Golf Digest Hot List Testing (Balls) - My Experience as a Tester

2»

Comments

• Mr. WolfeMr. Wolfe Members Posts: 464 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2015 #32
    Wow, what a great story and experience that you will have forever. I am going to give the Gamers another try I think. The main reason I have a problem with the Kick X Tour-Z is the huge colorful "X" logo they put on it. Is that logo on all of them?

TourzBall.jpg

Mr. Wolfe
  • Agent JimAgent Jim Members Posts: 2,804
    I think I might need to follow the same regime on a few practice days.
    TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
    TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
    Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
    PING G25 4-UW CFS
    Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
    Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
    WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,363 ✭✭
    OrlandoVol wrote:

Each of the 10 testers hit 3 each of 54 balls = 10 x 162 = 1,620 balls!

Please don't take this personally, don't mean to be a troll, but how can someone make judgements after hitting a ball only 3 shots? Wouldn't a persons opinion be heavily influenced by whether or not they flushed those shots? Seems to me you would need three rounds with a ball, not shots, before you can truly learn to detect the nuances in the product.
    Ping G400 driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • cz13X4cz13X4 Members Posts: 5,635 ✭✭
    did they have snell balls?
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,337 ✭✭
    So, which ball goes the farthest?

Just kidding. Thanks for sharing your experience!
    Boyhood, like measles, is one of those complaints which a man should catch young and have done with it, for when it comes in middle life it is apt to be serious. - P. G. Wodehouse
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.
  • LFreeemanLFreeeman Members Posts: 267 ✭✭
    Very cool, thanks for sharing!
  • OrlandoVolOrlandoVol Members Posts: 111 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2015 #38
    Nessism wrote:

OrlandoVol wrote:

Each of the 10 testers hit 3 each of 54 balls = 10 x 162 = 1,620 balls!

Please don't take this personally, don't mean to be a troll, but how can someone make judgements after hitting a ball only 3 shots? Wouldn't a persons opinion be heavily influenced by whether or not they flushed those shots? Seems to me you would need three rounds with a ball, not shots, before you can truly learn to detect the nuances in the product.

Well, each ball was hit 3 times with a full iron (150), 3 times from 70 yards, and then usually chipped 3 times and flopped 3 times around the green.

Based on what I saw and after talking with the other testers, our handicaps ranged from +3 to 3... My index is a 2. There weren't a ton of "bad" shots hit, as I recall I maybe hit 10 shots fat and bladed maybe 5 wedges over the course of 3 days. When I did I didn't penalize the ball. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Being able to hit these shots into an actual green/pin as a target - is much better than just hitting them on a driving range. We were able to feel them off the clubface, see the trajectory, notice how the wind affected it's flight and how it spun on the greens. -- A lot of data can be pulled from this method.

Sure, the differences between the balls (in each category) is minute -- when you are hitting say a Taylormade Tour Preferred and a ProV1 -- but sometimes due to the random nature you might be hitting a ProV1 vs a Pinnacle.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Titleist 915D2 10.5
    Titleist 915Fd 15
    Titleist 712U 3i
    Titleist 716 AP2
    Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.6
  • OrlandoVolOrlandoVol Members Posts: 111 ✭✭
    I have edited a few of my earlier posts, as after looking back at them -- I don't want to affect the results or give any kind of recommendation, that could appear as a vote of confidence or a negative review of a specific ball.
    Titleist 915D2 10.5
    Titleist 915Fd 15
    Titleist 712U 3i
    Titleist 716 AP2
    Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.6
  • mpghousempghouse Members Posts: 260
    only sub 5 index? What about for us mis-hitters?!?! lol
  • noGIRsnoGIRs Members Posts: 354
    j_king wrote:

Did they do any testing on trackman to get spin numbers? I always look forward to that spin chart they have come out with the past couple of years.

My guess would be they would use a robot swing arm in a separate test to get these numbers so it is a consistent strike on the ball. I like the spin chart too! Hope to see one again
    PING G30 10.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto stiff shaft
    Nike Covert Tour 5W
    Taylormade Tour Preferred UDI #2 Iron
    Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 4-A Irons
    Titleist Vokey SM4 56*; Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 60*
    Odyssey Big T V-Line putter
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 15,061 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2015 #42
    Interesting stuff Orlando. Glad you had a great time.

Thanks for posting how the tests are done.

Most of us are pretty closed minded when it comes

to balls, lol. Titleist banks on it.

Looking forward to the results on the Chrome Soft.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • jtmagicjtmagic TexasMembers Posts: 878 ✭✭
    Nice write-up and comments.
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Members Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Thanks for showing us the process GD uses and the pictures. It is interesting in a mostly blind test (I know the dimples may give it away) to learn that some balls that are dismissed because they are inexpensive can really shine. A ball like the Top-Flite Gamer is a 3 piece quality ball that comes in Surlyn, Surlyn Soft, an Urethene covers that is sold basically at a wholesale price. I am not a tour ball golfer but I would like to see where some of the other direct to consumer balls like MG or KickX wind up in the ratings (if they were tested).

Great job sharing this with us!