uPRO....Anyone seen this latest entry in the GPS wars?

mrb

maybe i can help. i got my unit 2 days ago and my mac would not recognize it when plugged in. talked to customer rep and found out that several units were shipped out with NO pc or mac sync software installed. they will not sync at all. on top of that, as someone mentioned, they forgot include the proper sync files for the newest versions of mac os x. the patch mentioned in the zip file above will not work. i talked to a rep last night who said they hoped it would fix the problem but realized that it would not. the person i talked to last night told me the only fix right now was to send me a new SD card which is properly formatted. he said he was going to overnight it last night. i'll update when i get it and see if it works. even with the new card, though i think i'll have to sync and register with a pc, then download the patch for the mac software. lucky i have access to both.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to be slow when downloading course files regardless of PC or Mac .. lot of data

I think it has something to do with the uPRO's USB protocol version ... does not match the PC or Mac's USB protocol version ...

When they don't match, I think it uses the speed of the lower version .. I'm just speculating as to why it is so slow.

When I connect an iPod-shuffle to Mac .. file-transfer & Sync 'flies', as you'd expect.

When I connect cell-phone to PC .. file-transfer & Sync 'flies', as you'd expect

All of my original problems seemed to be the because of the microSD.

First, SYNC files were missing. Even when I got the full set and copied them to the microSD, still wouldn't connect ... rebooted PC, etc.

Finally, I decided to reformat the microSD myself (uPlay never suggested to do that) from Windows, and reloaded the software, it works fine. (The Format action on the device did not format the microSD, but just erased all data except the \courses folder.

I think the automatic installs/copies they were using for the microSD's wasn't formatting the SD correctly or something.

I've holding off on a SG5 till I got some feedback on this one, but seems there are some definite issues that need to be worked out before I pull the trigger on this one.

Time will tell I guess.

No one has got into the nitty gritty of it yet either, will wait till some feedback on that part.

Keep up the good work! :russian_roulette:

I've holding off on a SG5 till I got some feedback on this one, but seems there are some definite issues that need to be worked out before I pull the trigger on this one.

Time will tell I guess.

No one has got into the nitty gritty of it yet either, will wait till some feedback on that part.

Keep up the good work! :russian_roulette:

If it is the "color" that intrigues you with regard to the SG5, maybe wait a couple of months to see if uPro solves their problems. There may also be someone else who comes out with a color version of their unit. One of them is GolfBuddy, their "Pro" model. There is someone else working on a color version, yet to be released, that I know of as well.

for MAC users here's the deal per tech support today: they are working on a patch that was supposed to be ready by end of week however you will have to download the patch on a PC. once this is done you will be able to synch using a MAC going forward. Once you register via the PC you can log into your account (without having the upro connected) and click the My account link. That houses a section called latest software. When the updates is available it's time to find a PC and start downloading. Unbelievable.

It seems to be slow when downloading course files regardless of PC or Mac .. lot of data

It seems to be quite quick syncing up to "80%" on their progress bar, then its PAINFULLY slow after that taking about 2 mins per 1%, so 20- to 40 mins to complete most syncs.

Gotta tell you, the unit rocks after you get through the brain damage. :friends: :russian_roulette:

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

Gotta tell you, the unit rocks after you get through the brain damage. :friends: :russian_roulette:

I wasn't able to play today, but have been helping a friend with a Mac. I've loaded up some courses for him on my pc.

He played today and had to call me to say the same thing and that after we play on the weekend i'll have one by next week.

So, even if you already registered the unit you have to dl from a pc? I don't get it. What's the difference if you go on your Mac, sign in, and dl?

I think this is meant for those in the following situation:

Some people who only have macs can't register their unit, because it won't sync.

So, if they can register on an available PC (which is working for most folks), they can download the Mac fix to their unit. Then when they connect the uPro to a Mac, it is supposed to allow them to sync from a Mac. The PC and the Mac should see the same files on the device's microSD .. they will just use different SYNC program, MacSync instead of PCSync.

