It just plain stinking WORKS

Hidalgo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1424220036' post='10974567']
I am willing to bet that one could take any golfer on this site and perform a blind test with various premium balls, resulting in the golfer not being able to reliably predict which ball he is hitting with any sort of scientifically valid correlation. There's a reason that drug trials are performed blindly.
[/quote]

I agree that maybe you couldn't determine which brand/model of ball it was you were hitting. But I do think you can determine a difference between the random balls and decide which ball gives you better results.

[quote name='rgk5' timestamp='1424216758' post='10974139']
Call it a preconceived notion or just plain confidence, the idea that a particular ball is the best for you is powerfully addictive, so I agree with Hidalgo's premise as it relates to HIM. I feel the same way about the Srixon Z Star even though [b]being in the business affords me plenty of free balls from all the major manufacturers.[/b]
[/quote]

If you're ever looking for a place to unload some of them, I know a guy in the Northern parts of Illinois who might be interested. I'll have his people talk to your people and they can hash out the details.

[quote name='BCC' timestamp='1424225077' post='10975251']
Long time ProV1 user here. Actually really liked the TM TP5 also, but that lasted a whole year till they stopped producing them. Back to the ProV1 for me !!
[/quote]

Long live the TP5 my man! I bought a dozen dozen of them towards the end of 2013 I think and I still have a few dozen left over. Not because I don't lose them, but because I always wanted to try something new or whatever. I really, really liked the TP5, even though I did find it to be a little short compared to some of the others without any added benefit around the greens.

I never tried the Lethal which I know is sacrilege around these parts, but I did play the TP and the TPX a little bit towards the end of last year and liked them as well.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

I love the Pro V, but I'm not that great of a player to justify the price tag on the ball. That being said...I will take an extra few minutes on the tight driving holes to look in the trees for some. One round I found 10 Pro V1s and V1x's that I cleaned up and used for awhile. Not like a brand-new one out of the box, but good enough for a mid-capper.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

I've had a similar experience with the B330 also. I'm currently playing the Nike RZN Black just to mix things up, and its a similar golf ball in my opinion. The problem is it just doesn't have the same "crunchy" compression I enjoy off the irons and doesn't react as expected around the greens.

I play the Lethal. I've tried other balls even scored well with other balls. But I've played the Lethal for too many seasons and the ability to stand over the ball and know what is going to do it too valuable to make the change at this time. It's one less thing to think about!

I originally picked the Lethal because it's what I felt the most comfortable with putting and around the greens.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Titleist TSR3 8* - Ventus Black TR 6X

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* - Tour AD VR 7X

Callaway UW 19* - Ventus Red 7X

Callaway X Forged UT 20* - LA Golf A 85X

Callaway Apex '21 5-PW - TT ETS 115 X

Titleist SM9 50* & 54* - DG S200

TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - KBS Hi Rev 115 S

EVNROLL ER5B - Stability Tour Black

One of the main problems with trying other balls is the simple fact that they change them every year or two. Cally and TM tend to make a very similar ball and call it something different. Nonetheless it's always changing. I personally do not play Titleist, however, I understand why alot of people do. They are going to make minor adjustments to a ball that performs well and keep the same name on their product. It's something everyone will know and recognize. That's what some of these other ball makers need to evaluate. Whenever the next and greatest ball comes out from company X, it will be gone within a few years and you will be stuck trying another ball. It's a vicious cycle. I go through it myself every couple of years.

M1 440 9.5* Rogue Silver 60X
Epic 15* Rogue Silver 70S
Titleist D.I. 18* CTaper 130x
Apex MB KBS CTaper 120s (hs)
Cleveland RTX 2.0 53*/ 58*
Scotty Cameron Fastback
TP5

After spending a total of five hours last year experimenting with premium balls from 100 yards and in at our short game practice area, the Pro V1x came out on top, which surprised me. On full shots it also came out on top, which surprised me further.

