Pebble Beach or Bandon Dunes

Next March will be my FIL's 70th, and I was working with his wife to plan something special. I am just looking for people to weigh in on which resort would people recommend in March 2016. Based on my research so far; here are the main contention points:

- Pebble will be more expensive($2500 per couple for the weekend), and Bandon will be much cheaper

- Weather in Carmel/Monterey will be warmer, though both have a good chance to rain while we are there.

- Pebble is easier to get to

- FIL grew up in Oregon(we live in Canada)

- Pebble is infinitely more famous to him than Bandon

Knowing this, which resort would you guys choose?

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our wives would be coming, but they don't play. They would be happy to sight see Bandon and walk the beach, so the lack of spa's and shopping isn't the end of the world. But it's a valid point.

Sounds like you'd be selling him short to save a few bucks by choosing Bandon. Go to Pebble if you can afford it. Easier travel, better weather, and wives will be happier. Prices for food and drink are equal at Bandon for lower quality than visiting better spots in Carmel and Monterrey. If he's never played either and prefers PB then go to PB.

If he's never played Pebble, and you can swing the cost, Pebble is the answer. If he's played Pebble, then Bandon, no question.

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

It's less about being able to afford playing and staying there, and more about how he thinks it's unreasonable to be paying those $500 dollar green fees and $700 a night rooms. I can afford the trip just fine, but I'm not sure he would be ok with how much the package costs.

But I'd rather play Bandon, lol.

How much of a hardcore golfer is your FIL? If he is really hardcore and would love to play 36 a day or several days straight, Bandon is as pure a golf experience as you can get. But the wives will find its intense focus on the golfer somewhat limiting, and so might you and your FIL when you're done with the day's golf.

Pebble is more of an overall destination, with plenty of things for the wives to do, extracurricular activities for everyone, lots of restaurant choices, galleries, shopping, etc. It's also a course your FIL will see on TV a lot and think to himself "yeah, I played there!" He'll also have better bragging rights among his friends - almost everyone knows of Pebble and its majesty, but pretty much only golfers know Bandon, and I run into a surprising number who don't.

Without knowing you or the inlaws it is hard to make too definitive of recommendation, but having played boy destinations I'd lean towards Pebble and the Carmel area as being the more special destination.

The wife and I have been to Pebble and Carmel(honeymoon last year) so we know the area fairly well now. I think if I can convince him to go, I think PB is the way to do it. we'll play 2-3 rounds and still have time to hang out with the women.

For him, I think Monterey is the best bet.

I've been going to Bandon regularly since 2001, and love all four main courses.

I've played Spanish Bay, Spyglass, & Pebble Beach. (Pebble three times since 2005.) I enjoy the Monterey courses, including Bayonet / Blackhorse, Pacific Grove, MPCC (Dunes) and the Preserve.

One factor may be his fitness. Bandon is primarily walking only, with caddies & pushcarts. If he's more comfortable in a power cart, then Monterey is ideal. (Also, as mentioned earlier there is nothing in Bandon for the non-golfing spouse.)

If he hasn't played Pebble Beach before, then definitely go to Monterey.

I just did both bucket list trips in mid January. I went to Bandon First and then wrapped up the trip with Pebble and Pasatiempo.

Pebble Beach - Holes 4 - 10, 17, 18 are amazing. Ocean views, everything you could imagine. Mind you I saved $100 by getting the NCGA deal even though I am from Toronto. Everything is first class from booking, check-in, driving range. My only problem with the course is it is a factory. It seems they just pump out the rounds. My round was 5.5-6hrs and we were waiting over most shots all day, which made it tough to get in a groove. I was also a single and the people who play here are either golf fanatics or just rich. I just paired up with the latter which also took away from the experience because there was a lack of etiquette. Also, I noticed a difference in the service level of caddies between the two resorts, would give the edge to Bandon, but it could have been the caddy could not help the guys I was playing with, so not fault on him. I would definitely pay to play Pebble at least one more time. The area is awesome and there is a ton of stuff to do.

