Canadian Titleist ProV1/ProV1x buyers

Midnightexpress

Anyone else feeling the pinch after seeing the retail price for the 2015 Titlei$t ProV1 offerings...mainly at GolfTown? 59.99 plus 14 % tax =around $68 bucks a dozen or about 5.66 a ball. I am a huge Titleist fan but I am not liking the price increase one bit. first year in many years of NEW only Prov1x balls in the bag might be in jeopardy.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

retail for the 2013 version is still set at 53.99 plus 14% tax. that should drop soon enough I would suspect. its not about losing them. I might lose a ball every 3 round on average. its just that I LIKE to (not need to) play with a new ball every round.. 75 rounds or so, we'll say 75 rounds. so going back to what I said.. at 5.66 per ball, at one ball per round at 75 rounds = $424.50 CDN. that's one third the price of my membership. food for thought.

[quote name='Beels' timestamp='1422822663' post='10863717']
Exchange is going to kill us on everything with the US Dollar at 1.25 vs the Loonie. Prices of everything will be going up.
[/quote]

I agree that this is having an effect on price. But also Titleist has increased their prices. They have now priced them out of my bag.
What is interesting is that the new Callaway Chrome Soft only is $2 more up here than in the US. But Titleist has gone up $5 Canadian with this model over last years, and the Canadian pricing is $12.00 a dozen more than in the US.

The golf course I work at, the prices are the same as they were last year. They are also the same at the local golf shops.

Ping G400 Max Driver
Callaway Mavrik Max 5 Wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 4/5/6 Hybrids
Callaway Mavrik Max Irons 7-PW

Cleveland 48*, 52*, 56* CBX2 Wedges
Callaway 60* Sure Out Wedge

Odyssey Eleven Lined Putter

Titleist AVX Ball

JumboMax Ultralite XS Grips

I was @ GT when they were putting them on the shelf. Guy said that ProV users will pay the price. Personally, I prefer the Chrome Soft $40/dz.

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

As a Brit I laughed (and sighed) when Golf Digest proudly quoted the 2015 model balls will stay at $48 US. Whatever. UK price is over $60 US and retailers are being told to keep their stocks of 2013 ammo as high as poss. Our local store has dropped the 2013s by a huge $3 a dozen. Will stick to my 2013 stock of Pink numbered balls that I picked up cheap....

I can't recall if it was a function of the 62 cent dollar, as I believe it was before it reached the lowest point, but I recall ProV1s going to for $72 a dozen. Within a year or so of their introduction.

They still flew off the shelves for a while, then the pricing got better.

Hopefully this doesn't mean the tournament I've played in the last few years doesn't stop giving us ProVs as a welcome gift.

The adidas store in toronto sometimes sells the TPX and TP balls for $25/doz. Great deal

Played them head to head vs ProV a little last year and they are pretty much the same IMO

The prices had to go up with the dollar tanking

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Little known fact, the 2015 version of the Prov1 / Prov1x was initially presold to vendors at a $53.99 price point in the US. They got such huge backlash that they relented and put the price back down to the same 47.99 that they had used for the previous version.

Callaway Mavrick Sub Zero 9* / Aldila Rip'd NV 65X
Taylormade SLDR 15* / Aldila Copper XTorsion 70X
Yonix Ezone 18* / UST Mayiama V2 75 X
Adams Super 9031  20* & 23* Hybrid / Aldila NV 85X
Maltby TS2 5 & 6 / Project X 6.0
Maltby TS1 7-P  / Project X 6.0 
Callaway JAWS MD5 Raw 52* & 58* / Project X 6.0
Taylormade Tour Issue Manta Ray / 32.5"
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

[quote name='Midnightexpress' timestamp='1422735844' post='10857691']
Anyone else feeling the pinch after seeing the retail price for the 2015 Titlei$t ProV1 offerings...mainly at GolfTown? 59.99 plus 14 % tax =around $68 bucks a dozen or about 5.66 a ball. I am a huge Titleist fan but I am not liking the price increase one bit. first year in many years of NEW only Prov1x balls in the bag might be in jeopardy.
[/quote]Maxfli 4u, much cheaper and a better ball, not as hard!

[quote name='gprointraining' timestamp='1423168395' post='10892121']
Little known fact, the 2015 version of the Prov1 / Prov1x was initially presold to vendors at a $53.99 price point in the US. They got such huge backlash that they relented and put the price back down to the same 47.99 that they had used for the previous version.
[/quote]

I am hoping this will be the case up here in Canada.. same thing for the 915's they went up 50 bucks for the driver, 30 for the fairways and 20 for the hybrids. in this difficult time of equipment sales... specially in Canada, I cannot understand price increases.

[quote name='Midnightexpress' timestamp='1423277279' post='10903305']
[quote name='gprointraining' timestamp='1423168395' post='10892121']
[/quote]

I am hoping this will be the case up here in Canada.. same thing for the 915's they went up 50 bucks for the driver, 30 for the fairways and 20 for the hybrids. in this difficult time of equipment sales... specially in Canada, I cannot understand price increases.
[/quote]
Titleist has always had that "F You, we are Titleist, and we demand a PREMIUM PRICE for our product! air about them in the US since I have been in the business. I doubt they drop any prices.

