though, you should really get out and try a few different sets out on a "REAL" range if possible.
[/quote]

I am in CT it's pretty cold and no where to hit a bunch of left handed irons outside. I hit them before indoors on a monitor, but that doesn't do much. Thanks for your opinion and experience on the turf interaction.

Tons of threads out there on these already with tons of info. They're s no nonsense set of irons and if you're a good ballstriker these are about as good as it gets.

Definitely better than S56 without a doubt. Softer feel with better feel... They're more "forged" feeling than any previous S iron. More forgiving in the longer irons than any S prior as well.

Truly a great set of irons if they fit your ability.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1420330730' post='10681351']
Tons of threads out there on these already with tons of info. They're s no nonsense set of irons and if you're a good ballstriker these are about as good as it gets.

Definitely better than S56 without a doubt. Softer feel with better feel... They're more "forged" feeling than any previous S iron. More forgiving in the longer irons than any S prior as well.

[/quote]

I have read the main s55 threads and reviews and I tailored my questions to be where I thought there wasn't as much discussion and left my curious... Don't want folks thinking I'm lazy lol.

Thanks for your insight!

i loved them. I only got rid of mine because they had the stock CFS shafts. The CFS shaft didn't agree with me and it was cheaper to trade them and buy something new than to buy new shafts.

I thought turf interaction was great.... feel and sound were good as well. No complaints from me.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

[quote name='bogeypro' timestamp='1420331222' post='10681399']
i loved them. I only got rid of mine because they had the stock CFS shafts. The CFS shaft didn't agree with me and it was cheaper to trade them and buy something new than to buy new shafts.

I thought turf interaction was great.... feel and sound were good as well. No complaints from me.
[/quote]

I agree! Since wanting to play tour concepts I would have to pay for the re shafting regardless what brand I went with. If I want going with something more generic for shaft choice this would have played a part in my decision.

[quote name='UnderPar18' timestamp='1420333018' post='10681543']

[/quote]

I agree! Since wanting to play tour concepts I would have to pay for the re shafting regardless what brand I went with. If I want going with something more generic for shaft choice this would have played a part in my decision.
[/quote]

Im in a similar position. Im debating on buying a set of s55's in 5-PW. If I buy new them I'm going to have to pay a decent amount to have someone remove the shafts from both sets and put my recoil protos in the s55's. That adds a good amount to the cost of the irons. I should really learn how to reshaft irons myself.

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7

Simply stated, the 55's are the most refined S series iron to date.

While individual improvements in the 55's are incremental, the sum of the improvements far out perform most annual re-badging introductions.

I have owned and played every S series model, 2 sets of I20's all of Titleist's forged offerings including 710 MB's, CB's and AP2's (714).

the 55's tick all the boxes for me including, turf interaction, feel and consistency.

Dislikes, this is the first time I haven't been looking for new irons for the upcoming season. So it forced me to explore some "Classic" gear to play with in my workshop.

The reality is they are very solid clubs. Forgiving for a players iron. Workable.

Are they for everyone? No, especially if the shaft or lie is not suited. I had mine for 12 months, this is the first S series that does not have wanting to return to set of muscle backs.

Happy New Year!

Ping G30 9.0 Tour 80X
Ping G25 4W
Ping G30 21 7W Tour 65X
Ping S55 4-PW S400
Ping Eye2 Gorge S, L
Byron Morgan DH89

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1420330730' post='10681351']

[/quote]

+1 on jw's comments...they are fantastic irons...very forgiving for a sweet as they look, as many have said most "players" prefer their clubs to be forged, me forged is great but I prefer performance, I realize I play forged but other "staff" factors are involved there...

Under construction....

[quote name='Tee2Green85' timestamp='1420329922' post='10681301']
[/quote]
I owned 714 MB's, great clubs! But they are nowhere near as forgiving as the S55's I'm currently playing, that's just absolute hogwash. And I have nothing against Titlesit, in fact the rest of my bag other than my irons is titleist. The S55's are just that good!

[/quote]

Agree 100%. Ive had CFS X in mine and just ordered some tour issue S409 I'm gonna put in hardstepped. CFS is just too light and I have real problems fighting the ball into the wind

I switched from the S56s, which I loved, to the 55s with Recoil Protos. The 55s are great irons for any player who prefers the general look/profile of a compact blade-looking design with surprising forgiveness. I think they go through the turf beautifully and are easy to knock-down or work left or right.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Man I can't type of my phone very well... sorry about that.

No I didn't think you were lazy I know your username as a good poster but I just wanted you to know there were a ton of threads and info on them where you could read for several hours tonight if you wanted to...

I used the 5-PW setup too and used Anser #4 iron or 712U #4 but even a decent striker of the ball can play the 5-PW. There is really nothing I didn't like about them but several things I did like... I loved their forgiveness for how awesome they look from address. Love the topline and the way it transitions into the hosel that a lot of players irons get wrong. The sole design is perfect for the style of club it is-- you would't want that kind of sole design on a larger iron obviously. For a "blade-style" iron or a players cavity they are VERY forgiving on the bottom and toe-side.

