2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

I am a 0 handicap currently and play MP-33s. I have MP-69s but the 33s are just something special so I am gaming them. I prefer blades simply because the thin sole works for the way I swing better than wider soles. I tend to get much better distance control with them as well over CBs. I also tend to like heavier shafts in my clubs, like DG weight, than lighter shafts. I like to swing hard and with lighter shafts I get out of sequence.

This year, I would like to add Titleist 714 MBs to the arsenal. I've always loved Titleist irons as well as Mizuno and some of my best golf has been played with Titleist MBs, the 681 to be precise. Still have those irons too and pull them out time to time.

• Like 2

68's for me. I dunno...I guess I am one of the last handful of people who actually came up playing blades and wooden...woods. My first set was an old MacGregor set 3-sw that was a loaner from a family friend. I played those for years before moving on to something else. I don't really think it is all that big a deal for someone to want to play blades. I don't think ability has as much to do with it as appreciating the way they look behind the ball. I do have another set of 53's, and alternate depending on what I feel like on a particular day.

• Like 1

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Low single digit and been playing blades for years. My blades of choice are custom MacGregor 1025MB's that find their way into my bag when my ball striking gets stinky. A new set of irons looks to be just around the corner, but I am not sure they will be pure blades though. Don't tell anyone, but aging has it's disadvantages. :)

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Low hdcp golfer who grew up playing blades. I play some old Maruman Curtis Strange blades currently and have found that nothing feels the same for me as my blades. I bought some J40s off the bay and played them,(and played them well), last year. Yes they felt very good but after my small tourneys were over I played them side-by-side against my blades and found they just don't feel quite as well. I love the feedback I get with blades even when it's the ugly kind:) I also love the look of the club sitting behind the ball. I love the look I get when others see the old blade 2 iron come out of the bag:) It's kinda like keeping a part of history alive by using the old style clubs. Quite frankly I hit them every bit as well as any other club and I like the challenge of them. I've always been somewhat about the look of possessions and nothing looks as good as a long iron blade behind the ball.

Callaway 816 DBD 9 w/Tour AD TP 6S
XHOT2 4W w/Tour Green 75S
Xhot 2 PRO 23 hybrid w/AD DI 95S
Apex 20 hybrid with AD Di 95S
MP18 Fli Hi 2 iron w AD DI 95S
MP18 SC 5 and 6 iron with PXLZ 6.0
MP18 PW-7 irons with PXLZ 6.0
S18 Wedges 52 and 58 Gunmetal with PXLZ 6.0
Bettinardi QB6 putter

Started with these. [attachment=2563691:$_12 Nickluas JNP's.JPG]

And currently play ....[attachment=2563693:$_12 Adams MB2.JPG]

I wanna try these... [attachment=2563701:mizuno_JPX850.jpg]

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

[quote name='bananaezgo' timestamp='1420836360' post='10717495']
Low hdcp golfer who grew up playing blades. I play some old Maruman Curtis Strange blades currently and have found that nothing feels the same for me as my blades. I bought some J40s off the bay and played them,(and played them well), last year. Yes they felt very good but after my small tourneys were over I played them side-by-side against my blades and found they just don't feel quite as well. I love the feedback I get with blades even when it's the ugly kind:) I also love the look of the club sitting behind the ball. I love the look I get when others see the old blade 2 iron come out of the bag:) It's kinda like keeping a part of history alive by using the old style clubs. Quite frankly I hit them every bit as well as any other club and I like the challenge of them. I've always been somewhat about the look of possessions and nothing looks as good as a long iron blade behind the ball.
[/quote]

Nice. I play, in my two-set rotation, a set of Curtis Strange MacGregor VIPs, the late 80s model. They have a large muscle with some mass towards the toe that helps my tendency to hit out there.

Even within the blade spectrum, there are designs that can help or hurt you. I'm a 3 hdcp, but I played blades when I was a 15, too.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

My name is.....Jon..... LOL....

shoot in the mid to low 80's pretty regularly, I alternate between my JPX's and my Nike Blades.....why? Because I can thats why LOL! Nah seriously though with the sun and the rain.....the heavy winds.....the 2 different clubs with 2 different shafts let me get the best of both worlds.....So instead of making the game harder, I have made it easier for me!

I have a 2 iron in my Nike blades that I love using off the tee.....it is the most amazing feel when you pure one and to say that I can hit a 2 iron which the head is smaller than the golf ball is an ego boosting, chest thumping accomplishment in my book.

Other than that, I pay X amount of green fees.....I am going to have fun..... so If I want to feel like Tiger Woods or Rory Mcilroy for the day while using blades then so be it......its my money and I will do whatever I want to make the most out of it!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='juststeve' timestamp='1420839051' post='10717733']
I'm now 66 years old, a plus handicap and played blades me entire life until I went to AP2s spring 2014. Just couldn't get the long irons up any more. AP2s are a bit like the blue pill.

Steve
[/quote]

[color=#ffffe0]@ 66, I have been hearing its been harder to get that "Long Iron" up..............thats what she says right?[/color]

OOOOOHHHHH MAN I am so sorry I just had to!! Happy Aloha Friday!!!

