I hate people at my school

I get made fun of too sometimes but I don't realyy care, most of the time the guys are just joking. But there is a quote in an old magazine that I kept from what tiger has said.

"Oh, yeah. I always got made fun of. They'd say, 'Golf is a wussy sport...nonathletic...takes no skill to play.' I got teased a lot. The beauty of it is that I knew how difficult golf was. I knew that I had already found my passion. They may have critized me for whatever they perceived the sport to be, but I was playing something I loved. No one could take that away from me. They could make jokes, but in the end I was doing the thing I loved to do, and I wasn't sure they were doing the same."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get ragged on by my friends for playing golf too, but really does it matter that much? I would agree with them that golf is a non-sport in the way that you don't need to be in perfect physical shape to play at the top level (tim Herron anyone?), whereas in rugby or soccer you'd get found out 5 minutes into a game if you were unfit. Serioiusly, life's way too short to worry about what things like this

This reminds me of when I was in HS and this guy on the wrestling team was giving me a hard time about playing golf. I got sick of it and challenged him to come out one afternoon and try 9 holes.

You can imagine what happened next. On the first tee he swung mightily - many times - before finally advancing the ball about 30 yards. It was so pathetic that I actually started to feel sorry for him. He did manage to finish the first hole with about an 18 and just walked the next eight with a new found appreciation for the game.

Never again did he tease me about playing golf.

derailed,

Your classmates are simply picking on you. It's not about the golf.

True. I played golf in high school, but I was respected more so than made fun of because the golf team was a winning dynasty. State Champs in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2nd in 2001. None of the other teams could even sniff a State Title. Also, I was able to play other sports and I could be fairly vindictive if anyone attacked me

Hook up with the hottest chick in school and no one will care.

Also true. It hurts the guy making fun, who is banging the chick with the acne. And it's just not on her face.

Does your team wear white belts with big buckles? Maybe that's why they tease you...

There was a team we played against, that insisted on wearing rainbow colored shirts during tournaments and acting really gay with each other. It must have been some inside joke between them, but I don't know what drives kids to do that. They must have been pretty popular to begin with to pull that s***.

Hook up with the hottest chick in school and no one will care.

haha thats funny to me.

I live in Iowa and the last 6 or 7 years my school has been pretty good at golf so it's kind of a cool thing to do. Believe it or not of the approximately 160 boys in my school almost 30 are on the golf team (though most never get to play) which is almost double that of the kids that are in track which is at the same time. Plus we've been in the top 10 in the state in our class the last 2 years and all our other sports teams suck so they can't really say much.

Does your team wear white belts with big buckles? Maybe that's why they tease you...

There was a team we played against, that insisted on wearing rainbow colored shirts during tournaments and acting really gay with each other. It must have been some inside joke between them, but I don't know what drives kids to do that. They must have been pretty popular to begin with to pull that s***.

ahahahhaaha thats epic, one of my friends pulled that off for one round and kept hitting on the other team, but rainbow shirts is pretty hilarious

yea i get some crap at school for playing golf... sometimes theyll be like your not an athlete if your a golfer, all you have to do is swing a club. they obviously dont understand that we have to carry our bag, think about every shot and actually execute it... but im pretty close with the guys in my school and so they respect me for the sport that i play. (it also helps when you're able to show off your athleticism at gym and recess) but trying to get a girl makes it alot tougher. theyll ask you what sport do you play? and you respond golf, and instantly they think you're some dwork that wears white tube socks, and shorts that go past your belly button (no offense). but yea i get some laughing from the girls when i mention golf. not the easiest way to get the girls, but most of them go for the entire football team so what does it matter? you just gotta find one that respects you for that. not just that, in the end, golfers end up with the hottest wives anyway, just look at tw, luke donald, and david toms, just to name a few. lol but yea in the end, look who gets to pull early from school to travel to tournaments or go play a practice rounds. it also helps when your an overall cool guy cuz then they almost forget about that and respect you alot more. its always a sweet feelin when you get up in the middle of the day and tell the teacher i gotta leave for a practice round and all your friends get all jealous.... sorry, i had to rant a little also, knowing where derailed and a couple others of you come from.

Ok its rant time...

How many people get teased cus the play golf?

Like half the people at my school make fun of me for it, and most of them dont even play a sport.

A common question is " You play golf? Do you even need to work out for that? I mean you only walk how difficult can it be?"

Coming from the girl with the cheese burger hanging off her lip....yeah right.

Yeahh....in 100 degree heat and humidity like it is in houston, I doubt alot of these people would make it through all 18

When will people really realize that it takes alot to be a good golfer. Playing consistently well in rough conditions is far from easy in both physical and mental aspects. If you start letting your mind slip you lose all physical capabilities. You become out of control. I just wish people would start to realize that its all not what they make it out to be...the easiest sport out there. I guarantee it is 100 times harder to get a golf scholarship to a D1 school than it is to get a scholarship to a D1 school for baseball basketball football etc.

Sorry its just really been bugging me lately because I get it alot.

/rant.

Sorry but you are completely wrong. Have you ever seen a D1 college football player. It takes a lot more than talent to be able to get to play. You have to be lucky, blessed with either 4.2 speed or 6'2" 240 pound size. I agree that it is tough to get a D1 golf scholarship, but anybody can play college golf in general. I doubt that you could walk on to any college in the US and be able to play football. I have been playing golf since i was about 12, and i have a chance to play D1 or D2 golf. I have been playn football since i was 7, and i have no chance of makin a football team. Just step onto a college football practice field and you will earn a whole new respect for the game.

the fact that you even made those comments shows that you are doing the same thing that happened to you, you are pumping up your own sport and putting down the others. Sure i get made fun of for playing golf, but the fact that i am bigger and stronger than the people because i play football allows me to realize that i have nothing to worry about. Just shake it off, if the mental toughness that is required to play golf dosen't translate into everyday life, then in my opinion, the point of the game is lost.

I go to a small school, so most people have been shut up before, or (not meaning to brag AT ALL) as the school is private and wealthy, most have played before, or their fathers play in tounaments because of business.

But I would say the worst part is "who is the best on the team?" or "what did you shoot in yall's match yesterday?"

The first because we don't have an outstanding best, and the whole top 6 has equal ability. (not a big deal, the question just bothers me for some reason)

The hardest one for me is the one about what you shot the day before, because, obviously no-one can understand how hard it is to be consistant. But, on the other hand, its always nice to casually say "36" when they ask after a good match.

I only ever got made fun of because our team was new. It was founded when I was a freshman and was not an established sport at the school. It was also a very small town (1000 people) that most of which did not play golf. Just a lot of people with the wrong idea about the sport. People who think you have to be rich or very stuck up to play.

I got a little more respect from the people in my school bymaking varsity my freshman year, and some thought it was more impressive to excel in a skill that requires technique and finess rather than pure athletisism. But I'm also friends with most of the athletes in the school and I'm already in great physical condition, so people don't really try mess with me much.

PS: We tend to make fun of the lacross players the most though in my part of the state, so I'm safe anyways.

i seen people golf in basketball shorts

Where I'm from, North Augusta SC right over the river from Augusta GA, golf is everything. I suppose I was lucky.

I have played with a kid who wore basketball shorts in a school match, he was reaally bad

not many pros play in basketball shorts

but it does my heart good to see people trying out golf :D

I wouldn't say it's 100 times harder than getting a basketball/baseball/football scholly. I played bball in college and it was pretty darn hard. Every sport is hard in its own ways. Basketball is more demanding physically while golf if more demanding mentally. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Just don't pay attention to the haters. I found that most people who make fun of golf have either never tried it, or tried it and were TERRIBLE at it.

Come on how hard can it be to play for Bradley???? :D

I too had it tough - lost all my hair at age 13, and most of my self-confidence with it. Life tends to throw the toughest challenges at the toughest people, although it is hard to feel tough when constantly under attack. Everyone feels insecure to some extent. The weak guys try to hide it by scoring hollow points off others, the tough guys just ignore it and get on with life. Ignoring people causes them great discomfort. Weak people can't handle discomfort so they quickly move on - seeking weaker targets to aggravate.

If you get ribbed about golf then either use silence as a weapon or perhaps, if your character is strong enough, tell your aggravators (with a very serious face) about how proud you are with your progress in ballet class and how your coach is seeking additional pupils. Perhaps ask them if it is OK to pass their names on to your coach so that they could have a home visit from him.

Your aggravators almost certainly have difficulties with their own identities and you can attack that weakness with seriousness, courtesy, and a smile. It all depends on how brave and wicked you feel.

As for pulling women - women are straighforward creatures to understand: They are initially attracted to a man by his wit, confidence and air of success. Constantly internally reflect on your successes and be proud of who you are and what you have achieved. Always carry a medium sized gherkin in your trouser pocket and when you notice an attractive lady eying it, casually remove it from your pocket and take a large bite. If she does not wet her panties laughing then maybe she is too serious for you. You need a girl with a big character who will boost your confidence.

Good luck.

the Viper

• 4 weeks later...

i play basketball and golf at my school. I can confidently say that basketball or football are way more physically demanding. You can get injured far more in these sports than you can in golf. Plus if you compare the body types of golfers to other athletes they are not even close. Our #1 at our school probably can't even do 20 pushups in a row. So i wouldn't go around starting things with them unless you can stand up for yourself. Seriously though, if you can't handle what other people think about you because you play golf you shouldn't play the game to begin with.