(Football) Soccer thread (English Premier League, Champions League)

apple_crumble

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1410715293' post='10115697']
For all of you that didn't know, Angel Di Maria is world class. Not sure how well United will do this season but that may be the signing of the season.
[/quote]

Definitely. I actually think Man Utd have a good chance of getting a draw against Liverpool with these new signings.

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1410758389' post='10118619']
For all of you that didn't know, Angel Di Maria is world class. Not sure how well United will do this season but that may be the signing of the season.
[/quote]

Definitely. I actually think Man Utd have a good chance of getting a draw against Liverpool with these new signings.
[/quote]

IMO United are better. The Injuries are annoying atm. Right Now I see United finishing 3rd.

[/quote]

Di Maria and Ronaldo are very good together.. Just a thought for the next transfer period :)

[quote name='TheGameChanger' timestamp='1410760706' post='10118687']
[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1410758389' post='10118619']
[/quote]

[/quote]

IMO United are better. The Injuries are annoying atm. Right Now I see United finishing 3rd.
[/quote]

Man really? I never want to be a boastful Man Utd fan especially after these tough times, but you might be right!!
But B.Rogers is a fantastic manager and I think when they meet, Liverpool would have been working well, but same goes for United.

[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1410765329' post='10118755']
[/quote]

Di Maria and Ronaldo are very good together.. Just a thought for the next transfer period :)
[/quote]

You're getting my hopes up!!

[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1410845475' post='10124807']
Champions League finally starting! I hope Basel can do something against Madrid, but I am sort of doubting it :D
[/quote]

It's hard but not impossible, the Madrid squad is heavily reliant on CR7, they have a poor back and their strikers are not in their best form. Madrid relies too much on Ronaldo and Bale..

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1410848798' post='10124905']
Champions League finally starting! I hope Basel can do something against Madrid, but I am sort of doubting it :D
[/quote]

It's hard but not impossible, the Madrid squad is heavily reliant on CR7, they have a poor back and their strikers are not in their best form. Madrid relies too much on Ronaldo and Bale..
[/quote]
Looks like 'il muro' walter samuel is starting for us. Doubt he can keep up with bale and co, but we shall see

[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1410852383' post='10124947']
[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1410848798' post='10124905']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Looks like 'il muro' walter samuel is starting for us. Doubt he can keep up with bale and co, but we shall see
[/quote]

It's so weird how he used to play for Madrid! Also, how did the Swiss League have games during the World Cup? That is insane..

Liverpool need to find their ryhthum quick. Glad they came away with the 3 points today but it was not pretty. Balotelli will score goals and especially when sturridge gets fit and they play together. Liverpool will and are missing Suarez's work off the ball more than his goals at this point. Just gotta get the new boys on the same page and the fixtures list is kind to is the next few weeks.

[quote name='gr00vetech' timestamp='1410919803' post='10129499']
Liverpool need to find their ryhthum quick. Glad they came away with the 3 points today but it was not pretty. Balotelli will score goals and especially when sturridge gets fit and they play together. Liverpool will and are missing Suarez's work off the ball more than his goals at this point. Just gotta get the new boys on the same page and the fixtures list is kind to is the next few weeks.
[/quote]

I agree, I think Liverpool will do well when they start to get used to the new players. When Sturridge and Balotelli play together, they will be as great as Costa and Fabegras, albeit a bit different in positions. I fear when United play Liverpool, we might get owned, Liverpool is very solid.

Juventus did very well with Tevez in the Champions League!

Man City lost to Bayern (very close call), while Chelsea drew (unlucky). Well done Liverpool for winning, and let's hope Arsenal will do better but Dortmund was amazing.

Maybe it is a good thing that United is sitting this one out so their players could rest (what else can a United fan like me say...)??

• 2 weeks later...

Liverpool look truly lost without Sturridge and Suarez. I thought Balotelli's debut was really promising for a partnership with Sturridge. I still think it will materialize, just will take a little longer now. They're in big trouble though in the league and in Europe, they don't seem to have any identity at all right now.