That said, our golf course is extremely tight, i.e., you either put it in the fairway or you end up OB or in a hazard (with only a few exceptions). Therefore, it's a ball I only play when I visit other golf courses.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1424266348' post='10977115']
I am willing to bet that one could take any golfer on this site and perform a blind test with various premium balls, resulting in the golfer not being able to reliably predict which ball he is hitting with any sort of scientifically valid correlation. There's a reason that drug trials are performed blindly.
[/quote]

I agree that maybe you couldn't determine which brand/model of ball it was you were hitting. But I do think you can determine a difference between the random balls and decide which ball gives you better results.
[/quote]

When I put a different model/brand of ball into play for 3 entire rounds and every one of my iron shots come up 5-7 yards short, I'd say that qualifies as a "scientifically valid correlation" ......... whatever that means.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

I have no doubt about the OP claims. I performed my own ball test a few years ago outdoors for a few hours on a sod farm and hit several different "premium" urethane cover balls. Both the Pro-V1 and V1X stood out with the V1 being the best ball for me. Having said that I switched to the MG Tour C4 last year because I couldn't resist the price and I couldn't tell the difference in performance from the V1 or V1X. I plan to do another field test after it warms up. I won't do it in cool weather because I already have my winter ball (Callaway Supersoft) which I've played the last couple of years.

I'd hate to have to go back to the V1 or V1X because I hate the price but if it means another several yards (driving or irons) I'll have to ditch the MG ball.

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1424379894' post='10986941']
[/quote]

[/quote]

When I put a different model/brand of ball into play for 3 entire rounds and every one of my iron shots come up 5-7 yards short, I'd say that qualifies as a "scientifically valid correlation" ......... whatever that means.
[/quote]

It actually doesn't follow the scientific method, Hidalgo. Sorry. There's a reason experiments are blind. This is how Golf Digest evaluates golf balls. The psyche does damaging things without our permission. Play what you want, but being mad at people for asking how you reached your conclusion is silly.

[quote name='DaveyGolf' timestamp='1424562444' post='11000371']
[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1424379894' post='10986941']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It actually doesn't follow the scientific method, Hidalgo. Sorry. There's a reason experiments are blind. This is how Golf Digest evaluates golf balls. The psyche does damaging things without our permission. Play what you want, but being mad at people for asking how you reached your conclusion is silly.
[/quote]

LOL ....... Why do you keep insinuating that I'm mad?

Rest assured .......... I'm not mad. AMUSED might be the correct term.

TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58

[quote name='DaveyGolf' timestamp='1424564046' post='11000497']
Read back over your replies through this thread, and you'll see where several of us got that idea.
[/quote]

Personally, I could care less. I'm here to add knowledge to those threads that I can be of help to, and to gain from those that interest me. Other than that ...............?

TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58

You asked me is why, so telling me you don't care is silly. What educational value are you adding? You like a golf ball. You played some others. You went back to yours. People were commenting on how you could know for sure if it was the ball or the psyche, and you belittled their input. the ProV1 may be the very best ball to suit your game, no one can doubt that is a very real possibility, but as a golfer I like finding out what really works, especially when the price of many comparable balls is a dollar cheaper per ball.

[quote name='Warrick' timestamp='1424183366' post='10970161']
Personally. I made the change to TM Tour Preferred X last season, and have never looked back. I played the Pro V1x exclusively for years. I have about 7 dozen sitting on the shelf, so no plans to return anytime soon.
[/quote]

I started playing the Tour Preferred X recently and it is a great ball. I prefer the Pro V1x over the Pro V1, and I'm starting to think the Tour Preferred X is a better ball than the Pro V1x.

[quote name='DaveyGolf' timestamp='1424565222' post='11000607']
You asked me is why, so telling me you don't care is silly. What educational value are you adding? You like a golf ball. You played some others. You went back to yours. People were commenting on how you could know for sure if it was the ball or the psyche, and you belittled their input. the ProV1 may be the very best ball to suit your game, no one can doubt that is a very real possibility, but as a golfer I like finding out what really works, especially when the price of many comparable balls is a dollar cheaper per ball.
[/quote]
I don't think you are correct here. The post stated that the OP couldn't tell the difference between several balls listed and then you guys go on about how this post is not justified. What you are doing here Daveygolf is crazy on an equipment forum. The fact that Pro V1x works best for the OP is not for anyone to decide but the OP. How he comes up with the logic is irrelevant. It is exactly the same as every other piece of equipment.... If I say a set of nike covert irons suit me best do I have to do a blind test as well? Like any equipment there are several factors that make a ball work for you, maybe its launch monitors, maybe its feel, maybe its consistancy and forgiveness....the fact that you are question the OP isn't related to the actual post. The post is about reverting back to previously used equipment after trying several other options. Sure this forum is full of opinions, but its about sharing what works for you and discussing idea's, not dissing other opinions because it doesn't line up with your opinion.