So, even if you already registered the unit you have to dl from a pc? I don't get it. What's the difference if you go on your Mac, sign in, and dl?

It seems to be quite quick syncing up to "80%" on their progress bar, then its PAINFULLY slow after that taking about 2 mins per 1%, so 20- to 40 mins to complete most syncs.

Gotta tell you, the unit rocks after you get through the brain damage. partytime2.gif russian_roulette.gif

Yep ... it hits ~80-85% right away (probably just a fake percentage, to keep you from getting impatient and killing it). After that, it takes 100secs. for 1 percent to pass ... 1500 to 2000 secs. or so, equals 25-33 mins. (For those anal retentive types :friends: who want to know the details) ... :russian_roulette:

i agree. once you get past the hiccups it's a great device. the measure feature is awesome. yardage from where you stand to any point on the hole. even on adjacent holes in cast you have to punch out to a different fairway. overall i thought customer service was pretty good. they actually overnighted me a new SD card ($40?) with the correct software.

Just my two cents worth...After I fixed the battery contact issue and reinstalled the software back on the card (uSD.exe) it worked fine, XP Pro SP2 for me. Once I got it to sync the rest of the process was flawless. I downloaded one course and it is slow but it worked. The unit is very impressive, my only issue is that the screen goes dark after a short period and you have to keep hitting the "U' button to bring it back up. If you had it cart mounted, then you are going to have to hit the button almost every time you get to the ball to see the screen. That will get old in my opinion as I like to see the yardage on the way to the ball so I know for the most part what club I will need.

Today, I decided to buy the SC SG5 just to see which one I liked better and it is very impressive and uses the U-Blox GPS chip as well. It gets a fix almost instantly after the initial startup. If you power it on, let it gets it's first fix in less than two minutes then power it off and back on it gets a fix in 1 to 2 seconds, it's that fast. But all my courses would come up instantly; it was really unbelievable how fast it was. The Upro takes about a minute each time you turn it on. Not a big deal either way I guess but I have to say the SG5 is way nicer than my SG4 in my opinion. But the Upro gets noticeably better reception than the SG5 inside my house that is. Outside they are both fine.

But the flyover and aerial views on the Upro are really nice and the unit is definitely belt wearable in my opinion. But if you want to see the yardage drop as you approach your ball you will need to keep hitting a button to keep the display from going dark even if you have adjusted the Power Conservation setting. But the units software has been vary stable as far as I can tell.

I have the protective skin for the Upro and it fits like a wetsuit, very nice. Only complaint is that I wish it had a cutout for the USB cable because the skin is a one piece mold and not the easiest thing to get off and on. You push the unit into the mold through the display opening and pull the rest of the cover around it.

I'm not trying to start a debate as to the Upro or SG5, they are both great units and it probably boils down to your preference. But I will say this...screen is better on the Upro, not by much though. SG5 seems more durable and I love the built in rubber texture abound the case and the old “glass coke bottle” shape on the sides. The SG5 also has a new 3d Onyx display that is very nice. I also like the buttons on the SG5 better since they are all on the front of the unit. The Upro has the Pro button on the top right and it doesn't have great feedback to it. The SG5 also shows you the course information, phone number etc, when you select the course. I mentioned that to Upro support and he said yea we need to do that and was going to ask the engineer about it. He said they are "taking notes" from the field to see what needs to change in future updates.

But all in all you really can't go wrong with either unit in my opinion.

So many Mac users here, very cool. This is turning into tech support thread.

I'm learning alot about synching with Macs but not one decent review of usage on course! The uPro is becoming vaporware.

just started shipping this week .. they'll start coming in soon .. patience plz

what's wrong with vsmith's review? pretty good review to me

No scoring option yet but they indicated it may be in the future as is voice recognition. But the mic doesn't seem to have any kind of wind sock in front on it. You can look straight down into the mic hole. That seems odd to me since it is often windy on the course.

