2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Yonex Demo Day

GolfWRX

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking forged offerings but the CB's are a cosmetic copy of the Callaway X Forged and the driver alignment aids look like a reversed version of the one on the Titleist 915.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

For the most part, a nice lineup from Yonex. Sadly, not seeing much innovation here like they had in their tennis racquets when I played in high school. They could have done a little more with the blades, but they would definitely be worth a couple swings before crossing them off the list. Did they say anything about US availability and pricing? I don't think I have seen a new Yonex club in a store for at least a decade.

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1421864543' post='10791589']
For the most part, a nice lineup from Yonex. Sadly, not seeing much innovation here like they had in their tennis racquets when I played in high school. They could have done a little more with the blades, but they would definitely be worth a couple swings before crossing them off the list. Did they say anything about US availability and pricing? I don't think I have seen a new Yonex club in a store for at least a decade.
[/quote]

As far a the blades go the TC stands for Titanium Core. Not exactly a bland design, just something you can't see.

[quote name='easylittle5wood' timestamp='1421881103' post='10793365']
[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1421864543' post='10791589']
[/quote]

As far a the blades go the TC stands for Titanium Core. Not exactly a bland design, just something you can't see.
[/quote]

Allow me to rephrase, the EXTERNAL design is rather bland. :)

They'll be available in March. We talked to the team there, including the R&D guys from Japan. They explained their thought process and why they're designed the way they are. Both the muscle backs and GI clubs work extremely well, but the NC irons feel absolutely fantastic. They are absolutely worth a serious look. The putter they designed is unreal.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='Jaws2525' timestamp='1421886729' post='10793881']Those blades aren't even paper thin.[/quote]
And they didn't want them to be.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1421864543' post='10791589']For the most part, a nice lineup from Yonex. Sadly, not seeing much innovation here like they had in their tennis racquets when I played in high school. They could have done a little more with the blades, but they would definitely be worth a couple swings before crossing them off the list. Did they say anything about US availability and pricing? I don't think I have seen a new Yonex club in a store for at least a decade.[/quote]
They admitted that they lost their way be resting on their previous reputation. They're catching up because they stood still. I was pretty impressed with them because they took the time to explain it all and I came away very impressed.

I gotta say that the sole of the Tri-G drivers and fairways looks really outdated and retro. BUT, hot diggity dog, they look really good from the top - footprint and face shape. The blade and CB look good; any info on the insert in the cut cavity?

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1421936204' post='10796761']
They'll be available in March. We talked to the team there, including the R&D guys from Japan. They explained their thought process and why they're designed the way they are. Both the muscle backs and GI clubs work extremely well, but the NC irons feel absolutely fantastic. They are absolutely worth a serious look. The putter they designed is unreal.
[/quote]

Very underrated outside of Japan. Any info on the putter?

Has Yonex ever put out an ugly club?

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='easylittle5wood' timestamp='1421939248' post='10797037'][quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1421936204' post='10796761']
[/quote]

Very underrated outside of Japan. Any info on the putter?[/quote]
Yes. It's big. Pretty big, almost a half block of metal with a ball shaped scoop that works. It has white alignment lines as well. It's 350g and performs like a counterbalanced putter without being one. What it may lack in looks, it makes up for in performance. It's surprisingly soft and rolls true. Very little skidding action.

[quote name='BENNYSUPREME' timestamp='1421948151' post='10797879']Has Yonex ever put out an ugly club?[/quote]
No, but you don't have to be fancy. The last year's GI was a little suspect though.

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1421938543' post='10796967']
I gotta say that the sole of the Tri-G drivers and fairways looks really outdated and retro. BUT, hot diggity dog, they look really good from the top - footprint and face shape. The blade and CB look good; any info on the insert in the cut cavity?
[/quote]
Puppet, they were going for the plain but something that worked instead of focusing simply on aesthetics. Retro was the word you used and that's spot on. The insert is filled with graphite. It helps soak up vibration and improve feel. And they do.

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1421985244' post='10801537']
[/quote]
Puppet, they were going for the plain but something that worked instead of focusing simply on aesthetics. Retro was the word you used and that's spot on. The insert is filled with graphite. It helps soak up vibration and improve feel. And they do.
[/quote]

The weights were place equidistant to the hosel in order to keep feel the same regardless of the weight setup. They said they might also sell weight kits since the standard in the driver is 12-2-2.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

[quote name='Konklifer' timestamp='1421860556' post='10791131']
Nice looking forged offerings but the CB's are a cosmetic copy of the Callaway X Forged and the driver alignment aids look like a reversed version of the one on the Titleist 915.
[/quote]

Actually Titleist's 915 looks like the Yonex i-EZONE 460 and EZONE XP, which were both released in 2012...

Artisan Golf 0418

[/quote]
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Those woods seriously look good. I said previously that the Srixon woods were my favorite of the new releases, but these make it awfully close now. If only I could afford them...

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1422017885' post='10802639']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Those woods seriously look good. I said previously that the Srixon woods were my favorite of the new releases, but these make it awfully close now. If only I could afford them...
[/quote]

There's also a 12.5* version which I got to hit at the show--it was awesome.

Artisan Golf 0418

[quote name='AUDuffer' timestamp='1422018925' post='10802707']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How do they feel? Still pretty muted like past models?

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1422019058' post='10802719']
[quote name='AUDuffer' timestamp='1422018925' post='10802707']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How do they feel? Still pretty muted like past models?
[/quote]
Muted. A touch louder. But OMG. They fire off the face. Literally just as you realize the ball had been hit, it was long gone. Very hot off the face. For availability, PM me and AUDuffer. We can get you hooked up. Seriously.