2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Anyone buying the Arccos Golf Tracking System

[quote name='snagy2000' timestamp='1427061193' post='11192905']
I know people who do post scores and they have Arccos. Not sure why you wouldn't post a qualified 9 or 18 hole round. People over think this stuff!
[/quote]

It's not USGA legal so all rounds using the device are illegal rounds. They have recently made available a USGA conforming app. In order to make Arccos conforming a person needs to completely delete the regular Arccos app off the phone. While I don't care if people post score using the device, they shouldn't as set forth in the USGA's rules of golf.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does Arccos account for practice swings?

Does it just show a bunch of mulligans?

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1427677105' post='11242375']

[/quote]

I have never had a problem with practice swings registering a shot. My understanding is that Arccos addresses practice swings in two ways:

1) the sensors attached to your club can sense impact with the ball. How it does that, I cannot say, but hitting the ground does not activate a mis-read, in my experience. There have been situations where I clanked clubs together while carrying them club head down, and a shot was registered, but it was easily deletable from the app. I have not had that happen as a result of a practice swing. To prevent clanking clubs together from registering a shot, Arccos advises to carry the clubs upside down - grip downward - which de-activates the sensors.

2) it only registers the last shot taken from any position. So, any misreads - or actual mulligans - are discarded. So, only 1 shot from each position is recorded. If you want to count the "mulligan" as a stroke - OB or something -- then you would have to go back in and add the shot to make sure your score card is accurate. It's fairly simple adding a shot, and the website has video instructions on how to do it.

All things considered, I have not had any problems with the device registering practice swings.

Generally, I find Arccos to be very easy to use and low maintenance. Most rounds I just leave my phone in my pocket and take a look after the round. While there are situations where I have to make some edits, most holes are accurate.

[quote name='BD14' timestamp='1427746035' post='11247273']

[/quote]

I have never had a problem with practice swings registering a shot. My understanding is that Arccos addresses practice swings in two ways:

1) the sensors attached to your club can sense impact with the ball. How it does that, I cannot say, but hitting the ground does not activate a mis-read, in my experience. There have been situations where I clanked clubs together while carrying them club head down, and a shot was registered, but it was easily deletable from the app. I have not had that happen as a result of a practice swing. To prevent clanking clubs together from registering a shot, Arccos advises to carry the clubs upside down - grip downward - which de-activates the sensors.

2) it only registers the last shot taken from any position. So, any misreads - or actual mulligans - are discarded. So, only 1 shot from each position is recorded. If you want to count the "mulligan" as a stroke - OB or something -- then you would have to go back in and add the shot to make sure your score card is accurate. It's fairly simple adding a shot, and the website has video instructions on how to do it.

All things considered, I have not had any problems with the device registering practice swings.

Generally, I find Arccos to be very easy to use and low maintenance. Most rounds I just leave my phone in my pocket and take a look after the round. While there are situations where I have to make some edits, most holes are accurate.
[/quote]

Does your phone have to be in your pocket? I understand it's blue-tooth so is it possible to have your phone in your bag? I like to walk the course. If I set my bag next to the green and walk off to putt will it still register?

What's In The Bag 

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1427936953' post='11265425']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Does your phone have to be in your pocket? I understand it's blue-tooth so is it possible to have your phone in your bag? I like to walk the course. If I set my bag next to the green and walk off to putt will it still register?
[/quote]

I used mine for the first time yesterday (non-tournament round). I did leave the phone in my pocket the entire round and had no trouble with capturing shots.

It will take a few rounds to get used to the editing functions. I found myself paying more attention to the app than to concentrating on my game. I anticipate this will get better as I get more familiar with it.

I did follow the instructions and held my clubs (putter in particular) upside down until I was ready to putt. This seemed to help although I did have to go back and edit for a couple of holes where the device had the correct number of strokes but incorrect number of putts.

