Chrome Soft

scottaz

[quote name='gprointraining' timestamp='1428472570' post='11309363']
[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1428429894' post='11304355']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1428422646' post='11303189'][quote name='Judge440' timestamp='1428381085' post='11300639']
Heard Dennis Paulson on PGA Tour Radio state he played with Phil and he is using a different version of the CS. This was within the last few weeks to a month.
[/quote]
His is about 10 compression points higher than the retail version.[/quote]

I keep seeing this but there are only 2 versions of the Chrome Soft on the USGA conforming list. He is either playing the retail 3-piece or the tour only 4-piece which may be what the higher compression comment may be referring to, but there is not an approved higher compression 3-piece as the comment would imply.
[/quote]
Now up to 4 versions of the Chrome Soft. Here is the crazy thing... 15! 15! versions of the SR3.
[/quote]

Looks like there was a new addition for April. There are now two 4-piece versions (dot on either side of the stamp) along with the retail 3-piece (dot between Chrome and Soft). The 4th listing is just the retail version in yellow.

[attachment=2700579:Capture.JPG]

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tjumper78' timestamp='1428498335' post='11310239']
this ball goes BOOM! off the putter.
[/quote]I liked the feel off my Karsten TR B60. Maybe because it's not a soft insert with such a soft ball. I hit the Chrome Soft great yesterday and it was low 40's, windy, and rainy. It went nicely into the wind and no loss of distance off the driver. My swing speed of 100-105 might be perfect for this ball.

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

I was an early adopter of this ball and raved about it having played a sleeve last fall. Got 3 dozen and have played them ever since the snow melted. Performance is great but they just don't feel right off the woods for me. Feels like I just missed it, even on good strikes.

Put the 2012 XV back into play and feels like home again. I did play a sleeve of 2015 V1x and really liked them so as my XV supply is dwindling I did a double order of the new V1x buy 3 get one free personalized. Should be set for the season now.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

I have putted as well as hit chips and pitches with this ball. I am in love.

The pitches were short but high speed hits on my part. No sign of the usual Callaway wear issues - splits on the raised HEX edges - for this ball, and this ball comes off hot at a nice mid-flight, not like a floating marshmallow as the Supersoft and other balls tend to you (looking at you, Z-Star SL). I'm excited to use this for the season. My swing speed is slow, so as long as distance is essentially equal (as it usually is with me) and it checks enough around the greens, this will be my ball for a while.

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

I 'm a very modest swingspeed for here, very low 80's, senior. Bought 2 doz CS on spec....just took one doz back and replaced them with NXT Tour after trying them for part of three rounds. I have a good stock of NXT Tours and PV1's already and I know and like how they perform for me.

The feel on full shots was ok but no real gains noted. In fact the first round I alternated with the NXT Tour and the CS seemed shorter off irons and hybrids especially for me...not so much the next two rounds, so that might have just been me.

But mostly I had no confidence with the putter distance or giving it a confident stroke at all, probably as just no feedback or sound. Especially on short putts. Putter speed judgement using a Versa didn't help. My 2ball White Steel is on vacation being customized with a firmer face throughout so my opinion might be different if I had been using it.

Chips felt good and spin was good but they came off a bit hot at times so speed might take getting used to.

This year I'll stick with balls I know and have in stock now, and with comfort what the ball will do on and around the green.

I play Hex Chrome. Found a Chrome Soft today and used it for the last 6 holes. Feel is very similar to the hex chrome. My first two drives with this ball were my longest and straightest for the day. Short irons it comes off hot and about 1/2 to 1 club longer. Longer irons seemed about normal distance for me. Putting was nice and i thought very similar to hex chrome, using an insert versa. Pity its $45 / doz when you can get Hex chromes for $25. Did have a lot less side spin off driver in my opinion. Very nice ball and will consider when my hex chromes run out.

