"The Short Game" Show on Esquire

Maddog10

Good morning Gents. I've been seeing previews for this new tv show on Esquire network called "The Short Game" which basically follows around parents and kids who are talented and aspiring to make a career playing golf. The entire season is available on their website, and I watched the first episode last night. It's a pretty neat show if you haven't seen it. It may get old as the season goes along, but I enjoyed watching the kids play and seeing that side of the sport. It became obvious very quickly that some of the parents are very hard on their kids, and some of the kids are just very hard on themselves. On the other hand, some enjoy being on the course with their dad and are glad to be there. It was a pretty neat take on the youth of the sport. As an expecting father of a little girl, I love the idea of caddying for my daughter one day, but this show also shed some light on the difficulties that could arise from taking the wrong approach with it.

Sorry if this has been posted before. I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but I could have missed it. Just wondering if anyone else has seen the show, and what your thoughts are on it? I'm only one episode in but I've liked it so far.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched episodes 1-6 through OnDemand (Comcast), and after you met all the kids/parents, not much happened after that. I'm hoping that the last 4 episodes get more interesting.

The kids all seem normal, but the parents are the weirdos. Everyone thinks they are raising a Tiger, Annika or Lydia. They're going to crap their drawers when they realize that their kid isn't interested in the game anymore or burns out early - especially after they spent all that ca$h and time.

I guess it's like any other reality show, where they edit it to frustrate the viewers so that we keep watching, but it's not working for me.

[quote name='dbleag' timestamp='1419879342' post='10656023']
I've watched episodes 1-6 through OnDemand (Comcast), and after you met all the kids/parents, not much happened after that. I'm hoping that the last 4 episodes get more interesting.

The kids all seem normal, but the parents are the weirdos. Everyone thinks they are raising a Tiger, Annika or Lydia. They're going to crap their drawers when they realize that their kid isn't interested in the game anymore or burns out early - especially after they spent all that ca$h and time.

I guess it's like any other reality show, where they edit it to frustrate the viewers so that we keep watching, but it's not working for me.
[/quote]

I can see what you mean. I'm four episodes in and the new is starting to wear off a bit I think.

[quote name='tocino' timestamp='1419952709' post='10659957']
I watched the first episode and the only kid/parent that seem to be doing it "right" are Chloe and her dad. I don't like being that hard on your kid at age 8. I would want my kid to have fun first, compete second otherwise you're going to burn them out for sure
[/quote]

This.

The whole show was bizarre to me and I'm a new dad who wants to get his kid involved in the game early through The First Tee or something similar, but Bryce's dad....are you serious? The kid is so young. Guy's obviously living his fantasies out vicariously and then the dad from Miami with the 2 little girls is a joke. Especially when compared to Chloe's dad who was super chill and you see who won and who had fun......

My dad pushed me to be great at baseball and would never turn down any of my requests to go practice, but he would never belittle me in front of my friends. He pointed out when I did something poorly, but it was usually in private on the way home from the game when it was just the 2 of us. I'd have been pissed if he did it in front of my friends like that guy did on the green.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1419954696' post='10660117']
I watched the first episode and the only kid/parent that seem to be doing it "right" are Chloe and her dad. I don't like being that hard on your kid at age 8. I would want my kid to have fun first, compete second otherwise you're going to burn them out for sure
[/quote]

This.

The whole show was bizarre to me and I'm a new dad who wants to get his kid involved in the game early through The First Tee or something similar, but Bryce's dad....are you serious? The kid is so young. Guy's obviously living his fantasies out vicariously and then the dad from Miami with the 2 little girls is a joke. Especially when compared to Chloe's dad who was super chill and you see who won and who had fun......

