If Titleist stopped making the Pro-V 1 series?????

overtona

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on point #3, that may be what you feel or want to be true...but it's simply not the case. ask anyone who works in golf retail and they'll tell you the same.

Please elaborate. And I'll explain a bit too as I did a poor job of making my third point. Titelist's marketing campaign for the ProV1 is that it is the number one ball on tour. I believe that is their slogan, and clearly all of their adds are dedicated to that point. That is it's unique selling principal; more tour players use it. By way of comparison the Nike Platinum spots describe its four layers and performance. Yes, they do show Tiger, but the spot is clearly about the ball, not who on uses it. Nike may elude to their tour players but the spot is about the ball.

In other words, other companies like Nike, Cally and Bridgestone focus on the ball while titleist focuses on the tour. The tone of the Titelist commercials has worn thin for me. How many people out there actually have a tour swing, or will benefit from the marginal difference between a $ 40.00 Bridgestone when compared to a $ 45 prov1? The argument to explain the difference would be technical, boring and fail to compel, I suspect. So to justify the difference they show the bright smiling tour faces and say their ball is the MOSTEST on tour, which it is, but like all campaigns is wearing thin.

Furthermore, I suspect that if the Prov1 was not number one on tour, it would hurt the entire product line sales wise. IMHO the NXT is not nearly as nice as the other mid-range three piece balls. But I'm not the kind of guy who drive a ford and pretend they are Lincolns. (heck neither is as nice as my Honda, which rides on Bridgestone by the way)

Taylormade pushes the make campain in drivers.

on point #3, that may be what you feel or want to be true...but it's simply not the case. ask anyone who works in golf retail and they'll tell you the same.

Please elaborate. And I'll explain a bit too as I did a poor job of making my third point. Titelist's marketing campaign for the ProV1 is that it is the number one ball on tour. I believe that is their slogan, and clearly all of their adds are dedicated to that point. That is it's unique selling principal; more tour players use it. By way of comparison the Nike Platinum spots describe its four layers and performance. Yes, they do show Tiger, but the spot is clearly about the ball, not who on uses it. Nike may elude to their tour players but the spot is about the ball.

In other words, other companies like Nike, Cally and Bridgestone focus on the ball while titleist focuses on the tour. The tone of the Titelist commercials has worn thin for me. How many people out there actually have a tour swing, or will benefit from the marginal difference between a $ 40.00 Bridgestone when compared to a $ 45 prov1? The argument to explain the difference would be technical, boring and fail to compel, I suspect. So to justify the difference they show the bright smiling tour faces and say their ball is the MOSTEST on tour, which it is, but like all campaigns is wearing thin.

Furthermore, I suspect that if the Prov1 was not number one on tour, it would hurt the entire product line sales wise. IMHO the NXT is not nearly as nice as the other mid-range three piece balls. But I'm not the kind of guy who drive a ford and pretend they are Lincolns. (heck neither is as nice as my Honda, which rides on Bridgestone by the way)

sorry i didn't respond to your post earlier. i was not avoiding it but rather my "subscription" to the topic did not notify me of the replies after my post.

my point is that regardless of how, what, when, where and why the ball is marketed and whether it's justified or not (i actually agree with some of your points), from a retail standpoint of speaking and dealing with customers on an every day basis (in more than one location over the last few years), the general golfing public is no where near "fed up with the marketing of the prov1." it's simply not true which is why i stated that your assumption in point #3 is "simply not the case." again, ask anyone involved with retail golf and they'll attest to the fact that the general golfing population asks for, about and compares every similarly positioned ball to the Prov1(x). i have yet to hear one customer out of thousands say he/she is not going to play a Prov1(x) because he/she is fed up with the way it is marketed. admittedly that happens here at GolfWRX and probably at other "enthusiast" golf sites but keep in mind, we represent a vast minority of the general golfing public.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

Also, I think, were in not for the Titleist PROV1 then there wouldnt be nearly the competition there is now with this type of ball.Callaway is frivously sueing Titleist for copyright infringement because they feel they own the copyright/patent to multi layered golf balls.Titleist had a ball several years ago {The HVC} that was not a wound ball as did numerous companys.I think the patents were all Callaway were interested in when they bought Top Flite.

Taylor Mades TP balls are excellent.Most "multi layered" balls these days are.I happen to prefer Callaways new tour ix because it dosent spin as much off the long clubs and actually feels firm off the driver with Top Flite XL distance then it turns into a completely different ball on and around the greens.IMO Callaway has got the perfect combination with this ball.As of NOW,I wont play anything else.Just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.Golf Balls are no exception.Actually,golf balls are the opposite.

the die hards here understand the dilemma between callaway and titleist. the regular weekend golfer has no idea what is happening with the litigation. whether titleist loses or not , they will come out with a new ball anyway and the current crop of weekenders will jump to that ball....as will the the amateur and pro players. most titleist players are die hard......they aren't switching.

titleist will still be the #1 ball in golf. if i had to switch.....bridgestone B330.

What is going on with the litigation> Titliest is being sued by Callaway or something?

To answer the original question, probably TM and Cally as they are well marketed and funded.

I personally enjoy the old TP Black.

In response to the discussion about marketing, etc. You have to realize, the average american IQ is 100. 100..... Do you know what that means? IF you're reading this board, I"m guessing you're above 100. It's marketing for the masses. People love the ProV1 marketing because if Tour players love it, then it's for sure good enough for me. Could I make the ball stop on a dime with a 4 iron from 215? If I had a ProV1 I could. In the end, it really is all about the $$$.

Have you looked at the numbers for golf ball sales??? ProV1 series, by itself, not Titleist, ProV1 by itself is approx 45% of the market. Marketing works, maybe not for you, but surely for the masses.

BTW, I love finding ProV1s in the favorite hot spots of the local courses, I've played with many and never bought a box. Keep up the good work Titleist, free balls are the best.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.