BridgeStone's new True Balance Putters from Demo Day

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1390415249' post='8509905']
The overall looks, aside from the grip, aren't bad at all. But a stand up putter? Why? I occasionally see little old ladies that set the putter down to align their putt and then scoot around to stroke it, but how is this helpful in any meaningful way? Color me a little confounded by B-stone as well.
[/quote]

I once saw a pro use one of these stand up putters in a tournament. He would line the face, while crouched behind the ball, exactly to his intended target line every time and then setup to the putter. It was a bit weird looking...

EDIT: This was years ago, might've been a Ben Ross putter.

The insert almost looks Bobby Grace-ish. Hope it's as good as Grace's insert. One of the only inserts I've ever gotten along with.

TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

Hmmm. I like the mallet design but don't particularly care for inserts. Don't really care for the graphite shaft or the grip, either, but I'd have to try it to really judge it. I think a steel shaft and a Super Stroke grip might really help.

One concern I would have is that a 360g head with such a light weight shaft and grip would make the swing weight off the charts. It would seem like it might be difficult to put a smooth stroke on it being so head-heavy but again, it's tough to tell with out trying it. Maybe it would need a 100g Tour Lock Weight, too. LOL!

PING G Kuro Kage HBP 60
Callaway XR16 3 & 5W Tensei CK Blue 70
PING G25 23 Hybrid GD Tour AD 85g Hyb
Callaway Apex CF16 5-GW Recoil 780ES
Callaway MD3 54 & 58 Recoil 110
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red / SS Flatso 1.0
Bridgestone Tour B330

So, they could have had this:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/944297-kenny-giannini-g1-prototype/page__p__8332283__hl__+bridgestone#entry8332283"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/944297-kenny-giannini-g1-prototype/page__p__8332283__hl__+bridgestone#entry8332283[/url]

...but decided to go with the yellow pos instead?

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Hold on... let me get this straight...

In an early morning round of golf, I walk up to a green that I just missed with a wedge and my putter. I go to set down the putter so I can hit my chip shot, but before I can put a tee in the ground to rest the grip on, to keep it from getting wet, the putter just stands up all by itself? So I don't have to fuss around with keeping my putter grip dry while playing a wet course anymore?

GENIUS!

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Mikey Town' timestamp='1390423895' post='8510945']

In an early morning round of golf, I walk up to a green that I just missed with a wedge and my putter. I go to set down the putter so I can hit my chip shot, but before I can put a tee in the ground to rest the grip on, to keep it from getting wet, the putter just stands up all by itself? So I don't have to fuss around with keeping my putter grip dry while playing a wet course anymore?

GENIUS!
[/quote]

All fine until you turn to walk off the green and catch the handle right in your B330's. lol

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Okay...I gotta be honest...just from pure asthetics, I don't care for it (blade/Anser putter). The head shape, insert, shaft color, engravings/colors...just make it look like cheap no-name putter. I hate to say it since I like Bstone a lot, but that's my impression.

Perhaps the performance can over come my initial impressions, but sometimes the "art" of making a fine looking piece of equipment needs to match it's performance.

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1390423208' post='8510875']
So, they could have had this:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/944297-kenny-giannini-g1-prototype/page__p__8332283__hl__+bridgestone#entry8332283"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ne#entry8332283[/url]

...but decided to go with the yellow pos instead?
[/quote]
That's pretty nice. Maybe they'll have more "GI" putters with these balanced putters and still do a more traditional design?

[quote name='Mikey Town' timestamp='1390423895' post='8510945']

GENIUS!
[/quote]
That's a good point. Still, I'd be more concerned with how it rolls the rock than worrying about a wet grip.

[quote name='^m9' timestamp='1390408778' post='8509025']
Hmm, not quite sure I understand BStone and their releases.

Many on WRX going ape-sh1t for follow ups to the J40 CBs and DPCs (myself included), so what does BridgeStone do? "Guys, let's bring out some cool putters that stand up on their own, yeah that's it!!"

Don't get it.
[/quote]

+1

I'm with you. The mallet looks good. As for a stading putter? My buddies would laugh all the way to the bank on the first tee. :)

Putter? Whatever Works

[quote name='sergizmo' timestamp='1390413210' post='8509633']
The 35 gram graphite shaft and 20 gram foam grip will completely kill any impact feel. Goodbye distance control.
[/quote]

Pure speculation should not be presented as fact. As I always say with putters like this, give it a roll then offer your opinions.

I am not a fan of this putter's looks/design either. But I wouldn't comment on its performance or feel based solely on my expectations.

Mad respect on the CNC though. I am a fan of your work.

[quote name='TripleGrindSole' timestamp='1390552829' post='8522113']
The 35 gram graphite shaft and 20 gram foam grip will completely kill any impact feel. Goodbye distance control.
[/quote]

Pure speculation should not be presented as fact. As I always say with putters like this, give it a roll then offer your opinions.

