US Open

mikeweirfan ·  
mikeweirfanmikeweirfan Members  178WRX Points: 73Posts: 178 Fairways
Who will be the low amateur.
My money would be on Fowler, but i think Nick Taylor and Kevin Tway will have strong showings as well.
Posted:

Comments

• beachgrovejuniorbeachgrovejunior Members  1456WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,456
    cheering for Nick Taylor, seeing as he plays about an hour from where i live
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • golftitleistgolftitleist Jr. Boomers  858WRX Points: 0Posts: 858
    Definitley gonna be my boy Fowler, he definitley knows how to go low.
    Posted:
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members  9376WRX Points: 447Posts: 9,376 Titanium Tees
    I'd say Michael Thompson. He has played in 2 opens, and just played in the Masters and everyone knows the story that happened there, I think it will make him mentally stronger than the others. He and Michael Gilmore probably have the strongest resumes, Gilmore is the only other one to play in an open. None of the other young guys have played in an open and I think they'll get a case of nerves.

All that said, I'm rooting for Sean English, he's a local club pro from my area, gotta hope the local boy does well.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Sr Flex
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 
    PING G700 6-W KBS Alta CB R
    Vokey  50.10, 54.10 58..12
    Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 

• SamsquanchSamsquanch Lefty Boomers  1568WRX Points: 126Handicap: + 2Posts: 1,568 Platinum Tees
    I hope Nick Taylor does well.
    Posted:
  • stickmanstickman Jr. Boomers  1981WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,981 Bunkers
    RICKIE FOWLER !
    Posted:
  • A-TrainA-Train Members  162WRX Points: 0Posts: 162
    We followed Fowler around on the back nine last week at the NCAA Championship (Purdue - Kampen). He was real solid but his coach followed him the entire time and I'm talking tee to green to tee. He was playing well w/ a definite advantage from the coach's almost constant input. Please don't construe this to take anything away from Fowler. Just an observation.

Also, his coach was up on the green getting a read while Fowlers competitors were ready to approach. A kid from Stanford went ahead and lobbed over the coach's head, over the green, and into some 4' tall grass. Felt bad for the kid - wanted to strangle the OS coach.

I would not bet against Fowler.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ccpgolfccpgolf Members  526WRX Points: 0Posts: 526
    Rickie Fowler
    Posted:
  • frozen_ropefrozen_rope Banned  1987WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,987
    Jeff Wilson.

mikeweirfan wrote on Jun 6 2008, 10:03 AM:
    My money would be on Fowler, but i think Nick Taylor and Kevin Tway will have strong showings as well.
    Posted:
  • nchladeknchladek Jr. Boomers  115WRX Points: 0Posts: 115
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Fowler (or Thompson) made it. I checked the website and here are the amateurs who did make it:

Jeff Wilson

Jordan Cox

Derek Fathauer

Kevin Tway

Kyle Stanley

Nick Taylor

Kevin Henderson
    Posted:
  • golftitleistgolftitleist Jr. Boomers  858WRX Points: 0Posts: 858
    Fowler most definitley made it into the US Open.
    Posted:
  • beachgrovejuniorbeachgrovejunior Members  1456WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,456
    Fowler was first alternate, then Micheel WD'ed so Fowler got in

http://www.golfweek.com/commentaries/balicki-060608
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • mizunopromizunopro Members  17WRX Points: 0Posts: 17
    jordan cox!
    Posted:
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13837WRX Points: 1,379Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,837 Titanium Tees
    my money says none will make the cut
    Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • bjacksonbjackson Win The Day Marshals  5689WRX Points: 56Posts: 5,689 Marshals
    I'm really pulling for Jordan Cox, but I think Rickie Fowler will have the best turnout of the bunch.
    Posted:
  • PinhyPinhy Members  259WRX Points: 0Posts: 259
    UNC Golf wrote on Jun 6 2008, 05:03 PM:
    I'd say Michael Thompson. He has played in 2 opens, and just played in the Masters and everyone knows the story that happened there, I think it will make him mentally stronger than the others. He and Michael Gilmore probably have the strongest resumes, Gilmore is the only other one to play in an open. None of the other young guys have played in an open and I think they'll get a case of nerves.

All that said, I'm rooting for Sean English, he's a local club pro from my area, gotta hope the local boy does well.

agree with you on Thompson. Should be able to draw on his experience, especially the recent Masters.

Posted:
  • PinhyPinhy Members  259WRX Points: 0Posts: 259
    Pinhy wrote on Jun 8 2008, 07:12 PM:

agree with you on Thompson. Should be able to draw on his experience, especially the recent Masters.

Bingo..we were right (not a hard pick i dont think).
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • GehenHerzogGehenHerzog Members  779WRX Points: 0Posts: 779
    I'd say it was a pretty hard pick, considering Fowler is the best amateur in the country.
    Posted:
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members  9376WRX Points: 447Posts: 9,376 Titanium Tees
    Pinhy wrote on Jun 15 2008, 05:31 PM:
    Pinhy wrote on Jun 8 2008, 07:12 PM:

Bingo..we were right (not a hard pick i dont think).

Too bad this wasn't an official contest, I might have won a nice prize!!
    Posted:
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 

GehenHerzog wrote on Jun 15 2008, 06:17 PM:
    I'd say it was a pretty hard pick, considering Fowler is the best amateur in the country.

Maybe the hottest right now, but certainly doesn't have the playing experience of Thompson, which is why Thompson did so well. He's been there done it. I look for him to have a better pro career than Fowler. Too many of the young hot shots, come out thinking they can hit it 350 yards and not have to work on anything else. Thompson is a very good all around player, that now has performed strongly in two majors.
    Posted:
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 

• GehenHerzogGehenHerzog Members  779WRX Points: 0Posts: 779
    UNC Golf wrote on Jun 16 2008, 12:02 AM:
    GehenHerzog wrote on Jun 15 2008, 06:17 PM:

Maybe the hottest right now, but certainly doesn't have the playing experience of Thompson, which is why Thompson did so well. He's been there done it. I look for him to have a better pro career than Fowler. Too many of the young hot shots, come out thinking they can hit it 350 yards and not have to work on anything else. Thompson is a very good all around player, that now has performed strongly in two majors.

I guess you haven't watched Fowler much have you?

Fowler is one of the best ball strikers I have ever seen (especially with irons). His short game is pretty **** solid also.

I have seen Thompson quite a bit this year and shoots a lot more high scores than Fowler and Fowler shoots more low scores than Thompson. I think there is no question Fowler will have a better professional career.
    Posted:
  • Cameron Circle TCameron Circle T The Doc Junior Mod Squad  2218WRX Points: 64Posts: 2,218 Platinum Tees
    Who knows amateur career doesn't always equate to pro career.
    Posted:
This discussion has been closed.