Very nervy at the end, but what a save at the end from de gea! My seat is right behind where he made that save and wow take a bow son as it was top draw and got United a very hard fought win. It's getting there bit by bit under van gaal but I think you'll see United click after Xmas but it's pleasing to see United win these types of matches

[quote name='jrharden' timestamp='1412780733' post='10255001']
Well, once again injuries are plaguing Arsenal. Now Mesut Ozil is out for 10-12 weeks with knee ligament damage. Not that he has been contributing a whole lot, but man this sucks.
[/quote]

Yep, the gooners injury list is nuts, I thought United's was bad!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1420535307' post='10693753']
[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1420534170' post='10693733']
I heard rumours about Pogba going back to ManU for a healthy 77M £.
[/quote]

That too, seems silly how they let him go for the cheap to Juventus and now want him back... although Juventus really helped him improve his game.
[/quote]
A lot of money for sure. But he has the potential to be one of the best central midfield players for the next 7-8 years

[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1420543574' post='10693831']
[/quote]

That too, seems silly how they let him go for the cheap to Juventus and now want him back... although Juventus really helped him improve his game.
[/quote]
A lot of money for sure. But he has the potential to be one of the best central midfield players for the next 7-8 years
[/quote]

I'm not doubting his potential, but the price tag these days... Pretty soon Ronaldo's price tag would be considered average...

[quote name='apple_crumble' timestamp='1420548782' post='10693983']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I'm not doubting his potential, but the price tag these days... Pretty soon Ronaldo's price tag would be considered average...
[/quote]
I definitely agree on that, especially in the BPL.

I definitely agree on that, especially in the BPL.

Yes, if it weren't for Financial Fair Play, it could get a lot worse...

On a side note, I had no idea these two were related. Crazy, but makes sense... Both super talented in their field.

gareth-bale-445273.jpgbale-bats-christian-bale-s-reaction-to-affleck-s-batman-isn-t-what-you-d-expect.jpeg?width=800&height=450

Maybe hummels as a bid was sent in but can't see it til summer, vlaar is injured for 6 weeks so that's dead...........valdes signed which probably means de gea is off in the summer. If so United can't get their pants pulled down by real again, want at least one top player in return. But considering the horrific injury list this season, van gaal has down wonders and if we win on Sunday United are in a great position to finish 3rd.........plus I want a trip to wembley in May, always a top day out!

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[size=4]Fergie needs a bollocking for pogba, playing park and rafael in midfield ahead of him to make a point was stupid! We friggin lost to Blackburn that day as well..........lost title on goal difference too........as you see that day city won it still leaves scares[/size]

Maybe hummels as a bid was sent in but can't see it til summer, vlaar is injured for 6 weeks so that's dead...........valdes signed which probably means de gea is off in the summer. If so United can't get their pants pulled down by real again, want at least one top player in return. But considering the horrific injury list this season, van gaal has down wonders and if we win on Sunday United are in a great position to finish 3rd.........plus I want a trip to wembley in May, always a top day out!

248492ED00000578-0-image-a-79_1420820324881.jpg

That would be great if they could get Hummels and co, but realistically I imagine it will be a quiet summer. Now Strootman says he wants to stay with Roma.

I hope United can pen a new deal with De Gea so he doesn't go for cheap to Madrid...

The most funny rumour is United being the only team able to afford Messi due to the FFP rules, and he won't go to Madrid

248492ED00000578-0-image-a-79_1420820324881.jpg

That would be great if they could get Hummels and co, but realistically I imagine it will be a quiet summer. Now Strootman says he wants to stay with Roma.

I hope United can pen a new deal with De Gea so he doesn't go for cheap to Madrid...

The most funny rumour is United being the only team able to afford Messi due to the FFP rules, and he won't go to Madrid

If the £500 million is to be believed as the true price tag I don't think even United could afford him with FFP as they still need to balance the books over the course of the year. He's a phenomenal player but nobody is worth that.

Look at the biggest transfers in Europe over the years and the fact that £100 mil has never been breached. Is messi worth 5 times that? I don't think so. He's unproven outside of La Liga and plays in a team built around him. Yes he has an unbelievable record but in my mind there's a few telling things from the last few years. When Barca played against Chelsea in the champs league put him against a strong prem league defence and he looks very ordinary. He was also pretty unimpressive at the World Cup

If he decides to leave it might be nearer the end of his contract but couldn't see it ever being more then £150 mil.