Boxgroove.com

TeeAreNY

Has anyone signed up for this and could provide some insight? It seems like its golfnow and teeoff but access to private clubs offering one day memberships.

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

It's a joke of a site! Most of the courses that are [u]available[/u](at least in my state) are accessible to the public via limited play anyways. None of the courses, that you would want to play were ever available. When I requested a tee time at the private courses that I did want to play, I was received a response back saying not taking tee time.

On top of that, the cost to play was more expensive with a higher fee.

Customer service is non existent and good luck getting any response or support when needed.

[quote name='Boxgroove' timestamp='1429629002' post='11407095']
[quote name='Redstorm2011' timestamp='1429572370' post='11401943']
Has anyone signed up for this and could provide some insight? It seems like its golfnow and teeoff but access to private clubs offering one day memberships.
[/quote] Redstorm2011 - thanks for the post about Boxgroove. Unlike golfnow or some of the other discount sites Boxgroove is not about discounts. It's more about an opportunity to play a private course maybe you couldn't in the past if you are not a private club member. It will be at there slower times so not to impact member play and also gives the club an opportunity to maybe convert a prospect into a dues paying member. If you are a private club member it makes reciprocity easier so you can make a request at 11 pm at night for next Tuesday and not have to bug your head golf professional with a multiple phone calls especially that late in the evening. Everyone has an I-phone/Galaxy, Tablet or laptop today...just pull out a device and make a simple request. We never touch the price - each club sets or controls there price. 80% charge there accompanied rate 20% charge there unaccompanied rate. If you are looking for the cheapest tee times we are not the solution. If you are looking for a new experience, better service, a 4 hour round or less and 45 minutes warming up on the range with a pyramid of balls instead of a mesh bag then you will enjoy Boxgroove. We hope you enjoy the service and join. It's free to join.
[/quote]

Sorry for the miscommunication. My comparison to golfnow and teeoff was meant more towards accessing tee times from private clubs all in one location. I didn't mean to compare it in terms of discounted pricing.

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='Boxgroove' timestamp='1429630178' post='11407253']
[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1429628094' post='11406925']
It's a joke of a site! Most of the courses that are [u]available[/u](at least in my state) are accessible to the public via limited play anyways. None of the courses, that you would want to play were ever available. When I requested a tee time at the private courses that I did want to play, I was received a response back saying not taking tee time.

On top of that, the cost to play was more expensive with a higher fee.

Customer service is non existent and good luck getting any response or support when needed.
[/quote]

Puttforthe8....with the dynamics of the golf business over the last 5 years many clubs have adopted to a new reality. Are some operating differently than before...probably. We use the NGF as the source for defining what is a private club. With reciprocity or member for a day opportunities we are guests of these private clubs and they will try and accommodate us...it is not a guarantee that we can play each and every day. I think most golfers recognize this. As far as rates, 80% charge there accompanied rate (same rate you pay if your pro calls) and 20% charge there unaccompanied rate. If you are looking for discount golf - we are not the solution. If you are looking for a new opportunity to play a course you normally may not have access to then this is a good spot for you. If you want a 4 hour round or less, better service, better playing conditions and unlimited range balls you will enjoy Boxgroove. If you are looking for 18 holes, a cart and hotdog and chips - for 19.99 - we are not going to be a good spot. I hope our customer service is good - that is something we all take pride in at Boxgroove - everyone of us. We may not always get a golfer on one of our 1000+ private clubs but we can always get customer service right! Hence why within 6 minutes of your post we are replying. Go ahead and send us an email at [email protected] or call our 888 number. You will always get a response.
[/quote]

Really....I tried almost every week to get just one tee time at any course to no avail. When I contacted "customer service", I never got a response back. Not until I asked for a refund did someone make an attempt to answer my query.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name=' bnr204' timestamp='1430410571' post='11473557']
i'm a fan and user of boxgroove. i got on a private club last weekend on it. im sure it varies by market, but in the greater NYC area, there are about 10 courses that are allowing direct box groove bookings that are worth playing.
[/quote]

Going to be in Newark with a chance to play next month. Got a list of the courses you would recommend?

Thanks,

Reif

• 1 month later...

Has anybody had success requesting times directly from members? In my area there are a couple of courses that accept times, but there aren't many and they aren't that hard to get on though other avenues. However, there are a good number of courses that have members on the site. I would consider paying for the Boxgroove membership upgrade if it's realistically possible to set up some rounds through networking on the site.

I'm a public course player though and don't have any reciprocal club memberships to offer in exchange.

Thanks. I've used it once as well to book directly with a course. That went well and I'd do it again.

Curious if anybody has ever tried booking a round directly with a member at a course.

The way that I understand the premium website membership is that you can communicate directly with other users who are often members at courses that Boxgroove doesn't have a partnership with. Those are mostly the courses that if love to try out.

• 6 months later...

I have a Boxgroove membership (premium) that I had never used other than actually hosting others until this week. I had a buddy coming into town and he wanted to play a specific private course. Normally I would have called my pro and asked him to make a call for me but I hate to do that this time of year because our courses are crammed and I feel guilty asking because I know we turn down a lot of similar requests this time of year. During the summer it is a totally different story and I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Anyway, before I called it occurred to me that I had this membership that I had never used and should check and see if Boxgroove had a relationship with the course. They did so I gave it a try.

I submitted the request on a Monday and it showed as pending still on Tuesday. I figured since it was a private club that it might not be open on Monday or that the pro might not be in that day. Therefore I wasn't concerned. Later that day I got a call from Boxgroove explaining that the contact was out and apologizing for it not already being done! Awesome customer service. The next day it wasn't done by 11:05am when I received an email saying that the pro had been out for two days but that he would be in today and they just wanted to let me know that they would have it done ASAP. Again, I honestly hadn't even thought about it yet and I thought it was pretty great that they were so concerned about it that consistent proactive communication was occurring. A couple of hours later the tee time was added without an issue and even though it took longer than they expected (I didn't really have any expectations) they had a very impressed customer. Now two additional things will happen:

1. I will go out of my way to recommend this service to other golfers I know in the future

2. I will think of them more often so that I don't have to hassle my pro in cases where a relationship already exists. Please note that the pro at my club has never hesitated or complained about making a call for me. I'm the one that feels guilty asking because I know that I'd hate to do that crap if I were him.

Anyway, wanted to mention it here because I know that it had come up before. Kudos to the people running the site.

Also, to answer the question about being able to contact members directly I've had it happen twice. Once I was out of the country and couldn't accommodate it and the other time I had an great time playing with some guys from Sahalee who were in town and wanted to play at my club.

• 5 months later...

Anybody requested a course listed for Premium members and been denied?

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

• 5 years later...
7 hours ago, Dr Dave said:

From my experience it's bullxxxx. You request a tee time and wait 24-48 hrs for approval. The course I requested had open tee times but denied me . Boxgroove kept my deposit even though I was denied a tee time. From my experience its bullxxxx. 

Yup..I had the premium and not one single response from BG or a club member in the whole time.   BG is a total scam!