2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Wasting My Life - Why I'm Breaking Up With the Golf Ball Forum

ScooterMcTavish

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1369172855' post='7079750']
After golf season has returned to the Great White North, I decided to go into the legendary GolfWRX to see what people are saying about this year's crop of golf balls. Urethane Nike this. Srixon Z-something that. Golf Digest spin charts (that's the money shot, baby). Whats hot, and is guaranteed to shave strokes off my game. Then it occurred to me, I'm wasting my life in this forum.

And no, I don't mean that in a judgemental way. See, it's not about you. This forum, you guys, you're all great.

It's about me.

See, I have no concept of what golf ball I should play other than:
- It is on sale
- It is not on sale but I really like it

And looking back over the past five years, I can think of only two dozen balls I've bought in category two (1 doz Srixon AD333, and 1 doz e5). Everything else I've bought because:

a) I want to show how clever I am by buying some cheapie 2-piece at Dick's, then rave about how good it actually is (see my threads on the Slazenger Raw Distance Feel and Maxfli Revolution Spin). Are the balls fine? Yep. Are they two-piece cheapies. Yep.

b) Due to stupid luck, I stumble across a ball that is good for me (ON SALE) and have to share how great it is with everyone, especially as I got it for a great price (countless threads on Zip, Gamer, Maxfli C3, Cally Hex Black, Tx4, FG Tour, etc., etc., etc.). Would I ever buy these balls at full price? Yeah. Right.

c) Enjoy playing a tour ball because I love the spin, and the prestige it affords me on the tee. Can I suck back a 7i 15'? Cha, sure, when pigs grow wings. I am not that good. See the hdcp in my sig. Does it help around the green? For a type A personality (like me) who is aggressive, yes. And we all love telling others what ball we're playing with on the first tee and showing them to each other (enjoy the double entendre). "What you playing?" "ProVx, how about you?" "Ah, Z-Star X, how about Bill?" "Mumble, mumble, Pinnacle". Don't deny it! If you're in this forum because you're:
- Cheap and looking for the best value to performance ball, or
- A ball snob. Don't deny it.

So I go to the garage to see what I've bought over the winter. Pretty lean year, only two dozen Penta TP3s (bought on freaking boxing day at $20/doz! I don't even like TM!). Then I'm in the store the other day, and they're blowing out BB HX Diablo's for $13/doz. Wow, always wanted to try these....

!!!!WHAT!!!!!

OK, let's go from a three-piece urethane ball to a two-piece surlyn ball that don't even look that similar! Then use a POS Dick's Revolution "Feel" just to cap it off.

And would I ever pay $20-25 for another dozen of the Diablos? NO!

Or $35-40 for another dozen of the Penta TP3 (quite the ironic name BTW TM)? NO!

So really, me being on this forum expounding about how "great" a ball is, or the "value" it provides, or "matching the right ball to your game" is all a load of crapola. Really, when it comes down to it:

- I like tour balls cuz they spin nice, and I look successful.
- I only buy tour balls at "fire sale, the-boss-has-gone-crazy, the darn thing is discontinued so you'll never find them again" pricing
- I buy mid tier balls at low-end prices, sometimes.....see line above
- The bargain balls I buy are cheaper than a bucket of balls at the range! For goodness sake, I bought 4 doz Slazzys for like $20 or something stupid like that.

So sorry golf ball forum, we're through. I can't settle down, and wouldn't even do so if you were perfect. Because, although I may like what I see on my tee, what I see on the other guy's tee looks even better.

Especially if it's on sale.
[/quote]

i freaking love this

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAHHAH

I started golf a year ago. I had a 250mph swing, knew I was going to be a natural at golf, so i immediately bought 11 dozen Srixon Z star XV golf balls in tour yellow. They were a steal at $20 a box, and I knew I would play golf every weekend, so it made a lot of sense.

Well, most of those boxes are still untouched. Ended giving away a couple to various people as birthday presents, etc.

I play golf once or twice a month usually, and only on a 9 hole par 3 course (recently played my first 18 hole course, and will hopefully play more soon, but it's mainly par 3 9 hole courses for me).

Oh year, and along the way, everytime I saw a great deal on knet or lgb, id have to buy them in case it was my only chance to get those balls on sale. Have about 3 dozen noodles, 3 dozen pro v1s (never hit one yet, i dont deserve to), about 20 dozen of various used srixons. Those are all used.

Also bought 9 boxes of FG tours for $10-$15 each new. The only purchase that was not completely stupid of me.

Yea, I dont swing 250mph. I love the FGtours and hardly use the z star XV. I have lost several cheaper srixons used, but i have too many golf balls.

Havent bought any since the fg tours in the fall last year. Thank heaven. Nevertheless, i have more than enough golf balls to last me several years.

Did i mention i bought 7 boxes of lady precept iqs for my wife? Also, that I definitely did not have enough money for all these purchases?

Positive note - I will not likely ever run out of golf balls, I dont feel bad when i lose a dozen in a day, and i have plenty of presents for golf buddies in the next couple of years.

