Junior Membership Rates, But No College Student Rates?

*Skip to paragraph four if you don't desire to absorb my backstory, thanks!*

Growing up as a kid beginning around the age of 13, I was fortunate enough to partake in a Golf/Life Academy of sorts that allowed me to play at a classic, well maintained Donald Ross design for a mere $150 a year until I was 18. Unlimited, anytime golf. I cannot thank the course and those instructors enough for the etiquette they had taught me along with the promotion of the game for such a small monetary investment for junior golfers. Moving on to the present though..

Why is it that golf courses seem to lack a college student membership rate? I am currently in the market for a course to play at this upcoming season, but with rates looking to be around $1700 for an adult membership, it's simply unfathomable to foresee with my current budget. I know many of you are thinking, 1700 is a steal, are you kidding me? Student loans are a bear to say the least, which is what the problem is for most my age.

I have contacted the course of interest three or four times inquiring if there would be some sort of deal we could work out, as the only times I'd be playing are early in the morning before classes (6:00 AM) or super twilight (6:00 or later), but still no response. I'm looking at taking 10 credits in my Summer I semester at Community College to cover some prerequisites on the cheap, and have also thought of trying to work at the course for the membership. Not very reliable communicators sadly.

Sorry for the novel, phew. Do your home courses or the courses you operate/manage offer a college student rate (excluding university courses in this conversation) specifically? Maybe a monthly payment sort of plan for the season as most of us work part time with limited cash to drop on golf? If not, why do you neglect to? I plan on residing in the same city as I grew up in and currently live in if I decide to stick through my medical endeavors. If a course were to offer some sort of discounted rate to a broke fellow like myself now, they would certainly see a return in investment on me in the future when I'm capable of paying full membership fees for many years to come along with including my future family in the mix and recommending my friends to join there. Thanks for your thoughts if you have any on the matter. Positive vibes, hopefully.

44.5" X Flex Student Loans up my-
Mizzy MP650 13.5 DI8x
S3 Pro MB 3-GW 130 X
Tour Trusty RF Proto 55, 60
Ontic Signature Series II Blade
Sun Mountain Swift X

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only courses I'm familiar with that offer student rates are ones that are tied in to the university itself(karsten and ASU, UNM championship course and UNM), and you have to be a student at the affiliated university. I've never heard of a general student rate like at the movie theater lol

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1426468017' post='11150201']
The only courses I'm familiar with that offer student rates are ones that are tied in to the university itself(karsten and ASU, UNM championship course and UNM), and you have to be a student at the affiliated university. I've never heard of a general student rate like at the movie theater lol
[/quote]

I'd much rather have a discounted golf rate than a movie rate, I sneak my own popcorn into both to enjoy the show anyways :)
I live an hour and a half from school so unfortunately a college membership is out of the question, and the courses are lackluster.

[quote name='CHARGERS' timestamp='1426468428' post='11150259']
Some country clubs do offer so called junior memberships at a discount for young adults up to 30-35 who are starting their own career and family....usually for children of current members though.
[/quote]

Being that my parents are both tremendously frugal public education teachers who express no passion for golf in the slightest, I'm afraid those would be out of the question too.
Thanks for the responses, still puzzled as to how golf courses neglect to capitalize on this age. Sure, plenty don't play or have poor etiquette, but there are just as many that are as serious about their game as the next member. Sigh.

Mizzy MP650 13.5 DI8x
S3 Pro MB 3-GW 130 X
Sun Mountain Swift X

[quote name='GoldenBearCub' timestamp='1426469166' post='11150325']
[/quote]

I'd much rather have a discounted golf rate than a movie rate, I sneak my own popcorn into both to enjoy the show anyways :)
I live an hour and a half from school so unfortunately a college membership is out of the question, and the courses are lackluster.

Some country clubs do offer so called junior memberships at a discount for young adults up to 30-35 who are starting their own career and family....usually for children of current members though.
[/quote]

Being that my parents are both tremendously frugal public education teachers who express no passion for golf in the slightest, I'm afraid those would be out of the question too.
Thanks for the responses, still puzzled as to how golf courses neglect to capitalize on this age. Sure, plenty don't play or have poor etiquette, but there are just as many that are as serious about their game as the next member. Sigh.
[/quote]

As a grad student (almost done!) I feel your pain. I was lucky enough to play a bit of college golf, so daily play was free. That's the first recommendation - find a team or club team that allows you to play. If your school doesn't have a club team, try to form one. I'd bet there are others in your same position and a unified, organized club is going to look more appealing to a course than simply offering a broad college discount. I would imagine most courses picture such a discount as attracting your stereotypical fraternity bros who try to play in flip flops and get wasted on the course. Not exactly an appealing demographic for a golf course, you know? So I would say the onus is on you to take care of as much as you can on the university end to create the opportunity - its not the club's responsibility. Otherwise you're just going to pay what all the other adults in the world have to pay :)

If none of that works out, find a course with an affordable range pass and develop your game. You can play a round or two a month at a pretty high level and without spending a lot of money if you are really working hard on your game on the practice tee.

Finally, you could always get a part time job at a course and get free golf that way.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

[quote name='drewtaylor21' timestamp='1426470342' post='11150431']
[quote name='GoldenBearCub' timestamp='1426469166' post='11150325']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As a grad student (almost done!) I feel your pain. I was lucky enough to play a bit of college golf, so daily play was free. That's the first recommendation - find a team or club team that allows you to play. If your school doesn't have a club team, try to form one. I'd bet there are others in your same position and a unified, organized club is going to look more appealing to a course than simply offering a broad college discount. I would imagine most courses picture such a discount as attracting your stereotypical fraternity bros who try to play in flip flops and get wasted on the course. Not exactly an appealing demographic for a golf course, you know? So I would say the onus is on you to take care of as much as you can on the university end to create the opportunity - its not the club's responsibility. Otherwise you're just going to pay what all the other adults in the world have to pay :)

If none of that works out, find a course with an affordable range pass and develop your game. You can play a round or two a month at a pretty high level and without spending a lot of money if you are really working hard on your game on the practice tee.

Finally, you could always get a part time job at a course and get free golf that way.
[/quote]

Thanks for the thorough response! Of course there are plenty of tooly folk my age, but I doubt any frat bros are gonna bother with an all out membership, that's money they could be using towards overpriced Chubbies shorts and muscle tanks or something.

Unfortunately being at the local community college, they have a competitive team which travels very often in the Summer, so that wouldn't fit the bill very well with part time work and summer classes.

All in all I'll probably stick to just a range pass and put aside a certain amount of ho'ing funds every month to treat myself to playing a variety of courses. I'm capable of putting in an entire day on the range and practice green (ESPECIALLY the practice green), but I feel I improve best working on my course management at this point in time. The swings I'm making at the moment are predictable and the dispersion is tight, but whenever it's lacking is when I usually hit the range to knock that groove back in.

Congrats on your progress so far along with your accomplishment of making the team! I would love to play for the varsity team back at MSU. I may just be able to squeak in as a walk on in if I gave it a whirl, but not being 100% certain of what passion I want to pursue as a career currently is my primary concern. Thinking about Med, Family thinks Business, I really just want to golf.. Haha.

Mizzy MP650 13.5 DI8x
S3 Pro MB 3-GW 130 X
Sun Mountain Swift X

Unfortunately, golf can be expensive. When I belonged to a private club and was on the Board, a young man who had grown up there, his father was a long-time member, wrote us a letter after he finished college. He had played golf in college and was pursuing a professional career. Since he was too old to still be on his father's membership, he asked if he could use the club to practice and play for free.

Now I know you aren't looking for free golf, but I might suggest when you call clubs, you offer to help out in the golf shop as sort of a trade. I think they might b more responsive. Quite frankly, if they made an exception to their membership policies for you, they would have to do it for everyone. But, if you demonstrate you're serious about wanting a discounted rate, and would work off the difference, they might be more accommodating.

By the way, the young man at our club was refused his request. When discussing it we all agreed we would have approved it if he said he would help out at the golf shop, pick the range, etc.

Looks like you are in the wrong country, over here it is very common to have a young adult membership that goes on a sliding scale that is much cheaper than a full adult. They are often even lower if you are still in full time education (college/university)

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

[color=#222222]My home course offers a few different kinds of memberships at discounts compared to a full member price.[/color]
[color=#222222][size="3"] [/size][/color]
[color=#222222]JR memberships 12-18 years old (Has tee time and other restrictions)[/color]
[color=#222222]Student memberships 18-25 with proof of attending accredited college or university (No restrictions on golf but no voting rights within the club) [/color]
[color=#222222]Young executive (for those no longer eligible for student pricing but under the age of 35) Full rights of the club as laid out by the board of governors.[/color]
[color=#222222]I fall into the young executive category. It's nice to be a full member at a course and have a bit of a discount while I start to earn more money![/color]

[color=#222222][color=#222222]I'm not sure any of this info helps you and your situation but what you are looking for does exist. I would call around to your local private courses and see what they offer.[/color][/color]

TaylorMade R11
PING G20 15° 3 wood
PING Karsten 22° 4 hybrid
PING Karsten 5-PW UW
PING Glide 54°, 58°
Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 V-Line

[quote name='oldpalchamp' timestamp='1426510762' post='11152201']
Unfortunately, golf can be expensive. When I belonged to a private club and was on the Board, a young man who had grown up there, his father was a long-time member, wrote us a letter after he finished college. He had played golf in college and was pursuing a professional career. Since he was too old to still be on his father's membership, he asked if he could use the club to practice and play for free.

