2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

TESTING: Callaway Chrome Soft Ball Member Reviews

While the GolfWRX staff strives to review the gear that matters most to you, we want your voice to be heard. GolfWRX was founded as a community and we like to give our members the opportunity to test the latest and greatest golf equipment.

Recently, 10 GolfWRX members were given the opportunity to test Callaway's new Chrome Soft golf ball:

GreggM

Dissident

viperstudio

venturagolfer87

3 putt Charlie

FLGOLFJUNKIE

JWBAMA23

1david5

Bogey_Fly_By

sirparalot

Members have started to receive their Chrome Soft and will post in this thread. Let's keep it clear until they begin posting.

Thanks!

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received mine today and ready to put them in play. I'll get out this week and test these balls out and get back to you guys with a full review. If anything in particular you want me to post let me know. As of now, putting on the carpet and it feel not as soft as the Supersoft (which is good). Currently gaming Supersoft and looking forward to try and test on the course. Thanks Callaway and Golfwrx for the opportunity.

[attachment=2610029:chromesoft.jpg]

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

I received mine today. I would like to thank Golfwrx and Callaway for the opportunity for my first review. I am playing Wednesday morning so hopefully I will have some good info on these. [attachment=2610107:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1423523926.112910.jpg]

[attachment=2610109:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX
Mobile1423523943.612873.jpg]

[attachment=2610111:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX
Mobile1423523972.346952.jpg]

[attachment=2610113:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX
Mobile1423523995.671817.jpg]

[attachment=2610115:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1423524012.071048.jpg]

Ok so in true WRX fashion I couldn't wait and busted out the 10' putting green i have. I just wanted to write some quick observations even though they are only on short putts. The ball is extremely soft off the putter face and i didn't notice any jumping off the face as some have reported in other threads. Others have also said they couldn't tell if they mishit it or not with the putter but I could with my Newport Mil Spec. As far as putting feel goes this is the ball I have been looking for. I wish it wasn't raining here all day cause i would have went to the lighted range to test this out on chipping/pitching and longer putts. More to follow in the next couple days.

[quote name='viperstudio' timestamp='1423521658' post='10920027']
I received mine today and ready to put them in play. I'll get out this week and test these balls out and get back to you guys with a full review. If anything in particular you want me to post let me know. As of now, putting on the carpet and it feel not as soft as the Supersoft (which is good). Currently gaming Supersoft and looking forward to try and test on the course. Thanks Callaway and Golfwrx for the opportunity.

[attachment=2610029:chromesoft.jpg]
[/quote]

Ok I'll go. Most interested in putting and short game trajectory with variety of shot types compared to SS, and of course other tour level balls. I find the SS rockets quite high off the wedge. thanks testers

Gentlemen,

I am one of the testers selected to put the Callaway Chrome Soft through its paces. I'll begin testing tomorrow afternoon at my home course and will play the ball exclusively for the next several weeks as I definitely do not think that I can give a fair, balanced assessment of a ball in just one round of golf. Being that it is my home course, I am very familiar with my typical distances with my regular rotation of balls. Also, I'm well aware of how my usual ball reacts to chips and pitches on these greens.
A little info on my game:

+1 handicap with a swing speed that averages 107 (sometimes 110, sometimes 104). I'd say I am average length (maybe not [i]golfwrx [/i]avg) with my irons:
58*: 90 yards
54*: 105
AW: 115
PW: 125
9i: 135
8i: 145
7i: 160
6i: 175
5i: 185
4i: 195
3H:215
3W:240
Driver: 280(ish)

Wedges are Callaway Mack Daddy Tour Grind
Irons are Nike Vapor Pro Combo
3H is an old TaylorMade Burner
3W is a RocketBallz
Driver is Callaway BB Double Black Diamond
Putter: Ping Ketsch

Balls: Srixon XV (wht and ylw), ProV1X, TM Tour Preferred X

Feel free to make suggestions or ask questions. I hope to provide a thorough review!
[attachment=2610763:IMG_7310.jpg]

[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.0*[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway Rogue 15*[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway X Hot Pro 23* [/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway Apex MB 5-PW[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Bridgestone J15 50*, 54*, 58*[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Taylormade Spider Tour Red[/color][/font]

Good Morning,

The balls from Callaway arrived yesterday evening and I am very excited to have been given the opportunity to test these on behalf of WRX and our outstanding community of golf fanatics.

