Caddie question, Habour Town and Secession

Hey,

Just wondering, for those of you that have played these two courses do you prefer a fore caddie or a traditional looper. We prefer walking on appropriate tracks and are used to carrying.

Also, any idea of the different cost and appropriate tip amounts?

(not sure if just a forecaddie is an option at Secession)

915 D3 8.5
915F 15
915HD 17.5
J15CB 4-PW
X forged 49, 54, 59
California Del Mar

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played both and just used a yardage book for harbour town and didn't have any issues. Used full caddies at secession and am pretty sure that it is a requirement. Those are two of my favorite courses. Both are challenging in their own way but make sure you work on a controlled shot off the tee and bring your iron a-game.

Secession is walking / caddy only, so you don't have a choice (unless you have a PGA card).
I always take a cart at Harbour Town so not sure about a regular caddy. Usually they give your group of four 1 or 2 forecaddies. Nice to have around for reading putts and raking bunkers (as edresnick said).
Don't recall the prices. I don't play Secession very often because I don't like to walk. The walking caddies at Secession are a little more than the forecaddies at Harbour Town (I think they are 25-30.00 + any tip you give them). I have a buddy who works at the Private Club is Sea Pines so I play Harbour Town with him most of the time and he usually tells them to forget the caddies.

Have played Secession often, it is Caddies and walking only. But depending on how many golfers are there and the number of available caddies you might have caddies carrying two bags. The caddies are by and large very good and well trained. I think the going rate is $75/round + tip - I usually hand them $100... We have never had forecaddies, usually not extra caddies on the premise. (The course usually knows how many rounds are to be played during the day and plans caddies appropriately, there are no local members and everyone plans their visit thru the Pro)

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Sounds like the going rate for a traditional caddie is $100 with tip. Where would a forecaddie be, similar or a little less?

And if you played Harbour Town with a forecaddie, does the course set up better to walk and carry or does it set up better to cart. I know it is older school and tight.... I assume set up for walking but sometimes your surprised.

915 D3 8.5
915F 15
915HD 17.5
J15CB 4-PW
X forged 49, 54, 59
California Del Mar

[quote name='Townes' timestamp='1427772157' post='11250463']
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Sounds like the going rate for a traditional caddie is $100 with tip. Where would a forecaddie be, similar or a little less?

And if you played Harbour Town with a forecaddie, does the course set up better to walk and carry or does it set up better to cart. I know it is older school and tight.... I assume set up for walking but sometimes your surprised.
[/quote]

I always take a cart but that's because I like to have a place to put all of my stuff - including beer! To be honest, it's a great course to walk. Most holes don't have a ton of distance between the greens and the next tee, plus the course isn't that long. On top of that, it is always cart path only, so even if you take a cart you have to keep it on the cart path and walk out to your ball. Because of that, there are many times that I figure I may as well walk. But I like sitting in a cart too much, especially if it's slow and need a place to chill out with a beer while waiting to hit your next shot.
As far as caddies go, forecaddies are usually much cheaper than traditional caddies. I'm pretty sure the forecaddies at Harbour Town are only around 30.00 bucks, but it's been probably a year since I used one.

I think the forecaddie was $30 or 40 and I probably tipped him the same. The guys work their tails off but I just HATE cart path only. It is just odd for me to aim at the guy standing in the middle of the fairway!! Of course that is probably the safest place for him to stand ;-) Thats the only reason they insist on using a forecaddie. Otherwise the pace of play would be excruciating.

HT is a pretty quirky course. When the forecaddies says put it on the right side of the fairway, he means it. Center or left and you are completely blocked out by trees. If you are hitting the driver well, you will have an awesome experience. If you aren't, good luck. Let's just say I have experience playing it both ways.

If you're in any position to request a caddie down at Secession, ask about Ron M. I caddied with him when I caddied back in CT, where he loops in the summers. Good guy, excellent caddie.

Does Harbour Town allow walking?

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

[quote name='Tim Gavrich' timestamp='1427822259' post='11253673']
If you're in any position to request a caddie down at Secession, ask about Ron M. I caddied with him when I caddied back in CT, where he loops in the summers. Good guy, excellent caddie.