My dad pushed me to be great at baseball and would never turn down any of my requests to go practice, but he would never belittle me in front of my friends. He pointed out when I did something poorly, but it was usually in private on the way home from the game when it was just the 2 of us. I'd have been pissed if he did it in front of my friends like that guy did on the green.
[/quote]

Chloe's dad seems to have the best grasp on things from what I've seen so far. He coaches her when she can be coached, and lets her do her own thing when she wants. He does get frustrated in one of the next few episodes though because she cries for like 5 straight holes, and I don't really blame him for that. Some of these dads are just insane though IMO. Awesome's dad (who names their kids Awesome and Amazing first of all?) uses the F-word to his son in everyday language, as in "You better make this fu**ing putt." Are you kidding me? If my child was even playing in the same group and had to listen to that language I think I would feel obligated to say something. It's interesting to see how each parent handles it, and maybe even helps me get a better feel about how I want to handle things with my daughter.

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1419954696' post='10660117']
[/quote]

This.

[/quote Is it me or is Bryces dad Steve Spurrier. !5 years from now the only 2 you will see on TV are Avery and Chole

Is it bad I wish I could release the club and follow through like these 7 year olds? My hold it off and fade finish has got nothin on these little dudes and dudettes.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

I just finished the season and the last few episodes were dedicated to the championship at Pinehurst. Max, Chloe and Avery were the ones I rooted for as they had the best attitudes and best dads. Bryant's attitude was the worst. Crying after every shot and blaming his dad for everything. Pathetic.

**WITB** **Driver**: Titleist TS2 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Elite Orange S **3 Wood**: Adams Idea XTD 15* Super S Hybrid w/ Fubuki AX350 S **Utility**: Titleist 818H2 19* and 23* w/ Fujikura Motore TS HB 8.8 **5-PW**: Titleist AP3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lites **WEDGES**: Titleist Vokey SM7 52* and 56* **PUTTER**: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 w/ Superstroke

[/quote]

I watched the first episode and it was hard to watch. I agree that Chloe's dad seems to have the right idea. Bryce's dad is an embarrassment.

TBD

Callaway XHot 4 Wood

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 23

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 26

Mizuno Comp EZ 5-PW

Vokey Satin 50
Vokey Satin 58

Kingston KP1 custom stamped
ProV1x/KSig

One of the pro's I work with and his son were in a few clips of one of the episodes because his playing partner was featured on the show. Kinda cool.

WITB 2015:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha, -1 D setting, Speeder 565 S
3WD: Cobra Biocell+ 12.5 degrees, Matrix Black tie
2HY: Cobra Biocell, 16.5D setting, Stock shaft
4/5i: Cobra Biocell, True Temper s+ shaft
6-PW: Biocell+, Dynamic Gold S200
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

I have never seen the movie but watched the series. Hate to say I was amazed since I have seen parents like this fairly often but I was amazed at how young the kids were that were being treated like this. My dad was never rough on me like these kids' parents but he always told me what i could do better and that drove me a little crazy.

I thought Max's and Chloe's dad had it right with how they handlede their kids. Avery's dad was good until I heard him tell his daughter she deserved to lose a tournamnet because she had played bad or something and she lost on the 1st playoff hole. I honestly thought "who says that to a 7-8 year old kid". Awesome's dad and I would have words if he cussed like that where my kid could hear. Morgan's dad was not wonderful but I did like how he tried to come up with an idea to get her more positive. Bryan was awful with all the crying. His dad I thought was goofy, if your kid is fighting you to hit a certain shot its ok to let him hit what he wants. And did he really have to run all around the property just to watch his kid play one 9 hole event?? I get wanting to watch your kid but its ok to let him go once ina while.

I have coached high school golf for 9 years and been around jr golf longer than that. What I have learned is that a parent has to be positive. Negativity will kill you in golf and the kid will be playing to make the parent happy insteda of playing for the competition and fun of the sport.. I love th e parents that can tell their kid "its ok" "way to keep grinding" "we will get it figured out" instead of "thats wrong" "thats awful" "what were you thinking".

• 3 weeks later...

Man I just saw the first episode. This show is a great example of how to get your kid to quit any sport especially one as hard as golf. i mean Chloe's dad is the only one who gets it. I gotta wonder what he is thinking seeing these other crazy dads all around.