They have indicated there will be a charge for voice rec but not sure about the scoring option. I also hope they add the handicap of each hole where the par information is shown along with course information such as the phone number.

Mine has locked up hard twice when cancelling the flyover. Instead of returning to the previous screen it just hangs and is frozen. You have to pull the battery to turn it off. Doesn't happen every time but it does seem to be a small bug. But that is the only issue I have found thus far. Really a stable unit for a new company, first production run unit I think.

I used it today and although it was a little difficult to see the course (direct sunlight) in Pro mode it was fun and easy to use. Pro mode is great and we used it a lot. Although basic mode shows the same info, seeing the actual hazards and their yardages was pretty cool. In Basic mode the hazards will display in order as you approach them. When there was a little backup we used the Anypoint screen to measure how far we wanted to layup to leave us 100 yards in. I couldn't see doing this unless you had ample time, but, nowadays you always have time as slow play is abundant. It worked great and was impressed with every aspect of the device.

We did turn off the hole flyover when going to the next hole as that seemed to be the cause of most freeze-ups when demoing. We didn't have any freeze-ups because we turned off this option and went straight to Basic mode, imo. Also, we could not get the device to lose reception no matter where we put it. I had it in my pocket sitting in the cart for several minutes and when I took it out it still had all bars on the signal.

The one detail I'd like to see changed although not very important is the mark feature. Once you want to read how far your shot went the only way out is to reset the yardage. So when there was a big margin in driving distance we had to reset and add the second yardage. I know that's very petty and minor, but I'd like the ability not to reset.

All in all I had a blast using the device. It seemed very accurate although I wish we had a laser. We are going to do that next time. We used another gps device to compare and we both agreed the Upro blew the doors off the other device. To avoid any bad feelings I won't say which one, but if you have read any other post of mine I own quite a few of them.

My friend, the owner of the Upro, is reaching 70 and computer and electronic device illiterate. I offered to buy it from him and he would have no part of it. For him to keep it says a lot about the device. I really liked it myself. I will probably order one, but seeing it's not working on the Mac i'll have my hands on his pretty much if it needs updating or new courses. It's worth it if you are looking to get a gps. If the SG 5 has the u-blox chip these would be the only two I would consider, although I would most definitely get the Upro.

I used it today and although it was a little difficult to see the course (direct sunlight) in Pro mode it was fun and easy to use. Pro mode is great and we used it a lot. Although basic mode shows the same info, seeing the actual hazards and their yardages was pretty cool. In Basic mode the hazards will display in order as you approach them. When there was a little backup we used the Anypoint screen to measure how far we wanted to layup to leave us 100 yards in. I couldn't see doing this unless you had ample time, but, nowadays you always have time as slow play is abundant. It worked great and was impressed with every aspect of the device.

We did turn off the hole flyover when going to the next hole as that seemed to be the cause of most freeze-ups when demoing. We didn't have any freeze-ups because we turned off this option and went straight to Basic mode, imo. Also, we could not get the device to lose reception no matter where we put it. I had it in my pocket sitting in the cart for several minutes and when I took it out it still had all bars on the signal.

I would agree with the above notes 100%. It was VERY accurate and signal strength is awesome, even inside my house! :D

The only real problem I had was that in Pro Mode, I had a tough time seeing the boarder of the greens, I would see the edge of the grass, but the specific boarders of the green (and fairways for that matter) were hard if not impossible to differentiate. I play mostly desert courses so it could be the very bright desert sand in contrast to the dark green color of grass that messes with the contrast.

One feature I would LOVE is in basic mode to have the shape of the green on the screen with the yardages, just like SG5. The shape and depth/width of the green is VERY important to me as to knowing where the fat of the green is.

Regarding the scoring future feature:

Will the uPro™ keep score, track my shots, and provide statistics?

The uPro™ will have the ability to keep score and track shots. It will be available as an additional software download mid-late summer 2008 for a small additional fee.