It makes me cringe when i think of how much money i have wasted on golf balls. Luckily, as much as i wanted to buy new sets of irons, i am on my original set that was a gift from a friend. They were 15 year old clubs that he had long stopped using.

Thankfully, i am wise enough now to know that my clubs and balls are much better than i need.

Yet, i still check the ball forums regularly. I dont think i will buy any more unless i see more fg tours for $10

But yikes. I had a horrible problem.

I'm sure a psychologist could tell us what defect we are compensating for by all this ho-ing. I think it is some kind of way of distracting ourselves from the realities of golf. It's more fun to try new equipment than to actually play golf, it seems.

I enjoy using a ball that feels right to me. But I am quite sure I would shoot the same scores in pretty much the same way with any ball. I normally shoot low to mid 80s. My personal best was a 72 and although I'm not positive, I'm pretty sure it was with a Pinnacle Gold Distance.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I approach golf balls like I approach fishing lures. Start with the orange one. Double bogey on first two hole. Ok, throw down the yellow one. Par bogey par double double. Uh oh, yellow is losing its mojo. Go with white. Par double double. Getting desperate. Approaching triple digit score. Not acceptable. Ok golf gods, fine. You win. I finally throw down the pink ball.

Cobra Fly Z+
Bridgestone J33 3W, 5W Aldila NV 65
Wilson Staff D9 4-PW, TT Dynamic Gold R300

Wilson Harmonized 52*, 56*, 60*
Wilson Staff 8882

Good stuff!

When I can I go to places that sell 'em by the sleeve and try a different ball that way

I've bought several dozen and after 1 round I knew I didn't care for the ball...My pro shop will sell the other 3 sleeves and I usually break even.

And I always keep a stash of Pro V1's but NEVER pay full price.

Best Pro V1 deals:
Carl's Golfland during the 4 or 3 personalized deal...
Logo overruns
Pro V1 Practice

Driver--Ping i20, 3 wood--Ping G25
Hybrids--G25
Irons--Taylormade Burner Graphite Shafts
Wedges--Taylormade Burner 2.0 Steel
Putter--Original Odyssey #5 WhiteHot
Ball--Original Chrome Soft

It took me reaching my 40th birthday last month to realize a few things in regards to golf balls after 25 years of playing golf:

I can hit any ball regardless of price, brand, feel, or color into the woods or water equally as well.
I can hit the shot of my life with any of these balls as well.
I learned how to play golf in the late 80's with Titleist DT90's and Maxfli DDH, so I don't have a problem adjusting my game to a surlyn cover. Balata balls were too expensive for a teenager.
Since I do not have a sponsorship (i.e. free ball supply), paying almost $50/dozen just to get some high RPMs on a half wedge is kinda crazy when I really thought about it.
So, I play the white e6 until the end of July.
At that point, I switch over to the 330RX to get a little extra spin for the rock hard greens for the next 6 weeks. I switch back to the e6 on Labor Day.
BUT I buy the 330RX 1 sleeve at a time, so that I am not sitting on high-priced dozens in the winter.
I buy the e6 by the dozen since it is my ball the majority of the time.
My scores/handicap have not suffered in the least, so this works for me.

UNTIL I SEE A BUY ONE GET ONE FREE FOR SOME TAYLORMADE URETHANES ON BLACK FRIDAY. THEN ALL BETS ARE OFF! AND I DON'T EVEN LIKE TAYLORMADE GOLF BALLS, BUT I'LL STILL BUY THEM AND SELL THEM AT A LOSS TO A BUDDY LATER IN THE YEAR!

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1369172855' post='7079750']
After golf season has returned to the Great White North, I decided to go into the legendary GolfWRX to see what people are saying about this year's crop of golf balls. Urethane Nike this. Srixon Z-something that. Golf Digest spin charts (that's the money shot, baby). Whats hot, and is guaranteed to shave strokes off my game. Then it occurred to me, I'm wasting my life in this forum.

And no, I don't mean that in a judgemental way. See, it's not about you. This forum, you guys, you're all great.

It's about me.

See, I have no concept of what golf ball I should play other than:
- It is on sale
- It is not on sale but I really like it

And looking back over the past five years, I can think of only two dozen balls I've bought in category two (1 doz Srixon AD333, and 1 doz e5). Everything else I've bought because:

a) I want to show how clever I am by buying some cheapie 2-piece at Dick's, then rave about how good it actually is (see my threads on the Slazenger Raw Distance Feel and Maxfli Revolution Spin). Are the balls fine? Yep. Are they two-piece cheapies. Yep.

b) Due to stupid luck, I stumble across a ball that is good for me (ON SALE) and have to share how great it is with everyone, especially as I got it for a great price (countless threads on Zip, Gamer, Maxfli C3, Cally Hex Black, Tx4, FG Tour, etc., etc., etc.). Would I ever buy these balls at full price? Yeah. Right.

c) Enjoy playing a tour ball because I love the spin, and the prestige it affords me on the tee. Can I suck back a 7i 15'? Cha, sure, when pigs grow wings. I am not that good. See the hdcp in my sig. Does it help around the green? For a type A personality (like me) who is aggressive, yes. And we all love telling others what ball we're playing with on the first tee and showing them to each other (enjoy the double entendre). "What you playing?" "ProVx, how about you?" "Ah, Z-Star X, how about Bill?" "Mumble, mumble, Pinnacle". Don't deny it! If you're in this forum because you're:
- Cheap and looking for the best value to performance ball, or
- A ball snob. Don't deny it.

