Wilson Golf vs Harry Arnett & Callaway

2»

Comments

• tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,117 ✭✭
    ladahl wrote:

Wilson DUO will sell to the old Preceipt Laddy crowd and many more. I, personally, don't care for the DUO or the SuperSoft. THe Chrome Soft is not in the same catagory.

I got a few sleeves at the show to try out. I'll give them a go, but having played the Chrome Soft, I think it might be lacking. It comes down to R&D and all. That's the reason all OEMs are chasing Titleist.
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • xxioxxio Members Posts: 5,673 ✭✭
    Yup Topflite and Bridgestone's R&D.

Titleist built years and years of goodwill and rep on having a great player's ball. Balata, Tour Balata, Prestige, and Professional. They were not the first with ProV technology. Tiger would not have had his dominating 2000 if multi layer ball tech was in Tour Balata and Tour Professional users hands the way they were the few months after. Titleist would have lost half it's staff if they didn't come out with their version of the Tour Accuracy. They did and the rest is history and billions for Acushnet.

Yes Titleist is the market and marketing leader, but not the R&D leader.
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,869 ClubWRX
    Looks like some good old fashioned ribbing to me. Just a couple of guys having fun bragging about how their product is better than the other guy's.

I see no malice here.
    TaylorMade M1 9.5* Tour Issue - Black AD DI 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG Gen1 0311T - DGTI AMT S400
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M2A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Play Golf With Him The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,684 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 26, 2015 #35
    Exchanged with Harry(I'm gettin very tech savvy hanging around you guys image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> ), and apparently this guy trolls(his word) him constantly.

If this guy concentrated as much on his game as he does on chirpin on twitter, well, you see where I'm goin with this, lol

I'm not a Cally Guy though Harry's a Gentleman cuz my initial tweet was a tad sharp.

Have a great day Gals & Gents image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

Richard
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • pappaf2pappaf2 Members Posts: 3,471 ✭✭
    An interesteing bit from an interview with Wilson Staff's General Manager.

"“What’s funny about low compression is we’ve been low compression leaders since Staff Titanium,” says Clarke. “When golf balls were 110 compression, Staff Titanium was like 80, so we’ve been at the forefront of this since 1997. When you look at what the Duo has done out there…we went from non-existent in the premium ball category to a share, to a point where Callaway launched Super Soft – and that’s basically a Duo knock-off."

“Say what you want to say, but there’s no innovation that they did. They basically reverse-engineered a world-class product that we couldn’t patent because of mix and formulation issues. They don’t have the exact formula, but you can get pretty close with enough engineers." - Tim Clarke, Wilson Golf"

from an article on the near death and resurection of Wilson Staff
  • xxioxxio Members Posts: 5,673 ✭✭
    I played soft core/low compression core balls from Precept Japan since the early 90s. They were just marketed as ladies and seniors balls then.

They eventually made splashes in the US as the MC Lady, MC Laddie, etc.
  • boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,577 ✭✭
    edited Jan 30, 2015 #38

I think it's great that Harry did not back down. He was prompting his company's new line of golf balls. Why isn't anyone posting against the Wilson Staff player? The guy mentions price consideration but he's on staff per his twitter description.
    . He's not on W/S, he's my neighbor who just happens to love a great product!! He plays a lot of WS products which in turn are great products!
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Play Golf With Him The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,684 ClubWRX
    boggyman wrote:

I think it's great that Harry did not back down. He was prompting his company's new line of golf balls. Why isn't anyone posting against the Wilson Staff player? The guy mentions price consideration but he's on staff per his twitter description.
    . He's not on W/S, he's my neighbor who just happens to love a great product!! He plays a lot of WS products which in turn are great products!
    Some of the finest blades every to hit the Fairways!!

He must bust Harry's chops with regularity, lol

Have a nice weekend Boggy!

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

Richard
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

boggyman wrote:

Some of the finest blades every to hit the Fairways!!

He must bust Harry's chops with regularity, lol

Have a nice weekend Boggy!

Richard
    Thx Richard, have a great weekend yourself!!
  • RATRAT RAT Members Posts: 197
    Thanks Richard and Shane for up holding Wilson Staff. I stopped knuckling Harry because he knows Wilson was making the best Balls and equipment when he was just - well , I would guess he played Wilson equipment at one time, The Duo ball is the best for the money and Callaway saw a winner and imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

I'm a player of WilsonStaff ( not a tour player) and have been for many years and proud of it. I play the Fg V2 tour irons ,hybrid ,wedges, putter and waiting on the D200 driver..

Give the Duo a try you will like it..

Try the Fg Tour ball its great. I play it .