Has anyone had one of these balls crack on them? I've been trying these early this season and I really like them - they play as well as the Pro V1s I typically play (maybe even better in the wind). However, I had one crack on me yesterday. I played the ball for about 2 rounds; so, not new, but not too heavily used either. It certainly isn't my swing speed (107). One of the rounds that I played with this ball was a little cold (mid 40s), but that shouldn't be enough to cause a crack should it? Again, I really like the performance of these balls and would like to continue to use them, but I don't want to deal with cracked golf balls either.

Love this golf ball around the greens for pitches and chips, as well as, putts but I feel like it's missing something on full swings. Overall, pretty good.

WITB Currently
Titleist TSR2 10*

Callaway Paradym 16.5*

Titleist TSi1 20*

Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Irons - Srixon ZX7 5-PW

Cleveland RTX6 56*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II Centershaft/Ping Tyne C

Mizuno K1-L0

shot 71 (1 under) yesterday.

lots of up and downs. Made crucial par saving chips/putts.

This ball is solid performer and I don't look back my old gamer Prov1X.

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

I played two full rounds with the Chrome Soft and my observations was that the ball wasn't nearly as long off the tee for me as a Pro V1 nor was it as long off the iron as a Pro V1. Spin-wise and feel-wise it was fine. I even verified this shortness yesterday. No one behind us at my home course. I hit a Chrome Soft then a Pro V1 off the tee. Then another Chrome Soft and another Pro V1. Finally, one more shot of each ball. All 6 shots were solid. Got down to where the balls were and all the Chrome Softs were just past the 150 stake at about 145 yards out. All the Pro V1s were about 130 out.

Thinking the above was a fluke, at 14 I hit two more tee shots of each ball and hit those solid. Both Chrome Softs were 12-14 yards shorter for me. On the last par 3, from 155, I hit two of each with an 8 iron. All four were good strikes. Each Pro V1 was middle of the green and each Chrome Soft came up just short or about 3/4s to a full club less.

This is my experience with them. Your mileage may vary.

[quote name='PrairiePlayer' timestamp='1428820666' post='11338327']Has anyone had one of these balls crack on them? I've been trying these early this season and I really like them - they play as well as the Pro V1s I typically play (maybe even better in the wind). However, I had one crack on me yesterday. I played the ball for about 2 rounds; so, not new, but not too heavily used either. It certainly isn't my swing speed (107). One of the rounds that I played with this ball was a little cold (mid 40s), but that shouldn't be enough to cause a crack should it? Again, I really like the performance of these balls and would like to continue to use them, but I don't want to deal with cracked golf balls either.[/quote]

I cracked a supersoft last fall. Just got around to sending it to Callaway quality control in Carlsbad. We'll see what they say about it.

[quote name='rb828' timestamp='1429319720' post='11384547']
I have been looking for these balls on used ball sites but I'm not having any luck. Is the ball too new? I have seen some on eBay but they are all auctions.
[/quote]
Most likely. Last year, I had trouble finding the Supersoft used until a few months after its release.

[quote name='rb828' timestamp='1429319720' post='11384547']
I have been looking for these balls on used ball sites but I'm not having any luck. Is the ball too new? I have seen some on eBay but they are all auctions.
[/quote]
Most likely. Last year, I had trouble finding the Supersoft used until a few months after its release.

On-course mini review time!

Yes, I got to get in 16 holes at a 9 hole local before dark. Finally! These Upstate (waaaay upstate) NY winters are awful.

Anyway, about me: 5'5" with not much distance or swingspeed, mostly because of physical limitations. My 7 iron goes 140, to around 220 carry with a 46" driver on a center hit. I try exclusively to play a draw. When I play the appropriate tees, I am probably around a 10 handicap over 18 when in mid-season form; of course, those tees are not very long. Today, I was essentially a bogey golfer which is fine for my first round of the year. I had no sense of my distances, and the greens were way too slow and bouncy to putt on. I used the clubs in my signature - all with midsize grips to dampen impact and stock length graphite senior flex shafts.

