Taylormade TP Red LDP vs. Pro V-1X

wakenwae

I played today at a course near the house with the TP Red LDP that I gave myself for my birthday. The round started out shaky but then I stopped swaying over the ball and things came together very well. I normally play the Pro V-1X since it's inception and have dallied with other balls only to come back to the King, the X. I played both balls off and on over the round and found the LDP to be a great surprise. Distance was great and the spin was just about right, and the putting was OK, probably more a case of some shaggy greens than the ball. Durability was very good and I was very pleased both with the ball and the score.

I probably hit the LDP on 11-13 holes and everything worked out great in comparison to the X. My question is this "Is this a head to head competitor with the X"? "Better than the X?" . I would be interested in your experience with the LDP over the longer run than just the one round that I've put in with it. Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play both the V1x and TP Red and I find the Reds to be just as good if not better.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

the new TP Reds and TP Blacks are amazing balls, in my experience they have been better all around than the prov1 or the prov1x. the tp red is just brilliant in the wind, never balloons, has a nice soft feel, is more durable than the prov's, and the spin, even though it's supposed to be lower than tp black, is still plenty enough to hold firm greens, and it's 5-10 bucks cheaper per dozen than the prov.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

just a little follow up, i played a round today with my buddy with a fresh dozen of tp reds, it wasn't really super windy, just a bit breezy, but every once in a while there would be a bit of a gust here and there, 11th hole is a long par 4 with ob left and deep rough and bunkers on right, dead into the wind, and the ball just pierced right through the wind straight up the gut, checked my yardage and found out that i had driven it 269, into the wind. i also had 2 300+ yd drives today, and i've only done that once before and it was off an elevated tee. TM has definitely got some winners here.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

Been playing the TM Red LDP for about 3-4 months now and I have used prov1 and prov1xs as well as the new Callaway iX and the LDP is the bomb in all the department. It is a great wind ball, doesn't balloon, pretty long for my SS off the driver and irons (the iX is actually a tad longer imo but feels like a rock on the iron and putting) and is a super ball with the irons and putting. It's my skins ball for sure, giving me that extra yardage while not having a crazy spin on it.

I have to say the cover is super as well, been using the new Bobby Jones wedges on it and it's not scuffed, hit cart path and it holds up really well, unlike the iX that sheds into the cream underlayer as soon as it hits concrete...

All around

1. TM red

2. Prov1x

3. iX

4. Prov1

Scramble ball

1. iX

2. TM red

3. Prov1x

4. Prov1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Here is my take after spending a lot of time testing these balls head to head.

The 08 TP Red is ball unlike anything on the market right now. That doesn't automatically make it the best, it just makes it different. However, if it fits your game as well as it fits mine then I would have to say it is the best ball, you know what I mean?

I played the V1x for the past few years, mainly cause Titleist said it was the "low spin" ball of the two (you may notice they don't really market it that way anymore, now that say its the "longer ball"). However, I always found the V1x to have a bit too much spin on full short iron shots for me, always felt a bit hard but was always longest off the tee. It is the "#1 ball in golf", so it must be best for me, therefore I never looked elsewhere.

At the end of last season the pro at my club handed me a sleeve of the the TM Red LDP prototype ball and explained it was a true "low spin" ball. I tried it and really liked it and was really looking forward to putting it to the test this year.

After putting it head to head against my trusty V1x and V1, ix and 08 NOB, it was obvious the new TP Red was the ball for me! Here is the simple list of why its my new ball when compared against the V1x:

1. It spins less on full short iron shots (I spin the ball a lot, but struggle to control it, this ball handled that for me)

2. It is as long if not a touch longer of the tee

3. It is much softer, maybe as soft as the V1

4. I can control it with long irons just the same

5. Simply does not balloon in the wind or when I chase it hard for extra distance

Compared to the others the ix was the next closet ball, but it just feels like a rock off of every club to me. Against the NOB I feel the Red is softer, longer and spins less, which again for me low spin is good.

Finally on a closing note, for me TM has created a complete golfball "system." Meaning the Red and the Black play similar enough that I can interchange them based on course or season conditions. The Red is my "always ball" but the Black is a bit longer, higher and has a little more spin (close to the V1x in my opinion). Therefore on hard greens if I need more spin I can go Black, or in scrambles if I want a high launch long bomb the Black works there too.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

G-Bone

That's very interesting experience that you have there and appreciated. I did hit a couple of Reds out of the rough, driver was misbehaving, and was surprised that I had some darts when the ball hit the green. That could have been because the green were a little shaggy and slow but the result was impressive. I ended up with two bogeys and two birdies for a even round that could have gone lower if I would have putted better on some slow greens, maybe one or two more could have dropped.

I am really interested in working with this Red and am going to give a dozen to my golf buddy who also plays the X but will usually ended with 15-20 sub par rounds for the summer. His experience will be great to get also. Thanks and you have a cool pic on your signature!!!

The Black definitely has more spin. One of my playing partners has made the Black his full time ball because he loved the extra spin and distance.

It is hard to say that the Red an Black line up perfectly against the V1 and V1x. Here's why, the Red is low spin like the V1x but it is soft like the V1, and the Black is higher spin like the V1 but it is harder like the V1x.

Hope this helps! ;)

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I went and picked up a box of the Red LDP's before a windy west Texas round yesterday. I have been playing the V1x's for the last couple of years. I was very impressed with the TP ball, and will continue to experiment with it this summer. I hit a couple of drives dead into the wind and was very impressed with the distance. One of the reasons I decided to give the TP red a try was the ballooning effect I was getting with my V1x's into a strong wind. I would have to say that my early impression is that the TP Red is a winner in this category.

Second, every shot I hit into the greens dropped, stopped, and was very consistent and predictable. My 75 yard wedge shot was sitting about 2 feet behind the divot and it was consistent throughout the round. My one complaint with the V1x's was the unpredictability of the spin (which is very likely a result of my inconsistent game (I'm aware it is the archer and not the arrow)). However, I have always hit the ball very high, and have good club/ball speed and the TP Red was very predictable and consistent.

In short, the TP Red LDP is worth trying if you are looking for a low spin ball off the tee (low trajectory), but a soft ball around the greens. I expect that it may be my new ball of choice over the V1x.

Very interesting posts and comments about the TM TP Red/Black balls. I am a long time ProV1/V1x user, but am going to switch to something cheaper and more durable. I lately have been mixing in iX, but I will have to try these TP Reds. :friends:

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black