Callaway Mavrick Sub Zero 9* / Aldila Rip'd NV 65X
Taylormade SLDR 15* / Aldila Copper XTorsion 70X
Yonix Ezone 18* / UST Mayiama V2 75 X
Adams Super 9031  20* & 23* Hybrid / Aldila NV 85X
Maltby TS2 5 & 6 / Project X 6.0
Maltby TS1 7-P  / Project X 6.0 
Callaway JAWS MD5 Raw 52* & 58* / Project X 6.0
Taylormade Tour Issue Manta Ray / 32.5"
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

HUGE PREFACE HERE: I think Titleist makes great product, but I would like to explain why and how they have the perception that they do...

I think that Titleist now more than ever is really promoting the quality make the difference thing with this years version of the ProV1... as per the commercials and ads.

As someone who is in the industry, Titleist really is the gold standard of golf balls. NOT because its the best, but because its what people are used to, ( and that their quality control is very very good, lets not forget that, or tour validation, or performance) .. I know people who will play ONLY Titleist golf balls, and I call these people crazy. But also as someone who has seen how it works, Titleist makes their money off of regular joes who WANT to play Titleist. Its all about the brand pyramid and it starts with the HUGE promotion and money invested on tour at the top of the pyramid, after that its NCAA + elite ams + club pros + and the really good players "around town" ( this is descending down the pyramid at this point ) Trust me, a LOT of those guys aren't just playing Titeist because it works so well. Its because they are getting great deals from reps or pros who are given budgets to promote the brand to the elite level....Plus they are all getting fitted for this stuff!!!

I know a few player who to this day when asked why do you play Titlest? The answer is always " its because they have always been good to me, especially when I was in college getting free or discounted gear of when I played in am events and I would get a dozen balls, a hat, and some FJ's for free." Its all about the "seeding" and promotion... get them young and they will love you for life... This is why the new Srixon partnership with so many of the junior tours is so important now.. ( again not taking sides just giving examples )

Think of it this way, Titleist is to golf balls and in a way club as NIKE is to shoes... Marketing, branding, and seeding is all about the BEST.. we are number one mentality which is why Titleist can command the prices they do because they know that people will pay for them. Here's a couple great examples from about 5 years ago when I worked in the height of big box golf retail:

-Fathers Day and christmas, two of the biggest NON golfer shopping days for big box golf retail. Friends, Wives, Girl Friends, Kids, all buying balls for pops. And even though you offer an alternative to them at an equal quality and comparable brand ( ie Titleist, Bridgestone, Callaway ) they ALL knew that they HAD to get Titleist ProV's. Again not because they know it was the best, but because they didn't want to be perceived as buying an inferior gift for someone who was a "golfer"

- Even golfers ( especially, hate to say it, mid handicaps who love to talk up their games ) would almost also also bring up the fact that "No its ok, i don't want those Srixons for half price, becuase ( and here it comes ) I'm a Titleist guy",

-Its the same reason little kids ask their parents for NIKE shoes instead of RBK ( as always not even talking performance just perception and price ) its all about the brand.

I've learned that everybody in this business makes great product, and when it comes to performance ( especially the golf ball ) its so much more about perception ( but lets not also remember feel ) which for example is why so many guys love Titleist is because of the sound and fell of the ball ( lets be honest its nice ) vs other like Bridgestone, or Callaway ( both feel great to me, I just had to use a brand for comparison)

As for the original topic and us poor suckers here in Canada and the price of golf gear. It only seems way worse here at the moment because we are the ONE and ONLY country that is so close to the USA and shares similar economic standards of living but also have very different pricing which is obviously frustrating considering over 75% of the population can drive less than 3 hours and cross the border ( not an exact statistic)... good luck doing the in Australia, where EVERYTHING including golf equipment is CRAZY expensive compared to North American prices...Oh and yes to get out of Australia you have to either fly or take a boat!

My recommendation is to buy a different ball.. I played SR3 last year and loved it. I also bought last years TM balls around $20 a dozen and cant say that my game went to shambles. In retro spec on this whole rant I'm not pro... Just a 2-3 Handicap guy that is lucky to play a few times a week so I dont notice much difference in all honestly, especially when it comes to the always bragged about distance off the tee. This year I think I'll end up being a Srixon guy because I think they make great stuff, but dont think I wont try all the new stuff..

Just at Golftown earlier. Prov1/1x are 59.99 Srixon z-star/z-starxv are 34.99. I think titleist are good but no chance they are $25 more a dozen better than the srixon's. NO WAY! Crazy that people will pay this price, IMO

9*Cobra LTDx LS Graphite Design VR-6s
14.5* Ping G425 LST Accra TZ6 75 M4
19* TEE C723 Accra TZ6 85H M4

23* TEE C723 Accra TZ6 85H M4
5-pw Srixon mkii zx7 Modus 105s
52* Vokey F grind bent to 51
56* Vokey F grind bent to 55
60*-Callaway Jaws Full Toe 
Sizemore xb-1 mid slant tour proto

[quote name='Flames20' timestamp='1423334741' post='10906439']
Just at Golftown earlier. Prov1/1x are 59.99 Srixon z-star/z-starxv are 34.99. I think titleist are good but no chance they are $25 more a dozen better than the srixon's. NO WAY! Crazy that people will pay this price, IMO
[/quote]

Pretty sure you are comparing the 2015 Titleist balls to the older 2013 Srixon balls. The new Srixon balls just came out and are retailing for $44.99 USD, so we should see them for $49.99.