Nippon N.S. Pro Shafts

850/950/1050

8 iron set (38.5" to 35").
By utilising a patented alloy, Nippon's N.S. Pro series of steel shafts offer exceptionally light weights more commonly associated with graphite, yet retain the consistent strength and performance benefits of steel.
The astonishing N.S. Pro 850GH is just 87 grams (R flex) and features a new Dual Step Design to create an ideal combination of ultralight weight and strength. Constant weight system delivers consistent feel throughout set.
Bend Point: Mid.
Flex RSSR(mph)* Trajectory Torque WT (Gr) Tip Dia. Butt Dia. Length
R 65-75 MID LO 87 UL .370" .600" 35-39.5"
S 75-85 MID LO 91 UL .370" .600" 35-39.5"

By utilising a patented alloy, Nippon's N.S. Pro series of steel shafts offer exceptionally light weights more commonly associated with graphite, yet retain the consistent strength and performance benefits of steel.
N.S. Pro 950GH provides exceptional power for golfers of most any ability, but especially well-suited for average players with smooth tempos.
R 65-75 MID LO 95 UL .370 .610" 35.5-40"
S 75-85 MID LO 98 UL .370" .610" 35.5-40"

N.S. Pro 1050GH leaves a little more heft in the shaft - yet still significantly lighter than traditional steel shafts - for harder hitting players seeking the benefits of a lightweight steel shaft. Constant weighted.
R 70-80 MID LO 106 UL .370 .600" 35"-40"
S 80-90 MID LO 110 LW .370" .600" 35"-40"

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to have the TT Black Gold fitted into my Taylormade R7 TP's, I'd tried them and liked the kick and weight....

I'd tried the Nippon 850 in reg and hated them, the shots just ballooned, too light... so I was sceptical about trying the 950 in stiff, but I went to a excellent club fitter in the UK, and he got me hitting several different shafts, and said alot of people re-shafting to Project X and Black Gold's had ended up changing because they found the PX too stiff and 'dead' and the Black Gold's only really good if they got them SST pured which was expensive..

Anyway, I spent ages hitting shots and kept going back to the Nippon NS Pro 950, the clubmaker measured the load I was putting on the shaft (low) 6iron swing speed (86mph) and has made up a fantastic set of irons, weighting the club and cutting the shaft to control the trajectory. I was very impressed and will post again once the 'honeymoon' period is over to see how they go after some serious pounding on the range and the course...

IMO - try these shafts as a good alternative to the DG lite/super lite... but make sure you go to a clubmaker because they can change the shaft to suit your required ball flight.. Also I was told the guy who was deeply involved in the Apollo shafts, now works on the Nippon NS Pro shafts.... gotta be a good thing, those Apollos were awesome

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I have exactly the same dilema,given up on px,looking at BG pured-till i read your post,also nippons range the 105 version which i believe are almost "flighted".I would be very interested to learn what your club maker has done to help take the "baloon" spin out of the picture, i hope to fit some in to Ping S58 heads,i eagerly await your responce regards Tom.

• 5 months later...

I am in the process of having 950 GH S hard stepped put in Mizuno MP-30 irons. I have hit this shaft in 5-6 different heads all with good results. What I think attracts me to the shaft is the overall lower weight, compared to DG S-300, allows me to swing with better balance.

The heads I hit were Miura 201, Miura blade, Mizuno MP-60, Mizuno MP-30, Titleist 775, KZG cavity back.

I will post when I get a chance to play them.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I picked up my MP-30's w/ the Nippon 950 GH Stiff installed. I had them built Stiff,hard stepped once, 1/4" over length ( mostly to get the swing weight I wanted), D-4 swing weight, 297 CPM on the 6 iron, Light weight multi compound grip (to get the swing weight) I did not want to have tip weights used.

I picked the clubs up and had about an 1.5 hr range work out using a lie board and grass alternating. Ended up.. 2 degrees up, standard lofts.

Yesterday I had the good fortune to play a nice track in Louisville, KY and test the new sticks out. The down side was, it was 40 degrees F and a constant 10-12 MPH wind and snow fluries..........But what the heck. The shafts provided a very nice feel, where I did not feel I was over swinging and not retaining good balance. The best way I can describe it is, the benifit of light weight that graphite offers, but the accuracy an stabiliy of steel. Ball flight was mid range and I was able to hit lower on punch shots. Full shots did not ballon even into the wind. I only got 9 holes in, but carded a 40 with a melt down 3 putt on 9.

So far I am very pleased

Bill

• 1 month later...

[quote name='CLNCONCPTS' post='848780' date='Jan 4 2008, 02:01 PM']I'm currently playing the nippon shot peening series.I have played the 1050's hardstep.

these shot peening shafts are awesome.Feels very close to the DG x100 that i normally play.This is on the blue label.The orange label ones feel more counter balance like rifles do.[/quote]

SO the orange don't feel like x100's? What is the trajectory like with the Orange and Blue? Do the orange feel noticeably lighter than the Blue? Are the peening series stepped or stepless? thx

[quote name='drew030303' post='848872' date='Jan 4 2008, 01:14 PM'][quote name='CLNCONCPTS' post='848780' date='Jan 4 2008, 02:01 PM']I'm currently playing the nippon shot peening series.I have played the 1050's hardstep.

these shot peening shafts are awesome.Feels very close to the DG x100 that i normally play.This is on the blue label.The orange label ones feel more counter balance like rifles do.[/quote]

SO the orange don't feel like x100's? What is the trajectory like with the Orange and Blue? Do the orange feel noticeably lighter than the Blue? Are the peening series stepped or stepless? thx
[/quote]
Stepped pattern.I didnt notice a weight difference,what i could feel was the balance point of the shafts.I like DG's balance point.Never could play rifles or project x's cause the feel counter balance.

