Apple Watch as GPS?

I had a sudden interest in a wearable golf GPS but was looking at Garmin watches and noticed some are in the $400 range. Kinda expensive but there are some in the $150 range too. On the lower end the display seems lacking but on the high end it's still not that impressive for the price. With wearable watches about to hit mainstream due to Apple, would you guys think someone would come up with a golf GPS app? I was thinking of waiting since I can get an Apple watch for about the same price as a high end Garmin but it's not limited to being just a golf GPS. Am I over thinking this or getting my hopes up?

Comments

• BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,093 ✭✭
    espressoo wrote:

I had a sudden interest in a wearable golf GPS but was looking at Garmin watches and noticed some are in the $400 range. Kinda expensive but there are some in the $150 range too. On the lower end the display seems lacking but on the high end it's still not that impressive for the price. With wearable watches about to hit mainstream due to Apple, would you guys think someone would come up with a golf GPS app? I was thinking of waiting since I can get an Apple watch for about the same price as a high end Garmin but it's not limited to being just a golf GPS. Am I over thinking this or getting my hopes up?

Don't use golf to justify your purchase for the apple watch, because there are better options for golf.

Also you don't need the expensive dedicated Garmin GPS watch to give you what you want. The S1 and S2 are in the $100-$150 range. Just glance at your yardage and go. No buttons to push or anything. It's a huge plus if you like simplicity and want something that is easy to read in the sun. No phone required either.

The drawback on smart watches, Apple being no exception, is that they require the phone because the phone is what contains the GPS. Therefore the yardage displayed will be from the phone to the green, not the ball to the green unless you keep your phone on your body. But if you share a cart with your partner and your partner drops you off at your ball and drives to his then your smart watch just became useless for golf.

There is another option, the Garmin Vivoactive. This is a smart watch that DOES contain a GPS so it can work stand alone. It is geared toward fitness and sports tracking, golf included. It also contains some basic smart watch functions as well.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/health-fitness/vivoactive-/prod150767.html

http://www.zdnet.com/article/spent-15-minutes-with-five-apple-watch-bands-left-apple-store-and-ordered-a-garmin-vivoactive/
  • Makes sense to pick up an S2 or S3 for golf now that I think about it. Thanks for the advice.
  • phil75070phil75070 Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited Apr 21, 2015 #4
    Yep, no GPS in the Apple iWatch. I was looking at the Garmin Vivoactive due to the golf app but that is the only capability on it that has any true usefulness for me as I am not a swimmer, runner, etc., and the other apps available are very limited at this time. Besides, the FunGolf GPS app on the iPhone gives me everything I am looking for, though perhaps not quite as conveniently. I already had the iPhone so the app was also a lot less expensive than adding another gadget like a watch.
  • whsbusswhsbuss Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Used GolfShot GPS on my iPhone since it came out. Now I prefer a GPS dedicated unit (not a watch person). It gets tiresome waking/sleeping the iPhone just for a yardage.
  • eppeyeppey Members Posts: 1,237 ClubWRX
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1144091-anyone-else-thinking-the-apple-watch-could-be-big-for-golf-technology/page__view__findpost__p__11254855__hl__%2Bapple+%2Bwatch

I posted my opinion in this thread.

Some will make it work, others won't. I'm on the "won't" side but I also don't wear a watch when I play and I don't own an iPhone. I have a super cheap Golf Buddy Voice that I clip to my bag.
  • nathsnaths Members Posts: 789
    The Samsung gear S has GPS built in, i don't know if there are any Apps available for smart phones though??, if there is thats an option as you don't need a phone for it to work....
    TM M4 10.5 evenflow 6.0
    Cobra F7 3 wood
    Cobra F7 hybrid
    Cobra forged tec black 4-GW
    Cobra black wedges 54, 58
    Evnflow ER2
  • heisman6183heisman6183 Cedar Rapids, IAPosts: 149 ✭✭
    That's good info on the Apple Watch not having GPS itself. It would still work fine if you kept your phone in your pocket at all times (I usually do). I'm trying to justify wanting one, golf gps is first on my list.
  • JoeSchuJoeSchu Generally Curious, Mostly Clueless Posts: 252 ✭✭

That's good info on the Apple Watch not having GPS itself. It would still work fine if you kept your phone in your pocket at all times (I usually do). I'm trying to justify wanting one, golf gps is first on my list.

I work in the technology sector and do innovation work, so I pre-ordered one of the least expensive models as soon as pre-orders opened. I hope to have it soon.