The analytics it gives you is eye-opening especially when you compare yourself to a pro like Billy Horschel. You can really see how good he is with the short game compared to a 14 cap like myself.

I feel the technology is sound and will help me identify and improve my game. I just need to spend more time with it.

I haven't tried the restricted app yet but will this weekend as I have a tournament round. We'll see how that goes.

Oh, one more thing, I have an iPhone 6 with a battery case. My battery did drain quite a lot over a round that lasted about 2.5 hours (first guy on the course). So for a round lasting 4.5 hours I would most likely have needed to turn on the battery case in order to recharge the phone's batt.

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1427936953' post='11265425']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I used mine for the first time yesterday (non-tournament round). I did leave the phone in my pocket the entire round and had no trouble with capturing shots.

It will take a few rounds to get used to the editing functions. I found myself paying more attention to the app than to concentrating on my game. I anticipate this will get better as I get more familiar with it.

I did follow the instructions and held my clubs (putter in particular) upside down until I was ready to putt. This seemed to help although I did have to go back and edit for a couple of holes where the device had the correct number of strokes but incorrect number of putts.

The analytics it gives you is eye-opening especially when you compare yourself to a pro like Billy Horschel. You can really see how good he is with the short game compared to a 14 cap like myself.

I feel the technology is sound and will help me identify and improve my game. I just need to spend more time with it.

I haven't tried the restricted app yet but will this weekend as I have a tournament round. We'll see how that goes.

Oh, one more thing, I have an iPhone 6 with a battery case. My battery did drain quite a lot over a round that lasted about 2.5 hours (first guy on the course). So for a round lasting 4.5 hours I would most likely have needed to turn on the battery case in order to recharge the phone's batt.

One other thing I'd like to mention about the value of this system. I've struggled for years to find a teaching pro willing to go all 18 holes for a playing lesson. If you think about it, that idea doesn't make financial sense to either party. He/She would have to charge me most of what Arccos costs to justify spending 4.5 hours watching me hack it around when they could get more customers in that same time period and build more repeat business.

Furthermore, I know that the teaching pro would not be able to give me the level of detail and analytics as Arccos. The pro would be watching for trends and/or other parameters such as course management.

I am a firm believer a good teaching pro can help your game if you can keep an open mind. I think Arccos is a great companion/supplemental piece to having a teaching pro.

For example, the data shows my trend is to miss left. Almost exclusively. Therefore, next round I'll leave my clubface a little more open without too much fear of hitting right.

That is how I plan to use this information.

One other thing I'd like to mention about the value of this system. I've struggled for years to find a teaching pro willing to go all 18 holes for a playing lesson. If you think about it, that idea doesn't make financial sense to either party. He/She would have to charge me most of what Arccos costs to justify spending 4.5 hours watching me hack it around when they could get more customers in that same time period and build more repeat business.

Furthermore, I know that the teaching pro would not be able to give me the level of detail and analytics as Arccos. The pro would be watching for trends and/or other parameters such as course management.

I am a firm believer a good teaching pro can help your game if you can keep an open mind. I think Arccos is a great companion/supplemental piece to having a teaching pro.

For example, the data shows my trend is to miss left. Almost exclusively. Therefore, next round I'll leave my clubface a little more open without too much fear of hitting right.

That is how I plan to use this information.

I like using the Arccos system, the biggest help to me is it shows I don't hit the ball as far I thought I did. I have alignment problems and it was nice to see in the stats how much I hit left of the pin. Used an aligmnent rod at the range and wow that improved my shots.

When you first use it. I found myself playing with it a lot during a round and drained the battery pretty low but I have a small charger that I can connect to it and keep it in my pocket without bothering me. Now that I am familiar with it I dont have to tinker with it as much and can edit if needed pretty quickly.

For the people wanting know if you can keep it on your push cart instead of your pocket I have found you can leave it on the push cart. I haven't had any problems with it not connecting. I still keep it on me while playing and using golf cart.

I love the system and it satifies the gadget freak in me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had some issues with it, but seeing now that it is most likely me. Lots of ghost shots and incorrect locations for around the greens.

I've been carrying multiple clubs, tossing them on the ground when I pick my club and always keeping my putter right side up while waiting to putt or on someone to finish out.

Until I read this I was thinking of switching back to Game Golf.

In search of solid contact...

I've now had two rounds with this device so far. Practice swings doesn't affect my score and I dont have to edit shots. Best to follow the method Arccos advised, which is to hold clubs upside down before using. I've only had to fix my putts as if i missed it, i just pick it up when its a gimme.

I love it so far. Shows me my weakness and my actual distances. I can start working on where I'm missing or fixing my alignment / swing. I think the first time I used it, i was too focused on the device on my club and my game was affected a bit. My next game, defintely didnt bother me.

If you're on the fence about it and love stats / info about your game, Get this! It'll break down your round / game / clubs for you statiscally. And like anything, you can take it for what its worth, just like getting a golf lesson, the feedback is great from a pro, but its up to the person to utilize that info to help your game or not.

[quote name='bjp1' timestamp='1420328442' post='10681193']
Have about 6 rounds in with mine, and really satisfied so far. Not much of anything to do but play. I occasionally check that the tap-in's recorded, but not much else to do. After 10+ years of recording stats, the only downside I find is not being able to identify where the flag is, or brig able to properly identify first putt distance. With that said, I still keep that detail so that I can input that into Shot-by-Shot.

Really happy with it so far.
[/quote] bjp1, do you have any additional thoughts about ARCCOS now that some months have passed? I'm one of those guys still on the fence but leaning towards ARCCOS.

When it's cart path only and you have to carry a few clubs across the fairway to save time, does it still actually cause a problem with the ARCCOS shot tracking when you lay the non-used clubs down and they happen to tap each other?

If you or anyone is interested, it would surely be beneficial to me to get your thoughts on this:
It seems that the data/statistics from the PGA Tour Shot Tracker is a standard one could measure ARRCOS against. Assumming Shot Tracker has essentially unbounded resources to provide any type of stats (and ARCCOS doesn't), can you put into relative perspective what you get (and can get) from ARCCOS?

Thanks in advance!

It would surely be beneficial to me to get your thoughts on this:

It seems that the data/statistics from the PGA Tour Shot Tracker is a standard one could measure ARRCOS against. Assumming Shot Tracker has essentially unbounded resources to provide any type of stats (and ARCCOS doesn't), can you put into relative perspective what you get (and can get) from ARCCOS?

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='wingfoot64' timestamp='1429611374' post='11405105']
I like using the Arccos system, the biggest help to me is it shows I don't hit the ball as far I thought I did.
[/quote]

Definitely shows that if the GPS is correct. I had some nuked drives in the past on certain holes that I was sure were around 320, but so far 302 was the longest on that hole. Iron distances were much closer to what I had expected which is the way I would expect it to be.

In search of solid contact...

[quote name='golfref66' timestamp='1430914892' post='11508721']
[quote name='bjp1' timestamp='1420328442' post='10681193']
Have about 6 rounds in with mine, and really satisfied so far. Not much of anything to do but play. I occasionally check that the tap-in's recorded, but not much else to do. After 10+ years of recording stats, the only downside I find is not being able to identify where the flag is, or brig able to properly identify first putt distance. With that said, I still keep that detail so that I can input that into Shot-by-Shot.

Really happy with it so far.
[/quote] bjp1, do you have any additional thoughts about ARCCOS now that some months have passed? I'm one of those guys still on the fence but leaning towards ARCCOS.

