Is it me...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most of them think they are WAY better than they really are!!

although its obvious, thats so freaking true and i say it so much but no one else will say the same. god thanks for saying that! yeah i mean i wish i could say im a 2 or +1 but im an honest 8 but have been hitting it well lately and would say a good 6.5 or 6... but bad day wow looking around 9 or 10!

Why would a junior golfer be on here who is a 18 handicap? This site is for people who care about golf and want to improve. HOWEVER, that being said, I see SOME MAJOR BS on this board. I know of one junior on here whose handicap changes like every day in their sig...one day it's +3 the other it says 6. Then to top it off this person doesn't have a WITB photo edition but they say in their sig that they got all the hot stuff and that their clubs change weekly.

It's quite simple, the Juniors on here have started younger, and have much more time for dedication.

If you are a teenager, it takes alot of dedication for the sport to be on a golf forum. Teenagers are also more athletic than alot of adults, and that gives them a huge advantage.

[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Bridgestone J33R 460 9.5* - Aldila Voodoo XNV6[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]TEE XCG6 15* - Testing [/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Ping Rapture 18* - Aldila NV 105-X[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Ping Rapture 24* - Project X 6.5[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Cobra '08 Pro CB Forged 5-PW - Project X 6.5 (Satin)[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Vokey SM 50* and 54* - DG S400[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Callaway X-Tour Forged PM Grind 58* - DG S400[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Seemore M1 Milled[/size][/font]

Be careful with a thread like this, keep it healthy without too much arguing.

Theres a mix of great players, decent players, and normal players across the board here. I'm no where near as good as some of the players who I know are great on this board, I'm just your average run of the mill golfer who can shoot 80 on an average day, but blow up the next day and shoot 100. Its happened, some people here can attest to that.

I think everyone just needs to be true to themselves, because posting a "fake" number on a website isn't going to get you better. In fact, I don't see guys who say they are good golfers as "better" or higher up in pecking order than everyone else. In my mind, you went through the time to register on this site and post on this site, because you simply love golf. Thats what this board is here for, not a "Who's better than Who" convention.

Vince

Jr Mod Squad

I am no longer a junior. But I was a very good junior player. I started playing when I was 12 and I was breaking 80 by the age of 14. All of that without lessons. I watched the Jack Nicklaus "Golf My Way" videos and the Bobby Jones series videos and learned from that. I won quite a few junior tournaments during my time. I was the MVP of my high school team as a freshman. After that I didn't play for my high school again. I stuck with state tournaments, with alot of success. I was shooting even par on a regular basis by the age of 16.

• 1 month later...
i am 16 and played golf when i was younger, but then gave it up for a bit to play travel hockey, i just recently picked up golf again, and i believe that i have gotten so good, simply because the dicipline hockey gave me, i do spend a good bit of time at the course every day, and put in considerable time at the gym, i dont do this because i play on a junior tour or because i think i have a shot at college golf or professional golf, i just do it because i am just wanting to be the best i can be, my typical schedule during golf season, is as follows

5a-6a run

6a-630a shower, eat, get ready for school and leave to school

650a-730a go over previous day practice and workout and plan today

730a-1130a School

1145a-1245 practice, run, or lift

1p-2p school

2p-dark practice/play golf (dark around 8p now)

8p-10p lift (or whenever they kick me out of gym)

10p-12a eat dinner, shower, homework, generally check out before 12

so that is basically my schedule, i take it easier on weekends and take the oppertunity to sleep in, but the 12 on schedule is pretty much the same, so i hope this helped you see that juniors (at least me and some friends) do put in a lot of time and effort to get our handicaps down and keep them down, as of last saturday i am a 2 handicap

pm if yall have any questions :(

Try doing that when your thirty and have a family, a child and a crappy job...sorry - do I sound bitter?

Jesus christ..I couldn't have done that at 16...

Seriously, you eat dinner at 10pm-12am, then wake up at 5? That's horrible for your body. I don't care how old you are.

I believe that most of the juniors on this board post their honest handicaps. I believe that they're really that good, with the exception of a few. I've played with a few guys a couple years out of college, that only play about once a month, who hold plus handicaps. When we played, they were birdie-ing left and right, and ended up shooting 70 and 71.

If all we had to do was go to school, take a few tests, and then play golf afterwards, we'd be pretty darn good too. At my local club, the high school kids would come out every afternoon around 3:30, and putt for an hour, and then take up the entire driving range for another hour, all while the coach watched and gave pointers. Mind you that this is a private country club. They then usually walk 9 holes, and go home.

Imagine if you can play golf for free, 4 or 5 days a week, with a coach on your back, doing drills, hitting balls, and putting. You'd better be a 5 handicap or lower!

I wished I played in high school. Too bad golf wasn't "cool" until I became 25, and got married and started working. Now that I'm 31, I can't get enough of it. Funny how it works.

not all juniors are vanity golfers, im 17 and a 7 rcga handicap from the tips at my course, so a 7.8 factor or something

look at my scores and you'll see my 92 blow up days and my low round of 73, my 100-105 scores from when i was 12 etc.

dont hate on juniors because some mess with their handicaps, also i think that in general the juniors that are members of golfwrx

are a bit better than most people their age, if not alot more

• 1 year later...

I wish our handicap system was based on tournaments only. I play SO much better in tournaments than in regular play at my club. I hate that everyone else that applies for the tournaments are anywhere from 3 to +4, but my scores are very close their's in the same tournaments, if not the same. The problem is, if my handicap is 7, and thiers is 3, they get in the tournament. And if i dont get in the tournaments with that handicap, I can't play in many tournaments. So if i don't have many tournament finishes to put on the application, they get in over me as well. We'll see what happens with the next one i apply for, though.

I've got to figure out how to play like i do in tournaments when I'm practicing.

i am 16 and played golf when i was younger, but then gave it up for a bit to play travel hockey, i just recently picked up golf again, and i believe that i have gotten so good, simply because the dicipline hockey gave me, i do spend a good bit of time at the course every day, and put in considerable time at the gym, i dont do this because i play on a junior tour or because i think i have a shot at college golf or professional golf, i just do it because i am just wanting to be the best i can be, my typical schedule during golf season, is as follows

5a-6a run

6a-630a shower, eat, get ready for school and leave to school

650a-730a go over previous day practice and workout and plan today

730a-1130a School

1145a-1245 practice, run, or lift

1p-2p school

2p-dark practice/play golf (dark around 8p now)

8p-10p lift (or whenever they kick me out of gym)

10p-12a eat dinner, shower, homework, generally check out before 12

so that is basically my schedule, i take it easier on weekends and take the oppertunity to sleep in, but the 12 on schedule is pretty much the same, so i hope this helped you see that juniors (at least me and some friends) do put in a lot of time and effort to get our handicaps down and keep them down, as of last saturday i am a 2 handicap

pm if yall have any questions :friends:

ive had schedules like that before, you must have came up with that one this morning, dont worry cause youll make a new easier one in a few days, but if you are working out four hours a day :russian_roulette: , and only sleeping 5 hours a night, you might want to cool it cause youll have a heart attack when your 50 years old.

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 LST 14.5*

Mizuno Pro 225 2-PW

Mizuno T22 52* & 58*

Ping Isoforce Anser F

Vessel Cart Bag

true!

growing up playing junior golf i ALWAYS see juniors with low handicaps even though they arnt very good. ALL JUNIORS ARE VANITY HANDICAPPERS

TRUER! personally im no where near the best junior... i practice alot(3 hours a day) im 15 and a 1, ive seen juniors with handicaps lower than me that arent that good, and ive seen some that are 2 higher than me that are just amazing, but they have a couple of blow up holes when they play... handicaps dont mean s***

Agreed, but the true players don't do it that much. I thinkit has to do alot with the pressure to be good if you play an "diffrent" sport, football guys don't have to be good to be considered one of the athletic ones, where as golfers have to be pretty good to get respect.

Exactly...if you play any of the main high school sports(baseball,basketball,football) all you really have to do is make the team to get respect from your peers. In golf ints totally different. The only guys that get recognition are the guys that make it to the state championships or get a full ride somewhere

Cobra Speedzone 9* w/ Tensei Pro White 70x
Mizuno ST200 15* w/Accra TZ5 100x Prototype
Taylormade P790 2i w/Recoil 120x Prototype
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4i-5i w/DG X7
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 6i-PW w/DG X7
Mizuno S18 50*/57* w/DG X100
Callaway MD5 64* w/DG S400
Kevin Burns Custom 9304

Most juniors do have lower handicaps and I agree that it has to do with the amount of time they have. I've lost that time now with my Senior year and work, but I haven't gone out with my h'cap (mainly because I've done a major rejig with my swing, should be going down when school finishes), which is a good thing :russian_roulette:.

