We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Miura CB57 Review

 lumberman2462 ·  
lumberman2462lumberman2462  5341WRX Points: 200Members Posts: 5,341
Joined:  in Japanese and Non-US #1
Well, yesterday I inaugurated the 2015 Golf Season. It was almost 60 degrees so I took out my brand new CB57s.



First impressions:



1) Good turf interaction.

2) Slightly more offset than I realized but certainly not a deal breaker.

3) These irons may be a tad flat to my TBs. So a little adjustment may be in order.

4) Looking down with the club behind the ball is pretty good. Topline is fine.

5) Pure center strikes feel solid and not that much different that my TBs.



Keeping in mind that yesterday's outing was the first time I've made a swing since October.....



These irons aren't quite as long as my TBs. I could just be out of shape. Actually I am out of golf shape.



KBS Tour Shafts - the same as my TBs. For those that are really interested I try to get my shaft specs/stiffness the equivalent of halfway between a Dynamic Gold Stiff & Extra Stiff.



Trajectory is a tad higher and these clubs are surely better on mishits than TBs. Punches/knockdowns do not bore ilke my TBs...the ball can get up quickly.





I had no trouble working a fade but it took me several shots to keep from overcooking my draw.



I'll give them 4.5 out of 5....which is about what I give my TBs. I'm a pretty tough on ratings.....nothing gets a 5.



I'll update this review after I've had a chance to play a few rounds. For now these guys are gonna stay in the bag.
Posted:
SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade
«1345
5

Comments

  • RLL33RLL33  264WRX Points: 0ClubWRX Posts: 264
    Joined:  #2
    Thanks for the review. I'll be interested to follow your updates, too. Do you find a slightly different feel in all the Y-grind lines from TB's, etc...?
    Posted:
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font]

    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven MCB 5-AW[/font][/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font]

    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/font]
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MJisGOATMJisGOAT  4586WRX Points: 3Members Posts: 4,586
    Joined:  #3
    Interested to hear the updates as you get in the groove with them.



    I noticed a more heft impact sensation, little more forgiveness, and better look at address compared to my previous cb 501's.
    Posted:
    Cali
    TailorMaid
    t****
    "inefficient and dead rear cavity design"
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462  5341WRX Points: 200Members Posts: 5,341
    Joined:  #4
    RLL33 wrote:


    Thanks for the review. I'll be interested to follow your updates, too. Do you find a slightly different feel in all the Y-grind lines from TB's, etc...?




    I don't notice too much of a feel difference.



    I switch out my 51Y & 57Y with the 52K & 56K depending on conditions. Hard ground with tight lies and I'm playing the Y Grind wedges.....things are soft, wet contions or deeper rough and the Ks go in the bag. The common denominator of my wedge setup is that the 60K always stays in the bag. I took a grinder to the heel of the 60K....just a bit.



    My 57Y is bent down to 56 and I will hit the 56K just slightly further than the 56Y. Not sure why....but since I just know that it's going 4-5 yards further I'm not going to go through a lot of mental gymnastics trying to figure it out.
    Posted:
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • RLL33RLL33  264WRX Points: 0ClubWRX Posts: 264
    Joined:  #5
    I'm with you on the wedges. Y-grind for tight lies, others for others. But on the irons, at least the blades and MB's, the newer Y-grind's have a different feel for me than the older Miura-san's. Haven't tried the CB's (yet...).
    Posted:
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font]

    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven MCB 5-AW[/font][/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font]

    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/font]
  • FLOGMRFLOGMR  1288WRX Points: 128Members Posts: 1,288
    Joined:  edited Mar 29, 2015 #6
    Okay....I'll add a few comments....I have MB 001's and CB 57's as a combo set....just came from playing PP 9003 SN's. (and all other Miura models over the past years)

    The CB 57's have much better turf interaction for me, hit the ball the same distance (Maybe a bit further on pure strikes) but on a higher trajectory. They feel like they are compressing the ball better and more consistently.

    All my friends, who I play with regularly, have commented that the MB's and the 57"s "Sound" more solid...this from 2 guys who play PP 9003's and CB 501's as well as numerous guys I have played with so far.

    BTW...I have shot my age twice in the past month with the new set.........so " What's not to like???" image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462  5341WRX Points: 200Members Posts: 5,341
    Joined:  #7
    FLOG....I know you can play. But now you have to fess up and tell us your age.