[b]When it's cart path only and you have to carry a few clubs across the fairway to save time, does it still actually cause a problem with the ARCCOS shot tracking when you lay the non-used clubs down and they happen to tap each other?[/b]

If you or anyone is interested, it would surely be beneficial to me to get your thoughts on this:

Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

I can answer the question you posted in bold. If you bring multiple clubs to your shot in cart path only, it won't interfere with Arccos recording the shot. The only time a shot will be entered is, when the club's handle is facing up (turns on the sensor and pairs with your phone), and once your shot is taking, the sensor gets the impact and marks the shot being taken. Once done with the shot, keep all club handles facing downward (to turn off the sensor).

I've played a few holes when its cart path only and had to bring a few clubs. It did not interfere with my shot entry to arccos at all.

Hope this helps and makes sense. If you loves statistics and want to know more about your game and distances, this is definitely a great tool.

[quote name='Sushiyoshi' timestamp='1430858377' post='11504939']
Can you use this at the range?
Is there separate data for range sessions or only for actual play?
[/quote]
The data is only for actual play. Essentially, the arccos tag on each club activates / turns on when the club's handle is facing up and knows when to start tracking from moment of impact. So trying to use this at the range won't work as it will only know the distance of the shot when you take your next shot from where the ball landed.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Sushiyoshi' timestamp='1430858377' post='11504939']
Can you use this at the range?
Is there separate data for range sessions or only for actual play?
[/quote]

This is one nice thing about a laser range finder. You can shoot targets on the range, then hit some balls to several different targets to get some yardages/clubs dialed in.

What's In The Bag 

Got Arccos last week and have played twice so far. Have GameGolf also. (2 yrs), and let me say I much prefer Arccos. I just couldn't get tapping built into my routine with GG. I have a skycaddie so I haven't used the Arccos system for yardage, except to compare to the skycaddie during my first round. +-2 yds. The second round I just turned it on and didn't look at it again. It didn't miss a shot! Did have to remove 2 phantom shots but the editing is so easy. By using the phones gps, it is much more accurate. it doesn't show me all over the course like GG did. I was constantly editing where I took shots in GG. I also like the fact you don't have to connect to a computer to up load rounds or edit. Just use the phone app. Lastly the stats are awesome! I love the handicapping the various aspects of your game; driving, approach, pitch/chip and putting.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Taylormade M2[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Nike Sumo 3w, 5w[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Nike CPR 26*[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged, 5-PW[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Cleveland 588 RTX 50,54,58[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Futura X7M DB[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Precision Pro NX7 Pro[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Arccos Game Tracker[/size][/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lordemsworth' timestamp='1432508872' post='11619910']
Any one found a early to use Arccos without an iPhone or iPad?
[/quote]

I don't think they will work with an iPad, just an iPhone. I think Arccos is still on the original model, there have been a few app and firmware updates.

[quote name='jml4' timestamp='1432429333' post='11615882']
What happens if I track stats, and then get a new club, like driver? Does anyone know if you can make note of that to differentiate the stats?
[/quote]

You can reassign the sensor to the new club, and if I recall 'retire' the prior driver. The stats for that club will be hidden, unless you want them to show with all club stats. I often moved my sensors between hybrids and long irons, but still have the stats from the original club. If you don't do that, and simply put the sensor on the new driver, the stats will aggregate without distinguishing a change in club.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

[quote name='Circaflex' timestamp='1433974777' post='11728152']im still torn between this ans gamegolf, do the arccos sensors affect the swing because of the weight? for instance someone who was fitted and went with custom shafts will it in turn defeat the purpose?[/quote]

No, doesn't affect weight. Depending on how you hold the club, may have to adjust to seeing/feeling the extended length with the sensor on.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

I didn't/haven't noticed any swing weight difference either. I'm sure there is some.... it is an object attached to the butt of the club. But not anything I can detect.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Taylormade M2[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Nike Sumo 3w, 5w[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Nike CPR 26*[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged, 5-PW[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Cleveland 588 RTX 50,54,58[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Futura X7M DB[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Precision Pro NX7 Pro[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Arccos Game Tracker[/size][/font][/color]