Now I know you aren't looking for free golf, but I might suggest when you call clubs, you offer to help out in the golf shop as sort of a trade. I think they might b more responsive. Quite frankly, if they made an exception to their membership policies for you, they would have to do it for everyone. But, if you demonstrate you're serious about wanting a discounted rate, and would work off the difference, they might be more accommodating.

By the way, the young man at our club was refused his request. When discussing it we all agreed we would have approved it if he said he would help out at the golf shop, pick the range, etc.
[/quote]

I thoroughly appreciate this response! I've been waiting for them to open up for the season to go in and talk face to face about the issue to express my sincere interest in joining. A "work to play" proposition was what I was attempting to explain. I currently am a server part time at a relatively fancy restaurant, so I definitely don't want to give up that gig due to its high earnings/savings potential. I would be more than willing to pick the range there in the early mornings or late evenings!
If working there to compensate for my membership means a tight schedule I may just have to stick with a range membership, as school is still a top priority over golf, especially due to the fact that I'm uncertain of my career path. I definitely am not seeking any freebies or handouts; I've been paying for my golf since the age of 13 or so, and also paying for any other life expenses on my own including schooling, in which I'm extremely grateful towards my parents for raising me to budget every penny I make.

Sounds like I'm swimming across the pond! Don't have the money for a plane ticket just yet :)

Mizzy MP650 13.5 DI8x
S3 Pro MB 3-GW 130 X
Sun Mountain Swift X

In my experience, the biggest reason is college students aren't likely to spend money in the proshop and bar/restaurant. That is where courses truly make their biggest profits. Typically a college student, not saying you in this particular instance by any means, is just looking for golf and not the entire club atmosphere. I worked at a course in a college town, not affiliated with the school, and there was a student membership that was dirt cheap, but you never saw the student members in the lounge or spending money in the pro shop. They paid their dues, showed up, played, then went home. That's not what a club is really looking for when it comes to membership. That is my personal opinion on why clubs don't offer a student rate. Now public and city courses it just baffles me why they don't have a young adult season pass of some kind. Where I grew up and where I live now it was a direct jump when you turned 18 to the full adult price which was a jump upwards of $600-700. In this regards I agree that they are alienating the game at the public level by not offering a discounted season pass rate. Even if there were a few tee time restrictions it would be worth it.

I can't think of any in my area that openly offer a "student" membership rate. There are a few that will offer a college rate for a round with ID, and that is advertised. However, I'm sure if a student were to approach the clubs, they may be able to work something out based on the young executive (up to age 30/35) plan. Since it's not a common thing, it most likely isn't advertised, but still could be completely possible. You never know if you don't ask, right.

I think the reason that non-university affiliated courses don't offer student rates is just the difficulty in tracking such a thing. You very well could be 20-21 years old and come in and say you are a college student and not be in college. You can ask for a student ID and you may have been enrolled for a semester and have one to show but not actually be in school anymore. I know people that used their student ID from college to get into games on a student ticket for years until the school finally changed the student ID. It's also pretty easy to get a college kid to "lose" his ID, give his old one to you and you pay him to go get a new one. Had a graduate offer that deal to me while I was in school because we had a similar look. I just think there are a lot of variables that are too difficult to keep up with to offer a student membership outside of University courses.

As stated before, your best bet is probably golfnow, groupon, living social, or working at the course. Golf pros have a soft spot for people that love the game, so going in to the club and expressing your situation honestly to the pro could go a long way in getting him to work with you on working off your golf. Especially in this day and time where clubs are trying to save money regularly. My club recently eliminated paid cart staff and is offering free membership or cart to certain retirees and students so they can work off their play.

[quote name='mini_pure' timestamp='1426731506' post='11170603']
Coming from another college student the way to go is get a part time job at a golf course and bum free golf that way
[/quote]

Yep. This is how I got free golf all through college. I was usually able to play 6 days a week. Sometimes that was only 9 holes though.

Based on many of the comments and your replies you may be better off asking some of the public courses. You freely admit to bringing your own food to the movie and golf course, you admit you will mostly just bang balls on the range and use the putting green(for free while eating your own food). And in return you may become a doctor someday and perhaps stay in the same area after all that schooling and perhaps then join that club? Do I have that right? How could they turn that down? Sorry if that sounds harsh but it is just reality.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Thanks for all the replies to this. I enjoyed hearing some other perspectives as to why many clubs may not have this type of membership. I was looking to join a semi-private course originally so no true country club assets there to worry about such as minimum restaurant tabs and such.
I ended up heading in to my home course of the past 10 years to play my first round of the year and they asked me if I'd like to come back and work the pro shop. Part time job and free golf it is this year again, no complaints here!

Mizzy MP650 13.5 DI8x
S3 Pro MB 3-GW 130 X
Sun Mountain Swift X