2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

uPRO....Anyone seen this latest entry in the GPS wars?

mrb

I have intelligolf for my Dell Axim PPC that I use with a bluetooth GPS unit. I has pretty good scorekeeping features and GPS. I have thought about buying a PPC with bulit-in gps to make it more seamless. It works OK except in the TN heat of August. Not too many courses mapped for GPS, but you can map your own with google earth (time consuming) and by walking the course. I also have skycaddie (SG2), which is probably more user friendly. I am excited about upro, but await some 1st hand use reports.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like an interesting product, but I went to their website and checked a few thing out...and there way one thing that bothered me.

In their "News" section, they say that the device "made the cover of Golfweek", and the have a link to an "article" in Golfweek. On the Home Page, on the lower left, they tout " See UPro on the cover of Golfweek. Read Article."

But if you pull up the "article", you find a note that says "This cover wrap accompanies a limited number of subscriptions to the retail golf industry". The cover is marked "Advertisement", and the article that accompanies it isn't an article by Golfweek, but a "Special Advertising" article most likely written by the company.

More honestly, they should have said "See our ad in Golfweek!"

For some reason, this type of thing really bugs me. The website gives the impression that Golfweek thought the product was so great that it belonged on the cover...but then you realize it's not really the cover of Golfweek...just an ad that looks like the cover of Golfweek.

Does anyone else think this is a little disingenuous?

Does it make you think that maybe the rest of the information might be less than accurate as well? I've frequently found that outfits which "oversell" and exaggerate or mislead in their promotional material rarely deliver a quality product.

I have no knowledge of this one way or the other, but I just thought it was a bit of a mischaracterization. I don't have a dog in the fight either...don't own or use a laser or GPS.

you're right. this does seem shady. to pay for and "buy" an advertisement on the cover of a magazine and then make it seem as being something the magazine recognizes the product on its own. Marketing, lets hope it doesn't have anything to do with the engineers that designed the unit.

this is disengenuous. but i think it more of their marketing dept. and usually marketing doesn't have a clue about the actual product, they are just told to "hype" up and "sell" the thing.

same with the skycaddie, they said if anyone loses it they can disable it. but thats not true. someone lost it and skycaddie says it will still work but they can't download new courses from the site. but the unit will still work and they can map their own courses. a lot of dissappointed/frustrated skycaddie owners out there.

i have the golfguru, just received it haven't even played with it yet. cause the courses i play aren't in the database yet. i don't have 3 hours or so to go out and map my own course. when i have 3 or more hours, i want to play golf not driving around the course mapping it.

their customer service is very good and responsive. they said they can map it. its been almost a week. so we'll see.

i'm going to check out the UPROGPS. the website and the unit looks really nice. :russian_roulette:

their website says if you're not happy with it, you get to return it. although they charge 20% restocking fee.

each new course will cost 10 bucks- ouch! if you travel sometimes and play a course only once, to use this it costs 10 bucks? this can easily cost's someone couple hundred dollars a year or more. ouch!! membership would be cheaper in this case.

they said similar to cellphone durability= translation (don't get this thing wet) if it starts sprinkling when you're playing golf- put it in a ziplock bag!

customer service? have to wait and see.

very nice looking unit. but the pay per course is expensive and not all courses are listed.

i just called them. they are taking pre-orders and will ship in May sometime.

i asked them if they are releasing a limited number. they said no. so why pre-order? if you can just buy it when it comes out.

i'll wait a couple of months and read the reviews before buying this. - looks good. but they have to lower the price of the course download.

I researched the uPro this morning and the GPS device had a number of interesting feature. The uPro can be used in BasicMode or ProMode and the courses purchased in that mode have a different cost. The BasicMode has similar functionality to all the other GPS devices on the market and courses cost $2.00 each. The ProMode is why people will buy this product, you get one free download and all additional courses cost $10.00 each to download. There are packages available for BasicMode and ProMode downloads. For example, $40 will allows you to download 5 ProMode courses or 15 BasicMode courses (this pricing might be incorrect for BasicMode as this is more expensive than buying the courses individually).

uPro expects people to use their free download for their home (primary) course. If your home course is not available, you can request uPro to map the course and it will be completed in four business days. Of course, the course must have the imagery (satellite, aerial photography etc.) that meets their quality standards to produce the course in ProMode. If not, then the course could be mapped in Basic mode (but maybe not in four business days) and you would have to pay for the download or you can map the course yourself. You would then select a different ProMode course as your free download.

ProMode has what uPro calls a Smartview that gives you an overhead shot of the hole that you are aiming at from your current position up to the green. Anypoint is then used to allows you to select a target and measure the distance from your position to that particular target or the pin on the green. uPro calls these two features a combination of GPS and laser rangefinder in one unit.

The GPS unit is in color and costs $399.00. There will be additional software available in the future to allow the unit to use voice commands and keep statistics. However, there will be a cost for each of these upgrades. You can find all of this information at www.uprogps.com.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the item being advertised in the TGW catalog. While I'll be the first one to admit to being a gadget junkie, I'm not sure about this product. The pictures seemed too good to be true. Besides, I have a SkyCaddie SG5 and just absolutely love it. Don't think I'll be purchasing this novel product anytime soon but ya never know! :wacko:

My pro has sold quite a few SkyCaddie devices. But he saw the uPro at Orlando and did not order any S.C. for 2008. Talked with him last night and he expects a couple of uPRO in next week. He is really impressed with it and has seen an additional on course demo since Orlando. One issue raised on here is the course pricing; ironically, that's the biggest complaint my S.C. user friends have. With the exception of one guy who really travels, they are irked by a $30-50 annual fee when they only have 5-8 courses loaded. Do the math!-- in 2 years you've paid for 10 Pro-level downloads. Or if you want apple-to-apples; you can get 25 basic downloads. Be real! If I am going to play Troon North or Bay Hill; I want to full Kahuna graphics. If I am in a charity scramble at a local goat ranch; i'll load it for 2 bucks. I really feel uPRO is doing it the right way. I am glad I have held off pulling the trigger on a GPS-- but I'll jump on a uPRO.

It looks like an interesting product, but I went to their website and checked a few thing out...and there way one thing that bothered me.

In their "News" section, they say that the device "made the cover of Golfweek", and the have a link to an "article" in Golfweek. On the Home Page, on the lower left, they tout " See UPro on the cover of Golfweek. Read Article."

But if you pull up the "article", you find a note that says "This cover wrap accompanies a limited number of subscriptions to the retail golf industry". The cover is marked "Advertisement", and the article that accompanies it isn't an article by Golfweek, but a "Special Advertising" article most likely written by the company.

More honestly, they should have said "See our ad in Golfweek!"

For some reason, this type of thing really bugs me. The website gives the impression that Golfweek thought the product was so great that it belonged on the cover...but then you realize it's not really the cover of Golfweek...just an ad that looks like the cover of Golfweek.

Does anyone else think this is a little disingenuous?

Does it make you think that maybe the rest of the information might be less than accurate as well? I've frequently found that outfits which "oversell" and exaggerate or mislead in their promotional material rarely deliver a quality product.

I have no knowledge of this one way or the other, but I just thought it was a bit of a mischaracterization. I don't have a dog in the fight either...don't own or use a laser or GPS.

Agreed! I have a sub to golfweek and starting looking to find that one! Then looked a little closer to discover what you did, it sucks and makes me wonder about this type of "advertising" makes me think of when I opened a new business got a letter from "who's who!" in my industry wanting me to pay to be listed, yea right!

I have an SG5 and couldn't be happier...but I'd love to see this thing in action.

You have to purchase the belt clip separately? I just clip my SG5 on my golf bag and slide it out when I need to press buttons. I have a feeling this is going to be a big plastic harness-type clip like the cell-phone ones.

Please post reviews when you try one I'm very interested in these.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

Well I order a uPro through their website on Tuesday night - only to get to the very end and it said not shipping yet.

I then sent them a note on Wednesday morning asking when the units will actually ship.

I have heard nothing back yet = so far customer service is terrible. :yes:

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

I too ordered one through the website at the end of April assuming it was be shipped immediately but then was notified that it won't be shipped until May 9. I was irritated but I understand things happen. Then a few days later I got an email saying that there was a delay and the product won't be shipped until May 19th. By this time I was pretty fed up waiting for a unproven GPS unit that seemed to be kind of expensive and decided I'll just go to the local store and buy a GPS system there. Instant gradification.

So I decided to call the number listed in the letter, yeah the number was disconnected, then through some investigation I found another number in tiny font listed on the top right hand corner of the emailed letter. I called them and asked for Candice in customer service as the letter instructed me to if I had any questions or concerns. She wasn't around, I told the gentleman that answered the phone that I wanted to cancel the order because of the delays he said only Candice can cancel the order for me and she's not here right now. I said are you serious, only she can do this? He said yes, if you leave your name and number I will have her call you back ASAP. I did but guess what no one called me back, so two days later I called back again and the same thing happened but this time the excuse was that she was in a meeting and couldn't take the call, left my name and number again but still no call back.

I feel if this is the type of customer service this is provided now what can I expect 6 months down the line? Will they even be in business, what happens if I have a problem a year from now? Will I get a nice kick in the balls for bothering them with questions?

I still haven't heard anything from uPro. Not good.

Could be:

A) They have so much demand they don't even have time to respond.

b) They don't care about their customers at all.

I fully intend to use their "Performance Guarantee" and ship it back if it doesn't cut the mustard.

Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 

Being a member of the uPlay Customer Support Department, I wanted to take an opportunity to respond to some of the comments I've been reading about uPlay and the customer service. First, this small disclaimer. This is a personal account, so please direct all customer service requests and/or issues to the uPlay contact information provide at the bottom of this note.

uPlay is a new company. As such there are growing pains. While any new company would hope that those pains are small, they certainly don't want them reflected in their customer service. However, from the founders on down, customer support is one of the highest priorities. The golf industry is hard enough to succeed in without creating your own negative company image. This company is literally working around the clock to get the device to market. While there has been a bump in the initial release date, it was felt that was better than sending out units that were not ready for market.

Regardless, we are working diligently to respond to all phone calls and emails received. The email that went out announcing the change in shipping dates did unfortunately have a bad telephone number. The "spell checker" didn't catch the wrong number, and in this case, neither did the human beings involved.

So while there may have been some missed emails and perhaps some miscommunications on phone calls, I can guarantee that we are doing everything we can to respond to requests and inquiries about the product and provide customers with assistance regarding their orders. While we do not have access to the sales/order system, we can certainly assist in getting information to the sales department.

Here is our contact information. We look forward to providing you with outstanding service. For those individuals on this thread who have had a less-than-satisfactory experience, I encourage you to contact us. We certainly will be happy to rectify that if possible.

The expected ship date is May 19th.

email: [email protected]

Direct link to our Course Search: http://coursefinder.uprogps.com/

Customer Support Toll Free phone: 888-358-5788

uPlay Toll Free Phone: 888-850-0950, Support is option 3

Well...I'm in the market for my first GPS unit. I always thought these things were just another gadget for golfers to spend more money on. Oh, was I wrong.

My only on course experience with any GPS unit was the SkyCaddie SG4. I viewed the uPro on a driving range and was able to view the first hole in Pro and Basic modes. I recently played with a friend a few weeks ago, SG4, and was amazed with the ease of use for these units. It helped the pace of play, etc.

The uPro was a very nice device. Very easy to use. The Pro mode fly over was a great feature. The only major drawback was the screen was VERY difficult to view in the sun. You need the shade of a golf cart or your hand. Not sure if this is a common feature with GPS units because the day we played with the SG4, it was cloudy. I need to ask my friend who owned the SG4 if he has problems or someone else here my enlighten me on this subject. The video picture quality was nice but not great. We need to be realistic here because they haven't created the technology for high quality video at that size yet. The unit I saw also had some wear on it. The unit did not seem very durable based upon the amount of scratches on the edges and paint. It may be the fact it was a unit many people handle or durability. In my opinion, it was durability because of a non-durable finish and plastic edges.

The Basic mode of the uPro was similar to SkyCaddie and probably all other units as well.

Summary...I was not impressed with this unit because of durability, picture quality in Pro mode and screen viewing in the sun. My experience with GPS units is minimal and I may run in to these problems elsewhere or I may not. I do believe these units should be very durable at the prices they are asking for them. I guess this limits my choices however I want something I do not have to baby. I want to use it.

Michael

Dear Customers,

Thank you for your purchase of the uPro golf GPS device. We regret to inform you that we

will be delaying all shipments of the uPro to June 2. We were scheduled to begin shipping

on May 19th and have made every preparation to do just that. The issues that previously

delayed launch have been resolved. In fact, the GPS software on the device is very solid and

delivers the full suite of features that makes the device so unique.

Unfortunately, we have encountered a couple of issues that we felt were critical to resolve

prior to shipment. We take the care and support of our customers very seriously and are

making sure that the product is the best in the market.

We understand the excitement and anticipation of using the uPro and how much it helps

your game on and off the course. We apologize for the delays and will be discounting your

uPro device by $40 upon shipment. This offer is only valid for those order that were

received prior to May 14th through our website or over the phone. We are not offering this

discount to any future orders. The demand for the uPro is quite high and we are currently

back-ordered but we wanted to provide this discount to thank you for your patience.

We appreciate your business, and if you have any questions about your order or

to change your order please feel free to contact us at or 888-358-5788.

Sincerely,

Joseph Balardeta

President

hmmmmm. I guess its time to check out other devices. ;)

Well if you are in customer service, better get hold of "Candice" and tell her to get out of the "meeting", and back into the office and cancel the bloomin' order. People calling for refunds for an unreleased product are like the people showing up at the banks asking for their money in October, 1929. If you want to see a crash before you get off the ground, let the doubt about the validity of your product linger. Today's golfers are internet savvy, and no matter how impressive your website, now matter how you've "made the cover" of Golfweek (B.S.)- we'll fry you with Sunday's chicken if there is a whiff of impropriety.

(The implication of being fried with Sunday's chicken refers to an old Southern custom of eating freshly fried chicken on Sunday- while frying the chicken for Sunday's dinner, it's an opportunity to throw "scrap" meat in with the chicken so those scraps may be fed to the dogs, so it won't be wasted- understand?)

No, I don't understand. It's not like they are the only company to extend a release date. How about MSoft, Apple, etc.

The Guru was 2 months overdue on their software release and it is the most awkward way to modify a course.

How about just throwing out a product that's not ready. Can you imagine the relations nightmare that would cause?

No, I don't understand. It's not like they are the only company to extend a release date. How about MSoft, Apple, etc.

The Guru was 2 months overdue on their software release and it is the most awkward way to modify a course.

How about just throwing out a product that's not ready. Can you imagine the relations nightmare that would cause?

How many $400 pieces of software have you pre-ordered? lol. the guru comes to your door in less than a week of ordering - the updated features are a bonus (and free btw). the unit works fine w/o the new features. throwing out a buggy product obviously wouldn't help but the current situation isn't what they wanted either. i hope they haven't charged your credit cards already (though I assume they have). that's where i would have the problem. for $400 bucks you'd hope your first response from the company wouldn't be on a message board. i'm not saying the uPro sux. i've never seen one. it could be the greatest gps unit to date and totally worth it. but... you just naturally expect a bit more when it's one of the highest priced units. i think they got ahead of themselves in the marketing and the early adopters are suffering for it. again, it could be a killer product but i'd hate to go through the process of delays for something i'd already paid for. if they can't properly respond to customers who don't even have a unit yet they're really going to have to ramp it up once it's released to keep up. hopefully it works out for you all.