Pick my ball

SplashShotSplashShot Members Posts: 369
I use various Urethane tour level balls right now, my favorite was the Z Star XV and I have a dozen loaded in my bag right now for the spring, but reading a lot of these reviews and analyzing my game, I wonder if there is something I might like better.

- I'm a mid 80's shooter.

- I don't need more distance.

- I don't slice, my miss is a hook that no ball can save me from when it happens.

- My normal misses are a push or pull, but straight.

- I sometimes spin the ball too much, wedges will suck off the front.

- I do like the spin when I just miss the green.

- I like a softer feel off the putter.

So I think I'm looking for..

- Something with chipping and pitching bite

- Still feels soft to putt

- Will have less full wedge spin

- Won't introduce more driver spin

I'm willing to try one or two others out.. I really do like the feel of the XV, but I've knocked more than one close only to have it pull back 15 feet. I don't like that feeling.
Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X2Hot 3 deep
Adams Super S 3H
Ping ISI-S 4-PW, S1, S3
Cleveland Classic, Superstroke SSR2
Snell MTB

Comments

• SplashShotSplashShot Members Posts: 369
    I was thinking maybe a lower spinning Urethane ball like the RBZ Urethane or the Bridgestone e5 might suit me better than a XV or a V1x or a B-330s or a Lethal? (The last mix of tour balls I've played.)
    Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
    Callaway X2Hot 3 deep
    Adams Super S 3H
    Ping ISI-S 4-PW, S1, S3
    Snell MTB
  • YrrdeadYrrdead Better Living Through Chemistry Members Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    I'd try out a 3pc non urethane. Any of the usual suspects will be fine, supersoft, gamer soft.
    G400 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
    Steelhead 15*
    Apex 21* Hybrid
    Apex Pro('14)4-P
    Exo #7

• riehlgriehlg Lets Go Pens Members Posts: 927
    I used to play the Z-Star XV but just couldn't get along with them well on the greens. They felt clicky and firm to me. Switched to the Bridgestone B330-RXS and love them but if you want a little bit lower spin you can go with the B330-RX. It's my favorite ball as it's soft but still has great control around the green. They're durable too which is another plus. (Not as durable as the yellow XV's but then again, nothing is).
    Titleist 915D2 10.5º - Diamana Blue 60 S+
    Callaway X2Hot Pro 4W 17º - Aldila Tour Green
    Adams Pro Hybrid 3H 20º - Aldila Tour Red
    Cobra AMP Forged (4-P) - KBS Tour S+
    Mizuno MP-T5 50º
    Taylormade Tour Preffered ATV 54º
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 U-Grind 58º
    Seemore FGP - SuperStroke Mid-Slim 2.0 (Blue)
    Bridgestone B330-RXS
    I was always worried half wedge spin would suffer too much with a non-urethane, so I never really tried them. The low compression balls I'm not so sure about, my swing speed with a driver is 110-115, I always felt something like a super soft would be way too mushy. The B330-s spins too much on full wedge shots. The B330 feels to hard of the putter. The RX and RXS are for lower swing speed or is that a myth? The regular RX seems like it may fit, how does that feel off the putter? And does it still check on chips and pitches?
    Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
    Callaway X2Hot 3 deep
    Adams Super S 3H
    Ping ISI-S 4-PW, S1, S3
    Snell MTB
  • kess13kess13 So I just put the ball in the hole... Members Posts: 1,290 ✭✭
    If you are looking for less spinny than an xv then stay away from the e5. I like it but it can be a spin machine. Higher compression as well. From your description I'd agree that the rx would be worth a look. Fg tour x might fit the bill too. Still have some laying around. The u/4x might work as well.
    Bio Cell
    F6 baffler
    MP54
    T7/eye2XG Lob
    Mills Ming
  • RPJETRPJET Members Posts: 317 ✭✭
    SplashShot wrote:

I was always worried half wedge spin would suffer too much with a non-urethane, so I never really tried them. The low compression balls I'm not so sure about, my swing speed with a driver is 110-115, I always felt something like a super soft would be way too mushy. The B330-s spins too much on full wedge shots. The B330 feels to hard of the putter. The RX and RXS are for lower swing speed or is that a myth? The regular RX seems like it may fit, how does that feel off the putter? And does it still check on chips and pitches?
    The RX is a great ball. Checks up perfectly and feels great off the putter. I'm not sure if you will compress it too much and lose distance with your driver, but it's worth a try.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5 - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S
    Cobra F8+14* - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S
    TM RBZ Black19* & 22* hybrids
    TM P790 5-AW - TT DG105 S300
    Titleist SM7 wedges 54* 58*
    Ping Karsten Series Zing putter
  • Sonny217Sonny217 50/50/90 Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    I'd like to help you out and all, but I'm a firm believer that a man needs to pick his own balls.
  • MahamiltoMahamilto NYCMembers Posts: 1,922 ✭✭
    If ur swing speed is over 105 go to Nike rzn black... If under, chrome soft.
    Titleist TS3 - 9.75* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5 (D1 Setting, STD Fade)
    Titleist 917F2 - 15*, Diamana S+ LTD 80TX (B1 Setting, 16g Fade)
    Titleist 818 H1 - 19*, Tensei Pro White 90TX (B1 Setting, 12g Fade)
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-iron - KBS C-Taper 130x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-9-iron - DG AMT x100
    Titleist 718 AP2 PW, 50* - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM7 55* S-Grind - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM2 59.12* - DG Tour Issue x100
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Bridgestone Tour BX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,721 ✭✭
    Chrome Soft or Super soft. Best bang for the buck out there this yr. IMO.
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw Nippon 105R
    S18 50, 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • jack19jack19 LongDrive Newbie Members Posts: 122
    e5 or Q-star. PD Soft is great too
    I actually used to use the PD Soft, I liked the way it felt but that **** thing would never check on a chip or pitch, I always had to plan for roll out, which isn't a bad thing, except when I had to land it short of the fringe for a pin I missed short side.
    Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
    Callaway X2Hot 3 deep
    Adams Super S 3H
    Ping ISI-S 4-PW, S1, S3
    Snell MTB
    Lots of people are saying Chrome Soft, I'm definitely going to buy a sleeve and give them a go. I'll use them on the safer holes so the test lasts longer image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I'll do the same with the RZN Black. I have looked at that ball a lot too, but I'm still concerned a full wedge will spin too much with that. Isn't there a ball that's low spin off the driver and long clubs, medium spin on full wedges and low irons, but really spinny on partial shots and chips? Maybe what I'm looking for isn't possible..

Thank you everyone for your opinons!
    Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
    Callaway X2Hot 3 deep
    Adams Super S 3H
    Ping ISI-S 4-PW, S1, S3
    Snell MTB
    Headed out to run errands today, I'm going to pick up a sleeve of Chrome Soft and a sleeve of RZN Black.. I won't have any updates anytime soon since I'm under 16 inches of snow right now, but more excited to get on the course every day!
    Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
    Callaway X2Hot 3 deep
    Adams Super S 3H
    Ping ISI-S 4-PW, S1, S3
    Snell MTB
    edited Feb 5, 2015 #16
    SplashShot wrote:

Lots of people are saying Chrome Soft, I'm definitely going to buy a sleeve and give them a go. I'll use them on the safer holes so the test lasts longer image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I'll do the same with the RZN Black. I have looked at that ball a lot too, but I'm still concerned a full wedge will spin too much with that. Isn't there a ball that's low spin off the driver and long clubs, medium spin on full wedges and low irons, but really spinny on partial shots and chips? Maybe what I'm looking for isn't possible..

The RZN Black is the lower spinning Nike tour ball. The Platinum spins like a top, but the black is perfect if you are a high spin/high speed player.

I had an issue with chrome+ spinning too much and it drove me nuts to hit one 2' from cup and suck it back 16" off front of the green.

The RZN Black is a spinny ball, but I would say very low spin for a tour ball, especially on full wedges. I played the chrome soft and RZN Black side by side and found the Chrome Soft to spin a bit more if anything. I explained this to myself as the softer ball compressing into the grooves to a higher degree than the harder Nike. I'm sure this isn't the only factor, but it feels like thats what happening... the chrome soft staying on the face longer with irons.

The RZN black is exactly what you are asking for. Incredibly straight and low spin on driver. Solid shot stopping spin on irons (without over spinning), and quite spinny on short shots due to a really soft cover.
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Bridgestone Tour BX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
    Mahamilto wrote:

SplashShot wrote:

The RZN Black is the lower spinning Nike tour ball. The Platinum spins like a top, but the black is perfect if you are a high spin/high speed player.

I had an issue with chrome+ spinning too much and it drove me nuts to hit one 2' from cup and suck it back 16" off front of the green.

The RZN Black is a spinny ball, but I would say very low spin for a tour ball, especially on full wedges. I played the chrome soft and RZN Black side by side and found the Chrome Soft to spin a bit more if anything. I explained this to myself as the softer ball compressing into the grooves to a higher degree than the harder Nike. I'm sure this isn't the only factor, but it feels like thats what happening... the chrome soft staying on the face longer with irons.

The RZN black is exactly what you are asking for. Incredibly straight and low spin on driver. Solid shot stopping spin on irons (without over spinning), and quite spinny on short shots due to a really soft cover.

I will definitely grab some of those.
    Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
    Callaway X2Hot 3 deep
    Adams Super S 3H
    Ping ISI-S 4-PW, S1, S3
    Snell MTB
    Good luck. Lemme know if it fits
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Bridgestone Tour BX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag