Higher Spin Alternative to E6+ - FOUND IT

telluwhat

I live in the Pacific Northwest and absolutely love the E6+. It's a great ball, especially for colder, wet weather - soft feel, excellent driver distance and accuracy, and okay spin for soft greens.

The greens are now getting firmer, and even a 65 yard wedge shot hit with my Vokey Spin Milled 56* wedge yesteday rolled too far from the pin.

I need something that *feels* like the E6+ but spins more. To me, the B330-S feels harder than the E6+, and the e5+ feels a lot harder. I'm willing to switch brands for the summer if needed. I joined golfballselector.com but some of the balls they recommend either don't last long or are balls I've tried but don't like.

Anyone find something with similar feel and performance to the E6+ but with more spin?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our testing to date has shown that the following golf balls exhibit similar compression and cover hardness to the Bridgestone e6+ (07):

- Bridgestone e6 (06)

- Nike Power Distance Soft (08)

- Top-Flite D2 Feel (07)

- Srixon TriSpeed (07)

- Wilson Fifty (07)

- TaylorMade Burner (08)

One approach would be to pick a few of these and get them from a recycled golf ball site like LostGolfBalls.com and try them out on the course. Our testing has also shown that depending on specific ball speed and launch, these golf balls have exhibited more sand wedge spin than the Bridgestone e6+ (07). Your specific swing characteristics and preferences will ultimately drive the GolfBallSelector recommendations.

Gary Mayes

GolfBallSelector.com

Gary,

Thanks for the info. Looks like the Nike PD Soft is the best option for now. I've tried the Srixon TriSpeed and the Wilson Fifty, just didn't like the feel.

Took a Nike PD soft and Taylor Made TP Red to the local golf course practice area tonight. I really, really wanted to like the TM because of the great reviews. Loved the feel and performance, but 3 solid shots with my Vokey 60* Spin Milled wedge left 3 really bad rough spots, like with last years Cally HX Tour and HX 56. No reason to play super premium balls here until it gets really hot and dry.

OTOH, the Nike PD Soft felt great and had a much more durable cover, no noticeable marks. Will try playing it during this weekend's round and report back.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and absolutely love the E6+. It's a great ball, especially for colder, wet weather - soft feel, excellent driver distance and accuracy, and okay spin for soft greens.

The greens are now getting firmer, and even a 65 yard wedge shot hit with my Vokey Spin Milled 56* wedge yesteday rolled too far from the pin.

I need something that *feels* like the E6+ but spins more. To me, the B330-S feels harder than the E6+, and the e5+ feels a lot harder. I'm willing to switch brands for the summer if needed. I joined golfballselector.com but some of the balls they recommend either don't last long or are balls I've tried but don't like.

Anyone find something with similar feel and performance to the E6+ but with more spin?

The problem you're facing is the fact that the b330s and the other high spinning balls is that they are designed for the high swing speeds as oppose to the e6 which are a 3 peice ball for the slower swing speeds, you're going to find it hard to get a happy medium of high spin but soft feel for a slower swing speed but still has reasonable distance.

Try the srixon urethane balls, the burner tp, tp black,

I found the nxt tour and gamer are more suited for faster swing speeds.

I had a chance to play the new TM Red LDP today. It is truly a great high spin alternative to the E6+. Just as long off the tee and almost as forgiving. I hit a few drives that faded a bit more to the right than the E6+, but the TM Red only went off line about 1-3 yards more - never put me in trouble.

The feel of the TM Red LDP is virtually the same as the E6+ from tee to green. Great feel off the wedges and putter and not harsh with the driver or irons. Amazing how close these two balls are in performance and feel, other than the higher iron and wedge spin for the Red.

I was a bit concerned with scuffing based on my test at the practice range earlier this week, but the Red held up well to my Vokey spin milled wedges, barely showing a few minor nicks - nothing that would cause playability concerns. And, I was pleasantly surprised at the spin of the Red - even got a sandy today, hit a 30 ft. shot out of a greenside bunker that landed near the hole and checked right up.

So, if you love the E6+ but need something with more spin for harder greens, I'd recommend trying the TM Red LDP. It's in the bag until the wet weather returns.

Thanks to all who posted replies to this thread.

The TaylorMade TP Red (LDP) is the lower spin ball in the line. The TP Black (LDP) is the spin ball.

The Taylor Made website shows the Red is for high-spin players and the Black is for low-spin players:

Taylor Made golf balls

Note that I wasn't trying to find the *highest* spinning alternative, just looking for a ball that has a higher spin rate than the E6+ but feels the same. The Red is right on the money.

I've played the E6+ and is not in the same class as either TP (LDP) ball as far as my game is concerned.

The Red is definitely in a different class than the E6+ for short iron and wedge shots into the green for my game. Other than that, both are long off the driver and irons and the Red feels about the same as the E6+ for pitches, chips, and putts. The Red simply holds better on harder, faster greens.

Finally had a chance to hit the Wilson Zip on a warm day (90) when the greens were decent and my GIR were happnin. I'm getting a medium check on the short stuff, not as good as a premium urethane ball but acceptable. Many scoring iron shots where the ball was 2-4 feet from the ball mark. The ball is long as any other premium ball, these softer core balls fly just fine with my 105 ss.

Yes, the TP Red LDP is for high spin players because it spins less while the TP Black LDP is for low spin players because it spins more.

Scott,

Exactly. We said the same thing, I just quoted the language from the box.

Some interesting discussion on differences between the TM Red and Black here. I can't tell whether the numbers posted are for the LDP or older version, but they show there's less than 200 rpm difference between the Red and Black.

As I already mentioned, I wasn't looking for the ball that spins the most, just one that felt like the E6+ but had more spin.

telluwhat,

If we are saying the same thing, why quote the web site? You quoted the web site because you thought it was saying something different than I was....then you realized the web site and I were in agreement so you flip flopped.....

The TP Black LDP spins noticeably more than the TP Red LDP. Both are incredibly good balls and I think they are better than the Pro V series balls...at least fro my game. Plus they are cheaper!

Scott

Scott,

There's no need to get defensive just because I choose not to agree with everything you post. And I certainly disagree with your last childish opinion.

I thought the purpose of this board was to encourage discussion about golf, not attack and accuse people trying to have a meaningful exchange of ideas. Shame on you.

Not everyone will take your posts as absolute gospel. You should be old enough to know that now.

telluwhat,

Whoa dude! Gospel??? That's why all my posts in this thread that expressed an opinion about how certain balls played was always qualified with a statement saying that the opinion presented was in regards to my game, not anyone else's.

I guess I don't like it when someone posts something to disagree with you then, when called on it, say they agreed with you all along.

I love discussion. I even enjoy disagreement because it fosters learning.

When I said:

"The TaylorMade TP Red (LDP) is the lower spin ball in the line. The TP Black (LDP) is the spin ball."

You came back with:

"The Taylor Made website shows the Red is for high-spin players and the Black is for low-spin players"

With a link to the TaylorMade web site. Why would you do that if you agreed with what I wrote???? That quote of yours is a rebuttal to my quote, not an agreement.....

Anyway....good luck with your ball choice.

Scott