That's at least how I spun it to my wife. Mostly, I just like gear/gadgets.

I do frequently play with my watch on, so that doesn't bother me. Right away, the device has accelerometers and should be able to do simple things like show you your tempo or even some basic swing path information. It won't be as good as the Zepp, but it could be close.

Obviously, yardage will be the primary golf use. With your phone in your pocket (or bag for those of us who carry), you'll get good yardages and a display superior to what other devices on the market are likely to offer. The digital crown could someday provide a good interface for zooming in to and out of holes to do things like layup distances.

Scorekeeping and club tracking are other substantial use cases. Rather than the "tagging" process of Game Golf, your Apple Watch could have a glance that let you press the club you used (or were about to use) for the stroke. Doing that with each stroke would easily replicate Game Golf's functionality. Of course, Game's "tagging" simplicity may prove the superior experience, but I'd imagine app developers will put something together that is clever enough to perform the task without undue impact on pace of play.

Speaking of pace-of-play, there are many timing aspects that can be solved by simply informing people of the current status on the course and potentially reporting in on where people are in a manner similar to what Waze does for traffic.

Of course, you also have the fitness tracking element. People who wear FitBit devices or similar products will have that use case tracked as well. Want to know if you did a good job keeping your self calm over that sliding putt to halve the hole in your match? The heart rate tracking over time could provide interesting insights in to how your managing your mental game.

I'm not an Apple employee and I have no stake in whether or not YOU get an Apple Watch, but I figure my $400 device will do the job of 2-3 specialized "1-off" devices like those listed above. Other features/functions will simply be icing on the cake. In no way, shape, or form would I recommend anything beyond the least expensive model. Apple's history of dramatically improving features while reducing size, weight, and price are well documented. For me, I took the plunge because I know demand will far exceed supply early on, so it was a $400 bet on it being something cool with an easy option to bail out on eBay if I don't like it.

Zepp = $150

GPS Watch = $200 ($350-$400 if you want a color touchscreen)

Game Golf = $200

FitBit = $100 ($150 if you want heart rate)

I'm not saying the Apple Watch is "better" at any of these capabilities yet (how could we know until we get them), but it can certainly cover many of the same use cases.
  • swoosh21swoosh21 Members Posts: 832 ✭✭
    I hate the fact the Apple Watch needs your phone for GPS.
    TM M4 10.5 Driver
    TM M2 Tour 3w
    TM 770 6-PW
    TM 790 3-5
    Titleist SM7 50, 54, 60
    Scotty Cameron Newport First 500
  • I believe the folks at Apple are smart and not releasing a feature packed 1st gen watch. They'll add GPS to a later version. Why, because active people who run and etc don't carry their phones but those who want to use the watch as a fitness tracker will complain. Example is a FitBit is not an accurate activity tracker without GPS but it can be used indoors due to not having a GPS. Some runners are hardcore and need to know exact distances hence the desire for a GPS version. Also, for you to use an Apple watch, you have to have an iPhone. Sure they're forcing you to use their watch and phone together but they're missing out on a large market share by not have a device independent watch. We'll have to wait and see but I'm sure improvements are already blueprinted and will be released in newer models to keep the cash flow coming. Using an Apple watch for golfing is probably the last thing on Apple's radar but other more popular fitness hobbies that will force adding a GPS to their watch will benefit golf fanatics.
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,093 ✭✭
    edited Apr 23, 2015 #12
    JoeSchu wrote:

I work in the technology sector and do innovation work, so I pre-ordered one of the least expensive models as soon as pre-orders opened. I hope to have it soon.

That's at least how I spun it to my wife. Mostly, I just like gear/gadgets.

I do frequently play with my watch on, so that doesn't bother me. Right away, the device has accelerometers and should be able to do simple things like show you your tempo or even some basic swing path information. It won't be as good as the Zepp, but it could be close.

Obviously, yardage will be the primary golf use. With your phone in your pocket (or bag for those of us who carry), you'll get good yardages and a display superior to what other devices on the market are likely to offer. The digital crown could someday provide a good interface for zooming in to and out of holes to do things like layup distances.

Scorekeeping and club tracking are other substantial use cases. Rather than the "tagging" process of Game Golf, your Apple Watch could have a glance that let you press the club you used (or were about to use) for the stroke. Doing that with each stroke would easily replicate Game Golf's functionality. Of course, Game's "tagging" simplicity may prove the superior experience, but I'd imagine app developers will put something together that is clever enough to perform the task without undue impact on pace of play.