Back on topic....... Hey Bigmean.....you think maybe you could make a poll also asking what is it about the Blade that you enjoy? Feel, Workability, launch, look score etc??? Im actually curious now since we are getting such a good response to this thread!

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Started with Adams MB2 Last season, went to a cb for the first time. No real difference in scoring so I picked up a new set of Fourteen FH-1000'S. Cant wait to get them on the course in the spring.

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

mp69s for me, ended the season as a 6. a change in life means i don't get a chance to play much anymore (and never have time to practice). so when i do play, i want it to be with [i]feeling[/i], both positive and negative, lol.

it's like a production car's speed governor, except by playing blades the things being suppressed are my high expectations and my delusions of grandeur. missing a green with a 4i seems okay. and a nutted 4i brings about a whole-body sensation that ends with a big, doofy grin. pure.

while almost everyone is going GI or SGI, i just bought a set of vintage hogan's off the bay, can't wait to put them in play in the spring. i'll probably suck with them. and that'll be just fine, as long as i get that one solid shot in there at some point.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='juststeve' timestamp='1420839051' post='10717733']
I'm now 66 years old, a plus handicap and played blades me entire life until I went to AP2s spring 2014. Just couldn't get the long irons up any more. AP2s are a bit like the blue pill.

Steve
[/quote]
Sure it was just the blades you weren't getting up :) Just kidding of course.

Every time I read one of these blade threads I miss my old Titleist 690.MB even more. My swing is solid enough that I could still play them today. You got me thinking....which is bad!

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model

MP 14's here. I am a high 70s low 80s player. I have been playing the same irons since high school (35 now). I really want to change but never pull the trigger. I just love the way my irons look & feel. I bought some J38cb and promptly sold them. Pretty stupid really, they are great irons. They just aren't my irons. I actually really like the S55's but something always holds me back.

Hey Bigmean, I read somewhere in one of your threads that you have raw MP 14's. How has the wear been on those? I am seriously considering doing that to mine. Pics would be much appreciated.

Titleist TSR3 8.25*
Titleist TSR3 15*

SIM 2 Ti 19*
Miura TC-201 4-PW
NCW 55*
Vokey T grind 60*
Bettinardi BB46
Bridgestone Tour B X

[quote name='cmrl1986' timestamp='1420840030' post='10717871']
Started with Adams MB2 Last season, went to a cb for the first time. No real difference in scoring so I picked up a new set of Fourteen FH-1000'S. Cant wait to get them on the course in the spring.
[/quote]

I had the fh1000s for a short stint. I did not like them because of a few reasons that will probably not effect you so I will let you judge, but I will say, they were ridiculously forgiving, and long. Mishits worth noting only came up a few yards short. Their reverse muscle tech is the real deal on a blade.

I grew up in a tweener era. I am 34. My first wood was a ladies persimmon driver due to my size/strength. My first real set was peerless cavity backs. My neighbor and his brother who were probably 38ish at the time played blades, hogan apex and taylormade TP to be exact. They were both low 80s high 70s when I was probably fighting to shoot a legit 88 or so. David, the one with the apex, was such a strong iron player, I marveled at how the ball came off his shots. I tried their clubs, no big deal or difference in my shots with them next to mine, but I felt "it".

I soon after got a set of dci 962s because I was "not a good enough golfer". I had many good rounds with them and really played a lot of golf with them. Then before I graduated high school, I got a used set of mp 14s for I wanna say $300 or so. A big purchase back then. I just never forgot those guys clubs, and tiger won 3 ams with the 14s so why not? I still have and use that set to this day (I just donated my 962s to a junior golf academy that is county run and hopefully they give some kid they same joy they brought me). I would alternate the sets depending on how I was hitting it. At some point I realized the 962s were a mental pacifier, and had nothing to do with my play.

Fast forward to last year. I had back surgery, didn't play for 5/6 years. Just got back into it. Played the 962s of course. Was shooting high, then low 90s but felt awful about everything. I had no swing, I felt lost and not right after 4/5 rounds and practice. Going to the range, I took some mizzys. Hit them well, no, I should say I didn't hit them terrible, but I felt golf again for the first time in years. Bagged them. Broke 80 within a month or so(more rust shaking off as well, not saying it was all the clubs), and that was it for me. I knew that I had to feel golf to enjoy it, and I had to enjoy it and want to make shots to actually make shots. Then I went a little JDM overboard in excitement and am back in IR from a broken rib from falling off a skateboard(while drinking, don't ask....)then I rebroke it trying to golf again too soon... I have just started testing it out at the range a little, should be safe in February or March, as I am not going to rush it back again and start over. My season is summer when golf is cheap here, so that is what counts.

Anyway, now you all have my abridged golf life story.

[quote name='myr79' timestamp='1420841894' post='10718069']
MP 14's here. I am a high 70s low 80s player. I have been playing the same irons since high school (35 now). I really want to change but never pull the trigger. I just love the way my irons look & feel. I bought some J38cb and promptly sold them. Pretty stupid really, they are great irons. They just aren't my irons. I actually really like the S55's but something always holds me back.