I bought the Chrome Soft to be my equivalent to a Project (a) type of golf ball with a very soft feel. The Chrome Soft easily meets that goal. I am a mid-low flight hitter unless using a 2-piece LC, and the Chrome Soft kept this same flight very well. A touch higher than I'm used to but piercing, which is great - combined with the new clubs, that was my goal anyway. The ball does curve; this is not like a Supersoft where I found myself hitting only shorter, float-y pushes and pulls. On the same token, though, it spins very well into greens for me, even on mid to short pitches (something I'm not good at). Chips came off low and checked consistently, as I will chalk up the lack of rollout totally to the slow, wet greens. I accept the curve trade-off because that greenside spin is a touch better with my slow SS than the RBZ Urethane balls I have. For overall comparison's sake, I'd throw the RBZU in with the Pro V1, and the Chrome Soft in the B330-RXS, for my slower SS. I hit all golf balls pretty much the same (short) distance, and these were no worse than any other - slightly farther off the longer clubs but, like I said, I have a whole new set makeup.

I adore the soft feel. My left wrist is kind of wonky and can lock up or get pain at times so the grips, clubs, and ball are a combined effort to safeguard for that. So far, so good! The most impressive thing about the Chrome Soft that I need to mention before I forget, though, is the durability. I do not scuff balls that often, but I have never had a Callaway ball make it past two holes without being taken out. That's the honest truth (for me)! Last year's Supersoft was better than that, finally; this year's Chrome Soft is [b][i]miles[/i][/b] beyond. I made it 14 holes with only two tiny scuffs on different parts of the golf ball, and these were barely noticeable (only 14 holes because I hit it in a creek - D'OH). I was going back and forth on selling the six dozen I have, but instead I am sold on Callaway and on keeping the balls. At this rate, six dozen will last me three years or more.

Ultimately, these won't fit everybody, but for any higher handicapper or slower swinger such as myself, try a sleeve of these. I can't say if they will work for you for sure, but as long as you prefer a softer feeling ball, these have a shot at making you a really happy golfer.

On-course mini review time!

Yes, I got to get in 16 holes at a 9 hole local before dark. Finally! These Upstate (waaaay upstate) NY winters are awful.

Anyway, about me: 5'5" with not much distance or swingspeed, mostly because of physical limitations. My 7 iron goes 140, to around 220 carry with a 46" driver on a center hit. I try exclusively to play a draw. When I play the appropriate tees, I am probably around a 10 handicap over 18 when in mid-season form; of course, those tees are not very long. Today, I was essentially a bogey golfer which is fine for my first round of the year. I had no sense of my distances, and the greens were way too slow and bouncy to putt on. I used the clubs in my signature - all with midsize grips to dampen impact and stock length graphite senior flex shafts.

I bought the Chrome Soft to be my equivalent to a Project (a) type of golf ball with a very soft feel. The Chrome Soft easily meets that goal. I am a mid-low flight hitter unless using a 2-piece LC, and the Chrome Soft kept this same flight very well. A touch higher than I'm used to but piercing, which is great - combined with the new clubs, that was my goal anyway. The ball does curve; this is not like a Supersoft where I found myself hitting only shorter, float-y pushes and pulls. On the same token, though, it spins very well into greens for me, even on mid to short pitches (something I'm not good at). Chips came off low and checked consistently, as I will chalk up the lack of rollout totally to the slow, wet greens. I accept the curve trade-off because that greenside spin is a touch better with my slow SS than the RBZ Urethane balls I have. For overall comparison's sake, I'd throw the RBZU in with the Pro V1, and the Chrome Soft in the B330-RXS, for my slower SS. I hit all golf balls pretty much the same (short) distance, and these were no worse than any other - slightly farther off the longer clubs but, like I said, I have a whole new set makeup.

I adore the soft feel. My left wrist is kind of wonky and can lock up or get pain at times so the grips, clubs, and ball are a combined effort to safeguard for that. So far, so good! The most impressive thing about the Chrome Soft that I need to mention before I forget, though, is the durability. I do not scuff balls that often, but I have never had a Callaway ball make it past two holes without being taken out. That's the honest truth (for me)! Last year's Supersoft was better than that, finally; this year's Chrome Soft is [b][i]miles[/i][/b] beyond. I made it 14 holes with only two tiny scuffs on different parts of the golf ball, and these were barely noticeable (only 14 holes because I hit it in a creek - D'OH). I was going back and forth on selling the six dozen I have, but instead I am sold on Callaway and on keeping the balls. At this rate, six dozen will last me three years or more.