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

Hi, and many thanks for the info. Sounds like Id be willing to take the plunge. Question is where do you guys think the best online place would be, pricewise its all the same i think. Would you guys feel more comfortable ordering from upro directly, or TGW, or somewhere like that. Some have better reputations than others. Anybodys thoughts? Thanks, Neil

If the SG 5 has the u-blox chip these would be the only two I would consider, although I would most definitely get the Upro

Add the Golf Guru to the list of those that use the u-blox. Had it all along. One of the reasons everyone touts it as being so accurate, and probabaly a big reason the others had to follow suit.

If Guru had courses in my area that were professionally mapped I'd be satisfied with it, but most courses just have greens mapped. I'm going to hold on to this one for future.

One thing that kind of irks me about the Upro is that they have mapped just about every private course in my area. Seems like a big waste of time as I doubt there will be much demand. Also, I've noticed quite a few courses that had an 08 date have become 09.

Initial Review of UPro GPS - Not comprehensive by any means

Lightweight and good size for those with small-to-medium size hands and/or fingers. I think this may be too small for those with large hands and fingers. The size is much more desireable for me, because I prefer to carry the uPro in my pocket. I cannot stand wearing things (cell phones, beepers, etc) on my belt. I had another GPS that was twice as heavy as the uPro and 25 - 30% larger and I carried it in my pocket, but I found it uncomfortable there.

My playing partner has a SG-5 and we only compared yardages during our round. Yardages were within 1-2 yards of each other. I did find that once you were standing in one spot, the yardage would fluctuate and then settle to a particular number. This apparently is characteristic of all golf-GPS devices, as the satellite triangulation zeroes in on your location.

The UPro by nature gave a better visual, albeit one has to toggle between zoom and pan in order to focus better on a given hazard. This will be extremely valuable for unfamiliar courses. This is one of the main reasons I am trying the uPro. That will be coming later when I play an unfamilar course.

I never tried the measurement (backward) for lay-up distances, as I didn't really find the time to do that during play. However, to some degree, using this in Preview mode could help to plan out shots prior to playing the desired course.

Although, I used the shot-distance feature a couple of times, I'm not used to checking that during play very often, so I forgot to check more often than not. Generally, I check it when I hit a very solid tee shot. Only happened 4-5 times in this round, as I was scrambling quite a bit, but this leads to the next item.

I found the off-line yardage-to-greens, etc. to be pretty accurate, as my recovery shots would substantiate that (that is when I hid a solid shot).

Overall, I found the unit to be pretty much what I expected. It does what the others do, although a bit differently. The differences can be improved for usability during play (I am making a suggestion list to send to uPlay and I'll post it here, also).

The main plus for me is the size. It carries well in my pocket. This can also be a negative depending upon how you look at it. During play, I forgot I had it, since it was out of sight. However, it works like a charm, and it never has locked up on me in or out of the house, during play mode or preview mode.

If uPlay will apply some of the suggestions to their software, the uPro will prove to be an extremely competitive device. If they can't or won't, then I think it will not gain on the leaders. It has features not available on any others, but the features it does have in common with the others are no better, and in most cases, less, which is not an overriding positive.

Many of the courses that I have played near me in the past 2-3 years have not become available, yet. Fortunately, my home course is, as I would not have bought this, yet. The ones that I play mostly, are available, and ten pro-mode courses will most likely be all that I need for the time being.

I realize this may not be the most compelling testimonial, but I think my first experience of this device would be similar to those who have not used a golf GPS before. I tried it out on my home course, which is very familiar, and I rarely need a GPS. I can get a relatively good yardage estimate within 5-6 seconds manually, but I found it pretty cool to just look at the device yardage, pick a club and hit.

(We don't have to think any more .. "Computers, they got us all with Computers!").

You'll just have to try one for yourself, as the saying goes, "the proof is in the pudding".

Tried to add pics, but for some reason, they never show up under 'Manage Current Attachements'.

Suggestions for uPro to be sent to uPlay

Basic-Mode Hazard List Green selection to Pro-Mode

Automatically zoom in on green so as to fill screen with green and yardages

Provide outline of green in pro-mode .. scrolling thru pro-mode view by pressing U-button should also include return to basic-mode item initially selected

Basic-Mode Green only - need to provide non-pro mode view of green similar to SG-5 .. either replacing the current screen or as alternate screen that one can toggle to/from to by pressing U-button .. For pro-mode, see previous suggestion

Pro-mode - Provide outline of green and fairways so as to be able distinguish boundaries

Power-save feature - enable users to set default length of time for this to activate .. options of 15 sec , 30 sec, up to 2 - 3 mins (of course, with warning that battery power will be depleted faster).

Pro-mode Video Flyover - allow one to select this on the fly without having to reset from disabled to automatic; i.e., provide a manual option. This could be invoked from Basic-mode Green screen by dbl-or-triple clicking the U-button or using the VR button .. and a dialog would pop-up to confirm .."Play fly-over .. YES / NO" with YES highlighted by default

Basic-mode to Pro-mode Hazard selection - Provide return-to-basic mode hazard view when toggling through pro-mode view from selected basic-mode hazard via U-button

Just my two cents worth...After I fixed the battery contact issue and reinstalled the software back on the card (uSD.exe) it worked fine, XP Pro SP2 for me. Once I got it to sync the rest of the process was flawless. I downloaded one course and it is slow but it worked. The unit is very impressive, my only issue is that the screen goes dark after a short period and you have to keep hitting the "U' button to bring it back up. If you had it cart mounted, then you are going to have to hit the button almost every time you get to the ball to see the screen. That will get old in my opinion as I like to see the yardage on the way to the ball so I know for the most part what club I will need.

Today, I decided to buy the SC SG5 just to see which one I liked better and it is very impressive and uses the U-Blox GPS chip as well. It gets a fix almost instantly after the initial startup. If you power it on, let it gets it's first fix in less than two minutes then power it off and back on it gets a fix in 1 to 2 seconds, it's that fast. But all my courses would come up instantly; it was really unbelievable how fast it was. The Upro takes about a minute each time you turn it on. Not a big deal either way I guess but I have to say the SG5 is way nicer than my SG4 in my opinion. But the Upro gets noticeably better reception than the SG5 inside my house that is. Outside they are both fine.

But the flyover and aerial views on the Upro are really nice and the unit is definitely belt wearable in my opinion. But if you want to see the yardage drop as you approach your ball you will need to keep hitting a button to keep the display from going dark even if you have adjusted the Power Conservation setting. But the units software has been vary stable as far as I can tell.

I have the protective skin for the Upro and it fits like a wetsuit, very nice. Only complaint is that I wish it had a cutout for the USB cable because the skin is a one piece mold and not the easiest thing to get off and on. You push the unit into the mold through the display opening and pull the rest of the cover around it.

I'm not trying to start a debate as to the Upro or SG5, they are both great units and it probably boils down to your preference. But I will say this...screen is better on the Upro, not by much though. SG5 seems more durable and I love the built in rubber texture abound the case and the old "glass coke bottle" shape on the sides. The SG5 also has a new 3d Onyx display that is very nice. I also like the buttons on the SG5 better since they are all on the front of the unit. The Upro has the Pro button on the top right and it doesn't have great feedback to it. The SG5 also shows you the course information, phone number etc, when you select the course. I mentioned that to Upro support and he said yea we need to do that and was going to ask the engineer about it. He said they are "taking notes" from the field to see what needs to change in future updates.

But all in all you really can't go wrong with either unit in my opinion.

VSMITH, my wife would go beserk if I bought two units (assuming she found out). black%20eye.gif

I have orderd the protective case .. I assumed it would be hard plastic, but you mentioned it was a skin. Is it a silicone skin? If it is, I guess I would have to take the old exacto knife or razor blade and make an opening for the usb port.