[attachment=2610849:IMG_1966.jpg]

My first opportunity to put them through their paces will be this Thursday. I look forward to providing a thorough and accurate review and welcome any and all questions about my experiences during the test.

Let me share a little bit about my game so that those with similar tendencies can get a better read on the performance of this ball. I would classify myself as a consistent player. I rarely get into trouble on the course. Handicap is between 10 and 11. Driving distance is 225-235 with a swing speed in the mid 90's. I hit the ball fairly straight and don't intentionally try to work the ball unless that is the only shot I have. I really try to keep things basic on the course. Biggest opportunity for me is short game especially chipping. I feel I could score 2-3 shots better per round if I could solidify this part of my game. Unfortunately as a dad of 3, time is tight and my 1 day of golf a week is almost always a weekly round with the guys. My usual ball is a ProV1 so all comparisons will be made vs. that ball.

Thanks again to the WRX crew for this opportunity to contribute.

I'll update everyone after my round on Thursday.

I wasn't picked (and never am) but I did put the Chrome Soft's in play this past Thursday 2/4 through Saturday 2/6 while on a short golf trip to Florida (Naples area). We played 5 rounds in 4 days (Thurs - Sun). The last day (Sun), I took the Chrome Softs out of play and went back to my ProV1X's.

The long and short is that the Chrome's felt like the balata balls from back in the day. They are incredibly soft off of every club (just like their namesake), but especially felt great off the putter. Spin around the greens was very good, and into the greens with everything from 6I to PW was fine. To be honest, the only area I felt was deficient was distance off the driver and FW's. The ball just didn't seem to go as far as my normal gamer. Maybe it's the "lower compression" the Chrome Soft claims to sport; which I'm not sure I fully understand. Here's why..... solid balls (2 piece, 3 piece and some 4 piece), traditionally, didn't have compression, rather a solid core and layers. Compression was a term used to describe balls back in the day when a liquid core center and rubber windings were used as part of their internal construction. Once the "solid" ball came along, compression wasn't used to describe balls any longer. All of the sudden, it's back. How they "compress" a solid ball still escapes me. Anyhow, the Chrome Soft seemed to be about 10-15 yards shorter off the tee for me. That was determined on several holes where I purposely hit 2 drive, and nutted them both, to get a fair comparison. Every time the Chrome Soft was behind. Where I did see great improvement was with shots into the wind. I believe their dimple design is a major contributor to that. In the end, I feel it's a very, very good ball......one I would game if it weren't for the obvious loss in distance off the driver.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

cant wait to see what goes on with these as love the supersoft,

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='Hifade' timestamp='1423588901' post='10925075']
I wasn't picked (and never am) but I did put the Chrome Soft's in play this past Thursday 2/4 through Saturday 2/6 while on a short golf trip to Florida (Naples area). We played 5 rounds in 4 days (Thurs - Sun). The last day (Sun), I took the Chrome Softs out of play and went back to my ProV1X's.

The long and short is that the Chrome's felt like the balata balls from back in the day. They are incredibly soft off of every club (just like their namesake), but especially felt great off the putter. Spin around the greens was very good, and into the greens with everything from 6I to PW was fine. To be honest, the only area I felt was deficient was distance off the driver and FW's. The ball just didn't seem to go as far as my normal gamer. Maybe it's the "lower compression" the Chrome Soft claims to sport; which I'm not sure I fully understand. Here's why..... solid balls (2 piece, 3 piece and some 4 piece), traditionally, didn't have compression, rather a solid core and layers. Compression was a term used to describe balls back in the day when a liquid core center and rubber windings were used as part of their internal construction. Once the "solid" ball came along, compression wasn't used to describe balls any longer. All of the sudden, it's back. How they "compress" a solid ball still escapes me. Anyhow, the Chrome Soft seemed to be about 10-15 yards shorter off the tee for me. That was determined on several holes where I purposely hit 2 drive, and nutted them both, to get a fair comparison. Every time the Chrome Soft was behind. Where I did see great improvement was with shots into the wind. I believe their dimple design is a major contributor to that. In the end, I feel it's a very, very good ball......one I would game if it weren't for the obvious loss in distance off the driver.
[/quote]