Speaking of pace-of-play, there are many timing aspects that can be solved by simply informing people of the current status on the course and potentially reporting in on where people are in a manner similar to what Waze does for traffic.

Of course, you also have the fitness tracking element. People who wear FitBit devices or similar products will have that use case tracked as well. Want to know if you did a good job keeping your self calm over that sliding putt to halve the hole in your match? The heart rate tracking over time could provide interesting insights in to how your managing your mental game.

I'm not an Apple employee and I have no stake in whether or not YOU get an Apple Watch, but I figure my $400 device will do the job of 2-3 specialized "1-off" devices like those listed above. Other features/functions will simply be icing on the cake. In no way, shape, or form would I recommend anything beyond the least expensive model. Apple's history of dramatically improving features while reducing size, weight, and price are well documented. For me, I took the plunge because I know demand will far exceed supply early on, so it was a $400 bet on it being something cool with an easy option to bail out on eBay if I don't like it.

Zepp = $150

GPS Watch = $200 ($350-$400 if you want a color touchscreen)

Game Golf = $200

FitBit = $100 ($150 if you want heart rate)

I'm not saying the Apple Watch is "better" at any of these capabilities yet (how could we know until we get them), but it can certainly cover many of the same use cases.

A high resolution color display as on the Apple watch doesn't mean superior performance on the course. Quite contrary actually. The low res display on the golf watches will have superior readability in the sun. Also your costs are high for the golf watch. Garmin and Bushnell are in the 100-200 dollar range, except for the newest Garmin units, which give you nothing more than glitzy non golf technology.

Android users have had numerous different watch options for years and they really haven't taken off for golfers. I know apple fans are a different breed , but still there are shortcomings to a watch that isn't easily read on the sun and must be slaved to your phone. Also plenty of people can't stand keeping unnecessary things like phones in their pocket while they play.

So while a smart watch will work, it's inferior to a dedicated device,so don't use golf as the primary justification to make a purchase. There are better options.
    Andy L wrote:

So while a smart watch will work, it's inferior to a dedicated device,so don't use golf as the primary justification to make a purchase. There are better options.

We can agree that it isn't as good as a "dedicated" device at any of the single features. I was careful to say exactly that. For you, there are better options, but for those of us who want the watch anyway, I think there are a lot of reasons to be excited to use it on the course.
  • NYCgolfer17NYCgolfer17 Members Posts: 1,594
    Golfsmith has the Garmin S1 for $99. Of course its not the apple watch but if you are looking for a watch that is good for golf, you cant beat that price.
    G400 LST -Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    G25 3W - Ping tour X-Flex
    G30 5W - Ping Tour X
    MP 5 - TI X100
    Vokey 50/54/58
    DJ Spider Ltd
  • whsbusswhsbuss Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Will see tomorrow if the GolfShot GPS apple watch implementation works.
  • marvdoggmarvdogg Members Posts: 20
    interesting read
  • Jeep1423Jeep1423 Posts: 1,343
    I'm going to add my $0.02 here. I'm an absolute tech geek, always love latest and greatest tech like I do clubs. No matter what, I'm struggling with any type of justification for purchasing an Apple Watch.

I can make a business case, I travel quite a bit and notifications while in a meeting or in the airport would be great.!

I can make a fitness case, I'm a gym rat and already use a Misfit tracker.

I can make a golf case, I'm already using an S1.

A consolidation of the above would be fantastic! I just can't pull the $350 trigger on something that lacks GPS. Why? Because I bought a MotoACTV 2 years ago. A "Do It All" device that didn't connect to my iPhone, only Android. This device didn't need the phone though, it had 8GB of storage to throw music on, wifi, bluetooth for using bluetooth headphones when I run and had a native Golf App built into it. This came out in 2012, with all the functions I could possibly need. How Apple can come out with this and not have those features is beyond me. Now, in all fairness, the MOTOACTV's battery life was horrible...but that's from 2012. I don't use it for Golf anymore, it doesn't connect to phones outside of Android and does me no good...but it still could function independently.

I'm still unsure of the value of any device paired to my phone for notifications, but I was curious. I bought a Pebble Watch last week. I bought it for $80 and it essentially does every single thing the Apple a Watch does, including golf via phone. After a week, I'm still not sure...but it has consolidated devices...as long as I'm 50 feet from my phone. If Apples 2nd generation has GPS and offers some independence from my phone, I'm more likely to buy it. Right now, I don't think it even carries the value of a device that came out in 2012.

Thanks,

Chris
    whsbuss wrote:
    Will see tomorrow if the GolfShot GPS apple watch implementation works.

Would love to see your review posted here. I just downloaded the new Golfshot app (I had been using the classic) and it looks spectacular. The Apple Watch integration would be interesting to see. My only hangup with the golf watches out there are the bulkiness and the software complaints. Being tied to the golfshot app would enhance the Apple Watch experience and software issues are non existent for me with Apple products.
  • jeanderson3jeanderson3 Members Posts: 518 ✭✭
    Played my first 18 today with my apple watch and golf shot app on iPhone. One word: terrible. I was really optimistic that this would be great, but it was glitchy, slow to respond, had on distance to middle only, forced me to select the next hole, was off by 20 yards on multiple occasions, etc. Compared to the S1 it is garbage. Difficult from the app description to determine what's needed to reap all the features, but I was on day 1 of the pro trial period and it left a lot to be desired.

I'm looking to go minimal, 9 clubs, single strap bag, no laser range finder, so I thought this would be great and was anything but. Seriously cost me no fewer than 5 strokes between distraction and yardage errors.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 460 10.5 with Diamana Ahina 62g X
    3 Wood: TaylorMade M3 15 with Tensei Blue X
    Hybrid: TaylorMade M3 3 with KuroKage X
    Irons: 4-6 P770, 7-PW P750 with Nippon Modus 120 TX
    Wedges: TM Milled Grind 52, 56, 60 Hi-Toe Nippon Modus 120 TX
    Putter: TaylorMade Black Spider (DJ) with Itsy Bitsy sole plate and SuperStroke 1.0P
    Ball: TP5x
  • bazinkybazinky Members Posts: 1,647 ✭✭
    The Apple Watch is proof that Apple can sell ANYTHING. If any other company had released this product at this price point, it would have been the most massive failure in the history of tech ...

This coming from someone who owns quite a few Apple products.
    Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
    Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S or Ping i20 4i - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping i20 5i-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
    Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"
    Unless you're an incredibly patient and "fiddly" early adopter of technology, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

My first round was pretty pointless. The Golfshot app requires you tell it what hole you're on to give a yardage and with a long-sleeve base layer (it was cold here yesterday), digging out the watch while walking to the next shot was impractical and the apps were WAY too slow to update to help you pre-shot unless you have a LONG wait once you get to your ball.

I can see when paired with Arccos or something similar in the future, it could be helpful, but right now the watch is just way too slow to figure it out.

I'm going to try again when I play in warm enough conditions not to have long sleeves and I'm carrying instead of pushing to free up both hands more between shots, but I'm skeptical as to the value of this first iteration. The potential is there, it just hasn't been realized yet.

For those who do have it, one thing I'm definitely going to try next time is changing from "wake to watch face" to "wake to last used app" before the round. That should allow me to see the Golfshot app at a glance and should allow it to update faster (in theory).

Overall, I still like the watch so far. Notifications on the wrist are helpful if you tune them properly and the fitness tracking element has been nice. Much like the golf execution, there's tons of potential there, it just hasn't been fully realized yet. I'm hoping developers and real-world experience produce some novel and useful apps in the future as Apple improves the OS and overall experience. Yes, we're paying $400+ to be beta testers for Apple, but for some of us, that's part of the fun.
  • jeanderson3jeanderson3 Members Posts: 518 ✭✭
    2nd round with the apple watch and I have to say Hole 19 impressed me. Front, middle, back distances and easy score (and other stat) tracking. Only drawback was some serious battery usage. About 40% in 2.5 hour 18 hole round.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 460 10.5 with Diamana Ahina 62g X
    3 Wood: TaylorMade M3 15 with Tensei Blue X
    Hybrid: TaylorMade M3 3 with KuroKage X
    Irons: 4-6 P770, 7-PW P750 with Nippon Modus 120 TX
    Wedges: TM Milled Grind 52, 56, 60 Hi-Toe Nippon Modus 120 TX
    Putter: TaylorMade Black Spider (DJ) with Itsy Bitsy sole plate and SuperStroke 1.0P
    Ball: TP5x
  • JiggaJigga Members Posts: 414 ✭✭
    iOS app developer here. I don't think that this version will kill the current wrist worn Garmins, but maybe 2nd or 3rd generation of the Apple Watch will have the potential to.