I am not a fan of this putter's looks/design either. But I wouldn't comment on its performance or feel based solely on my expectations.

[/quote]

Thanks.

More of an educated guess than pure speculation. Impact feel is vibration transmitted through the club to the players hands. A super light graphite shaft and a foam grip will absorb a LOT of vibration.

Completely neutral here, not trying to slag any company.

They had one goal in mind, all the weight in the head. In my opinion how they have acheived this will have a very negative side effect.

[quote name='tiggah' timestamp='1390417929' post='8510263']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1390415249' post='8509905']
The overall looks, aside from the grip, aren't bad at all. But a stand up putter? Why? I occasionally see little old ladies that set the putter down to align their putt and then scoot around to stroke it, but how is this helpful in any meaningful way? Color me a little confounded by B-stone as well.
[/quote]

I once saw a pro use one of these stand up putters in a tournament. He would line the face, while crouched behind the ball, exactly to his intended target line every time and then setup to the putter. It was a bit weird looking...

EDIT: This was years ago, might've been a Ben Ross putter.
[/quote]

Haha! Great idea. That could catch on.

[quote name='sergizmo' timestamp='1390587408' post='8524405']
[quote name='TripleGrindSole' timestamp='1390552829' post='8522113']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks.

More of an educated guess than pure speculation. Impact feel is vibration transmitted through the club to the players hands. A super light graphite shaft and a foam grip will absorb a LOT of vibration.

Completely neutral here, not trying to slag any company.

They had one goal in mind, all the weight in the head. In my opinion how they have acheived this will have a very negative side effect.
[/quote]

I disagree with your educated guess. Graphite will always deliver more feel than steel to the grip. Hit some iron shots with a steel and a graphite and see which has more feel. Plus how exactly would a 20 gram grip give less feel than a standard 60 or 80 gram grip? If a grip has more mass then more vibration will be absorbed.

[quote name='golferperson' timestamp='1390611707' post='8526697']

I disagree with your educated guess. Graphite will always deliver more feel than steel to the grip. Hit some iron shots with a steel and a graphite and see which has more feel. Plus how exactly would a 20 gram grip give less feel than a standard 60 or 80 gram grip? If a grip has more mass then more vibration will be absorbed.
[/quote]

So if a golfer has arthritic or joint pain, what kind of iron shaft will they use? Graphite. Why, because it absorbs vibration and shock. This is not speculation, this is FACT.
A graphite shafted iron feels numb at IMPACT comapred to a steel shafted one. Yes I have swung a few. We are talking about impact feel here, not how the head feels during the swing.

With regards to the grip, it's not about weight but density. The 20 gram grip has a very low density with a lot of space (air) inside the material. If a grip were made of bubble wrap or a thin layer of insulation would it transmit a lot of impact feel? No.

I'm not completely disregarding the possible benefits of this putter. The design will achieve a very high swingweight will a low overall weight. The head will feel very heavy during the SWING which may help a lot of golfers to smooth things out. However, I stand by my statement that the feel at impact will be muffled which will hurt distance control.

[quote name='sergizmo' timestamp='1390670998' post='8529949']
[quote name='golferperson' timestamp='1390611707' post='8526697']
[/quote]

So if a golfer has arthritic or joint pain, what kind of iron shaft will they use? Graphite. Why, because it absorbs vibration and shock. This is not speculation, this is FACT.
A graphite shafted iron feels numb at IMPACT comapred to a steel shafted one. Yes I have swung a few. We are talking about impact feel here, not how the head feels during the swing.

With regards to the grip, it's not about weight but density. The 20 gram grip has a very low density with a lot of space (air) inside the material. If a grip were made of bubble wrap or a thin layer of insulation would it transmit a lot of impact feel? No.

I'm not completely disregarding the possible benefits of this putter. The design will achieve a very high swingweight will a low overall weight. The head will feel very heavy during the SWING which may help a lot of golfers to smooth things out. However, I stand by my statement that the feel at impact will be muffled which will hurt distance control.
[/quote]

I see your point. No arguments here. I guess my definition of feel is a little different than what your saying. I spoke with the club manager for the new putter at the show and they did player testing and players were better with distance control with the BS putter. They felt awesome and not at all like you would loose feel. Wonder why people don't feel like you loose feeling with light putter heads and super heavy grips. I feel like I have no feel whatsoever with a counter balance putter.

• 2 months later...

These things are on the shelves now and everyone needs to give it a roll. All this Sht talk gets thrown out the window after you've rolled it and wonder why your distance control is so spot on. With all of these putter manufactures making the same deep milled crap, it's nice to see something new that actually works.

I have no idea why it works but your grip pressure will be light, the ball will roll without skidding, and you will stroke it the correct distance.

Give it a shot!