uPRO....Anyone seen this latest entry in the GPS wars?

mrb

Gsco - That sounds like the floating yardage issue you get with the SC as well. I just played 9 and can say that didn't happen to me today but I'm sure it will at some point. I can't believe they turn off the gps when the screen goes dark. I thought it was just a screen saver but it really is a sleep mode I guess. Anyway, overall I like my unit, you?

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I love it! I have turned it to low batt usage so the 45 seconds is fine. I'll just have to remember to hit the button as I approach the ball, if I forget, I can live until it adjusts to its location. Since it uses a more complex file I guess it needs to go to sleep to preserve batt life.

I have a Neo and went to dl a course I'm playing Sat. in a tourney since it is not available yet from uplay. I had around 20 or so credits. When I logged in it said my membership had expired. I really didn't care because I still had my credits. Go to find out you Lose your credits if you don't use them. It's not so much the 35 bucks, but the fact I thought when I bought the membership those credits were mine to keep. I can understand the SG membership expiring, but not when you still have credits that you purchased.

I wanted to thank everybody on this forum for giving good honest information without a bunch of arguing and debate over what is the best GPS device. Most forums you have to weed out 75% of what you read because people are pushing their own agenda instead of just swapping good information. I just ordered the Upro after a lot research and discussion. I really think the main issue now is course availability. To me the deciding factor was the ability to use the cursor to get a distance anywhere on the hole and having an actual picture of the hole to reference, when you haven't played a course before. I should get it next week and I will let everyone know how things turn out.

I agree totally with tlhbirdie. You guys did a great job on letting us know whats great and whats not about upro. I ordered one tonight from Edwin Watts as well. I also called them last night and asked about many of the issues that all of you have spoken about. I also believe they are trying their absolute best. Anyway, Ill have it on tuesday, more after that. Thanks again. Neil

I used the uPro today while watching and following an AJGA event today. THe measure tool was fantastic and a great way for measuring drive distances, as well as seeing what approach distance the player was hitting. Having the aerial view allows you to get pretty precise on where they are hitting from, as well as seeing exactly which tee box they hit from when using the measuring function.

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

Is the Upro available in the stores near you? None of the stores in Atlanta, that I know of have them yet. The reason I am asking is because as more of these become available in your area the more likely your courses will be either someones home course or that course will be requested. All my courses that I have been tracking now have dates in 2009. I was wondering if it is because no one has the unit around here yet and therefore not requesting courses which puts us at less a priority. Can someone explain how they are dealing w/ requested courses? Can you request as many courses as you want or are you limited to a number? It seems this will become worthless if the number is endless because everyone will just request every course in their area.

My home course was supposed to be mapped by yesterday. Sure enough it wasnt this morning. I called UPRO at 8:30 EST and they said they already had a couple of phone calls with the same complaint mostly from the NC area, I'm in NJ. Gave me some excuse about old photography and some other stuff. Now my mapping date is 6/23. A this rate by the time the MAC patch is available and my home course is mapped I should be able to use the UPRO by x-mas. At least I'm getting a free battery due to my home course not being mapped in 4 days.

tlhbirdie - Registered users home courses have first priority, then registered users requested courses (no limit) come next. Then they are to start work on the rest of them. They currently have a team of about 24 people mapping courses but only a few get released each day due to the quality control and testing that happens before they put them on the site. This is according to tech support.

Guys, thanks for all the great info, I really wanted to get this, but in the end there wasn't enough courses ready for me, and there still seemed to be to many issues. I ended up with the SG5 today, so we'll see how that goes, but when I got home, was able to load up the 2 courses I am playing this weekend, so was happy with a lot of choices.

Maybe next year I'll take another look at this, as it does have some cool ideas that I wanted, and hopefully by then some of the issues will be worked out.

Good luck with the unit and may the courses get done quickly!

I thought that as soon as the units hit the local stores the courses in my area would start getting moved forward and they are. Last week when tracking dates of local courses, all the courses I was tracking had 2009 dates now 9 of 14 have dates in the next couple months. I really hope these new dates hold up. The good news also is my home course is not one of them so I should get it as well which now makes the number 10.

Hey all,

just wondering what your experiance has been with USING the unit? I see a lot of issues with courses being mapped (which may be preventing many of you from using the unit), but I was hoping to get more reviews about the usability of the device.

I really hope they add some more features such as scoring and tracking... I'm close to buying this, but I'm still holding out to see if Intelligolf gets something working for the Iphone.

Had for 10 days and finally got to use on course. I thought the yardages were very accurate. Every time I checked with sprinklers heads it was with in 1 or 2 yards.It is a little hard to see in pro mode with direct light but the cart or a hat gave enough shade to see just fine for me.The Video fly over is great especially for new course.The green dosn't rotate in pro mode but the measure feature makes up for that by getting any distance you need by moving the curser around on the green. This is my first gps and like it alot. The pro mode photos and measure mode /any point was why I made this choice. I was looking at range finder until I found this. Glad I did .

I've had my unit for 10 days and have played 2 rounds with it.

I agree with the comments made regarding the unit.

- Distances are accurate to within a couple of yards of sprinkler heads.

- Screen shots a bit difficult to see in direct sunlight, but ok if you shadow the screen.

- GPS locking very good. My only comment is that it takes a few minutes for the unit to acquire the initial signal on powerup. I also had a problem where I went into the clubhouse after 9 holes, and the unit lost the signal. For some reason, it took a long time to re-acquire the signal. Tried to reset the gps, etc... but nothing worked. The unit acquired the signal by itself after a few minutes.

- I'm having trouble with the shot measuring feature (Mark). Over 50% of the time, I get bogus readings ( 1 yard, 3 yards, 40 yards, 130 yards) for my drive. At first, I thought the buttons were getting pressed when the unit was in my pocket. The problem kept occuring even when I kept the unit in my hand. I haven't seen this problem reported yet. I'm planning to provide feedback to Upro.

- All other features work as advertised. My home course was mapped in 4 days. I checked the playlist prior to selecting my home course and chose a course that was not mapped yet. I'm sure that more courses will be mapped once the units hit the stores.

- On both rounds I played, there was still 50% battery life left after my round. I used the unit in "normal" mode.

My home course was supposed to be mapped by yesterday. Sure enough it wasnt this morning. I called UPRO at 8:30 EST and they said they already had a couple of phone calls with the same complaint mostly from the NC area, I'm in NJ. Gave me some excuse about old photography and some other stuff. Now my mapping date is 6/23. A this rate by the time the MAC patch is available and my home course is mapped I should be able to use the UPRO by x-mas. At least I'm getting a free battery due to my home course not being mapped in 4 days.

Any word on the MAC patch, yet?

nope. spoke with upro on friday. my home course wasnt mapped on friday morning after the 4 day window so they were going to send me a battery. got a call a few hours later saying it was now mapped. their update was to the course listing was delayed so they said no battery for me. as for the patch they said its ready but they are still trying to figure out how to distribute it. i actually got the feeling that they were in no rush cause most people use pc's or have access to a pc.

Hi guys, I have a question about use in Preview mode. I got mine today, and so far so good, got one course downloaded. Anyway, in preview mode is it possible to move the red standpoint cursor. I could only cycle through the preprogrammed standpoints for it. I also would have preferred that it measure from a different tee box. I realize that its only preview mode, but if youre going to plan how you would play, then its foolish to do so from a tee box you dont play from. Hope all is functioning for the rest of you, thanks, Neil

Hi guys, I have a question about use in Preview mode. I got mine today, and so far so good, got one course downloaded. Anyway, in preview mode is it possible to move the red standpoint cursor. I could only cycle through the preprogrammed standpoints for it. I also would have preferred that it measure from a different tee box. I realize that its only preview mode, but if youre going to plan how you would play, then its foolish to do so from a tee box you dont play from. Hope all is functioning for the rest of you, thanks, Neil

Clicking the forward button (the outer circle, towards the viewfinder) will move your viewpoint to anywhere on the hole.

In preview mode, you can use the measure feature to figure out how much to subtract from the tips. Only way I have figured it out also.

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

Played again today. I am more familiar with it and have learned to use it rather quickly and efficiently. No problem using pro mode and getting layup distances. Also, the sleep mode no longer bothers me using the 45 second mode. Still a little difficult seeing the pro mode, but I didn't have a problem in the bright sun today. Love it.

Hi guys again

In experimenting around I found something I had noticed before. If you push mark in preview mode lets say in measuring from the back tees where the red cross hairs are, (those that cant be moved), then go to the tee area you would like to play and press select, i believe twice, it places a red dot there, and a zero, and measures automatically from there. No more adding or subtracting, Im really getting into this. Neil

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on this matter. I have had a SC for 3 years now (SC6 now) and got the upro a couple of weeks ago to see if it was any better. After using it for about 4 rounds now I would have to say it is a very good unit. Again like everyone has commented yardages it is very accurate within 1 yard. I actually know the sales rep for upro pretty well and he explained the gps accuracy to me which you might know already. Accuracy within 1 yard is the closest any company will ever get (unless you are the government) I would suggest like a couple of you did putting it on the 45 second mode or else it is going to drive you nuts. Overall great products with more functions than my SC.

Neilvaron-If yours is freezing up, check the software version. They replaced my unit a few days ago for another reason and this one has a newer version 1.20.20.20.10. It has not frozen up at all and it wasn't that hard to reproduce on the first unit. My first unit was version 1.11.10.12.10. Hopefully they will put the newer software on the site so everyone can update their flash. BTW-the software is on the unit itself and not on the memory card. I don't know if this release has the Mac patch since I don't have a Mac to try it on.