A note on speed of the apps, currently Apple isn't allowing 3rd party apps to run natively on the Apple Watch. Hopefully they will eventually. If that happens, the responsiveness of the apps will improve dramatically. Another interesting thing is that developers didn't get their hands on an actually Apple Watch till Friday just like everyone else. And just like everyone else, many developers are still waiting for their Apple Watch. We've had to use a simulator on our desktops to test the apps. Once the dev community can start testing on real devices, hopefully there can be some improvements.

I have no doubt that this first generation of golf apps is going to be lackluster, but the great thing about an active development community is that there can always be updates and installing updates will be very easy. Compare updating an app on your iPhone to updating the firmware on a Garmin.

Every app and tech device is a beta device if you think about it. It will be interesting to see what the landscape will be like a year from now. A flop or hit; no one can predict the future.

With all that said, you won't be able to pry my Bushnell out of my dead hands.
    Jigga wrote:

iOS app developer here. I don't think that this version will kill the current wrist worn Garmins, but maybe 2nd or 3rd generation of the Apple Watch will have the potential to.

A note on speed of the apps, currently Apple isn't allowing 3rd party apps to run natively on the Apple Watch. Hopefully they will eventually. If that happens, the responsiveness of the apps will improve dramatically. Another interesting thing is that developers didn't get their hands on an actually Apple Watch till Friday just like everyone else. And just like everyone else, many developers are still waiting for their Apple Watch. We've had to use a simulator on our desktops to test the apps. Once the dev community can start testing on real devices, hopefully there can be some improvements.

I have no doubt that this first generation of golf apps is going to be lackluster, but the great thing about an active development community is that there can always be updates and installing updates will be very easy. Compare updating an app on your iPhone to updating the firmware on a Garmin.

Every app and tech device is a beta device if you think about it. It will be interesting to see what the landscape will be like a year from now. A flop or hit; no one can predict the future.

Great insight as an iOS developer. The fact the app is even functional is a minor miracle.
    edited Apr 29, 2015 #25
    Jigga wrote:

Yeah, the fact that any app at all is reliably functional before having HW in hands is remarkable, and the restrictions on what can/can't be done natively makes it pretty much a notification holder on your wrist right now. Again, this is the 2007 iPhone to the category. Disruptive, but in many ways, incomplete.

I'm +1 on the laser (mine is a Leopold) sentiment. From a speed of use, accuracy, and overall utility perspective - I don't see mine going away anytime soon.
  • yellolabyellolab Members Posts: 461 ✭✭
    Tried this out yesterday- it works pretty good.

My only b**** is that 5 times during my follow through the Watch took screenshots- I could hear the shutter, and sure enough there was pics on my phone.

So my bent wrist must be pressing the crown and side button at the same time.
    Yankees Suck
  • actchillactchill Banned Posts: 368
    if i was going to spend that much money on a watch id get a omega. apple watches are just **** imo. i will never buy a apple watch when i have a iphone already that does way more then a watch.
    WITB

Nike Vr Pro 4-pw - ProjectX Rifle 5.0
    Nike Vapor Pro Driver Tour Dot
    Nike Vapor Speed 3FW
    Nike EngageTS 55
    Nike Method 006 Proto
  • If you want a dedicated timepiece, I gotta agree you need to get a real watch that you don't have to charge daily. This apple watch is a new novelty product and it's insane to spend $1K on the metal band one. The thing is, where can you get a decent Omega for under $1K? Most are in the $2K+ range like similar highend timepieces.
  • RobDMBRobDMB Members Posts: 383 ✭✭
    yellolab wrote:

My only b**** is that 5 times during my follow through the Watch took screenshots- I could hear the shutter, and sure enough there was pics on my phone.

Which app were you using?
    Ping Anser 9.5* Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Wood
    Ping i20 Hybrid
    Srixon Z765 4-AW Modus 125X
    Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mid-Slant
    yellolab wrote:

Did you do your best Tiger "Not in my swing" complaint?
  • tyorke1tyorke1 Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭
    What abound the Samsung gear while using golfpad . I can get one cheap and I use a Samsung phone .
    m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s ,
    m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x ,
    816 h1 hybrid 19 degree ,speeder tour spec
    taylor p790 17 degree
    callaway apex pro c-taper stiff 
    vokey 52--56--60
    taylormade spider tour dj versionr
    epic green staff bag or titleist cart bag