So I go to the garage to see what I've bought over the winter. Pretty lean year, only two dozen Penta TP3s (bought on freaking boxing day at $20/doz! I don't even like TM!). Then I'm in the store the other day, and they're blowing out BB HX Diablo's for $13/doz. Wow, always wanted to try these....

!!!!WHAT!!!!!

OK, let's go from a three-piece urethane ball to a two-piece surlyn ball that don't even look that similar! Then use a POS Dick's Revolution "Feel" just to cap it off.

And would I ever pay $20-25 for another dozen of the Diablos? NO!

Or $35-40 for another dozen of the Penta TP3 (quite the ironic name BTW TM)? NO!

So really, me being on this forum expounding about how "great" a ball is, or the "value" it provides, or "matching the right ball to your game" is all a load of crapola. Really, when it comes down to it:

- I like tour balls cuz they spin nice, and I look successful.
- I only buy tour balls at "fire sale, the-boss-has-gone-crazy, the darn thing is discontinued so you'll never find them again" pricing
- I buy mid tier balls at low-end prices, sometimes.....see line above
- The bargain balls I buy are cheaper than a bucket of balls at the range! For goodness sake, I bought 4 doz Slazzys for like $20 or something stupid like that.

So sorry golf ball forum, we're through. I can't settle down, and wouldn't even do so if you were perfect. Because, although I may like what I see on my tee, what I see on the other guy's tee looks even better.

Especially if it's on sale.
[/quote]

Your thinking is flawed. You need the forums to tell you what's on sale in the first place!

It's all good guys.

I've found my latest loves.

Remember those Titleist Surlyn X-Outs they sell at Wal-mart? Them things are chock full of Velocity (11 of 12 last box - 1 lone NXT). For $10. Second time I've shot my best score on the local 9 with it.

But a step up ball is the excellent Top Flite Gamer Tour - $35 for 2 dozen. Are they serious? This ball feels like the old TP Reds, just with a slightly higher trajectory. $17.50 for a quality urethane ball.

All good for this week anyways.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Hilarious posts on this forum!
I am a 20 handicapper (used to be a 10 until our twins were born--coincidence? I think not!) and, even though I can afford to buy premium balls, I did the Bridgestone ball fitting test online and it recommended the e5 for my modest swing speed and desired ball flight. I have been very happy with it for 3 years and have not felt much of a need to try any other ball. When I make a decent swing, I get good results. But when I don't, I don't. Out of sheer boredom and a tiny bit of ball ho' ing that reared its ugly head last week, I bought a box of 2013 300 RXS balls for $31 and played 9 holes alternating the two balls. I was not hitting the ball well enough to know whether I would benefit from playing the 330 RXS but I was definitely much more comfortable with the e5. I will test the RXS again sometime but I know that the e5 is all the ball I need for my skill level until I get back down to at least a 12 handicap. Spending more than $26/dozen for balls is not the best use of my money. Chipping lessons and more practice time are what I need the most.
In the interest of full disclosure, I am a serious golf apparel ho. I am hooked on Puma clothes (anything but the bright orange stuff and definitely not white pants). I am, however, a bargain hunter and won't pay more than $35 for a shirt or $30 for shorts.
Yours truly,
Just a Puma ho.

PING G400 MAX driver, 10.5*, Tour 65 shaft
PING K15 3 wood, TFC 149F shaft
PING G15 hybrid, 23*, TFC 149H shaft
PING G400 irons, 5-U, AWT 2.0 steel shafts
PING Eye 2 XG SW and LW, TFC 149I shaft
PING Zing 5 KS stainless steel putter

• 7 months later...

I suppose this is no place for me as I am the opposite of you guys. I have one ball that is my favorite and have never used one I liked better. Mind you I haven't played more than 2 rounds a year for about 5 years so finding said ball is difficult. I did however just get 2 dozen for 46$ total off of yebay. Brand new circa 2005. I regrettedly passed up an option about 9 months ago to buy 18 dozen for 150$ brand new. I should have done it as they are no longer made but I couldn't justify it with the third kid on the way. I am golfing tomorrow, I still don't know if I will break open one of those dozen as they are quite rare now.

I really wish I had the ability to accept a new ball into my life. Given the retail life cycle of most balls I think you should see it as a gift that you can so easily ho around.

This thread was such a good read that I didn't realize it was re-re-resurrected.

The only joy I get from Pro V1's and other $40 and up per box brands are watching my friends
pace alongside a water hazard for 10 minutes...

Here's a good one - Remember when you first started.. so you wrote your name on your golf balls.
After losing a bunch of them.. you switched to a mark or symbol..
That sense of panic when you looked in the used golf ball bin, hoping it wasn't filled with balls that had your name!

• 2 weeks later...