uPRO....Anyone seen this latest entry in the GPS wars?

mrb

How many $400 pieces of software have you pre-ordered? lol.

Apparently a lot more than you. The delays happen with every company, big or small. Yeah, the Guru did not have a production delay because no one heard of them! They could not wait to ship those things.

I haven't ordered a Upro, but I've called several times and have always been routed to someone who could answer my question. Those who have ordered have also received notification concerning their order.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh trying to make my point. Why promise a release date BEFORE it's ready? Get it ready THEN announce the release of the product. MicroSoft, et al, releasing products still in development set integrity in business back a 100 years. I'd love to buy one of these- but I won't till it is an actual product. Pre-selling a product that doesn't really exist yet has always bothered me. Focus the company energy on getting the product done, not promoting phoney magazine covers. If your business model did not anticipate the money needed to bring your idea to market, then you are likely to compromise the purity of your idea to get it ON the market. Promised products based on mock-ups or prototypes feed the current "give-it-to-me-now" philosophy- it is not a correct business philosophy.

I could say I'm currently working on a neural-net body suit that makes your muscles fire in the correct sequence to mimic your favorite golf pro's swing, And I'm currently pre-selling the item. I might be honest about the goal of my endevour, and I might have a prototype. Is it a finished product ready for sale? Nope.

Upro called me tonight at 8:30pm CST so it was 6:30pm his time and said the units did indeed start shipping today and the reason for the late night call was that their credit card information file had become corrupted and they were calling to get the card number again. He didn't say how many people were affected but I take it that possible all the preorders were unusable. I don't know that for sure though. We straightened that out and he said they got a lot of the units in over the weekend and more to come this week. I ordered mine May 7 and he said it should go out tomorrow, June 3rd. He was very nice and said the units looked great and the screen was gorgeous. I also ordered the case and car charger and he said both were in stock as well. He apologized for the delays and credit card trouble but obviously by him calling me that late says they are working to get things right. I think that is all you can ask for since I'm sure starting a new venture with what appears to be cutting edge technology has some issues along the way.

I too received a call last night. Same problem with the credit card. Took the info over the phone and said it would be going out this week.

You folks are a little more trusting than I am.  I never give credit card info to anyone who calls me--that is exactly how scammers do their thing.  Someone could have gotten their hands on the customer list...

I'd be worried until the unit showed up at my door.... :)

I spoke to them yesterday (Wed.) and they said the units DID NOT ship out on Monday as I was previously told. The person I spoke with said they were having a problem with the website and they should go out this week. I was being told different things so I just said look I'm not upset I just want to know the truth. He said that was as straight as it gets and the latest info he had. I guess we all hate the delays but we all want a product that works too. So at this point he said the units are very stable as they have said in the past and they think the webmaster has resolved those issues as well as the credit card issues so maybe we will see the units soon. He did say they had 2000 units to ship out. I do wish they would have sent another letter letting us know what is going on. We are all adults here and understand delays in getting a new company started.

Well I just tried to place an order on Upro's site and it kept erroring out. I called to try and place the order with a live person. (called and spoke with someone in sales and they transferred me to customer service; go figure) Of course Customer Service won't pick up and there's no machine.

I'm an early adopter, but now I'll wait to see what luck others are having with their orders before I try again. I guess I refuse to beg someone to take my $.

I want one that comes pre loaded with every thing I need. Then I hit the button on each shot and it gives me distance hit and then saves the info. then at teh end of the round I can check GIR, fairways hit etc... I can put in the info and bam ---------- I will have my handicap.

Anything like that out there that does not cost a mint?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I want one that comes pre loaded with every thing I need. Then I hit the button on each shot and it gives me distance hit and then saves the info. then at teh end of the round I can check GIR, fairways hit etc... I can put in the info and bam ---------- I will have my handicap.

That's the Golf Buddy http://www.golfbuddyusa.com/en/product/pro...atures_tour.asp

I saw the uPro at Plaza Golf in Torrance yesterday... they are out.