I bought a dozen Chrome Softs the other day and they gave me a trial 2 pack when I checked out. Put the 2 pack in play for 9 holes, switched back to the V1x on back 9. Took the dozen back to Galaxy the next day. The ball is significantly short off the long clubs.

Callaway 815 DBD w/ Speeder Motore 665 S at 45"
3w - TM R15 w/ Speeder 67S Evo
Hybrids - Titleist 913 Diamana Whiteboard S 17* + Callaway 815 w/ Speeder Motore 865 22*
Irons - Callaway XR Pro with PX 5.5, 5 - PW: -1/4" and 1* flat
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Wedges - Titleist TVDs 50* and 56*

Your 1st task, dear reviewers, is to let us know if the seam is smaller than the supersofts. Yes, the supersofts had a seam (that matched the hex pattern) where it was a little thicker than the rest of the edges of the hexs, but it was there. :)

Thanks!

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1423590340' post='10925325']
[/quote]

I played both back to back for the last 2 months. Never thought I'd play a 2 piece surlyn ball. Supersoft got me though. Love the balataness of it too much. Any ball played after the SS including the Chrome soft feels like a rock flite to me. I can get SS to stop well from 50 yards and out, anything inside of that and I have learned to play for the roll. And try like hell to not miss on the short side. Chrome soft does a lot real well though and I thought it might be the perfect ball for me but I score better with SS

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

I'm not a selected tester of this ball but have had a chance to play it. I work as an Assistant Professional in NC and am a Callaway Staffer. I play the SR2, of course I play all new balls that come out to give my customers my 2CW about them. That being said, here it is about the chrome soft without any monitor #'s:

[b]Driver[/b]: Seemed to come off flatter than normal for me, thus a little shorter. Feel was great though, better than performance here.
[b]Irons:[/b] Long through short, a definite butter feel, slightly higher trajectory w/ no significant yardage gain.
[b]Short Game:[/b] Spin is incredible for crisp shots in the 80-40 yd range. I felt in total control trying to hit it low and one hop and stop it. Sometimes a little to good.....IMO. Short shots, this ball out performed the SR2, again, could loft it or hit low and was very receptive. This is being done on dormant Mini Verde....which is a little more receptive this time of year, but if you are familiar with, you know how quick it is.
I agree with the other posts as far as feel off the putter face. I believe the church lady said it it best from SNL...like butter!

[/quote]

Sorry if I didn't see it but what is your current gamer?

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1423596094' post='10926049']
[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1423590340' post='10925325']
[/quote]

I played both back to back for the last 2 months. Never thought I'd play a 2 piece surlyn ball. Supersoft got me though. Love the balataness of it too much. Any ball played after the SS including the Chrome soft feels like a rock flite to me. I can get SS to stop well from 50 yards and out, anything inside of that and I have learned to play for the roll. And try like hell to not miss on the short side. Chrome soft does a lot real well though and I thought it might be the perfect ball for me but I score better with SS
[/quote]

Dang I could have written this! My thoughts exactly.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1423597752' post='10926211']

[/quote]

Sorry if I didn't see it but what is your current gamer?
[/quote]

Current gamer is ProV1x and the jury is out with respect to this year's model vs that of the past couple seasons. I have 3 dozen of the new and really like them thus far. I have to say, being Cally in every other part of my bag, except driver and putter, I really wanted to like this ball (and I do, but for the yardages). For additional reference, I'm currently a +2, have a driver swing speed of 106 (so average speed) and bought all these balls.

[quote name='ghsooner' timestamp='1423594788' post='10925887']

[/quote]

I bought a dozen Chrome Softs the other day and they gave me a trial 2 pack when I checked out. Put the 2 pack in play for 9 holes, switched back to the V1x on back 9. Took the dozen back to Galaxy the next day. The ball is significantly short off the long clubs.
[/quote]

Same here but I decide to give the remaining 3 sleeves to some buddies for them to try.

I just came back from playing pitch/chip shots with these and also spent some time at the putting green here at the closest course I live by. The practice facilities don't allow for full ball performance as you're not really chipping into a "green" you're just chipping into rough, and the greens are super super slow, so I can initially judge just by feel off the face. On pitches, I could really get an excellent feel for the ball and what it was doing, extremely soft off the face and distance wise about the same as my current Prov1x's and Lethals. I am really eager to put these in play in real course conditions and will update as soon as I can put these into real play. Feel off the putter is fantastic, very very similar to ProV1x's. Initially, the ball does what it says it does, soft feel at impact. I'm really wanting to see how these perform off the driver. I'm curious as to why so many are saying they're losing distance off the driver, would love to get Callaway's feedback on that as well. I'm kind of hoping I see opposite results as I know many have.

I was selected to be one of the testers. My thanks to Callaway and WRX for the opportunity. My balls showed up Monday but it rained all day so I could only carpet putt them. I am on vacation this week and have tee times Tuesday thru Saturday. I will play these Chrome soft balls all week or until they are gone.

First, a little about me. I am a 10 handicap. Driver swing speed varies from 102-110. I swing about 3* up on my driver and typically pick/sweep irons. Most of my extra strokes come from errant drives and chipping and putting. I normally play Pro V1 or B330 RXS balls in the Winter and Pro V1X or 330S balls in the Summer. The course conditions this week in GA are temps 40s and 50s, greens fairly soft, fairways dormant Bermuda cut short and wet to muddy. Playing 4 different courses three bent grass greens and one dormant Bermuda. I play forged cavity back irons, a milled face putter and tip stiff low spin woods.

Carpet putting on Monday I putted Pro V1s, RXSs and Chrome Soft. I noticed some difference in feel but more difference in the sound. Pro V made an audible click. RXS more subtle and the Chrome soft was very muted. If you've ever tried a Wilson Duo, it has a similar absence of sound, but not as extreme.
I'll admit that I like a firm feel off the putter. I don't like soft insert face putters and I did not like the Duo. I took up golf late in life and have not played Balata balls. I tend to prefer the harder urethane balls from all manufacturers. I do not generate a lot of spin chipping and need the extra spin from a urethane cover.

Played my first round with the CS today. I had a bad day and I'm sure it was not the Chrome Soft ball's fault. Initial impression was driver/long woods were shorter, irons 6-gap were at least half a club longer, chipping was similar and putting drove me nuts. Five 3-putts, many putts rolled well past the hole. I had a hard time getting used to the soft feel, lively ball and muted sound. I think I can get used to the softer feel and I will play these all week to see if the Chrome Soft grows on me. I am down to 10 balls, so they may not make it thru the end of the week. One real positive was the durability. None of the three balls I used showed any wear at all. The traps were like wet concrete with some standing water, muddy fairways etc but the balls showed zero wear. Initially I did not like the soft feel off the driver and putter, but I did like it with my irons. Iron shots felt like butter. Driver felt dead. Putter felt soft but the ball came off hot.

Later this week, I will look for opportunities to hit the Chrome Soft side by side with some other balls. I suspect the B-330 RXS will be a good ball to compare.
If you have any questions or anything you'd like me to try or discuss, let me know. I'll add something everyday until I've depleted the dozen demo balls.

One other note, I don't try to work the ball left or right unless I have to, but the Chrome Soft seemed to be pretty straight.

More to come-Charlie

J40 430/9.5/ahina70//Ping i25/AD-DI7S
TEE CB3/13*//Wishon 949mc/18*
Titleist 913H/D 23*/ Diamana S+ Blue 82
Mizuno MP-52/5-9/DGS300
Scratch raw metal 1018 D/S 47, 52, 56, 62
Ping Redwood Anser or TearDrop TD-20

So I played my home course this afternoon and my 12 year old son, Jack, and I pretty much had the place to ourselves. This allowed ample opportunity to not only play the Chrome Soft, but to also take the extra time to test it by re-hitting various shots around the course. I also compared it side by side with a Srixon XV and a Titleist Pro V1X. Also, Jack played the ball as well so I was able to watch his ball flight and shot shapes throughout the round. FWIW, he has a driver swing speed of 90 MPH and hits his 7 iron 130 carry.

My observations:
[b][u]FEEL:[/u][/b] [i]Soft. [/i]Big surprise, right? It is a strange feeling ball for sure and it is difficult to describe accurately. To me, the ball felt [i]light[/i]. As in, not heavy. It felt as though the ball stuck to the face only a fraction of the time a typical ball does. I'm sure this is not actually true, but that's how it felt to me.

Driver: When comparing to my usual choice of ball, the Chrome Soft launchers higher and with more spin. I do not have launch monitor numbers to support the higher spin rate, but I'm certain it is higher spinning than a Pro V1X or Srixon XV. In fact, on multiple holes I hit all three balls side by side. Downwind the Chrome Soft went the furthest, into the wind it was 15 yards behind the other two. And near the end of my round, the wind died down and I played two holes with no wind to speak of. The Chrome Soft was 5-10 yards behind the other two. Not a big deal by any means, but I did feel that my misses were bigger with the Chrome Soft due to the extra spin.

Irons: Not much of a difference that I could see with the exception of, again, the feel. The ball felt very soft, light, and again gave that sensation that it "popped" off the face the moment the iron touched it. Distance was identical to the others. If pressed, I'd say it launches a bit higher than the others. We have pretty firm greens especially in the afternoon at my home course and this ball bit hard with every iron i hit, including a 5 iron on one hole. No issues with the ball and iron play.

Wedges: The Chrome Soft spun just fine. Not more than the others, not less. On knockdowns it took one skip then stopped and on high shots with my 54 and 58, it backed up a little bit (typical for me).

Putter: Again, very soft off the face and muted. Almost too soft for me as without the audible feedback I'm used to, I felt like I struggled to control distance a little bit. It seemed as though I hit each putt a bit harder than I typically do, resulting in more roll-out than I was expecting. Granted, it wasn't a huge difference, but it was noticeable.

[b][u]DURABILITY:[/u][/b] The Chrome Soft was very durable, virtually unscathed by any of the wedge shots I hit throughout the round. I did drill a cart path on one of the holes and that scuffed it up a bit but that's to be expected.

[b][u]SHORT GAME:[/u][/b] This ball reacts to basic chip shots in a unique manner. I hit close to 100 chips today, 50 with the Chrome Soft, 50 with the XV and Pro V1X. The Chrome reacts differently than the other two in that it bites HARD on the initial landing, bounces almost straight up, then seems to have [i]top spin[/i], and releases to the pin. The other two balls skipped [i]forward[/i] then released to the pin. The only explanation I have for this is perhaps the cover material of the Chrome results in a higher launch off the club face, resulting in a steeper angle of descent into the green, causing it to bounce higher (giving the illusion that it is bouncing straight up). But as God as my witness, the ball behaves much differently on these chip shots. Even my son remarked, "It looks like it has top spin". Although I chipped just fine with the Chrome (even chipped in twice!), this would take some getting used to. My son puts a [i]ton [/i]of spin on his chip shots and he liked chipping with it.

I'll continue to play the ball for the next couple of weeks and update the thread with any new observations. Feel free to ask about anything I've left out.

[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.0*[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway Rogue 15*[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway X Hot Pro 23* [/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway Apex MB 5-PW[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Bridgestone J15 50*, 54*, 58*[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Taylormade Spider Tour Red[/color][/font]

I was selected as a tester and the balls came in yesterday, unfortunately I won't have a chance to play with them till next week ( it's February and Valentine's Day, gotta take the old lady out of the cold and to the beaches of puert Rico). I'm super excited though and will post putting, chipping, irons, and wood reviews.

I was able to get out and play sooner than expected!!! This round was all about getting a quick initial impression. The course was busy and I was in a foursome so I was unable to hit multiple balls in order to compare the ProV1 and the CS side by side. My goal is to be able to do that on Thursday along with some work in the putting and chipping areas. The course was very wet from heavy rains the previous day and there was a good bit of wind as well.

I'll start like most folks have and talk about the feel. Its FANTASTIC!!!! The ball felt soft yet explosive to me. At my swing speed (see my first post in this thread to learn about my game) the feeling was just so right. I was able to feel my mishits (heel/toe/high or low on the face) without question. The Bridgestone RXS is a ball I have tried in the past and it has always felt too soft or mushy to me and I just never was able to get comfortable with it. For those who have tried the Bridgestone RXS and felt it was too soft or mushy feeling I would recommend trying the Chrome Soft. Best feeling ball off the club face of anything I can remember playing.

Driver: Given the soft course conditions I felt the ball was on par with my current ball(ProV1) from the tee. I am a player that needs a bit of extra spin across the board and did not see any evidence of decreased distance based upon where I was hitting my second shots from. I flared 2 tee balls over the course of the round and actually found the ball was further down the right side than I thought and not as far off line as I thought once I got to the ball. Performance into the wind was solid. The ball held its line into several 2 club winds.

Irons: While others have been seeing some increases with the irons that was not my initial impression. I chose my clubs based upon my normal distances and found myself pretty close to the distance I expected. There was definitely not a feeling of being a half club longer or shorter. I am going to get out with my launch monitor over the course of my testing and see if there is any measurable difference on initial ball speed vs the ProV1. First impression is no better and no worse with the irons, hybrids or FW. Feel was again just the right balance of soft yet responsive.

Wedges/Short irons: I was able to really control the ball with my wedges. I hit several knockdowns into the wind and the results were very predictable, I was able to really get aggressive with these shots given the soft greens and the ball just hit and stuck like velcro. I hit a knockdown 6 iron into a 2 club wind on 18 and I thought for sure it was going to roll past the flag to the back of the green because I hit it lower than intended and this ball just hit went 5 feet forward and stopped dead!! Spin into the greens was very consistent given the fact that they were wet. I don't want to make any claims of more or less spin at this point but consistency of the spin was there. Feel...you guessed it just right.

Putting: On the greens my initial impression is disappointment. This ball is hot of the putter. I found myself waaaay past the hole on too many putts 12 feet and in and I also felt on a few long ones that I killed it and they went the right distance?!? The ball really had me guessing on the greens and I just never got a feel for it over the course of the round.

In terms of score I played to my handicap so no scoring advantage or disadvantage after the initial round.

Summarizing my first round: Driver and Iron distance seemed on par with ProV1 (feel is exceptional and I just kept saying that over and over during the course of the round), spin into the greens was consistent and I was able to flight the ball down with ease. Putting was difficult and just never gained any confidence on the greens.

I'm going to go out and hit em again on Thursday and try to get some side by side comparison to my normal ball.

First off thanks to GolfWRX and Callaway for the opportunity. Here is a little background information on my game first for those who might be similar so they can judge the performance of the ball in relation to my game.
Residence: McKinney, TX just north of Dallas
Former D1 FB player (DB)
Handicap: 5.5
Driver Swing Speed: 104-105 average
My “gamer” ball is the Bridgestone B330S. For years I played the Pro V1x but went through a couple ball fittings (one from Bridgestone, and another at the PGA Tour Superstore-I didn’t believe the Bridgestone fitting but in fact it was dead on with the one at PGA) Anyway both fittings recommended the B330 as it had a very slightly higher ball speed and a tad less spin than the Pro V1x, so I switched, probably from just a “had to be different” scenario but more realistically they were a few bucks cheaper. I’ve always hit the driver a long way but have struggled with high spin numbers so I’ve “ho’d” a few drivers (and everything else) in my lifetime but had been playing a Titleist 913D2 with a Fujikura Fuel 70 shaft and had great success with it. Now I’m gaming a BB Alpha with that same Fuji Shaft and it’s a bit longer given the lower spin numbers.
Now we have that behind us let’s look at the ball performance:

[b]Putting:[/b] I took out three different putters to test on the green. One was an Odyssey PT11, a Scotty Newport 2, and an Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1 Wide. First the Tank Cruiser: In a putting comparison the B330S and the Chrome Soft each rolled smoothly and didn’t notice any difference in either losing or gaining any distance on long putts, they simply were equal in that regard. The one thing I did notice was the feel; it was a little tougher discerning a real difference between the two balls with an insert putter, they essentially felt pretty close but maybe the Chrome Soft did feel a little softer (but not much) My son felt he could definitely tell the difference but he’s a kid and what does he know anyway. So after hitting putts with the two steel putters I can tell you that again both balls performed identically on the green but this time I could definitely tell the difference in feel. I switched to the B330S simply because I didn’t lose any real distance from the B330 and it felt better, but I will say the Chrome Soft definitely has a softer feel than the B330S.

[b]Driving: [/b]Here is where I began to notice the differences in the two. The B330S always seemed to launch well and jump off the driver face and give a good trajectory without being too high or spinning too much, whereas the Chrome Soft definitely had a lower ball flight. In terms of feel, this is one of the big differences between the two; the Chrome Soft [i]definitely[/i] was the softer of the two. I never thought I’d say the B330S felt clicky but it did in this comparison. Regarding distance, about half my normal tee shots were slightly longer I was hitting at least 1 club less into the greens but is this due to the ball? Not sure yet because there were too many other factors involved (no wind, varying fairway conditions) I’ll update with more findings later

[b]Wind[/b] – TBD, it wasn’t windy (I didn’t believe it either) during this round but here in North TX, it won’t last long.

[b]Irons: [/b]The ball “feels” better than my B330S, but I didn’t notice any real distance gains. Almost all of my full shots landed and stopped within 12” of the pitch mark so they definitely dropped and stopped. Will update more after another round.

[b]Wedges: [/b] I broke this down into two areas: Full shots and chips/pitches
Chips/Pitches – By playing the B330S for 3+ years, I know how to hit it to make it check and how to get it to release, this was no different in my round with both balls. I did have a little harder time making the Chrome Soft release on some shots as it checked up on me. I attribute this to no experience with this ball. As for feel, you can definitely tell the difference between these balls on partial shots, does the Chrome Soft spin more? I can’t answer that without another round/two with it.
Full Shots – I hit all these shots with a Callaway MD2 Tour Grind. Feel-the Chrome Soft definitely feels better on full wedge shots as well, great feel. Distance was pretty close but the Chrome Soft felt like it went farther off the clubface, it didn’t but sure felt like it went farther. I found also that all shots hit from the Chrome Soft were less than 12” from their pitch marks so definitely it’s a drop and stop kind of ball. I didn’t hit any shots that hit and backed up as if a string were attached.

[b]Update[/b] – I brought out my X Forged 58, with original MD grooves and wanted to do a durability test. After hitting the Chrome Soft in a variety of shots (full hacks, with square and open faces) I can tell you that after a dozen or so full swings, I didn’t notice ANY shred marks on this cover so kudos to Callaway for cover durability.

I'll have another update after my next round.

Hello all! Really grateful for this opportunity, hopefully my review helps a few golfers out there. First a quick bit about my game. Currently play to an index of 9. Avg driver SS is 97 mph, 85 mph w/ a 6 iron. From the GC2 at the indoor range I practice at, I average around 235 yards of carry, and 261 yards of total distance. I carry my 6 iron on average around 175. The strongest area of my game would be accuracy off the tee, as well as shots from 85-100 yards. My pitching and chipping is okay, but not spectacular, and my weakest point is definitely putting and lack of distance. In my bag I currently game:

SLDR 430 12* lofted down one spot, 6m3 Black Tie Stiff
Adams Super S 17*, Matrix Kujoh Stiff
Adams Super Dhy 21*, Project X HD2 6.0
Cally BB Alpha 815 23*, Speeder 865 Stiff
SLDR Irons 5-AW, KBS C-Taper 90 Stiff
Nike X3X Toe Sweep 58*, DG Wedge Shaft
TM Spider Mallet 2.0, 35"