Trajectory looked to be the same.It was just a feel thing for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After 25 years of playing forged blades, recently I made the jump to Game Improvement irons. I had heard about Nippon shafts for years, but never had played them. For a new backup set, I got a good deal on purchasing a 2008 set of Cobra FPs with stiff Nippon shafts. Here are my impressions: crisp, responsive, very good feel. With the DG S300s in my last set, I protected against a surprise hook and always fought some ballooning. I do not have either problem with the Nippons. I think the Cobra heads are pretty good, but paired with the Nippons, it is an easy set to play. Cobra made a good choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Stiff 1050 GH's and could not be happier

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I replaced my DG Sl r300 shaft of choice with the Nippon 950 gh Regular flex and could ot be happier. They ae the best shafts for a smooth tempo swinger like myself. I think you can never go wrong with Nippons. The R7 TP irons with these shafts are money.

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Golf Pride P Only Blue Star 

• 3 weeks later...

I have two sets with NS PRO shafts: a set of Miura forged TM 300's with 950's and a set of Srixon i-506 with 1150 Tours. Both sets are excellent but my gamers right now are the Srixons. Weight, control, trajectory is all fantastic. Gives it a good thump, elevates the ball but absolutely no ballooning. Have picked up a couple of yards, but most relevant is much better ball striking. Have not played a lot of rounds this year but have more round on or under HCP than over! That's not happened for a long time, since my junior days.

How good I rate them? Wouldn't hesitate to put NS PRO 1150 in any other heads in the future.

/Toby

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me about the difference between the 950 and the 1050? I'm looking at an S flex, maybe X. My swing speed is 107-113 with a driver, and I carry a 7 iron 160-165. I am presently playing DG S300 SensiCores.

I've been told to go with the 1050 by my club guy, but I can't seem to find them. The 950s are much easier to get, it would seem.

• 2 weeks later...

correction on myself. I have 1150 Tours lol i dont know how i missed that one

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

• 4 weeks later...

What would be a good comparrison to DG x100's???? I'd love to try a set of these...

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter:
Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver:
Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid:
Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid:
Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW:
Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW:
Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW:
Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips: 
Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

• 3 months later...
Cloudlx;

I am looking at the same configuration. Did you use 950 r's or s's? Is the flight significantly lower than the CS lites? My driver swing speed is 90, what is yours?

Thanks in advance..

Great question! I would also like to know too!

I am looking to play these in EZ/AR mix set. I am either going to do regular hardstepprd once, or stiff soft stepped once.

I am looking for a good light steel shaft like these. I want a mid-high launch. Looking for something slightly higher than PING AWT.

thanks

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

I've heard quite a bit about these shafts, and I recently got to try the 1080's to see if they lived up to all the hype. They completely do.

I got my hands on a Bridgestone GC Mid to demo against my current set and another set. Took them out to the range the other day to hit a good number of balls switching between all three sets. These shafts do launch just a little higher then most other steel shafts I've tired, but nothing to high for me. They are amazingly smooth though. This is something I did't really notice to much at first, but after I'd been hitting for about 45 minutes I could really feel the difference. I would definatly recommend these to anyone that isn't a high ball hitter. I could see where it might cause a slight problem if were a high ball hitter, but for he the added highth resulted in extra carry, without using the beefed up lofts of many modern iron sets.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Recently got a set of good ol' MP32, stuck the 1050GH stiff into them, flight is much higher but definitely not ballooning. I am officially jumping off the Project X bandwagon and on the Nippon's.

Thats great news. I have a set of Scratch TD irons coming w/ the Nippon 1050 stiff(hopefully soon).

I currently have PX HL 5.0 in my i10's. I like them but I'm really looking forward to the 1050 stiff. The PX HL are slightly to soft but do launch high, but not to high, unless into the wind.

Ryan

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Recently got a set of good ol' MP32, stuck the 1050GH stiff into them, flight is much higher but definitely not ballooning. I am officially jumping off the Project X bandwagon and on the Nippon's.

Thats great news. I have a set of Scratch TD irons coming w/ the Nippon 1050 stiff(hopefully soon).

I currently have PX HL 5.0 in my i10's. I like them but I'm really looking forward to the 1050 stiff. The PX HL are slightly to soft but do launch high, but not to high, unless into the wind.

Ryan

I think you're on the right track. If you find PX 5.0 a little soft, you'll like what the 1050GH stiff offers. FYI, I switched from PX 5.5 flighted. Have fun with your scratch irons, too bad they don't offer much for us lefties, but I do love the new 1018 wedges.