Bandon - Best Golf Experience I have ever had period. If you have time don't try to squeeze 36 in more than 1 day or if you have the desire to play more go play the Preserve. Everything is onsite and there is no need to leave the resort. All courses are amazing and different in their own right. You can spend a lot on dinner/lunch or $10 on a burger. I would rank the courses T1. Bandon Trails T1 Pacific Dunes 2. Bandon Dunes 3. Old Mac ( I think if I played this course 2-3 more times I would enjoy it more, struggled with the green complexities and it was my 2nd round of the day) Also, I would love to spend an entire day with a buddy playing the Preserve as it was a ton of fun!! Caddies differently save you 3-5 strokes for your first time being there. Driving range facility is mint and huge. I think there are just walking trails and massage in-house for the spouses. The town of Bandon is maybe 2 traffic lights long and I didn't see a ton (not many things open in off-season can't speak about march) Coos Bay there is a little more but not much. There are a bunch of National parks or if they are adventurous go to Dune City for a Dune buggy ride on the sand dunes (I really wanted to stop as I was driving to/from Eugene Airport).

My pick would be Bandon pure for its golf (Also, I think Bandon start offering their packages in march call to see). Pebble if your trying to please everyone.

[quote name='npham' timestamp='1424215597' post='10974007']
It's less about being able to afford playing and staying there, and more about how he thinks it's unreasonable to be paying those $500 dollar green fees and $700 a night rooms. I can afford the trip just fine, but I'm not sure he would be ok with how much the package costs.
[/quote]If you are covering the cost, PB all the way. I have a real fondness for Bandon, but it's pure golf. As a couples trip Monterey makes much more sense. Save Bandon for a buddies trip, play 36 a day (or 49 + Scotches on the Punchbowl) and crash hard, repeat.

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI
Cleveland Zipcore 50*Mid & 54*Mid

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

[quote name='Malones19' timestamp='1424217254' post='10974205']
I just did both bucket list trips in mid January. I went to Bandon First and then wrapped up the trip with Pebble and Pasatiempo.

Pebble Beach - Holes 4 - 10, 17, 18 are amazing. Ocean views, everything you could imagine. Mind you I saved $100 by getting the NCGA deal even though I am from Toronto. Everything is first class from booking, check-in, driving range. My only problem with the course is it is a factory. It seems they just pump out the rounds. My round was 5.5-6hrs and we were waiting over most shots all day, which made it tough to get in a groove. I was also a single and the people who play here are either golf fanatics or just rich. I just paired up with the latter which also took away from the experience because there was a lack of etiquette. Also, I noticed a difference in the service level of caddies between the two resorts, would give the edge to Bandon, but it could have been the caddy could not help the guys I was playing with, so not fault on him. I would definitely pay to play Pebble at least one more time. The area is awesome and there is a ton of stuff to do.

Bandon - Best Golf Experience I have ever had period. If you have time don't try to squeeze 36 in more than 1 day or if you have the desire to play more go play the Preserve. Everything is onsite and there is no need to leave the resort. All courses are amazing and different in their own right. You can spend a lot on dinner/lunch or $10 on a burger. I would rank the courses T1. Bandon Trails T1 Pacific Dunes 2. Bandon Dunes 3. Old Mac ( I think if I played this course 2-3 more times I would enjoy it more, struggled with the green complexities and it was my 2nd round of the day) Also, I would love to spend an entire day with a buddy playing the Preserve as it was a ton of fun!! Caddies differently save you 3-5 strokes for your first time being there. Driving range facility is mint and huge. I think there are just walking trails and massage in-house for the spouses. The town of Bandon is maybe 2 traffic lights long and I didn't see a ton (not many things open in off-season can't speak about march) Coos Bay there is a little more but not much. There are a bunch of National parks or if they are adventurous go to Dune City for a Dune buggy ride on the sand dunes (I really wanted to stop as I was driving to/from Eugene Airport).

My pick would be Bandon pure for its golf (Also, I think Bandon start offering their packages in march call to see). Pebble if your trying to please everyone.
[/quote] +1

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI
Cleveland Zipcore 50*Mid & 54*Mid

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

He walks a ton, but Bandon might be too hard of a weekend for him. One round here or there he could do, but definitely not 4 rounds. I think PB is the way to go at this point. Everyone is going to have a much better time, and it will be quite a bit easier for him to talk about how he played at Pebble, than some walking only course in Oregon to his golf buddies. I'll just have to convince some of my friends to play Bandon for our annual golf trip.