I will say, if you want a set of irons to just fly forever (like you get with PING i20 or PING Anser) then the S55 isn't it. Very consistent distances but no real jumpers or anything.

Also-- if you like classic PING feel these are softer... actually I think they feel just as good as some forgings. Everyone is a little different though...

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I know I'm in the minority here, but I was very disappointed in the s55s. I played the s57 and s56, absolutely loved the s56, and couldn't wait for the s55 because of the improvement everyone said Ping made in them. For me, I didn't find them nearly as forgiving as the s56, and I just wasn't a fan of the feel. I ended up selling them and switching to the AP2 and haven't looked back. I do wish I'd have gotten along with the s55 because it's an absolute beautiful iron.

TM Mini 300 11.5 Ventus TR Blue 6

Rogue ST LS 3HL Ventus Blue 7

Epic Super Hybrid 20* Ventus HB 8

Srixon ZX MKII Utility 23* Recoil Dart 90

Srixon ZX5 5-6 Steelfiber i95

Srixon ZX7 7-AW Steelfiber i95

Edel SMS 56* V Grind Steelfiber i95

Vokey SM8 60* M grind Steelfiber i95
LAB Mezz 

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1420339628' post='10682113']
Man I can't type of my phone very well... sorry about that.

No I didn't think you were lazy I know your username as a good poster but I just wanted you to know there were a ton of threads and info on them where you could read for several hours tonight if you wanted to...

I used the 5-PW setup too and used Anser #4 iron or 712U #4 but even a decent striker of the ball can play the 5-PW. There is really nothing I didn't like about them but several things I did like... I loved their forgiveness for how awesome they look from address. Love the topline and the way it transitions into the hosel that a lot of players irons get wrong. The sole design is perfect for the style of club it is-- you would't want that kind of sole design on a larger iron obviously. For a "blade-style" iron or a players cavity they are VERY forgiving on the bottom and toe-side.

I will say, if you want a set of irons to just fly forever (like you get with PING i20 or PING Anser) then the S55 isn't it. Very consistent distances but no real jumpers or anything.

Also-- if you like classic PING feel these are softer... actually I think they feel just as good as some forgings. Everyone is a little different though...
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I Picked up a Apex UT in 24 degrees that I really like so I figured 5-PW would be perfect and then reap the Apex UT forgiveness in 4 iron.

Really good insight on the s55's so I appreciate you taking the time to post. I plan on pairing the s55's with microperf grips from BestGrips. That way I keep them for at least 2 years lol! Or until the next s series comes out.

I agree with JW and Boyd, the S55 are just that good. I loooove Titleist but these replaced AP2 easily. They are much more forgiving than 714 MBs which I loved! I too play 5-PW. Turf interaction is fabulous and on par with 714 MB. Feel is a perfect firm. Look is amazing. The white line on bottom just frames perfect. I went with Xstiff CFS (usually play S300 or KBS Stiff).

I'm sorta bored because even though I love switching irons and hit everything released, I'm not in the market for a S55 replacement.

I may one day have custom black painted just out of boredom since they are so good.

Forgiveness is the trait that stands out vs others in its class.

If I had to switch tomorrow I wld go back to 714 MB or one of the new Srixon or Nike MB

Cobra F9 44.75” Daytona Speeder S.  
Cobra F9 3w Atmos S 
Mizuno 5W JPX 900 Blue S
Titleist T100S w DG 105 4-PW

Miura K2.0 54, 60. SM9 black 50

SC Kombi S 

I know the i20s seem to have a lot of bounce. Playing in the south on bermuda, the i20s can result in thin shots due to the bounce for me. How do the S55s compare bounce-wise?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I thought forgiveness was good with the S56... The forgiveness of the S55s is unbelievable.

Like you I did bought the 5-PW then I added a 4 iron, then a 3 iron. Never hit these irons so well than with the S55.

I switched to G25 because I don't play as much as I used to. But for an everyday player, I would go with the S series.

Phenomenal!

I do love the CFS over the KBS I had previously in my S56. Way more lighter (which I prefer)

Ping G400 - 10,5° - Tour 65 Stiff

Cobra BioCell - 15° - Diamana D+ 75 Stiff

Ping G400 - 19° - Tour 85 Stiff

Ping G25 - 4-PW - CFS Stiff

Ping Glide OG (50° - 54° - 58°)

Ping Anser Milled

[quote name='Capitaine Haddock' timestamp='1420353519' post='10682919']
I thought forgiveness was good with the S56... The forgiveness of the S55s is unbelievable.

Like you I did bought the 5-PW then I added a 4 iron, then a 3 iron. Never hit these irons so well than with the S55.

I switched to G25 because I don't play as much as I used to. But for an everyday player, I would go with the S series.

Phenomenal!