Ultimately, these won't fit everybody, but for any higher handicapper or slower swinger such as myself, try a sleeve of these. I can't say if they will work for you for sure, but as long as you prefer a softer feeling ball, these have a shot at making you a really happy golfer.

After another 18 today and much more testing, I am certain that the Chrome Soft is an awesome ball. The more I analyze, though, the more I see that 3 piece urethane urethane balls aren't necessary or completely beneficial for my game. I played a Supersoft side-by-side with the CS and was impressed by both balls; the SS had a better flight [i]for me[/i] off all clubs because it minimized curve, cut through the wind the same as CS, and came in high enough to stop on greens. Short game, my home course is very hilly, and the CS wins there by how hard it bites when hit low. I can get by well with the SS, though, and prefer to loft the ball higher here anyway.

Plus, ultimately, the SS is far cheaper. The Chrome Soft is a phenomenal ball, all in all. I think I'm just a better fit with the Supersoft.

I've played a few rounds to compare the CS with the SS, and I agree with what you said. I also still prefer the SS because I prefer a higher ball flight to land soft on the green (as they are still hard around here) because balls just don't bite yet.

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Finally got a chance to try this ball this evening. Most impressed. 1 birdie, 8 pars, 1 bogey. Love the softer but not mushy fell off the putter. Similar to the AD333 Tour. For my swing speed I got more distance, especially with my irons. It sits down great off full shots and grips a lot more than expected around the greens. It is workable and after 10 holes looked brand new. I shall start using these and AD333 Tours as they appear to work better for me than the now $58 a doz (UK price) V1s.

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1429890775' post='11433337']I've played a few rounds to compare the CS with the SS, and I agree with what you said. I also still prefer the SS because I prefer a higher ball flight to land soft on the green (as they are still hard around here) because balls just don't bite yet.[/quote]
Yes, exactly. I think the Chrome Soft will fit a majority of low cappers a lot better than they first may think. If I really had control of my golf ball, I get the impression that the CS is very workable while naturally wanting to soar low through the air. Unlike a Pro V1, I could definitely still game it with my slow swing and not see huge differences.

Had a $10 off coupon burning a hole in my pocket so I grabbed a dozen and gamed them yesterday. The day started out 40-45F so I wanted something softer than the Hex Chromes in my bag. I am a good fit for this ball. Like the feel off the irons. Putting took awhile to get used to...or it could of been my putting was just off regardless of any ball I was hitting.

I just played 36 holes with my brand new Callaway Chrome Softs. After hearing / watching Phil's YouTube video, I just couldn't wait. Irons felts great - I did notice extra yardage. However, the predictability on the driver was awful. I usually hit pretty long, 290 ish, medium flight, draw. The ball flight with Chrome Soft was extremely low! Lots of low left shots off the tee. It was weird! The putter was also bizarre, just so soft, where instead of having better "feel", it was worse! I'm going back to pro V1's or V1X's.

I really like my original Hex Chromes. Good distance and great spin around greens. When the became hard to find
I tried Chrome plus. Lost distance on irons. My son bought me a dozen Speed Regime 1s. So far I like them fine.
With about an 88 mph swing speed, I think I will have to give these Chrome softs a go. For me a urethane cover
is a must, because I am a sweeper. Need all the spin off the wedges I can get.

Cobra ZL 10.5 Blur
Burner 09 4 thru PW
Cleveland 52 56 58
Sabretooth
Chrome Yellow Speed Regime 1

Played with this ball on Sunday. My expectations were not great but I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I liked the feel around the greens and the distance off of the driver was great. May have a winner here. Played all 18 holes with one ball and it is in really good shape still.