On handicap systems, I agree that the R&A handicap system is a lot closer to average then the USGA, as it is not so much your "potential", and this is probably due to it being purely (well here in Aust.) competition based. That means my handicap is only counted from the tips in competition play, and pretty close to what I normally shoot so that if I have a good round I can win, but I have to have a really good round (shoot pretty close to even) to do that. I'm currently off 8.7, and from my stats am averaging this year around 79-80 on a par 71 (only played a handful of competition rounds though :friends:), so you can see that my h'cap is pretty close to my current average, whereas, as one boy stated there was a friend of his off 2.8 or something that was averaging around 79 in tournament golf...

Cheers

Brodie

I think that only the most obsessed-with-golf juniors go on forums and boards like this, therefore the majority of them have low handicaps because they are obsessed. I got hooked playing golf myself, I would say that being obsessed with golf isn't all bad.

In regards to handicaps, I would have to say that most junior golfers only post their best scores. But in the end, you're only hurting yourself by doing that.

i think that the reason the majority of juniors on here have low scores, is because only the good junior golfers are keen enough to be frequent posters on a golf forum. Simply put, a lot of the not so die hard junior golfers would rather be doing something else.

Also, perhaps juniors feel like they have to say they are a lower handicap than they are, because who is going to listen to a 20+ handicap junior golfer?

just some ideas i had. BTW, im a junior and my handicap is 20 (UK), so i guess i am the exception :D

I think that only the most obsessed-with-golf juniors go on forums and boards like this, therefore the majority of them have low handicaps because they are obsessed. I got hooked playing golf myself, I would say that being obsessed with golf isn't all bad.

In regards to handicaps, I would have to say that most junior golfers only post their best scores. But in the end, you're only hurting yourself by doing that.

Exactly. There are alot of great players here, I wish I could say I am one of them but I'm not. I'm only good for taking down the assistant pro every now and then. Other than that, I'll shoot high 70s on a so-so day, and low to mid 80s on an absolutely atrocious day. Its not great obviously but it's enough to get me around the course and make it fun to try and go lower.

Oh, and I work at the golf course more than I play, so the crazy workout practice schedule is just not for me. I'll hit the range for half an hour on break and maybe play a couple holes after I get out. But maybe that's why I'm not good.

i think that you have to be a pretty die hard junior to be posting frequently on a forum like this. i have shown the site and some of the threads to some of the guys i play with and they just laugh and call it 'sad' as well as calling bs on most of the WITB signatures and handicaps. its all because they dont take as much time or interest in the game as we do. to the OP its because all the 'obsessed' juniors post on here and so probably have lower handicaps because of the obsession. go to any club and look at the handicaps of all of the juniors whether it be under the U.S system or the UK and i would say that most would be 15 or more. at my club this is definately the case and so your only getting a reflection of the better players handicaps. You could say the same thing about the number of X flex shafts in play. i genuinley believe that 95% of the stuff the juniors on this site say is legit with the odd exception.

on a side note not ALL juniors are vanity handicappers and think they are better than they are.

My son is 15 turning 16 in October and very early on, I warned him about vanity handicapping. He is now a 7 handicap in our home course, not too long or difficult, 6500 yards, par 71 and 125 slope rating. My handicap goes from 7 to 9 and now I have been playing to a 9.8 and beat him in the last 2 of 3 matches. So I thought for sure, his handicap was more of a vanity handicap, he kicked my a** last Sunday shooting a 78 with 3 double bogeys. He shoots in the 70s more than I do these days. He had and still does take formal golf lessons which I never did and unlike most golfers, he practices chipping and putting more than the long game and every now and then, he goes insane and drops a lot of long bombs. He also rarely misses 3 footers because I aslways made him putt those.

I think juniors these days have more information in golf and life in general than we had so they learn a lot faster.

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Yamaha RMX 220 17* 5 Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids - 21* and 24*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

Why would a junior golfer be on here who is a 18 handicap? This site is for people who care about golf and want to improve. HOWEVER, that being said, I see SOME MAJOR BS on this board. I know of one junior on here whose handicap changes like every day in their sig...one day it's +3 the other it says 6. Then to top it off this person doesn't have a WITB photo edition but they say in their sig that they got all the hot stuff and that their clubs change weekly.

You answered your own question, that 18 handicapper likes the game and wants to improve.

I think that most people on here complaining about juniors with low handicaps shouldnt be spending there time posting on topics, but spending their time playing and practicing.

Stop complaining about those junior players who can beat you, because when you spend the majority of your time playing, you deserve it more than those who simply expect to play well just because they belong to the best club or have the best equipment.

I'm 14 and have a hdcp of 11.7 which isn't that great (playing better, just haven't posted many recently), but I know some kids who are below five. One of them says he used to be a one, but he's now a two. I've only seen him break 80 once. Many juniors also play from the front tees when they should be much farther back.