[/quote]

If you are asking about walking and carrying, good question. I just assumed you can (min forecaddie of course) but now I'm not sure. Obviously you can with a regular caddie but I'll clarify if you can carry. Nothing I hate more than cart path only, if I can't carry with forecaddie I guess I'll go full caddie.... big day paying for two but ........... it

915 D3 8.5
915F 15
915HD 17.5
J15CB 4-PW
X forged 49, 54, 59
California Del Mar

at harbour town we were told fore caddie tip was usually 25$ or higher if you felt he/she deserved it. I think our caddie in our foursome (me and a buddy and twosome we got paired with) probably gave him 80 overall because he was pretty rude and didn't do much. Kept offering swing advice to us as well (not saying we don't need it but def didn't ask for it). I have heard a lot of responses though that the caddies at HT are hit or miss and usually end up being not too great.

Forever Changing at this point.......

Clarification at Secession -- You can not carry your own bag, you must have a caddie or you can't play.

Secession is probably worth what you'll end up paying, hopefully your caddies know the place and some of it's history and quirks (ie. Tom Dempsy 63yd green on 11, cannon out front, members who died on 9/11, club to hit on #1, what your targets are, etc)

And have a drink after the round on the back porch, sitting in a rocking chair looking out over the 18th green and the Low Country....

[quote name='Townes' timestamp='1427862072' post='11258835']

[/quote]

If you are asking about walking and carrying, good question. I just assumed you can (min forecaddie of course) but now I'm not sure. Obviously you can with a regular caddie but I'll clarify if you can carry. Nothing I hate more than cart path only, if I can't carry with forecaddie I guess I'll go full caddie.... big day paying for two but ........... it
[/quote]

Secession is pretty unique. You have to walk with a caddie. Want to take your 7 year old kid out for a round? You can do that, but he has to have his own caddie!! To old to walk anymore? That's ok, you can gift your membership to your son. No carts…ever. I kind of like it. Haven't played it yet but hope to in the next year or so.

[quote name='allparz' timestamp='1427906899' post='11261755']
Clarification at Secession -- You can not carry your own bag, you must have a caddie or you can't play.

Secession is probably worth what you'll end up paying, hopefully your caddies know the place and some of it's history and quirks (ie. Tom Dempsy 63yd green on 11, cannon out front, members who died on 9/11, club to hit on #1, what your targets are, etc)

And have a drink after the round on the back porch, sitting in a rocking chair looking out over the 18th green and the Low Country....

[quote name='Townes' timestamp='1427862072' post='11258835']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

It is Lowcountry (one word not two). I live two miles from the course and is in great shape. As far as caddies the best, IMHO, are Keith P., Russ F or Tim.

Secession tomorrow with full caddies and pretty enthusiastic about it. There was never a question about full / fore for Secession, but I'm still debating for Harbour Town.... but that's Saturday, long way off.....

Only one day in but so far, love the Lowcountry....

915 D3 8.5
915F 15
915HD 17.5
J15CB 4-PW
X forged 49, 54, 59
California Del Mar

Played Harbour Town a few years ago. As noted, had to use a cart (restricted to cart path) and a Forecaddie. The forecaddie was essentually worthless. On an early hole (4 or 5?) I asked him the distance to drive through the fairway (trying to decide if driver was the play). His response was "you can't reach the trees" on the far side (no yardage given). I was not too please when by ball ended up directly behind a tree (drove through fairway) into a basically unplayable lie. On the back nine I asked a similar question ("how far to the corner of the dogleg?") on a hole where I was considering flying the drive over the corner. His response here -- again, no yardage given -- was that I wouldn't be able to clear the corner. This was a surprise, as I have about a 60 yard pitch remaining after clearing the trees on the inside corner.

We would have been better off without him, but unfortunately HT has their use as a requirement to play.....which is why I won't be back. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Enjoy the trip (and tell us how good Seccession Club is).

B

Thanks B,

As for Secession, it was outstanding. The course was very good, but the experience was even better. What an amazing piece of property and an outstanding deal they have created. Everyone I came in contact with was great, clubhouse pro shop and bar staff were over the top and the caddies were even better.

The other nice touch was the membership, they are proud of their club and extremely welcoming. If I didn't have to drive back to the island I'm pretty sure I'd still be there enjoying beverages and fine companionship on the porch.

915 D3 8.5
915F 15
915HD 17.5
J15CB 4-PW
X forged 49, 54, 59
California Del Mar