[quote name='npham' timestamp='1424276975' post='10978147']
I'll just have to convince some of my friends to play Bandon for our annual golf trip.
[/quote]

I'm sure you won't have to work too hard to convice them haha. The wives can walk the courses with you (hell throw a couple bags on their shoulders :p) but unless they really get their jolly's off on reading probably not going to have the greatest time. Down town Bandon has some little shops and the pier is a pretty cool place. I can't weigh in on Pebble since I've never been there but Bandon Dunes should be marked off on everyone bucket list by the time they kick it. Keiser's seasonal prices allows for everyone to come out there and play. I've always thought Pebble was cool place, but they're so high on their horse and think they should be put on such a high pedestal whereas everyone at Bandon is pretty humble, you still get 1st class service no doubt, just not the chip on the shoulder with it

[quote name='npham' timestamp='1424212507' post='10973649']
Next March will be my FIL's 70th, and I was working with his wife to plan something special. I am just looking for people to weigh in on which resort would people recommend in March 2016. Based on my research so far; here are the main contention points:

- Pebble will be more expensive($2500 per couple for the weekend), and Bandon will be much cheaper
- Weather in Carmel/Monterey will be warmer, though both have a good chance to rain while we are there.
- Pebble is easier to get to
- FIL grew up in Oregon(we live in Canada)
- Pebble is infinitely more famous to him than Bandon

Knowing this, which resort would you guys choose?
[/quote]

I have never played Bandon and only recently had the pleasure of playing the Pebble beach courses and I would choose Pebble over Bandon just because its a trip for your father in law. The level of service and attention to detail in combination to the natural scenery is outstanding! Sure many on this board will crap on Spanish Bay, but I still enjoyed playing there. I loved Spyglass and loved Pebble as they are "Fantastic" in every way imaginable. and as previously mentioned your father in law will be able to reminisce about the trip when ever PB is on television......

The atmosphere within the Pebble beach complex is mind blowing.... the food and service is great, My brother treated me to a extended weekend for my belated 50th B-day, and it was everything I could imagine and then some.....

have a great trip!!

cheers

Personally, I think the only valid opinions on this can only be from people who have played/stayed at both.

I agree that Pebble is a once in a lifetime experience. I am fortunate to have played Pebble, Spyglass and Spanish Bay on beautiful days and by playing well on those occasions, do not feel the need to play them again (at least until all of my kids are out of college).

That being said, I can wait because all of these courses allow the use of motorized carts, and the weather is generally pretty good, so if I am old and ailing, it is still possible to enjoy a round without too much difficulty.

Bandon on the other hand, is a lifelong experience. I go every year, for the experience of golf the way it used to be (no carts, no homes along the course, no civilization).

From a cost standpoint, it is easier to play, which makes it easier to think about golf rather than value. But ultimately one of Bandon's greatest strengths is also its achilles heel as it is a walking only course (and the weather isn't always perfect).

I love everything about Bandon, but know there will be a time when walking in difficult weather is not going to be something I decide to do on purpose.

In my opinion, if your FIL is already 70, his days of being able to walk and enjoy Bandon are more limited than the ability to play and enjoy Pebble.

Bandon would not be fun if you are struggling physically.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

Pebble. I've done both. Both awesome, but I'd choose Pebble too.

Bandon is pure, no frills golf--meaning nothing else but golf (maybe a hot tub). Complete boredom for wives.

By contrast, Pebble Beach has everything. It too is a must play for anyone who plays golf. With wives going, for me it is Pebble, hands down. They will love the area--I don't think I've met a person who didn't.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update for those who have provided their advice on this topic. We decided to head to Pebble. I think it was an easy decision once we factored in the "magic" of the venue and all the activities we can do while not golfing.

Now we just have to wait for a good deal to come up. I've spoken to his wife and we are going to try and plan it all without him knowing. Hopefully the weather holds up next March!

[quote name='npham' timestamp='1427150274' post='11200557']
Just a quick update for those who have provided their advice on this topic. We decided to head to Pebble. I think it was an easy decision once we factored in the "magic" of the venue and all the activities we can do while not golfing.

Now we just have to wait for a good deal to come up. I've spoken to his wife and we are going to try and plan it all without him knowing. Hopefully the weather holds up next March!
[/quote]

Probably a good choice for your situation. Pebble is fantastic and has plenty to do outside of golf. I personally prefer Bandon and think it's the best [i][b]golf[/b][/i] trip you can make in the United States and it's not close in my opinion.