I am courious how many of these dads can actually break 80.

I don't think any of the dads would put up with anyone on the course yelling at them like they are at their kids. I mean you don't see any pga tour caddies yelling at their played telling them they suck or anything like that, why would they think that an 8 year old should have to deal with that?

[quote name='cbbaron' timestamp='1419971940' post='10661577']
Love to see them revisit these kids either five or ten years from now A Where are they now show
[/quote]

My guess is most of them will have quit golf once they got to the age where they could stand up to their dads and they couldn't force them to do anything anymore

Having watched 4 episodes now, I've concluded that the tv show failed to follow the template that the documentary set: get the audience hooked on the kids first, then roundout the story with the parents (and make sure to balance the ratio of good parents and bad parents). The best part of the documentary was the one-on-one interviews with the kids because of their precocious personalities. With the tv show, I can't remember a single interview with any of the kids. All we get from them is their tears as their dads berate them for acting like kids instead of golf pros. The show has none of the warmth the documentary which is one of my favorites. Sad.

Haven't seen the show, but from reading the above, am I reading correctly that someone named their kids "Awesome" and "Amazing"?

Sounds like parents that are so unhappy with their lives that they are trying to force their kids into success and in the process are probably causing them to be destined for failure.

Every day something else chips away at my faith in humanity.

Just went on to Esquire's website and watched the promo vid on the show's home page. That dude telling his son "that was a dumb shot!"?? Why would he ever have to/want to talk to his son like that. Crazy... Imma check out some of the episodes later when I get home.
[url="http://tv.esquire.com/videos/71651-the-short-game-tuesdays-109c"]http://tv.esquire.co...e-tuesdays-109c[/url]

Really enjoyed the documentary "The Short Game" though. Available on Netflix I believe.

The unwashed masses seem to enjoy social dysfunction and family drama. I cannot stomach it personally.

I have two kids just starting tournament play.
An 11 year old boy who can really play and his sister who is 9 has a really pretty swing and tries but she is kinda busy being a nine year old little girl. They caddie for each other. I help keep them focused on their practice when they practice but I don't touch their swings and I don't caddie.
They have a blast, I keep my pie hole shut and enjoy the hell out of watching it.
I coach football, soccer and basketball for all three kids and the parents can be horrendous.
Golf for them is fun and I aim to keep it that way.
After seeing the movie my son told me he understands now why I wont caddie for him. To be honest, his little sis probably knows his game better anyway... and its pretty fun just being a spectator for once instead of coach.
I will not watch the series.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, so there's two different "Short game" shows? I'm catching the shows on-demand, which are on Esquire. I watched the first 3, and I can't take it anymore. Every parent but Chloe's needs a slap upside the head.

I wonder how out of sorts these parents are compared to the average parent's of the other kids they're competing against.

[color=#800080]In the first episode they showed future highlights ands some black guy threatened his kid with 50 mountain climbs (?) if he did it wrong , then made him do them. Yea , that teaches kids how to be good golfers... These seem likes wash out parents who want their glory through their kids ands were pathetic enoughs to take it on television. I am never a fan of shows that feature kids usually , like those dumb pageant shows.[/color]

[color=#800080]Parents shoulds support them , nots be a drill sergeant like these idiots are. They shoulds let others help them on their golf games. I love how he tells the girl he hit likes a little baby. She is pratically a baby.[/color]

[color=#800080]I wonder if some of this coulds be considered verbal abuse. It is almost ridiculous to berate a kid after every shot. The parent of Chloe *gets* it. That Chloe girl rooted more for that Morgan thans her father did. So pathetic , i woulds tell that guy to stuff it right up his a**. [/color]

[color=#800080]Some of those other parents look ashamed to be arounds these guys. Any peoples outs there know if Kids golf really is likes this , or is this made up for the fake drama. Some of them are giving likes ten swing instructions before each shot. No wonder they cannots focus or have fun.[/color]