MAXFLI U BALLS-LIKE THE U4-U6 SEEMS HARDER

deetsal

I REALLY LIKE THE U-4, THE U6 SEEMS HARDER. I HAVE NOT TRIED THE U6LC. LOVE THE SOFT FEEL, BUT I THINK I LOSE AROUND TEN YARDS WITH THE DRIVER. LAST YEAR (2013) IT WAS THE HIGHEST SPINNING BALL MADE, NOT ANYMORE! STILL LIKE THE FG TOUR PRE 2014, IT WAS REALLY SOFT TO PLAY, BUT DID NOT SPIN AS MUCH AS THE 4U, JUST FELT SOFTER. THE NEW U3 (2014) HAS THE SAME COVER AS THE U4 AND IS 65 COM. THE U4 IS 85 WITH ANOTHER LAYER. FEEL MUCH THE SAME, JUST A LITTLE LESS SIPN.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The u4, u4x, u6, and u6x are all firm IMO, I would rate them firest u6x, u6, u4x, u4, then u6lc; although badged low compression the lc is not IMO actually lc...certainly lower than the the other 4...not firm but not soft either...great ball and I prefer a firm ball, mostly as I get better performance off the driver...I settled on the u6lc as it performs much like a firm ball, great performance off the driver, stable into the wind, doesn't spin a ton into the green, but solid and predictable.

p.s. lay off the caps lock!

I recently bought two dozen of the U6 LC for 42.00 ish at Dick's I was thinking it would be kinda like a E6 with more greenside spin but it seemed kind hard to me,not LC at all.

I really had high hopes for the ball but sold them after using one sleeve.

I'm sure they are good if you like a firmer feeling ball.

They really had good stats on the Golf Digest ball test last year

Thinking I may try the U3 before I give up on Maxfli for this year

Callaway Rouge 10.5

Rouge 3 wood

XR hybrid 19*

4-LW XR irons

White Hot 1

I played the U/3 for the majority of my rounds in 2014 and found it to be on the firm side but still only 65 compression. For my 90 mph SS it was one of the longest balls I have ever hit and it had plenty of spin for my needs. Using the U/4 cover made the ball very durable and trees and cartpaths would make a slight mark but did not affect the playability of the ball. They are back up to $29.99 last time I checked Dicks but as the season progresses they tend to average $20 - $25. A tremendous buy for an excellent 3 piece urethene ball. One of the disadvantages of buying any of the Maxfli (or Top-Flite) balls is that you have to buy from Dicks or Golf Galaxy which is fine for me because I have both near my work and a Dicks near my home. A big advantage is that you are buying directly from the manufacturer which keeps the price lower because the manufacturer is also the retailer.

[quote name='ode1' timestamp='1422588688' post='10846211']
The u4, u4x, u6, and u6x are all firm IMO, I would rate them firest u6x, u6, u4x, u4, then u6lc; although badged low compression the lc is not IMO actually lc...certainly lower than the the other 4...not firm but not soft either...great ball and I prefer a firm ball, mostly as I get better performance off the driver...I settled on the u6lc as it performs much like a firm ball, great performance off the driver, stable into the wind, doesn't spin a ton into the green, but solid and predictable.

p.s. lay off the caps lock!
[/quote]thanks for the info, all lower case, o.k. :)

[quote name='jswjr' timestamp='1422626050' post='10847757']
I recently bought two dozen of the U6 LC for 42.00 ish at Dick's I was thinking it would be kinda like a E6 with more greenside spin but it seemed kind hard to me,not LC at all.

I really had high hopes for the ball but sold them after using one sleeve.

I'm sure they are good if you like a firmer feeling ball.

They really had good stats on the Golf Digest ball test last year

Thinking I may try the U3 before I give up on Maxfli for this year
[/quote]the u4 is really a great ball, dick's of golf galaxy you can get them at times for 2 for 35, u3 two for 30 or less, both good balls, the U3 has a bit frimer feel. thanks, ray

• 1 month later...

