playing for money?

What are some good money games for 4 somes, and do you ever ask a stranger your playing with if they would play for money?

Just an interesting topic I was thinking about.

Titileist 913 d2 driver 10.5 regular
Titleist 913 15 3 wood rip phenom stiff
Taylormade rbz stage 2 tour 3, 4 hybrid
Titileist 714 ap2 irons 5-pw ctaper 120
Taylormade atv weges 52,56
mizuno beteinardi co3h

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played a few times with strangers for money. Usually it's like, $1 per hole and in order to win, you have to get no worse than a par. So if everyone gets bogey or worse, the skin goes to the next hole. It was pretty fun because we were all playing pretty bad.

With friends we'll bet $5 per nine or maybe bet premium balls like a ProV1 or something with the occasional, closest to the pin on Par 3s for something.

The greatest foursome money game is Bold Amigo. Here's how you play:

All four players hit their tee shots and on the front 9 the two balls on the right play the two balls on the left (for doglegs, we make the determination of right and left based on approach shots looking at the green). On the back 9, the two balls in the center play the two balls on the outside, which as you'll see can be dangerous.

All four players finish the hole and it's a points game. So if my partner and I both make a 4 on the par-4 first hole, our score is 44. If our opponents make a 5 and a 6, their score is 56, so we would be plus 12 points and they would be minus 12. You keep a running tab throughout the round for each player, as you'll likely have a different partner on most every hole.

Now, here's the kicker. A birdie flips the other team's score. So in the scenario mentioned previously, if I made a birdie 3 on the first hole and all else was the same, my partner and I would have 34 and the other team would see their score flipped from 56 to 65, so we would be plus 31 and the other guys would be minus 31.

We usually play for a quarter a point, and I've never seen anyone lose more than about $50, but I know some guys who play for a dollar a point, which can get expensive quickly. We also play double-bogey max to keep the damage on any one hole from getting out of hand. As you can imagine, if you start flipping birdies against big numbers, the losses can be significant.

Anyway, it's a great game because each guy has to grind throughout the whole round, as your score always counts. You get rewarded for playing great shots and making birdies and you can get punished if you make big numbers. And your partner changes throughout the round from hole to hole, which also adds a great dynamic. Obviously, having four guys who are fairly evenly matched is a pretty much a must. We usually have four low-handicappers playing and everyone plays off of scratch but I would guess if four guys have legit handicaps you could play net as well.

Give it a try sometime. It's a blast.

[quote name='ChrisSP' timestamp='1426286044' post='11138629']

All four players hit their tee shots and on the front 9 the two balls on the right play the two balls on the left (for doglegs, we make the determination of right and left based on approach shots looking at the green). On the back 9, the two balls in the center play the two balls on the outside, which as you'll see can be dangerous.

All four players finish the hole and it's a points game. So if my partner and I both make a 4 on the par-4 first hole, our score is 44. If our opponents make a 5 and a 6, their score is 56, so we would be plus 12 points and they would be minus 12. You keep a running tab throughout the round for each player, as you'll likely have a different partner on most every hole.

Now, here's the kicker. A birdie flips the other team's score. So in the scenario mentioned previously, if I made a birdie 3 on the first hole and all else was the same, my partner and I would have 34 and the other team would see their score flipped from 56 to 65, so we would be plus 31 and the other guys would be minus 31.

We usually play for a quarter a point, and I've never seen anyone lose more than about $50, but I know some guys who play for a dollar a point, which can get expensive quickly. We also play double-bogey max to keep the damage on any one hole from getting out of hand. As you can imagine, if you start flipping birdies against big numbers, the losses can be significant.

Anyway, it's a great game because each guy has to grind throughout the whole round, as your score always counts. You get rewarded for playing great shots and making birdies and you can get punished if you make big numbers. And your partner changes throughout the round from hole to hole, which also adds a great dynamic. Obviously, having four guys who are fairly evenly matched is a pretty much a must. We usually have four low-handicappers playing and everyone plays off of scratch but I would guess if four guys have legit handicaps you could play net as well.

[/quote]

Good game. It's pretty commonly known as Vegas, but I like the twist of every hole is new partners. We usually do it in a 6-6-6 format.

We will often play "sixes" as a foresome. Every six holes we switch teammates so the skill level balances out. If we have a threesome and are paired up with a fourth that's a stranger we usually don't bet with that stranger. If we do we play something simple like first three putt pays everyone a dollar. Same with first double bogey, and first ball in the water.

The best 4some game is a Scotch. There're many nuances and varieties. I play with two different groups that have their own versions. It sounds complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy. Here's is a link where different varieties and rules are explained:

http://chicagogolfguy.com/2012/08/03/the-scotch-game-golfs-most-popular-and-confusing-gambling-game/

Briefly, it's two, two man teams with handicaps. Points are awarded on each hole for: low ball, low team total, birdies, and "prox," closest to the pin in regulation. One of my groups plays a 5 point Scotch: 1 for low ball, 1 for low team total, 1 for prox and 2 for birdie. The other group plays a 7 point: 2 point for low ball, low total and birdies and 1 for prox. In both groups you have to qualify prox by holing out for par or better. One group plays with a "sneak:" if someone fails to qualify a prox, the other team wins a sneak if one of the balls gets up and down from off the green for par or better.

If one team wins 3 points on a hole, and the other wins 1, the winning team wins 2 points. If a team wins all the available points on a hole, they "blitz," and that holes points are doubled. If your playing a 5pt game and you win all 5 pts, the blitz makes it a 10 point win.

The team that's up in points always has the honor. After they hit their tee shots, the losing team can "roll" the hole. They do this if they think the wining team is in trouble. This doubles the point values for that hole only. This has to be declared before the losing team hits. An obvious "roll" would be if both guys on the winning team hit their tee shots O.B. If one guy hits it O.B. And the other guy kills it, you have a decision.

Any team that's losing can "press," this doubles the bet. Presses have to be done before a hole starts. Some play that presses are only good for the remainder of the 9, if you press on 7, it's off once you get to the 10th tee. Others, have the press last the rest of the round. Presses are like the doubling cube in Backgammon, they double the current point value. The first press multiplies the original point value by 2. If there's a press and a roll on the same hole, multiply by 4. If that hole is blitzed, double that, etc...
Presses and rolls have to be accepted.

Scotches are fun because there's tons of action on each hole, and usually huge swings in points for each team. One team might be up by 25 points, then be down be down by 25 two holes later. Because of the team total point, every shot counts. It's amazing how often two guys might tie low ball, while their partners battle it out with triples or quads to see who wins low total.

A .25 Scotch usually results in one team winning or losing $30. A dollar scotch can result in $100 to $200 swings. I find the higher the point value, the more aggressive people are rolling and pressing.

Another favorite gambling game is "3 and 2." Any time a player's ball is on the green, anyone else in the group can issue a "3/2" challenge. It's done when you think he'll three putt. If he does three putt, he loses $2 to the challenger. If he gets down in two, he wins $3. If he sinks the first putt, he wins $5. The 3/2/5 odds are the perfect risk/reward ratio. You have to accept the challenge. It's a great game if guys like action and "3/2" any time they think someone is in 3 putt range. It doesn't work if people are nitty and play scared. One of my regular Scotch partners "3/2's" me on on every green, usually while my ball is in the air. He thinks it makes me a better putter. We usually win our scotch, but he loses to me because of 3/2.

There's nothing better than playing with guys that like to gamble. In fact, I'd rather play with bad players that gamble than good players that are uptight. This is provided their handicaps are legit. A guy might sand bag me once, but if I play with him again, it's my fault.

Gambling with strangers is hard, that doesn't mean I don't do it. If I lose, I pay, if I win I don't want to have to ask. Buying me a beer doesn't settle a debt. If I win, I'm happy to buy the drinks.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1426287194' post='11138719']

[/quote]

Good game. It's pretty commonly known as Vegas, but I like the twist of every hole is new partners. We usually do it in a 6-6-6 format.
[/quote]

Yes, I should have mentioned that it's a variation of Vegas with the exception being that you tee off on every hole not knowing who your partner will be until all four tee shots are played. It adds sort of a "Wolf" dynamic to the game, and the back 9 can get especially volatile when the two balls in the middle play the two on the outside, which can easily involve some wildly astray shots.

[quote name='ChrisSP' timestamp='1426395110' post='11145671']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1426287194' post='11138719']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, I should have mentioned that it's a variation of Vegas with the exception being that you tee off on every hole not knowing who your partner will be until all four tee shots are played. It adds sort of a "Wolf" dynamic to the game, and the back 9 can get especially volatile when the two balls in the middle play the two on the outside, which can easily involve some wildly astray shots.
[/quote]

We've never done that. I can see where the pressure would intensify, especially if you're the last guy hitting and someone is OB (or similar trouble), makes getting inside at least one guy pretty imperative. We'll have to give it a try.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/139787-jimwgt26/:
"There's nothing better than playing with guys that like to gamble. In fact, I'd rather play with bad players that gamble than good players that are uptight. This is provided their handicaps are legit. A guy might sand bag me once, but if I play with him again, it's my fault. "

I agree I don't even enjoy playing a casual round anymore . I love tournament golf but if it's. Not a tournament I have to be playin for cash or I lose interest quick.

We play basically the same game....except we keep the same partner all day...we "flip" the scores when someone makes double or worse...makes grinding out those bogies even more important....

[/quote]

Another great game is "lone Palm"....basically just a straight match on steroids.....pick an amount to play for and hang on because it can get crazy....

The way we play is as soon as someone is 2 down an automatic new press starts and every time any bet gets 2 down another starts....the difference between this and a Nassau is that all bets continue till 18.....also if you lose 3 down 2 down and 1 down in a Nassau you only lose 3x whatever you bet....in lone Palm that would be 6 best lost....in other words you pay off each way times the amount down on each way....

Trust me....can get pretty crazy!

1, 3, 5, 7 (4some) or 1, 3, 5 (3some) or 1,3 (2some) pretty simple game. Let's assume a 4some best score on the hole gets 7 points and so on down. It all adds to 16. So if all four players tie everyone gets 4. If 2 tie it goes 6, 6, 3, 1. If 2 people tie for best and 2 tie for worst its 6,6,2,2. Everything always adds to 16 (4some) 9 (3some) and 4 (2 some). We play highest score on the front 9, back 9 and the 18 typically 5$ or 10$ per each side and the 18. Then we play trash so 1$ or 2$ birdies and greenies and 5$ eagles....

I play in another group sometimes that all they play is trash but have some crazy things. All trash is 1$ except Eagles which are higher and they play the below.

-birdies
-eagles
-greenies
-sandies
-poleys (make a putt longer than the stick)
-murph (call an up and down from off the green and can't use a putter for the first leg of the up and down)
-tigers (call a birdie from tee box on par 4 or eagle on par 5)
-gorillas (basically a greenie on a par 5 so closest to hole with GIR)

And for any that you call like tigers or murphs and you don't complete you get a demurph or detiger and lose 1$.

[quote name='coloradogolfer632' timestamp='1426278079' post='11137887']
What are some good money games for 4 somes, and do you ever ask a stranger your playing with if they would play for money?
Just an interesting topic I was thinking about.
[/quote]

I'm a fan of the simple Fourball match/$2 Nassau.

I very much dislike all the convoluted games - too confusing for my simple caveman mind and they distract from the game IMO.

I would not gamble with a stranger, except for very low stakes ($2 or a beer).

You can play golf without cash on the line? Never heard of it.

Bad form to ask a complete strange to play for money while on the course, btw.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[/quote]No wonder it takes 5 hours to golf a round these days.

Wolf is always a good option with a foursome. An interesting twist I've played a couple times is that a) you have to go "Lone Wolf" at least once (thereby doubling the bet for that single hole), and b) if someone else is hitting first and wants you for their partner after you boom a tee shot (or stick it on a par 3), you can decline and go LW for that hole.

