Best Mid-Priced Golf Ball

Matty11190Matty11190 Members Posts: 24
Right now I'm trying to figure out what box of golf balls I should purchase for this season. In the past I would use whatever golf balls my Dad would bring home. I shoot in the mid to low 90's and this season I'm trying to lower my score to consistently shoot in the 80s. I wanted to know, what's the best mid-priced ball in the range of $20-30 for my 110 swingspeed?

Comments

• Blues GolferBlues Golfer Members Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was ready to give you some ideas, but at 110, I'd only be guessing.

Your swing speed aside, I've been doing some comparison.

TM TP Red is a great ball, for 36 or so. I think it's better than the NXT Tour. Never tried the extreme.

The TM is as long as the NXT Tour, and holds a little better. It is harder on the face, with all the club including the putter, but it does not feel as hard as it sounds. It sounds like a Callaway, but plays softer off the face.

With that swing speed though, I'd look at the TF Gamer. Not expensive to try, and being a TF I'd think it might go well with your SS.
  • golfdad907golfdad907 Play fast, have fun Members Posts: 3,101
    If you shop right, you can find Bridgestone B330 for about $33 a dozen. Regular retail I'd try Bridgestone e5+ or Cally HX Hot Bite, both are long, soft and spin great.
    2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
    RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
    RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
    XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
    Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
    Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
    X Forged C Grind 52*
    PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
    Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
    Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year
  • BaconatorBaconator Members Posts: 615 ✭✭
    This is still a good time of year to pick up what's left of last year's tour balls. Last year's Nike One blacks can be found for $25-30/dz. and at that price they're a good pick for an all-around nice ball. Depending on how fast you swing, how straight your drives are and how much spin you get off of your scoring irons there are a variety of alternatives out there. Around the $20/dz. mark I'd suggest trying the Bridgestone E5+ and/or E6+, Srixon AD333 and the Top Flite Gamer for starters.

golfdad907 wrote on May 21 2008, 08:58 PM:
    If you shop right, you can find Bridgestone B330 for about $33 a dozen. Regular retail I'd try Bridgestone e5+ or Cally HX Hot Bite, both are long, soft and spin great.

I don't mean to derail the topic, but I don't suppose you have any online sources for cheap B330S's, do you?
  • t.bahamat.bahama Members Posts: 261
  • golfdad907golfdad907 Play fast, have fun Members Posts: 3,101
    I don't mean to derail the topic, but I don't suppose you have any online sources for cheap B330S's, do you?

[/quote]

For some reason here in DFW ara, GG has current model 330/330s for $32.99, then, since I'm such a ho, they give me the $5 off per dozen coupon, I bought 5 dozen for the season.

Aso check PGA Superstore, they fight it out with GG all the time here, not so much online, but in store....happy hunting.
    2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
    RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
    RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
    XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
    Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
    Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
    X Forged C Grind 52*
    PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
    Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
    Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year
  • Large David HammerLarge David Hammer Members Posts: 399
    As a devoted mid-priced ball player...I like several and choose between them based on sale prices at the time.

TaylorMade Burner-TP (& Burner)

Nike Ignite (2006, the older version, which still can be found discounted) ...not the new one from 07-08.

NXT Tour

Top Flite Gamer (has very positively surprised everyone I know who has tried it)

Bridgestone e5+ (super-soft cover) ...but watch out for extra-high trajectory & falling from the sky, lacking roll.

Bridgestone e6+ (less spin, lower flight, decent feel on the short ones (not nearly up to the e5+ however, for feel)

Wilson Zip

Srixon AD333 or Trispeed

Callaway HX Hot Bite
    RBZ TP 9.5* RIP'd NV 65
    TM R11s - 14* - RIP Alpha 70
    TM Rescue '11 TP - RIP 85
    Cleveland CG16 Tour - TT DG
    Cleveland 588 Forged Wedges
    Forged Yes "Callie f" Blade
  • GoldenhawkGoldenhawk Members Posts: 3,241 ✭✭
    Bridgestone E6+
    Callawa Epci Flash, 9.0* Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard 63
    Callaway Epic Flash, 15* 3-wood, Project X Evenflow 65
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 18* 5-wood, Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Redboard 73
    Titleist AP3, 4 to AW, True Temper AMT Black S300
    Titleist Vokey Wedges, 50*, 56* and 60*, M Grind, True Temper Dynamic Gold S200
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
  • sk373sk373 Members Posts: 1,413 ✭✭
    tgw.com has the 2007 TaylorMade TP Black and Red for $24.99/dz, and if you order today, you can get an extra 10% off. they also have last years Nike One Black and Platinum YMMV for $29.99/dz. Golf Galaxy has Top Flite Strata TL-Tours (3-piece urethane ball) for $12.99/dz. Golfsmith has Nike TA2-SPN's (also 3-piece urethane ball) for $14.99/dz. RockBottomGolf has Precept U-Tri Extra Distance's (yep, u guessed it, 3-piece urethane ball) for $12.99/dz if u buy 3 dz. finally, if u prefer to go to a store, u can find Precept U-Tri-Tours (direct predecessor to the Bridgestone B330/B330-S) at your local Target or WalMart for less than $24/dz.

2008 ball alternatives: TopFlite Gamer, $20/dz; Wilson Zip, $20/dz; TaylorMade Burner TP Tour, $25/dz; Callaway HXHot Bite, $29/doz, Titleist NXT Tour, $29/doz. none of these feature a urethane cover, though the TaylorMade ball comes closest to approaching urethane performance, IMO (it features a cover formulation they call "Iothane", which appears to be some sort of ionomer/urethane blend). as an aside, the TaylorMade Burner TP Tour ball is the exact same ball as the Maxfli Tour Fire which can be found for $20/dz at Dicks Sporting Goods.

i believe your best bet is to go with one of the closeout 3-piece urethane balls i have mentioned. best values are the Strata TL-Tour and Precept U-Tri Extra Distance. best performing balls out of the ones i mentioned are the 2007 TaylorMade TP Black/Red and Precept U-Tri-Tour, IMO. YMMV.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file