    Posted:
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • FLOGMRFLOGMR  1288WRX Points: 128Members Posts: 1,288
    Joined:  #8
    Ahhhh....GolfWRX "Tell all" image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />

    I am 69 years young....have managed to shot my age at 67....68...and now 69....about 20 times in all so far image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    Posted:
  • RLL33RLL33  264WRX Points: 0ClubWRX Posts: 264
    Joined:  #9
    Congrats, man! Looks like I'll have to live a while longer to make that club... image/fan_1.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fan_1:' />
    Posted:
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font]

    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven MCB 5-AW[/font][/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font]

    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/font]
  • FLOGMRFLOGMR  1288WRX Points: 128Members Posts: 1,288
    Joined:  #10
    Thanks...it IS all about living long enough image/nyam.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nyam:' />
    Posted:
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462  5341WRX Points: 200Members Posts: 5,341
    Joined:  #11
    FLOGMR wrote:


    Ahhhh....GolfWRX "Tell all" image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />

    I am 69 years young....have managed to shot my age at 67....68...and now 69....about 20 times in all so far image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />




    That's good playing there.....I shot my age for 9 holes at age 30 - but it was only a par 34.
    Posted:
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • craniac76craniac76  2456WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 2,456
    Joined:  #12
    bout the comment on pure center strikes feel solid.... is this always the case with Miura irons? I had PP9003 straight neck, yes it felt solid. I was expecting butter soft feel for a pure forging from Japan....
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • golfer75golfer75  574WRX Points: 47Members Posts: 574
    Joined:  #13
    craniac76 wrote:


    bout the comment on pure center strikes feel solid.... is this always the case with Miura irons? I had PP9003 straight neck, yes it felt solid. I was expecting butter soft feel for a pure forging from Japan....


    Miuras don't have a buttery soft feel....that have more of a dense solid feel. i have owned quite a few miuras too. If you are looking for that really soft feel, i would suggest trying epons....about as soft as it gets.
    Posted:
  • craniac76craniac76  2456WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 2,456
    Joined:  #14
    golfer75 wrote:

    craniac76 wrote:


    bout the comment on pure center strikes feel solid.... is this always the case with Miura irons? I had PP9003 straight neck, yes it felt solid. I was expecting butter soft feel for a pure forging from Japan....


    Miuras don't have a buttery soft feel....that have more of a dense solid feel. i have owned quite a few miuras too. If you are looking for that really soft feel, i would suggest trying epons....about as soft as it gets.




    Even the blades have that solid feel?
    Posted:
  • BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative  4970WRX Points: 457Members Posts: 4,970
    Joined:  #15
    I have the bb, and they are not as soft as my Vegas, but they are a little softer than mizuno with that trademark dense sensation. I for one prefer the dense sticky feel with more than adequate "softness" over something that is soft for softs sake. I am a feel player, and to me, feel means just that, feel. Yes I love soft like most, but My BBs are a "feel" that connects with me more than any other club I have hit.....
    Posted:
    Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.
  • MJisGOATMJisGOAT  4586WRX Points: 3Members Posts: 4,586
    Joined:  #16
    craniac76 wrote:

    golfer75 wrote:

    craniac76 wrote:


    bout the comment on pure center strikes feel solid.... is this always the case with Miura irons? I had PP9003 straight neck, yes it felt solid. I was expecting butter soft feel for a pure forging from Japan....


    Miuras don't have a buttery soft feel....that have more of a dense solid feel. i have owned quite a few miuras too. If you are looking for that really soft feel, i would suggest trying epons....about as soft as it gets.




    Even the blades have that solid feel?
    I'll simplify it for you, all Miura irons 9003 on through baby blades, have that solid oomph sensation.



    I use to think I knew what soft felt/sounded like, but actually I've never felt/heard soft in an iron head. Soft is for charmin, solid is Miura.
    Posted:
    Cali
    TailorMaid
    t****
    "inefficient and dead rear cavity design"
  • craniac76craniac76  2456WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 2,456
    Joined:  #17
    MJisGOAT wrote:

    craniac76 wrote:

    golfer75 wrote:

    craniac76 wrote:


    bout the comment on pure center strikes feel solid.... is this always the case with Miura irons? I had PP9003 straight neck, yes it felt solid. I was expecting butter soft feel for a pure forging from Japan....


    Miuras don't have a buttery soft feel....that have more of a dense solid feel. i have owned quite a few miuras too. If you are looking for that really soft feel, i would suggest trying epons....about as soft as it gets.




    Even the blades have that solid feel?
    I'll simplify it for you, all Miura irons 9003 on through baby blades, have that solid oomph sensation.



    I use to think I knew what soft felt/sounded like, but actually I've never felt/heard soft in an iron head. Soft is for charmin, solid is Miura.




    all irons feel solid on pure center strikes.... cast or forged.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MJisGOATMJisGOAT  4586WRX Points: 3Members Posts: 4,586
    Joined:  #18
    craniac76 wrote:

    MJisGOAT wrote:

    craniac76 wrote:

    golfer75 wrote:

    craniac76 wrote:


    bout the comment on pure center strikes feel solid.... is this always the case with Miura irons? I had PP9003 straight neck, yes it felt solid. I was expecting butter soft feel for a pure forging from Japan....


    Miuras don't have a buttery soft feel....that have more of a dense solid feel. i have owned quite a few miuras too. If you are looking for that really soft feel, i would suggest trying epons....about as soft as it gets.




    Even the blades have that solid feel?
    I'll simplify it for you, all Miura irons 9003 on through baby blades, have that solid oomph sensation.