I am going to get the Golf Buddy for now, I like not having to download and pay for courses all the time. If uPro makes it, I might take a look at the next version when they have more courses mapped and all the bugs are worked out.

I would get the GB too. Used it today alongside the SG 2.5 and the cart had their own gps system. The GB+ was consistent with the cart. I used to love the 2.5, but it has been flaking out recently. It will suddenly lose signal and all yardages will disappear. It was also off on yardages compared to the cart and GB. It went back in the bag after 7 holes.

That being said, can't wait to see the Upro.

Whoa, has anyone seen the update to the course search site from Upro. This is hard to explain. For 10 courses (pro mode) it says it will cost 60 bucks. It also says when you buy you receive credits. At the course search it has basic mode listed as 1 credit and some of the pro modes listed as 3 or 5 credits. Confusing. I don't know if they are trying to say if I buy 10 courses for 60 bucks and buy a course that is listed for 5 credits, I've used 5 courses???? That will definitely suck.

What the ?$#@.

That's the Golf Buddy http://www.golfbuddyusa.com/en/product/pro...atures_tour.asp

I saw the uPro at Plaza Golf in Torrance yesterday... they are out.

I am going to get the Golf Buddy for now, I like not having to download and pay for courses all the time. If uPro makes it, I might take a look at the next version when they have more courses mapped and all the bugs are worked out.

Which version of the Golf Buddy are you getting? I am intrigued by the Pro or soon to come "Tour" version. It looks like the only difference between those two would be the color LCD.

Got mine today and so far I am impressed. Very small and light weight. About the size of a deck of cards, very easy to slip into a pocket. Seems well built as well.

I did have to disable my firewall to get it to connect with their server. Will give more specifics after I play with it more :clapping:

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

OK - I'm thinking I may just use the new iphone 3g. Hopefully someone will make a golf course app for the GPS that will be built in.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

Got UPro GPS today ... went thru the intro videos on the device.

Hooked it up to my pc to register and sync ... guess what, there's no freaking Sync software on this one ... called Support ... has no idea what to do ... has to call me back.

Here's what I think will happen .. they will either send me the Sync software to download (preferably by email) to the device or someone will decide to send me another unit .. as I am not sending this back to wait for another delay because their manufacturer/software loader screwed up. I called about 20 mins ago .. we'll see how long it takes to get a resolution.

What they may find out is that they will have put this Sync software on the website, so customers can get to it ... I doubt if this is the only unit that is missing it ...

It's small .. size of LG Chocolate phone .. can't tell you much else, since I can't even download a course yet. You're supposed to be able to Preview a course without being there (like Car GPS), but have to wait until I can register it. I went through the intro videos .. that's about all.

Preview mode is fantastic - Just loaded up Torrey Pines! The yardages in "preview mode" are from the tips.

Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 

It is light and slightly larger than a LG chocolate phone (check the phone size on Verizon). It will be comfortable in your pocket. I'm not sure how it would do if one dropped it on the cartpath .. I plan to get a protective case. The Golflogix GPS seemed to be much sturdier. Although, it was heavier, I carried it in my pocket without a problem for the few rounds I used it.

Still have not heard back from UPLAY .. 2 hours later.

9Six4 has a working one ..

Screen resolution is fantastic - like an Iphone - pictures posted above are terrible.

I was just reading about the u-blox 5 chip these units are using. If it is as good as the literature and the courses are mapped precisely, it should be quite accurate.

The site boasts this...

u-blox 5 boasts the fastest acquisition engine in the GPS market. The u-blox 5 chip is composed of two separate engines, one devoted exclusively to acquisition and one correlator engine for tracking. With over 1 million correlators, the dedicated acquisition engine is capable of massively parallel searches.

50 Channels

Over 1 million correlators

Simultaneously receives GPS, WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS and GALILEO satellites