Been playing Srixon XV for past 4 years. Bought 3 dozen at Dicks since they were 17.50 ea. Thought I'd try a cheap ball kicking off the golf season in the cold. Will report back comparison to Srixon XV after Sunday here in VA.

SS 107-112. Carry 265 (curious to see if I can hit 245 with all this cold this year).

I doubt I'll switch from Srixon but at 1.50 for a urethane ball its hard to pass up for cold weather golf and CC fundraiser tourny's.

[quote name='3woodvt' timestamp='1425738582' post='11096107']
Been playing Srixon XV for past 4 years. Bought 3 dozen at Dicks since they were 17.50 ea. Thought I'd try a cheap ball kicking off the golf season in the cold. Will report back comparison to Srixon XV after Sunday here in VA.

SS 107-112. Carry 265 (curious to see if I can hit 245 with all this cold this year).

I doubt I'll switch from Srixon but at 1.50 for a urethane ball its hard to pass up for cold weather golf and CC fundraiser tourny's.
[/quote]

Sorry...new to this...I'll be playing the 2015 U4.

[quote name='3woodvt' timestamp='1425738635' post='11096107']

[quote name='3woodvt' timestamp='1425738582' post='11096107']

[/quote]

Sorry...new to this...I'll be playing the 2015 U4.
[/quote]
Played 9 holes today with some buddies and the U4 performed very well. To be honest I really couldn't tell any difference from the Srixon XV I've been playing. Distance was similar to what the XV does. I did not experience any loss of distance with any of my clubs. The weather was 55* and wind blowing 15-20 most of the day. The ground was very soft and wet. Greenside chiping and putting was similar as well.
For a winter ball or times when you don't want to hit a high dollar ball or worry about cart path scuffs, I'd highly recommend giving this ball a try. I will be curious to see any distance differences when it gets 75+ as this is 85 comp vs XV 105.

Any ways glad I bought these and will use up when practicing and having some friendlies with the pals. Hope this helps someone else who goes through 5-6 dozen balls a year. Have 3 dozens XV's ready but will continue to play these up to a few weeks before Tournament time.

Soft balls aren't "shorter", they just feel softer. All the various balls on the market are at the USGA limit for distance, so assuming you aren't an outlier swing speed wise (either killer high or super slow), pretty much all balls will fly the same.

Count me as a big U4 fan. I switch back and forth between Z-stars, U4's and FG Tours and all perform the same for me.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I played the U4 2 years ago, and on lark bought the U3's to save a couple bucks. I don't see a ton of difference in my game playing with the 3's versus the 4's, so I went the cheaper route. Played the U3 all last season and loved them, especially for the price. Over the winter, I've been grabbing a couple dozen whenever DSG runs the buy 1 get 1 promotion, I think I've got ten dozen standing by for the summer and I might be into them for $150.

M5 w/Rogue
Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
MD3 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

Final Follow up. 18 holes today. 15-18 GIR (33 putts...couldn't make anything....unthawed greens...so nothing to do with the U4). Drives and overall performance outstanding. I don't have a problem showing Maxfli on the First Tee. I'd be happy to keep posting a 70 with a Maxfli (Even Par). Spin very similar to Srixon XV.

[quote name='Graymulligan' timestamp='1425822977' post='11101455']
I played the U4 2 years ago, and on lark bought the U3's to save a couple bucks. I don't see a ton of difference in my game playing with the 3's versus the 4's, so I went the cheaper route. Played the U3 all last season and loved them, especially for the price. Over the winter, I've been grabbing a couple dozen whenever DSG runs the buy 1 get 1 promotion, I think I've got ten dozen standing by for the summer and I might be into them for $150.
[/quote]
BOGO best deal in all of Golf right now. Ssshhh don't want everyone to start playing it or prices will go up....supply demand thing :stop: