How much does the seam matter on a balls proformance.

deetsaldeetsal deetsalMembers Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
I am a bit neurotic about the seam on the balls that I play. My fav. is the wilson fg tour and also maxfli u4.

Comments

• SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,240 ClubWRX
    deetsal wrote:

I am a bit neurotic about the seam on the balls that I play. My fav. is the wilson fg tour and also maxfli u4.

That's the operative word. It's not a big deal unless you make it.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • deetsaldeetsal deetsal Members Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    Socrates wrote:

deetsal wrote:

I like order and sementry. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,853 ✭✭
    Back in the day of wound golf balls, supposedly hitting them on the seam was a huge performance boost. That was eventually debunked, but if you think it gives you an edge, maybe it will.
    farmer wrote:

Back in the day of wound golf balls, supposedly hitting them on the seam was a huge performance boost. That was eventually debunked, but if you think it gives you an edge, maybe it will.
    It will make my ball go dead staright, high and very far, did I mention very straight? Just think of what could have been, I could have been somebody! 90% mental right. Thanks, Ray
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,240 ClubWRX
    deetsal wrote:

Socrates wrote:

deetsal wrote:

I like order and sementry. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Not sure how to take that? I sure hope you mean symmetry because otherwise I'd refer you to the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • pierso2pierso2 Shooters Shoot Members Posts: 2,605 ✭✭
    Guia wrote:

No effect.

Big effect! The seam is less aerodynamic and therefore changes how the ball flies. If it had no effect then why would Pro-V1 have the seam almost eliminated on newer models as opposed to older generations? The seam can cause a difference in trajectory and overall distance.
    Option 1
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
    Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
    Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
    Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
    Adams MB2 GW
    Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
    Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
    Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
    Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
    16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
    Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
    Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
    Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
    Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2
    pierso2 wrote:

Guia wrote:

No effect.

Big effect! The seam is less aerodynamic and therefore changes how the ball flies. If it had no effect then why would Pro-V1 have the seam almost eliminated on newer models as opposed to older generations? The seam can cause a difference in trajectory and overall distance.
    So how should you line up the seam?
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,315 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2015 #10
    Ideally a ball would have 100% dimple coverage. Seamless golf balls came about with updated manufacturing technologies. Old tech style simply allowed two equal cover halves to be molded together thus leaving a bit of cover edges exposed (the seam). New technology allows the cover halves to be molded so the dimples are in a zig-zag pattern. Thus when the two halves are molded together the seam is greatly lessened or eliminated altogether. This allows the designers more freedom in dimple design knowing there will be less "dead space" on the ball.
    pierso2 wrote:

Guia wrote:

No effect.

The ball would never have passed the USGA testing if that were true. People in the past thought they could hit it farther if they "seamed" it, but it was all anecdotal and never substantiated in any test I know of. The elimination of the seam is due to better manufacturing techniques.
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,315 ✭✭
    edited Feb 11, 2015 #12
    Socrates wrote:

pierso2 wrote:

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1423529033' post

='10920769']

No effect.

The ball would never have passed the USGA testing if that were true. People in the past thought they could hit it farther if they "seamed" it, but it was all anecdotal and never substantiated in any test I know of. The elimination of the seam is due to better manufacturing techniques.

[/quote]

That's correct. If you look at the first model Prov1 ball there was a slightly different flight pattern if you hit the ball with the seam in a north/south alignment versus an east/west alignment. Evidently the USGA didn't catch this prior to approving the ball. Titleist quickly modified the ball and marked it with different side stamps and got it approved. If my memory is correct the USGA grandfathered the first edition balls figuring they would quickly work themselves out of circulation. I always thought some sort of back room deal was made between the parties so neither ended up with egg on their face. I still have a few of these balls at home.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    Like I said, no effect. Eliminated by modern technology, just about every ball manufactured now have practically no discernible seam.
  • Smiley_FaceSmiley_Face Members Posts: 233 ✭✭
    The golf ball now is excellent. In the old days, you hoped it was still semi-round!
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Members Posts: 5,117 ✭✭
    Guia wrote:

Like I said, no effect. Eliminated by modern technology, just about every ball manufactured now have practically no discernible seam.

I think you're right, but why does every pro take such care to mark their ball on the green, then line up their ball for their putts according to the alignment mark? Is it just a mental thing?
  • QEightQEight FinlandMembers Posts: 3,427 ✭✭
    deetsal wrote:
    It will make my ball go dead staright, high and very far, did I mention very straight?

Actually, you did not mention straight.
    Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2
    Titleist 910f 3W
    Callaway XHot hybrid
    Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Tri-Ball SRT
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,121 ✭✭
    edited Feb 11, 2015 #17

but why does every pro take such care to mark their ball on the green, then line up their ball for their putts according to the alignment mark? Is it just a mental thing?

To help them hit the putt on the desired line. Purely an alignment aid for the stroke.
  • johnstitchjohnstitch Members Posts: 1,202 ✭✭
    From 36 years of playing Golf not a jot of difference. A Baseball or Cricket ball yes. A modern Golf ball nope.