WilsonStaff Equipment- Try them you won't be sorry.
  • Colby327Colby327 Members Posts: 1,963 ✭✭
    I don't see anything wrong with the exchange. They're both just a couple of guys standing up for the equipment they love. Nothing out of line here.
    Ping G30 AD DI 6x
    Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
    Adams A12 19* & 22* VTS Silver
    Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
    Byron Morgan Copper DH89 Mini
    WITB Link
  • ThunderBuzzworthThunderBuzzworth Hulk... Smash!! Members Posts: 2,556 ✭✭
    Are the chrome soft balls really selling at a rapid pace?
    Current WITB

Taylormade 2016 M1 7.8* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
    Titleist 917 F3 15* (Tensei Pro white 90tx)
    Titleist 716 TMB 19* (DG X100)
    Callaway 18’ X Forged 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 130)
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50F black (x100)
    Titleist Vokey TVD 55K black (x100)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60D black (x100)
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34”
    Srixon Z Star XV 17’ Yellow
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed Members Posts: 3,335 ✭✭
    edited Jan 30, 2015 #44
    Callaway Golf : 2014 full year sales increased 5% to $887 million, compared to $843 million in 2013; income from operations increased to $31 million

Wilson Golf: 2014 sales in the mid $120 to $130 million. 100 years of golf experience, more than 20 years of sales spiraling down....

Game Over......
  • Gauchograd99Gauchograd99 Members Posts: 1,870 ✭✭
    Personally, I love that Harry is out there and talks with people. For someone to troll him "all the time" tells me they need to spend less time trolling and more on their golf game. That said, I haven't hit the SS or the ChromeSoft yet, but the Duo literally fell out of the sky on me with the driver like a wounded duck. It felt ok on iron shots, but I lost almost 30 yards off the tee. If the SS or CS don't fall out of the sky on me then Harry and Team Callaway wins in a 1st round KO.
    Razr-FIT Ext. 8.5deg, Black Tie (S)
    XHotPro 13.5deg, stock stiff
    TM Stage2Pro 18.5deg (set low), stiff. (Currently NOT in bag)
    Cleveland TA1 1 iron (Currently NOT in bag)
    Callaway Apex MB Steelfiber i110cw 3-PW
    Mizuno MP-T4 (50/6)
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 54/10
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 58/8
    Odyssey MXM #6 "Versa," 35in.
    http://www.gamegolf....er/gauchograd99

Member of the OGA (Outlaw Golf Association) # 6.022*10^23
  • MJisGOATMJisGOAT Members Posts: 4,586 ✭✭
    Sounds like banter to me.

But for what it's worth, neither of the two balls are worth defending.
    Cali
    TailorMaid
    t****
    "inefficient and dead rear cavity design"
    @thereal#7
    edited Jan 31, 2015 #47
    RAT wrote:

Thanks Richard and Shane for up holding Wilson Staff.

WilsonStaff Equipment- Try them you won't be sorry.
    RAT, are you the Guy exchanging tweets with Harry, LMAO?

This is great, lol. A year ago I couldn't even post pics myself and now this, LMAO!!

All in good fun, however as Gaucho stated, it is cool that Harry will respond, as a lot don't or have another do it for them.

Never really played Staff balls however from 67-86, played their irons and then rotate the 59s with my 68s.

These are a special iron if anyone gets the opportunity to pick up a set. Incredible iron. Minimal off-set, compact heel/toe & nice muscle pad.

Anyhoo, I hope that ya have a great season!!

Richard
  • RATRAT RAT Members Posts: 197
    Hehehe, I guess it's too late to have a commercial on the Super Bowl like Coke and Pepsi had a few years ago?

I guess it's like Harry said " it's the skin" ...Thick or Thin..? I'm sure Harry is an ok guy , we just have a difference of opinion. YeeeeHaaaa!
  • Gauchograd99Gauchograd99 Members Posts: 1,870 ✭✭
    Ya know, I just ended up in a bit of a "Harry vs Wilson" twitter battle myself. Posted a pic of the box of Chrome Soft I bought (after gift cards, it was $12 out the door) with a message to Chad Coleman and Harry about the ball. In jest, I said if the ball isn't as good as the hype I was "coming after Chad." (added #kidding). Next thing I know, I have a message from "poundsignJosh" from Bridgestone trashing the ball and suggesting I get the B330-RX instead. First, the fact a company rep is watching Harry's feed to the point of replying to people who bought the competitor's ball is a bit interesting. Second, the name "poundsign" is interesting given that Chad Coleman's twitter handle is "hashtag" ... hmmm. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Third, he didn't bother to ask about my game before pushing the RX, but I did send some stats his way along with my ball fit profiles (SR2/3 borderline and B300/330's borderline). Finally, he was pushing the ball fitting... which as I told him I have done in the past and it suggests B330 or B330-S as a match. Sadly, Harry didn't get involved as that might have been really interesting, but still...

Oh yeah, I also added that I wouldn't spend $40/dozen on golfballs... regardless of the brand or features. Not sure they really care, but I do.
    Razr-FIT Ext. 8.5deg, Black Tie (S)
    XHotPro 13.5deg, stock stiff
    TM Stage2Pro 18.5deg (set low), stiff. (Currently NOT in bag)
    Cleveland TA1 1 iron (Currently NOT in bag)
    Callaway Apex MB Steelfiber i110cw 3-PW
    Mizuno MP-T4 (50/6)
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 54/10
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 58/8
    Odyssey MXM #6 "Versa," 35in.
    http://www.gamegolf....er/gauchograd99

Member of the OGA (Outlaw Golf Association) # 6.022*10^23