New Bushnell Tour X Rangefinder

Very interesting.

Bushnell has redesigned their golf website in the last few weeks and the Tour X is now clearly marked as being not waterproof.

Three weeks ago when they first put the Tour X up - it was clearly marked as being waterproof.

There is just absolutely no way I would every buy a rangefinder that wasnt waterproof. No way.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure a few raindrops are not going to hurt it. Unless your standing in the water hitting your ball out of the mud and have to laser your target while in the water directly behind your ball and drop the rangefinder in the pond, it will be fine. I can play golf anytime I want, if it rains, I don't play.

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile

I'm thinking the same, I need something at least rainproof. I visit and play a lot in Scotland, it rains there more than it shines. New Nikon Coolshot 40i is rainproof, new Nikon Prostaff 7i is waterproof, they are also on my test list.
I'm waiting for a delivery of the Tour X at a store in Bratislava and then I'll test them all back to back.
That's a shame that their flagship model isn't rain or waterproof.

[quote name='Captain Morgan ' timestamp='1428101775' post='11278847']
I'm sure a few raindrops are not going to hurt it. Unless your standing in the water hitting your ball out of the mud and have to laser your target while in the water directly behind your ball and drop the rangefinder in the pond, it will be fine. I can play golf anytime I want, if it rains, I don't play.
[/quote]

So if you travel or go on a golf trip and it rains...?

Its just absurd that a top of the line rangefinder isn't waterproof. The X7 is completely waterproof - seems like one step forward and three steps back.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

I recently ordered the Tour X, but was just notified that it's on backorder at Bushnell due to a technical production issue, and won't be in stock till late April - Mid May. Since it will replace my Bushnell 1600 slope edition which I still have, I don't really mind the long wait. But now the non-waterproof issue is concerning me. I live in the rainy Northwest, so if I don't play golf at all on rainy days, I might as well just pack it in and find another hobby. I don't need this thing to be professional grade water sealed and being able to tolerate a drop into a pond, but it needs to be able to withstand at least some rain. I have my concerns about Bushnell's overall quality control and customer service vs. Leupold. For example, my Bushnell 1600 already shows some fading in the display of numbers with a vertical line (eg. 1 or 7), but since it's 4 years old, I doubt Bushnell would do anything about it. I've read about the excellent service of Leupold, and was leaning toward getting the GX-4i2. But after reading from all the posts above on how the Tour X is so much faster than the GX-4i2, I decided to bite the bullet and give Bushnell another chance. But if Tour X is indeed not waterproof, it's a deal breaker, I will give the GX-4i2 a try, which is built like a tank.

For those of you who've tried both, is the Tour X really that much better in performance? How is its built quality compared to the GX-4i2? And for all Tour X owners, can you verify whether this thing is waterproof? Is it built more than the tour v3 (cheap plastic) or the Z6 in terms of quality?

Thanks all!

[quote name='Cuki' timestamp='1428171010' post='11283107']
Do you think the production issue has something to do with them finding out it is now not rain or waterproof as first mentioned on their website?
[/quote]

Very good question.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

[quote name='happybob' timestamp='1428160769' post='11282307']I recently ordered the Tour X, but was just notified that it's on backorder at Bushnell due to a technical production issue, and won't be in stock till late April - Mid May. Since it will replace my Bushnell 1600 slope edition which I still have, I don't really mind the long wait. But now the non-waterproof issue is concerning me. I live in the rainy Northwest, so if I don't play golf at all on rainy days, I might as well just pack it in and find another hobby. I don't need this thing to be professional grade water sealed and being able to tolerate a drop into a pond, but it needs to be able to withstand at least some rain. I have my concerns about Bushnell's overall quality control and customer service vs. Leupold. For example, my Bushnell 1600 already shows some fading in the display of numbers with a vertical line (eg. 1 or 7), but since it's 4 years old, I doubt Bushnell would do anything about it. I've read about the excellent service of Leupold, and was leaning toward getting the GX-4i2. But after reading from all the posts above on how the Tour X is so much faster than the GX-4i2, I decided to bite the bullet and give Bushnell another chance. But if Tour X is indeed not waterproof, it's a deal breaker, I will give the GX-4i2 a try, which is built like a tank.