To be honest, though, when I've played games involving a lot of accounting/junk, I've found it hard to enjoy the actual golf. If I'm going to play with a group and have, say, $50 at stake, why not just play a $50 best-ball match or a $20 Nassau? That's not to say I refuse to play more complicated games, I'm just not going to be the one keeping the scorecard/ledger book for it.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

[quote name='Tim Gavrich' timestamp='1426688792' post='11165975']
Wolf is always a good option with a foursome. An interesting twist I've played a couple times is that a) you have to go "Lone Wolf" at least once (thereby doubling the bet for that single hole), and b) if someone else is hitting first and wants you for their partner after you boom a tee shot (or stick it on a par 3), you can decline and go LW for that hole.

To be honest, though, when I've played games involving a lot of accounting/junk, I've found it hard to enjoy the actual golf. If I'm going to play with a group and have, say, $50 at stake, why not just play a $50 best-ball match or a $20 Nassau? That's not to say I refuse to play more complicated games, I'm just not going to be the one keeping the scorecard/ledger book for it.
[/quote]I agree, the bingo-bango and the rest of the crap like that make you play the hole differently than you would if you were actually playing normal golf. Fourball, press when you're mad is the way to go.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I have played a number of these games mentioned....wolf, amigo, nassau's, the "sixes" game where you swap partners every six holes and sometimes some of these (especially nassau) are side games to our regular game.

We play what we call a "Dollar" game, which is a form of a points game. If you make a birdie on a hole, you get a point. If you make an eagle you get two points. If you have the low score on a hole by yourself, you get a point. So if you are the only birdie on a hole you get 2 points. Each point is worth a dollar. If you get outside a foursome or two foursomes with this game it usually gets pretty expensive for one or two guys who are having an off day. We try to stick to a foursome for this game, and no more than eight players because of that. Pretty enjoyable game. Can be played pretty quick because if a guy hits one out of bounds or is well out of the hole for some reason he can pick up unless he has a side game. Great weekday after work game since it can go quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote]

It is called Vegas at our course too. I've seen guys lose 1800 playing this, What I don't like is that it isn't real golf at some point as a skilled player can fire away from a guy that is having a bad day. It also unfairly favours guys getting lots of strokes

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

We like Gammon. Typical 4 ball format as best ball wins the hole for the defined hole $ value. ties carry over to the next.

The twist is there is a Backgammon Doubling Cube available to press during the hole. Should your team perceive an advantage after a shot you "gammon" the other team. If you have played backgamon then you know the cube doubles. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64......so if you play for $2 per hole and the other team gammons you after they hit the green you can accept and it makes the hole now worth $4.......the doubling cube is now in possession of the team who accepted the press. You can then press the other team back at anytime. A second press would move it up to $8 in this example and the doubling cube moves to the the other teams possession . If the other team declines the press at anytime the hole is over.

Have to enjoy gambling to play Gammon and like added pressure on a shot.

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

5 man wolf is my favorite. it is always 3 guys vs 2. We don't allow LW on par 3's

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1427827677' post='11254455']
I love WOLF.

We do Wolf: 2x bet and Blind Wolf: 3x the bet.

Must win hole!
[/quote]

Yep Love Wolf too...we add in 2 twists......1. Rejection. meaning if you are picked as a partner you can reject you partner and go Lone Wolf. 2. require every player to go LW once during the round

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

Most of our betting is this: two or 3 foursomes playing

- bet 1 is 2 low net guys per hole teams vs each other $20/man
- half shot skins $20/man
- Stableford $20/man (top 3 get paid)

In foursomes we often play what we call a 666 Hollywoods. $10 auto press when two down. New partner every 6 holes. What makes ours fun is if the low two guys tie it goes to the 2nd guys net scores to settle the hole winner .. you see a lot of grinding over 6,7,8's. I've seen a net 9 win a hole !

EvnRoll ER9