Nike One Platinum 2008

Sean2

Confused...please help...
Unlike a lot of you guys on the forum I don't have a particular high SS (85-90 mph). I'm a 10 HI (and dropping), and am 53 years old.

I found a NOP on the golf course and love how it performs from 100 yards in, but everything I've read states a golfer needs to have a SS of upwards of 100 mph to get any distance off the tee.

Anyone have any other information I might be unaware of this ball. Also, the NOP feels great off the putter.

I can't lose too much distance, but this ball is best I've found from around the green.

Any thought, ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a great ball around the greens. You can be very aggressive around the greens knowing it will bite every time. That being said, my SS is over 115 mph and for me there is no loss of distance off the driver or any other club. I think the Golf Digest article that showed the NOP being the shortest ball off driver was tested at around 90 mph even though it was tested as also being the softest of all golf balls.

the 2008 or 2007 NOP? The 2008 has red <> around the "one platinum" on the side..

I tried the 2007 and couldn't stand it.. club short, spun like mad off every club in the bag, and useless in the wind. The 2008 is a completely different animal.. still high spin off short irons and wedges and in the short game, but much lower off the driver and nearly as long as other premium balls.. I really like the 2008 version, I'd consider playing it because it's so good around the greens.

I think the 2007 version would suit lower swingspeeds better, but I have no scientific basis for thinking this ;)

That's why I am confused. I reached a par five in two today with this ball. According to the "reviews" I shouldn't be able to do this. :-)

Forget about reports or magazine articles. If it works for you, then that's all the proof you need.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

The test in Golf Mag was conducted with a driver that may not match your specs. For instance the shaft in your driver, and the loft of your driver/COG may be totally differnt than was was used in the test, not to mention you angle of attack, spin rate, course conditions. So while the club being used in the test may not have liked it you may love it. Also if you are a good player, with a good short game, I would worry about control around the green more than distance off the tee, simply because you will shoot lower scores.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

That's why I am confused. I reached a par five in two today with this ball. According to the "reviews" I shouldn't be able to do this. :-)

With your sub 100 mph swing speed, the higher spin of the Platinum could actually help you gain distance with the driver, if do not generate enogh spin for your swing speed because of the way you hit the ball.

Of all the newer balls I have played in the past few months, the Nike One Platinum was one of the longest with the driver for me. The lower spinning Black was a lot shorter. Tried that early in the morning on an empty golf course, with no wind and on a wide fairway. From the same tee and with the same driver (Nike SQ 460 Tour 10.5*) 5 shots each, 4 of which landed in the fairway with the Black, 3 with the Platinum. All of the shots with the Platinum were longer (from 7 to 25 yds) than all of the shots with the Blacks, even the ones with the Platinum, that landed in the semi. My swing speed is 98-99 mph, and all the launch monitor test I have ever had, always had one result: For my swing speed and launch angle, I would need more spin with driver, to keep the ball in the air longer.

So that might be the reason you hit this ball long. I know I do as well. I also love the feeling on short shots and putts, combined with the fact, that this ball is very resiliant and does not shred. The only reason I hesitate to always play the platinum is that it also is very receptive to side spin with the driver, so it is quite easy for me to hook and slice shots with it.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

With your sub 100 mph swing speed, the higher spin of the Platinum could actually help you gain distance with the driver, if do not generate enogh spin for your swing speed because of the way you hit the ball.

Of all the newer balls I have played in the past few months, the Nike One Platinum was one of the longest with the driver for me. The lower spinning Black was a lot shorter. Tried that early in the morning on an empty golf course, with no wind and on a wide fairway. From the same tee and with the same driver (Nike SQ 460 Tour 10.5*) 5 shots each, 4 of which landed in the fairway with the Black, 3 with the Platinum. All of the shots with the Platinum were longer (from 7 to 25 yds) than all of the shots with the Blacks, even the ones with the Platinum, that landed in the semi. My swing speed is 98-99 mph, and all the launch monitor test I have ever had, always had one result: For my swing speed and launch angle, I would need more spin with driver, to keep the ball in the air longer.

So that might be the reason you hit this ball long. I know I do as well. I also love the feeling on short shots and putts, combined with the fact, that this ball is very resiliant and does not shred. The only reason I hesitate to always play the platinum is that it also is very receptive to side spin with the driver, so it is quite easy for me to hook and slice shots with it.

agree 100%. i also am right at 99-100 and am using a diamana whiteboard and the Platinum ball. this combo is working great for me. lower spin shaft for better dispersion and slightly higher spin NOP to even things out. i too hit it further than the NOB or the V1x. if it works for you then thats your ball. don't even think twice.

i'm going to try both the new NOP and NOB this week... i currently play the v1x coupled with an R5 TP head... when i miss, i MISS, like 50 yards right with the driver... i'd like to lessen this miss by about 50%, and if i can do that through a ball, i'll try it...

but i LOVE the v1x into and around the greens, so i need to keep that short game control from whatever ball i choose...

i recently tried the 2008 NOP and i was worried about my 100-105 swing speed not being enough for this ball, based on some reviews. i currently use the 2006 NOP and found no distance loss at all with the 2008 NOP and found it to be a few yards longer. i did find it to work well around the greens and liked the trajectory control of the ball a lot. i think its a great ball and think the comments about the ball being for a higher swing player a little overated.

for what its worth, i also tried the taylormade red tp ldp (you know, the ball that the 2008 NOP was 20 yards shorter than in the golf magazine test) and found the NOP as long as it.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

I really hate to open up yet another can of TM hateorade but could it be possible that TM sent Reds and Blacks that were optimized for the exact specs the magazine was testing for?

Only reason I ask was that I remember the magazine numbers to be really funny

90 mph swing speed, 137 mph ball speed, 13.75-degree launch angle, 2,900 rpm

I remember thinking that someone with a 90 mph swing speed probably isn't going to have a consistent smash factor of 1.52 and I would think they'd want to launch higher then 14*, secondly how did they keep the spin on different balls at a consistent 2,900 RPMs?

Finally I'm wondering how a tour pro/better player could play the Red/Black without launching super high and spinning the crap out of them. Seeing as how the other leaders were softer two piece balls like the NXT extreme, Freak, Noodle etc that would understandably dominate vs tour balls at that swingspeed

I have a sleeve of both the LDP Red and Black but haven't gotten around to trying them yet

First I have to state I did not see the Golf article, so I cant comment on the numbers. I have also tried different balls (I used to play the ProV before I had a car accident which changed my swing speed) and I find my preference is not corrlelating to the info in this site (not that you guys are wrong). Just think of the amount of varibles from one player to the next. Not to mention SS, Loft, and launch angle but Humidity (air friction), hitting the sweet sport, COG of the driver, temperature, and How consistant your swing is from day to day ( or even hole to hole). My point is go with what works. DONT get cought up with the numbers because it will drive you mad. I know from experience when I started this game 20 years ago and played in amatuer tournys. I play better now because i go out and play golf and qhit analizing everything because I am not consistant from day to day.

I play with a Tour xI ( have not tried the NOP yet but will) and really like the feel and workability of the ball. The friend that I go golfing with thinks it is crap.

Just play to enjoy the game.

thanks for let me ramble on

brad

There was an interview with Nike Golf ball guy(Rock Ishi?I think thats his name), who said the NOP was designed specifically for Tiger's game and that one of Tiger's design parameters was "make the ball spin as much as possible and leave it upto me to take the spin off the ball".

Bottom line:if it works for you great, but I would think the Nike Black would be better suited to the majority of golfers.