For those of you who've tried both, is the Tour X really that much better in performance? How is its built quality compared to the GX-4i2? And for all Tour X owners, can you verify whether this thing is waterproof? Is it built more than the tour v3 (cheap plastic) or the Z6 in terms of quality?

Thanks all![/quote]

I'll sell you my GX-4i2. I bought it back in September. Didn't use it that much cause winter came fast.

[quote name='Captain Morgan ' timestamp='1428184475' post='11284205']
[quote name='happybob' timestamp='1428160769' post='11282307']I recently ordered the Tour X, but was just notified that it's on backorder at Bushnell due to a technical production issue, and won't be in stock till late April - Mid May. Since it will replace my Bushnell 1600 slope edition which I still have, I don't really mind the long wait. But now the non-waterproof issue is concerning me. I live in the rainy Northwest, so if I don't play golf at all on rainy days, I might as well just pack it in and find another hobby. I don't need this thing to be professional grade water sealed and being able to tolerate a drop into a pond, but it needs to be able to withstand at least some rain. I have my concerns about Bushnell's overall quality control and customer service vs. Leupold. For example, my Bushnell 1600 already shows some fading in the display of numbers with a vertical line (eg. 1 or 7), but since it's 4 years old, I doubt Bushnell would do anything about it. I've read about the excellent service of Leupold, and was leaning toward getting the GX-4i2. But after reading from all the posts above on how the Tour X is so much faster than the GX-4i2, I decided to bite the bullet and give Bushnell another chance. But if Tour X is indeed not waterproof, it's a deal breaker, I will give the GX-4i2 a try, which is built like a tank.

Thanks all![/quote]

I'll sell you my GX-4i2. I bought it back in September. Didn't use it that much cause winter came fast.
[/quote]

So the Tour X is that much better the GX-4i2? Even when it's not waterproof?

[quote name='happybob' timestamp='1428249747' post='11288001'][quote name='Captain Morgan ' timestamp='1428184475' post='11284205']

Thanks all![/quote]

[/quote]

So the Tour X is that much better the GX-4i2? Even when it's not waterproof?[/quote]

It is for me. The waterproof thing doesn't bother me. I don't need two rangefinders.

Nothing on the site or manual indicates the Tour X is water or rain proof. My guess is the different face plates depress a switch that turns slope reading on and off which isn't waterproof. If water gets behind the face plate, it could seep through the switch housing and inside the unit.

Another case where a company rushes to market a product that isn't ready just so it can compete. Does Bushnell expect their customers to shell out another $500 when the waterproof version gets released in six months? I'll be cancelling my order for the Tour X unless I see something from Bushnell that confirms it's waterproof, I don't need a $500 paperweight.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

If you go to the "Specs' tab on http://www.bushnellg...ers/Tour-X.aspx you will see that it is listed as not waterproof. This has changed the last week or so, because I've seen a website in Europe listing it as waterproof, this info would have come from a sales or product sheet from Bushnell.

Now I went to check out the Tour X yesterday and while it is indeed very fast with great optics, I could see where the issue could be. new2g0lf is indeed correct, it is simply a plastic attached faceplate, even worse, the connection is at the top of the faceplate and rangefinder body.

Attached photo, righthand faceplate (lighter faceplate) in the photo, you can clearly see this small connector. I swapped faceplates around, and while they are snug and tight fitting, I'm not in a position to say if it is rain or waterproof.

I ended up buying the new Nikon Coolshot 40i which I think has better optics, is just as fast, and is smaller, lighter and a better fit in the hand. Even better, it was 150 euros cheaper. It doesn't have exchange technology but I don't play tournaments so that wasn't an issue for me.

TourX_zpssv9hpmnd.jpg

The Tour X, was listed as being waterproof on their "old website" - not even a month ago - when the information first went up after the PGA Show. A couple of online vendors also still list it as being waterproof, maybe they haven't gotten the updated information.

Not sure how the faceplate feature itself would cause this as the Leupold 4i2 is waterproof.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

[quote name='avgjoe' timestamp='1428111720' post='11279747']
[quote name='sheldonjhacker' timestamp='1428110536' post='11279667']Do you need prisms on the flagsticks to get these to work well?[/quote]

it's 2015... very few- if any- require prisms these days. certainly not a $500 top of the line model
[/quote]

really? and thanks

[quote name='sheldonjhacker' timestamp='1428522469' post='11313485']
[quote name='sheldonjhacker' timestamp='1428110536' post='11279667']Do you need prisms on the flagsticks to get these to work well?[/quote]

it's 2015... very few- if any- require prisms these days. certainly not a $500 top of the line model
[/quote]

really? and thanks
[/quote]

yes, really

[quote name='avgjoe' timestamp='1428532860' post='11314583']

[/quote]

really? and thanks
[/quote]

yes, really
[/quote]
really? thanks

[quote name='sheldonjhacker' timestamp='1428535793' post='11314945'][quote name='avgjoe' timestamp='1428532860' post='11314583']

[/quote]

really? and thanks
[/quote]

yes, really
[/quote]
really? thanks[/quote]

believe it or not, yes

TGW will honor the $399.96 price if you email or call them. Top notch operation over there.

Also, I spoke with a bushnell rep. yesterday and he stated that the issue is the interchangeable faceplate as stated earlier but can with stand :20 of misting in an isolated box (during testing).

Take it for what it's worth. I still ending up keeping mine. Works great for me.

I saw the Tour X at the store this week and was surprised at the back-to-plastic after Bushnell going more solid from the V3 to the Z6 Jolt that I bought last year. The "waterproof" vs water resistant was my deciding factor for the Z6 Jolt model, as well as the rugged case. It is still showing as "waterproof" on the website.

I dropped it once on a cartpath, just a minor scape in a corner that I touched up with white car touchup paint. Otherwise aok.

So if you want to save some bucks and want a sturdier case and waterproof in a Bushnell product, that might be the bet.

[quote name='Shradersr' timestamp='1428809029' post='11337845']
TGW will honor the $399.96 price if you email or call them. Top notch operation over there.

Also, I spoke with a bushnell rep. yesterday and he stated that the issue is the interchangeable faceplate as stated earlier but can with stand :20 of misting in an isolated box (during testing).

Take it for what it's worth. I still ending up keeping mine. Works great for me.
[/quote]

I just got the same price from TGW on the Tour X - $399.96 w/free shipping. Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='baummk' timestamp='1429025250' post='11356049']

[/quote]

I just got the same price from TGW on the Tour X - $399.96 w/free shipping. Thanks for the heads up!
[/quote]

What do you have to tell them on the phone or via email for the lower price?

Ping G430 LST 10.5
Ping G430 MAX 5W (lofted down to 4W)

Ping G430 MAX 7W 
Ping i230 4-U
Ping S159 Chrome - 56 S  

Ping S159 Chrome - 60 T  
SC Futura 5W

Saw it on their website and on here that they were selling at the lower price but wasnt able to order it at the time and ask them to honor the price. There was zero push back and after ok'ing it with the supervisor they charged me $399.96 no tax no shipping. I ordered it on Saturday and received it on wednesday. If you have an issues feel free to PM me as I still have my email communication.

If you need waterproof get the Z6. If you need waterproof and slope get the V3 Slope Edition. I have the Z6 and have used it in steady drizzles with no problems. Its durable too. The first month in use it bounced out of the carts cupholder and down the cart path. Other than a minor scratch in the paint it still works perfect.

[quote name='msh645' timestamp='1429207004' post='11374513']
[quote name='baummk' timestamp='1429025250' post='11356049']

[/quote]

[/quote]

What do you have to tell them on the phone or via email for the lower price?
[/quote]

I did the same. Emailed TGW customer service saying that they offered the Tour X for $399.96 previously and would they be able to honor that price today. Got an email back from a sales rep saying that they would, called him directly and placed the order. Received mine last Friday, can't wait to play this week!