In the bag (for now)

[color=#ff8c00]PIng G (Bubba Pink)[/color]
Taylormade M2 4 iron
Maxfli A 10 Tour limited 4- PW
Cleveland Rotex 2.0 Cb 50, 56, 60
[color=#ff0000]Scotty Cameron Circle T Golo[/color]

At a Callaway Demo Day at our club the Callaway rep came up to me and handed me a sample 2 ball sleeve of the Chrome Softs. He went into a long winded explanation about how the ball was going to change my life. I have now played 36 holes with the balls (amazingly for myself I somehow managed 27 holes with one ball... it is beat to hell now). Here are my thoughts:

Bio: I am a 5 index with a moderately high swing speed (110-112 driver speed last time tested). I am generally a low ball player with my woods and a higher ball player with my irons. I don't generate a ton of spin with either my irons or wedges (for the most part it's a hit and stop... likely has to do with being a high ball hitter with my irons). My go to balls currently are the Pro V1x and B330s.

Round Conditions: Both rounds were played on a sunny day with highs in the mid 60's. The second round, which became a better judge for me was played with some decent winds (15mph steady, gusts over 20).

Driver: This for me for a issue. The ball felt mushy off the face. There were multiple drives where I felt like I crushed the ball only to get up to it and be 10-15 yards further away from the green than I anticipated. The entire time I was questioning if the wind was hurting more than I thought or if the softness of the fairway was preventing the ball from rolling. Finally, midway through the 2nd round with the ball I hit a good drive and decided to try a side by side. I then pulled out a pro v1x (2013 revision) and hit a drive. I didn't hit the 2nd drive near as well (it resulted in a fade that missed the fairway) yet my ball was even with the Chrome Soft. I would need more testing to give a definitive answer but in the 2 rounds I played and the one side by side test it feel clear that the Chrome Soft is shorter off the tee. I also felt this ball got caught in the wind more than the B330. It seemed when it was side spinning into the wind it went further off line than the B330 does.

Irons: I absolutely love the feel of the ball off the irons. The ball always landed and stopped/spun with consistency and I knew every time if I hit the shot I wanted I could expect the ball the perform the way I wanted it to. I was very confident in the ball off the irons.

Wedges: Again, love the ball here with wedges. It reacted to my swing much like a Pro V1x or B330s would. One hop and stop. I don't like balls that spin like crazy and suck back off greens. I have learned to play with having the ball bounce forward once or twice and stop. The Chrome Soft was perfect for the game I play and felt very consistent.

Short Chips: Here it was very versatile. If I was in the fairway and wanted to have a one hop then spin type of shot I could easily execute it (assuming I didn't catch it heavy lol). If I was in the rough or playing a bump and run I could easily play the ball so it would release.

Putting: Really like the feel off the putter face. Maybe the ball that has felt the best for me with the putter in hand. I love playing the B330s off the tee, with irons and pitches, but don't love it on short chips where I am expecting a little spin or off the putter face. It feels clicky to me. This ball does not. This puppy feels just right on those delicate shots.

Overall: It's a very solid golf ball. One that I am tempted to buy more of and give a longer, more fair test. I still think the Pro V1x is the best ball for my game, but, I have trouble justifying $50 a dozen. Since I can generally find the Bridgestone at a little discount it becomes a question of where I want the performance. Do I want the longer ball with a bit of a clicky feel or do I want the shorter ball that feels great around the greens?

I think I would rank the Pro V1X first and then the B330s and Chrome Soft as 2a/2b.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='PrairiePlayer' timestamp='1428820666' post='11338327']
Has anyone had one of these balls crack on them? I've been trying these early this season and I really like them - they play as well as the Pro V1s I typically play (maybe even better in the wind). However, I had one crack on me yesterday. I played the ball for about 2 rounds; so, not new, but not too heavily used either. It certainly isn't my swing speed (107). One of the rounds that I played with this ball was a little cold (mid 40s), but that shouldn't be enough to cause a crack should it? Again, I really like the performance of these balls and would like to continue to use them, but I don't want to deal with cracked golf balls either.
[/quote]
My swing speed is a little less than yours and in 40 deg weather I cracked two Duo's and two Supersofts so I do think the balls with very low compression cores are somewhat prone to cracking in cooler weather.