    I use to think I knew what soft felt/sounded like, but actually I've never felt/heard soft in an iron head. Soft is for charmin, solid is Miura.




    all irons feel solid on pure center strikes.... cast or forged.
    in that case, what's your argument?
    Posted:
    Cali
    TailorMaid
    t****
    "inefficient and dead rear cavity design"
  • PepsiDuckPepsiDuck  1871WRX Points: 131Members Posts: 1,871
    Joined:  #19
    I love my CB57s after playing them for a few weeks. Coming from CB202s and recently from Mizuno MP4/MP15. Biggest difference I've experienced is in trajectory. Identical trajectory from 4i to PW. That is, my 4i flies as high as my PW. I love that.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M2 (2017) 10.5* - Aldila Synergy Black 70TX
    TaylorMade M2 (2017) Tour 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 757 X
    Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
    Miura CB57 4-P - KBS C-Taper Lite X
    Miura Series 1957 Wedges - 51* (Y), 56* (K) - KBS C-Taper Lite X
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 60*
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
  • chiromikeychiromikey  1034WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 1,034
    Joined:  #20
    PepsiDuck wrote:
    ...Biggest difference I've experienced is in trajectory. Identical trajectory from 4i to PW. That is, my 4i flies as high as my PW. I love that.




    That's the way it's supposed to be. Sounds like you finally got fitted into the right set up.
    Posted:
  • golfasaurusgolfasaurus  730WRX Points: 55Members Posts: 730
    Joined:  #21
    The CB57s play great and they are very easy to launch.



    Posted:
  • CGMCGM  72WRX Points: 46Members Posts: 72
    Joined:  #22
    I just ordered a set of heads to replace my MC 102. Can anyone comment on the difference?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Batman1971Batman1971  493WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 493
    Joined:  #23
    CGM wrote:


    I just ordered a set of heads to replace my MC 102. Can anyone comment on the difference?


    Haven't hit the MC102 but like yourself I have a set of the heads at my fitters place .

    I'm currently trying out the 7 iron with a C-Taper Lite S flex and a 6 iron with a Modus 120 S flex .

    Once I've decided the shaft that suits me best I'll have the rest of the set made up .

    So far though I love the 57s . Launch , feel , feedback's awesome and the leading edge grind rocks which is giving me fantastic turf interaction .

    I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you get them in play .

    What shaft will you be using ?
    Posted:
    Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
    PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
    PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
    Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
    Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
    Yamada Shogun
  • CGMCGM  72WRX Points: 46Members Posts: 72
    Joined:  #24
    My heads arrive next week at my fitter. They will be installed on Recoil 807 F3 flex. I moved to graphite last year due to a wrist injury and am never going back to steel. First round is on the 18th. Stay tuned.
    Posted:
  • Batman1971Batman1971  493WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 493
    Joined:  edited Apr 6, 2015 #25
    CGM wrote:


    My heads arrive next week at my fitter. They will be installed on Recoil 807 F3 flex. I moved to graphite last year due to a wrist injury and am never going back to steel. First round is on the 18th. Stay tuned.


    You'll love the 57s !

    I tried the Recoil 95s last year in some Epons and neither worked for me .

    Will look forward to hearing how they play for you .
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
    PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
    PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
    Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
    Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
    Yamada Shogun
  • chiromikeychiromikey  1034WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 1,034
    Joined:  #26
    I don't recall hearing much positive about any Recoil except the Protos. Hope they work out for you.
    Posted:
  • CGMCGM  72WRX Points: 46Members Posts: 72
    Joined:  #27
    The Protos get all the love. I had the 807 up against the Steelfiber and various other graphite shafts. I was fit on a Trackman and the numbers told the whole story. In my first year with the Recoil my index went from 9.5 to 6.3.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • FLOGMRFLOGMR  1288WRX Points: 128Members Posts: 1,288
    Joined:  #28
    Jack loves his CB 57's....everyone see him make his hole in one with one of them today?
    Posted:
  • Batman1971Batman1971  493WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 493
    Joined:  #29
    FLOGMR wrote:


    Jack loves his CB 57's....everyone see him make his hole in one with one of them today?




    I did see that and hoped he still had the 57s in the bag .

    Glad to hear he does .

    What a shot !
    Posted:
    Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
    PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
    PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
    Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
    Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
    Yamada Shogun
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462  5341WRX Points: 200Members Posts: 5,341
    Joined:  #30
    I guess everyone knows why Jack plays the CB57s????



    Because he's Jack Nicklaus and he can play whatever the **** golf club he wants to play.



    It's a nice validation for the rest of us.
    Posted:
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • csrjrcsrjr  205WRX Points: 1Members Posts: 205
    Joined:  #31


    I guess everyone knows why Jack plays the CB57s????



    Because he's Jack Nicklaus and he can play whatever the **** golf club he wants to play.



    It's a nice validation for the rest of us.




    Wow. I did not know that... ! I always just imagined he'd play Nicklaus clubs...
    Posted:
    Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Comp KK 60 g Stiff
    Callaway Razr Fit 15* TourSPX vts silver
    Mizuno MP hybrid 23* Fubuki S
    Miura PP9003sn 5i - PW Aerotech SF80
    Mizuno JPX 50* TP4 55* TP4 60*
    Scotty Cameron Newport2
5

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.