Hey Bigmean, I read somewhere in one of your threads that you have raw MP 14's. How has the wear been on those? I am seriously considering doing that to mine. Pics would be much appreciated.
[/quote]

So funny, I was posting when you were. I will put up some pics, but we are totally same age and experience with the 14s. They are so awesome.

Brian, I have heard the austrailian blades are actually cast. I have and won't sell a set of the taylormade tps my neighbor had when I was growing up, they are also cast. They are not the best feeling clubs, but they still have that "it". I have heard people say the Aussie blades feel unreal and terrible.....the internet is a place with lots of comments....

I am a low single digit and I play the Callaway Razr Musclebacks. They are the best irons I've played in my life. I've had them for about 3 years now and haven't even considered replacing them. The thin sole and higher center of gravity are what sells me on blades. I just feel comfortable and confident when I look down at them....all the reason I need!

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade Gloire HY U4 JDM 20* - Nippon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Max Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Sonartec  T46b12 JDM LW 60* - TT S200
Royal Collection  East Coast - Miami JDM 

Jones  Rover R Utility

My mp 14s.

Needles to say they were beat up before this. Some browning on scoring clubs, lots of bag dings, and my 7 had a nice gauge on the leading edge. This is them

After I had the chrome stripped and spent a lot of careful time sanding them. Straight raw.

clubs1_zpscf9edd7b.jpg

After black oxide.

clubs3_zpse8830cc3.jpg

clubs2_zps46a3803b.jpg

And, The reality of raw irons in Florida humidity

clubs7_zpsc8bd7a43.jpg

However, just wipe down with WD 40 or better yet a gun metal rust preventer, and they look almost newish again. I keep them in the garage and WD them randomly every 3 weeks or so and just do same after use. This pic was day after use with no wipe down. The maintenance doesn't bother me, and I really like the raw iron look with no paint fill, they are mean as hell in person. Also, the rust looks way worse than it is, it effects the clubhead zero, and they actually are a tad softer after I did this.

• Like 4

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1420843120' post='10718191']
Brian, I have heard the austrailian blades are actually cast. I have and won't sell a set of the taylormade tps my neighbor had when I was growing up, they are also cast. They are not the best feeling clubs, but they still have that "it". I have heard people say the Aussie blades feel unreal and terrible.....the internet is a place with lots of comments....
[/quote]

Tad Moore who designed the TM92 (& posts on WRX) would disagree with you. Australian Blades made after 1992 (I think by Maltby), were cast.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/170737-the-history-of-australian-blades/

That said, forged clubs feel no different than cast clubs. The method of construction is irrelevant to "feel". Material, design, weight, etc. is what creates "feel".

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1420844707' post='10718303']
Ahhhh, so if I ever get a set, the tm92 or bust. Thanks!
[/quote]

Personally, I don't think the TM92's are the best looking Australian Blades, they just happened to be the best ones I could find when I was looking for a set. Take a look at the thread I quoted and you'll see a lot of good looking Australian Blades. They were THE club on the PGA Tour, back in the late 70's.

I'm a blade fanatic and I'm not afraid to say it. I started playing this game with an old set of cavities when I noticed a fellow lefty at the range hitting a set of Mizuno MP-32's. He let me hit the 6 iron a few times and I was stunned. The look of that blade behind the ball was perfect and the sound it made at contact was amazing. After feeling and seeing all of that I had to get me some blades. My very first set was Haig Ultra's 2-Pw, with a Top Kick 1 iron (it looked like a teaspoon and amazingly after all these years I can still rip it). I currently game a set of Titleist blades (see signature). I plan to upgrade one day, but nothing feels as good as the sticks I'm playing right now. Sometimes I still take that Top Kick 1 iron blade to the range just to stay sharp. You should see the looks I get - and some of the comments are unbelievable. Lol, I love it :)

Titleist 913D3 7.75* w/RIP Phenom 60 Stiff Flex
Titleist 913F 12.75* w/RIP Phenom 80 Stiff Flex
Titleist 983K 8.5* w/Project X 7C3 Stiff Flex
Callaway FT Tour 18* w/Project X 5.5 Graphite
Titleist 690.MB 2-Pw w/Project X Flighted 6.0
Vokey Spin-Milled - 54/11, 59/06 & 64/07 w/TTS300
Yes! Nicky @ 32" w/UST Freq Filtered Shaft
Yes! Callie-fc Blackout @ 31.5" (Alternate 1)
Odyssey Black Series #1 w/UST Freq. Filtered Shaft
IOmic Grips throughout the bag...

I currently play 712MB, stepping back from 714MB that I didn't quite get along with. I've played my best rounds with narrow soled, low CG, relatively thin topline irons. I prefer the feel and control of blades, especially that my misfits are more consistent and corrections are easy to identify.

I have previously had KZG ZO Blades that I felt were awesome, but a few years too early for my good golf.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"