[quote name='caniac6' timestamp='1424183288' post='10970153']
I always go back to Prov1. The other balls are good, but the Prov1 just feels better.
[/quote]My feelings exactly. I do try other balls but I always end back up with the ProV 1 or Pro V. Like you stated it just simply feels better for me

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1424602789' post='11002613']
[quote name='caniac6' timestamp='1424183288' post='10970153']
I always go back to Prov1. The other balls are good, but the Prov1 just feels better.
[/quote]My feelings exactly. I do try other balls but I always end back up with the ProV 1 or Pro V 1 X Like you stated it just simply feels better for me. After reading all the other replies it is just like everything else in golf play what works for your game that is why they make so many different brands and types of balls
[/quote]

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

[quote name='bigsting' timestamp='1424601557' post='11002597']
[quote name='DaveyGolf' timestamp='1424565222' post='11000607']
[/quote]
I don't think you are correct here. The post stated that the OP couldn't tell the difference between several balls listed and then you guys go on about how this post is not justified. What you are doing here Daveygolf is crazy on an equipment forum. The fact that Pro V1x works best for the OP is not for anyone to decide but the OP. How he comes up with the logic is irrelevant. It is exactly the same as every other piece of equipment.... If I say a set of nike covert irons suit me best do I have to do a blind test as well? Like any equipment there are several factors that make a ball work for you, maybe its launch monitors, maybe its feel, maybe its consistancy and forgiveness....the fact that you are question the OP isn't related to the actual post. The post is about reverting back to previously used equipment after trying several other options. Sure this forum is full of opinions, but its about sharing what works for you and discussing idea's, not dissing other opinions because it doesn't line up with your opinion.
[/quote]

If he wants to say that his favorite ball is the ProV1, there's no way to argue with that, I'm sure it's true. To say it's the best ball for him would take some testing that other people mentioned. There is a difference. I play my favorite clubs. I play my favorite ball. I do some testing now and then to remove prejudice and see what works best. Thanks for calling me crazy, though Stu!

And I'm not going to muddle up someone else's post replying to you Hidalgo. I did a blind comparison between the two balls, but seeing as the Chrome Soft has nearly half the compression, I immediately knew which ball I was playing. I did do extensive short game work within 100 yards between my gamer and the Soft, and in that particular test, the Soft was the clear winner for my game.

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1424217650' post='10974263']
[quote name='RPJET' timestamp='1424216395' post='10974087']
I'll stand by my opinion (and it's only my opinion) that if you hit those balls I mentioned, side by side, over and over again, you wouldn't be able to pick out the Prov1x. The reason I brought up blind testing is because I feel that if you know which ball you're hitting you may already have a preconceived notion.
[/quote]

Yep, it's your opinion and based on ZERO knowledge of my game and abilities. Pretty poor evidence to base an opinion on .......................

Let's just drop this issue because it's not going anywhere. I know what I know, and you are making observations about what you THINK you know.

I'm done here.
[/quote]

Man, what up your backside? Is it that you have a + handicap? When I was playing a lot, my handicap was +.8, and I'm not sure if I would be able to tell a major difference between the top their balls. I was a Bridgestone guy, but I don't know if I could tell too much of a difference between the ProV1x and B330 as they are similar balls.

Anyways, this is a forum and you open yourself to comments anytime you put something out there.

I have been a Bridgestone homer for years. I have been in love with their irons and golf balls. The J40 line had me liking their wedges, hybrids and Driver as well.

Everyone has a ball that either feels better to them or performs better. Whether it is preconceived or real results the fact of the matter is they "know" it performs better and that is the ball they should play. I played college golf and even tried the mini tours back in the day and I do not find there to be a huge difference between any of the balls. I play the B330 because it holds up better(meaning I have to buy less of them) than the ProV1. I tried the Srixon, Callaway, and Nike as well. The overall difference to me is negligible, just the durability. I am playing the C4 MG golf ball as well because well they are cheap and perform just as well as anything else that costs twice as much.

That being said I have never tried the TM golf balls, but I have a friend that works for them now and he has been pushing to get me to play more TM stuff. I have a R15 driver that should show up today, and I will try the fairway woods, hybrids in short order. In short I will put the Tour preferred through the tests, and with the lower price I can get them for I imagine that I will start playing that ball.

I am not a hack, but for me I have never had a ball that I played above all the others(other than I played the Maxfli HT in college) and have always played what I found cheapest as the performance difference is negligible, I do however only play the Bridgestone in tournaments as there is a minor difference and I "feel" the best about that ball.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One