I do love the CFS over the KBS I had previously in my S56. Way more lighter (which I prefer)
[/quote][quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1420344501' post='10682483']
I know the i20s seem to have a lot of bounce. Playing in the south on bermuda, the i20s can result in thin shots due to the bounce for me. How do the S55s compare bounce-wise?
[/quote]

I like everything about the s-55 irons except the trailing edge bounce is a bit too much for my liking. Coming from s-59 which were beautifully ground with trailing edge grind by pingwrx. Thought I could adjust to stock s-55 heads but I'm finding them to be a tad clunky by comparison. Most likely, if i bought a tour striker practice club and got my hands more ahead at impact, the fairly high degree of bounce would no longer bother me.

I think the s58's should be included in this conversation. Many wins on tour by a number of different players. Think lots of pros passed on the s57's. The Ping website says these irons are still available thru Ping retailers. Odd for irons that came out in 07 or earlier.Other than the grooves, I really dont think the s55's are that much different. I do think the s55's are more pretty.

j33 460 9.5 ACCRA DyMatch 2.0 MT M4
Exotics cb1 13 Matrix Ozik
Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
j38cb's - 3-pw s300sl pro soft & j36pc GAT 95
j40 52,56 & Odyssey Metal-X #7H
average score = 75

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1420382438' post='10683509']
I think the s58's should be included in this conversation. Many wins on tour by a number of different players. Think lots of pros passed on the s57's. The Ping website says these irons are still available thru Ping retailers. Odd for irons that came out in 07 or earlier.Other than the grooves, I really dont think the s55's are that much different. I do think the s55's are more pretty.
[/quote]

I just missed them but yes they should be included. Thanks for your reply!

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1420382723' post='10683517']
Without a doubt the best of the s series.

Best iron of 2014 and possibly 2015.

The standard bearer in the mass produced iron category.
[/quote]

That's what my buddy said who has s55's for a bit. He said they are the set he regrets getting rid of most. Ping took an extra year and made the s55's to their expectations vs. Just releasing an upgrade to the s56's just because they were due out.

It will be interesting to see two things:
1. Does an iron in 2015 surpass the s55's? Ap2's will have a makeover in late 2015 and maybe some other brands?
2. When will Ping come out with the next s series iron? It took them what 3-4 years to change from the s56's.

Love my 55's. Have been lucky enough to play the 58's, 56's, and now the 55's, and the 55's are without a doubt my favorite. The S-56's were an awesome set too.
I liked the change to the lead edge being a little more blunted/less prone to dig with the 55's. I think that opened this set up for even more people to play over the 56's whch liked to be "picked" just a tad more. Feeling is softer and sound is much more muted at impact. It took a couple rounds to adjust to the new sound for me.
The cavity is deeper in the 55's as well, adding even more forgiveness over the 56's while maintaining the same head shape/size for the most part. They really knocked it out of the park with the 55's. For me, they too are the set for all others to take on ever since I got them. Only change I'll make for 2015 is moving out of C-tapers in them and maybe some Recoil Protos or Steelfibers.

OP: did they have the DG Pro available as a shaft to order? Tour Concepts are an awesome shaft. Had those in my S-58's, but man, its a shame to rip them apart from the factory upon arrival to re-shaft them. DG Pro has been getting good marks and is also a flighted set of shafts. Just a thought if there is any chance to change up your order still.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1420390439' post='10684017']
Love my 55's. Have been lucky enough to play the 58's, 56's, and now the 55's, and the 55's are without a doubt my favorite. The S-56's were an awesome set too.
I liked the change to the lead edge being a little more blunted/less prone to dig with the 55's. I think that opened this set up for even more people to play over the 56's whch liked to be "picked" just a tad more. Feeling is softer and sound is much more muted at impact. It took a couple rounds to adjust to the new sound for me.
The cavity is deeper in the 55's as well, adding even more forgiveness over the 56's while maintaining the same head shape/size for the most part. They really knocked it out of the park with the 55's. For me, they too are the set for all others to take on ever since I got them. Only change I'll make for 2015 is moving out of C-tapers in them and maybe some Recoil Protos or Steelfibers.

OP: did they have the DG Pro available as a shaft to order? Tour Concepts are an awesome shaft. Had those in my S-58's, but man, its a shame to rip them apart from the factory upon arrival to re-shaft them. DG Pro has been getting good marks and is also a flighted set of shafts. Just a thought if there is any chance to change up your order still.
[/quote]

I ordered them with s300's and yes the DG Pros were available. IMO and personal experience I do not find the DG Pros to be close to Tour Concepts. The DG Pros played to flex softer than the Tour Concepts, they felt softer almost in a bad way, and they're flighted shaft experience regarding launch was different than the tour concepts. It seemed know matter what the iron was they just wanted to fly high.

You seemed to have the same thoughts as me regarding the DG Pros, it's just unfortunate I didn't care for them. It's worth getting good shafts and ripping them apart if you are going to play the irons for a couple of years. I'm hoping to go 3 years playing these irons but I am lucky if I go 3 months.