Titleist NXT Tour vs Taylor Made TP LDP Black

Godfather

2008 models compared
Before giving my review, I should mention that I was playing my back up set of Callaway X-tour irons and was trying out a Ping G10 (stock stiff). My driver swing during this cold and windy 9 was hit or miss as well.

Last year I played the ProV1 (or occasionally the 06 or 07 Nike One Platinum) and have been looking to switch to something cheaper - especially after reading the Golf Magazine ball review.

I really, really wanted to like the TP Black. Really. I did not. It's a high launch ball and the couple short iron shots I had with it proved it definitely gets up there and stops easily on the green. However, it just didn't feel like it stuck to the club very long. Hard to explain, but it didn't inspire confidence for me. The chipping in contrast to the full shots did not get up in the air as quickly. I tried the 2007 TP Red a week ago and I just didn't like its low launch height off my long irons as I'm low launch as it is. On the plus side for the TP Black, it seemed very durable. Hard to tell on distance exactly as I was using different clubs and the conditions were less than ideal.

I found the NXT Tour to be more desirable around the green - feeling softer and getting in the air easier than the TP Black. It had that heavy feeling like it was sticking to the club longer somehow or compressing more. I like that a lot! I noticed it with the ProV series with my driver, but with the NXT Tour it was more apparent in other clubs. The cover did take some minor shaving, but nothing too bad to pull the ball out of play. I did practice chip with both balls quite extensively before the round so that may have contributed to its wear.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the 2008 NXT Tour and will buy a few dozen and use them for the remainder of the year. Solid all around performer.

Srixon ZX5 9* driver: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Ping G410 2h, 3h, 4h: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Srixon ZX7 5-PW: Recoil 95 (HS + lead tape)
Titleist Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58: Recoil 110
Rife Cayman (+tungsten powder)
Srixon Z-Star Diamond

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play both balls.

NXT tour is my gamer and on special days like comp at a championship course or my birthday i'll play the tm tp black.

I agree that the NXT tour feels more controllable on a full swing but it's better around the greens?

I find the TM TP black to be one of the best balls i've ever hit from 60 yards and in find the NXT tour (or any non urethane balls for that matter) in no way comparable in terms on spin and control especially when the greens get fast.

Do you prefer chips and pitches to release a bit? I guess that is where differences in preference between us may lie.

But yeah, NXT tour is fantastic all round, and the only area it may give up a bit of performance to the tour balls is between 10-25 yards to the hole. Otherwise it's almost perfect in terms of distance, feel, control and flight.

If you do like the NXT Tour, do try the gamer or hot bite. You probably want to steer clear of the Burner TP, it feels very light and hot.

I agree that the NXT tour feels more controllable on a full swing but it's better around the greens?

I find the TM TP black to be one of the best balls i've ever hit from 60 yards and in find the NXT tour (or any non urethane balls for that matter) in no way comparable in terms on spin and control especially when the greens get fast.

Do you prefer chips and pitches to release a bit? I guess that is where differences in preference between us may lie.

But yeah, NXT tour is fantastic all round, and the only area it may give up a bit of performance to the tour balls is between 10-25 yards to the hole. Otherwise it's almost perfect in terms of distance, feel, control and flight.

Thanks for the feedback. I found they both stopped great with a 50 yard pitch. It was the short chipping of 5-20 yards where I preferred the NXT Tour. I'm not stopping the ball with tons of spin from that distance and I can't stand unpredictable spin. Perhaps the TP Black will get a little more spin from 15-40 yards, but I found I preferred the added height of the NXT Tour.

Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Wow. The new NXT Tour is a decent ball, but for my game anyway, it does not stand out in any way compared to the "Tour" balls. Comparing the NXT Tour to the TP Black LDP, the only possible advantage I could give the NXT Tour is that it feels a bit softer than the TP Black LDP off a wedge. And that makes zero difference to me. The TP Black LDP is longer off the tee, flies better in the wind, and spins much better around the green. The TP Black LDP plays much better off my irons. I have more control and get more consistent results with the TP Black LDP when chipping.

I would rather play (in no particular order) the TP Black LDP, TP Red LDP, One Black, One Platinum, Pro V1, Pro V1x, B330, and B330-s than the NXT Tour.

I actually prefer the e5+ and Maxfli Fire Tour/Burner TP balls over the NXT Tour too.

Scott

I agree with Sidewinder. The tm Black LDP is a superior ball in almost every way (in my opinion). It's more controllable, better in the wind, better for short game, longer.....can't believe there's even a comparison between the two balls...

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Tour Edge Exotics xcg7 4 wood
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 - 48,54,60
Toulon Garage - Austin

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). I like balls that feel like they compress and stick to the club on full shots and that get up in the air quickly with short chips (not pitches). I picked up some B330-S balls as well, so I'll give them a shot.

I wanted to like the TP more. I thought I would. I was surprised by the NXT Tour.

Srixon Z-Star Diamond

I like balls that feel like they compress and stick to the club on full shots and that get up in the air quickly with short chips (not pitches).

Getting up in the air quickly on chips is 99 percent technique.....the ball has just about nothing to do with that.

Scott

The ball absolutely matters. The same chip with different balls react very differently. Go get a TP red and an NXT Tour and chip around the green to see more exaggerated difference.

Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Godfather,

The reason the trajectory could be different, spin, has virtually no effect on short chips. On full shots and drives, high flying balls have more back spin than low flying balls.

I have played many different balls, and on short chips, the only difference I see is the amount of roll out. High spin balls roll out less.

Maybe you care to explain how the balls you hit ignore the laws of physics...

Scott

Godfather,

The reason the trajectory could be different, spin, has virtually no effect on short chips. On full shots and drives, high flying balls have more back spin than low flying balls.

I have played many different balls, and on short chips, the only difference I see is the amount of roll out. High spin balls roll out less.

Maybe you care to explain how the balls you hit ignore the laws of physics...

Scott

I hit the same exact shots back to back to back to back and some balls achieve higher height than others. The NXT Tour achieves higher height on short chips. The TP Red is low. Both shots hit identically. This is repeatable. It is the ball. This is nothing new. I have always avoided balls that come out lower.

Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Godfather,

I agree with you. Some balls react differently. In particular, they will react differently for each golfer's swing.

Sorry you've run into the Golfwrx.com blowhard, who is still posting his opinions as Gospel. I've wasted time on him myself.

The point remains, for your swing, you do notice a difference.

I play the NXT Tour also and like it very much - esp the <30 $ price. Now if they would get rid of those insipid John Cleese commercials. Plus if you position the ball just right, close your eyes, and use your imagination, you can pretend its a ProV1X until you hit it.

I haven't hit the 08 TM balls but I like their commercials better. Makes me want to give 'em a try this year.

Would a mid-cap's game really improve going from the NXT Tour to the 08 TM Red/Black or do you need to be a low/scratch guy ? Unfortunately, I don't get the opportunity to play with any true low cap guys.

Thanks.

I think a really good compromise ball between the TP Black and the NXT Tour is the TaylorMade Burner TP ball. It will be higher-flight-ed, and very long, but with more spin and softness around the green than the NXT Tour. Save some $$.

RBZ TP 9.5* RIP'd NV 65
TM R11s - 14* - RIP Alpha 70
TM Rescue '11 TP - RIP 85
Cleveland CG16 Tour - TT DG
Cleveland 588 Forged Wedges
Forged Yes "Callie f" Blade

I play them both, somewhat alternating them depending on the conditions and the hole. If there is a lot of trouble on a hole and distance off the tee and spin on full shots don't matter then I will use the NXT Tour. I don't feel as bad about losing a cheaper ball. LOL

If I am looking for distance off the tee, The black LDP gives me a good 10 yards or more. I have hit some of the longest drives of my life playing the Black LDP and I am approaching 61 years of age! I also find I can pretty much get "drop and stop" with the black LDPs down through the 7i and very acceptable roll out on full shots with longer clubs. Also, other have commented on how the TM LDP (Black or Red) seems to be more "forgiving" on mishits. I don't know how a ball can help but I get the sense that it does. I have hit some shots off the heel or toward the toe of the driver that didn't feel very solid but ended up close to where my solid shots end up.

The NXT does feel a little softer on all shots, including chipping and putting but the TM Black LDPs work just fine for me in all areas of the game.