Previous Gamer Ball: ProV1x, RZN Black, Kick X Tour-Z (yes, really hahaha)

Now, a few days before I found out I'd been chosen, I bought a sleeve of these to try them out. I went and played a shorter/narrower course by my house where I knew all my distances like the back of my hand. The one fatal mistake I made however, was not practice putting with this ball. I loved every single aspect about it that day except for how it was reacting off my putter. It would just jump off the face, and more often than not, I would think I'd left it a little short or right on, only to look up and see it 5 feet past. I finished the day with 39 putts. I didn't want to give up on the ball and have a negative impression of it before I got the test dozen, so I dedicated a few days to some putting practice, as well as shots from 60 yards and in. A few days later, I went to play again. This time at a longer, links style course with firm greens and occasional gusts. I thought this would be the perfect course to test all the things that this ball is promoting: straight, flat trajectory, short game control, and strong flight windy conditions. After getting some time on the greens before teeing off, I ended up shooting my round of the year, a 78 from the back tees, where I had never shot better than an 82 (and that was in complete calm conditions). The kicker? I had 29 putts. I hadn't finished a round with less than 30 putts in I don't know how long. I hit 9/14 fairways, with two of the misses being less than a yard or two off the fairway. I hit 8/18 greens, which isn't spectacular, but the extra short game practice time with this ball paid off, because it was money around and on the greens for me that day. When I missed a green, I left all but 3 of my chips within kick in range. Every time it was a small hop, check, and then slowly roll up to the hole. My speed and distance control around the greens was on point. I typically am the type of putter who likes to die putts into the hole, and once I acclimated to this ball's reaction off the face, it was the perfect ball for that kind of putting. Even on uphill putts, I never felt like I had to ram the putts and risk making a speedy/hitty stroke.

I had the course pretty much to myself, and ended up playing a match play between the Chrome Soft, and a ProV1. I know this isn't supposed to be a comparison post, so I won't go into details about it, except to say that the CS was consistently longer throughout the entire bag than the ProV1, and, to my eye, performed identically to the ProV around the greens. I could happily, and WILL happily, game this for the rest of the year.

That is one thing I will say about this ball, you kind of have to commit to gaming it and using it excusively, in my opinion. I think, for me, the feel is so different from what I normally play, that if I switched to another ball during a round, or even between rounds, it might mess me up short game wise. I noticed this a little bit during my "match play," because while I only had 29 putts with the CS, I had 36 with the ProV. No 3-putts with the CS, 4 3-putts with the ProV. My speed with the ProV was so inconsistent when coming from the CS.

Overall, I'll post another update on here after I've had at least five rounds with the CS under the belt. I will say, I get great numbers off the driver with this ball. According to the GC2 at the indoor range where I practice, I'm averaging about 1900 rpm's backspin and a 13* launch. I don't remember what launch angles I was getting with the ProV's or any of my other gaming balls, but on the course, I noticed the ProV looked like it had a higher overall peak height, with a little more curve in it, while the CS's trajectory was flatter and straighter, which probably explains the extra distance. This is a great ball that performs, you just have to spend a bit of time with it.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

Played with them today, I normally play the prov1x.

Being used to the harder feeling ball I could not get used to these. I didn't have any distance loss, for me it was the short game, it felt like I was playing with a tennis ball around the greens.

I don't mean this in a negative way, I just know what the proV is going to do, distance control with putter and wedge was a little off.

I think it's a good ball for the money.

I know I can certainly get past the "muted" sound. I had my wife putt with them blind and she could absolutely tell the difference between the two, and she's not even a golfer, which tells me to someone who's picky about the ball they play, it might be hard for them to get past the short game on these and even give them a chance in their long game, but that's where I'm interested in them the most. I will update when I take them to play. I love the higher launch they give me around the greens, and I'm in agreement with 1david5's post on the ball's cover possibly causing that "higher launch" and steeper descent. It's actually making the Prov1x look bad for me, I find everything about the ball pleasing when it comes to around the greens.