Epon AF Tour CB Vs. Miura CB57

TheBoomer

Just need to see the 8-9-P pics before I even think about buying a set lol
Here is a pic of the all satin head...
[attachment=2723797:image.jpg]

TRS 3 - Ping Max 10k ?  Ventus Red TR 5s? - Ventus + Blue 5s? - TPT Nitro 17 Hi?

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
Mezz Max Armlock ~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Scratch2Plus' timestamp='1429729188' post='11418001']
[/quote]

That's the finish the AF Tour CB should be presented in !
Definitely check out some photos of the scoring irons as I'm sure you'll love Em .
The last of Boomers comparison photos of the 7 irons should give you a pretty good indication of the differences .
Is there anywhere close by you where you can check a set of CB57s out and actually hold and hit em ?

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

[quote name='Batman1971' timestamp='1429747042' post='11420213']
[/quote]

Definitely check out some photos of the scoring irons as I'm sure you'll love Em .
The last of Boomers comparison photos of the 7 irons should give you a pretty good indication of the differences .
Is there anywhere close by you where you can check a set of CB57s out and actually hold and hit em ?
[/quote]

Yes, I can have a Muira dealer send me their demo with the shaft of my choice to test. But before I even do that I want to see if the 8-9-Pw head shape is to my liking.

TRS 3 - Ping Max 10k ?  Ventus Red TR 5s? - Ventus + Blue 5s? - TPT Nitro 17 Hi?

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
Mezz Max Armlock ~ TPT

[quote name='Scratch2Plus' timestamp='1429747565' post='11420279']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, I can have a Muira dealer send me their demo with the shaft of my choice to test. But before I even do that I want to see if the 8-9-Pw head shape is to my liking.
[/quote][attachment=2724307:image.jpg]

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1074253-miura-1957-cavity-back-iron-in-hand-and-comparison-photos/

@therealping

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Good move .
I did a ton of research on the 57s before I pulled the trigger on them .
Then I had a 7 iron made with a C-Taper Lite and a 6 iron made with a Modus 3 120 so I could make an informed decision on the exact shaft I wanted as well . I'm certainly not suggesting you go to the extremes that I have but making a totally informed decision is the best way to go !
There's another thread on here that features the CB57s with an enormous amount of comparison photos . Including some shots of the set and about 6 different shots of the PW . It's titled : Miura 1957 cavity back iron- In hand and comparison photos .
Check it out and good hunting Mate .

Yamada Shogun

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1429749838' post='11420621']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote][attachment=2724307:image.jpg]

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1074253-miura-1957-cavity-back-iron-in-hand-and-comparison-photos/
[/quote]
Great minds MJ !
Now that's a PW !

Yamada Shogun

Dang! Hmmm...I have a few members that are interested in my Epons, lol

Thanks for the pics MJ!

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
Mezz Max Armlock ~ TPT

Just jumping into the the convo late here....
I agree with what has been said about the Epon models... the tour CB should of been the 303. and the 303 irons something higher. Doesn't seem to work. Nevermind.

I have a set of 302's being built for me at the moment to replace my Apex Pro's. I demoed them a lot with a few different shafts and I just love them. My only small gripe would be the offset is a tiny too much for my eye. But they still play amazing. Although I have only ever seen a hit and seen a 6 iron.

The CB57 look like absolute magic. I'm not a massive fan of the look of the back cavity though, but the pictures of them at address with the satin look sensational!!

Titleist 915 D2 8.5* - Aldila Rogue Black 6-TX
Titleist 915F 16.5 - Aldila Tour Green 7X
Titleist 816 H1 19* - Motore Speeder 8.8X
Titleist 716 AP2 4-9 - Project X 6.5
SM6 46.08 F Grind - S300
SM6 50.08 F Grind - S300
SM6 54.10 S Grind - S300
SM6 58.12 K Grind - S200

Nike Method 006 Proto
ProV1x 16'

no worries Boomer, MJ gave me the link to the Miura CB 57's.
All the pictures were there so pics not necessary.

How do the Loomis shafts play? Anything to compare them to? Aerotech? Fuji Mci?
Thanks.

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
Mezz Max Armlock ~ TPT

[quote name='Scratch2Plus' timestamp='1429766187' post='11422527']
no worries Boomer, MJ gave me the link to the Miura CB 57's.
All the pictures were there so pics not necessary.

How do the Loomis shafts play? Anything to compare them to? Aerotech? Fuji Mci?
Thanks.
[/quote]
What did you think of the pics ?

Yamada Shogun

^^^^ Very nice. Working on selling my Epons with a few members before making a decision. :)

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
Mezz Max Armlock ~ TPT

[quote name='chillr710' timestamp='1429754442' post='11421443']
I agree with what has been said about the Epon models... the tour CB should of been the 303. and the 303 irons something higher. Doesn't seem to work. Nevermind.

I have a set of 302's being built for me at the moment to replace my Apex Pro's. I demoed them a lot with a few different shafts and I just love them. My only small gripe would be the offset is a tiny too much for my eye. But they still play amazing. Although I have only ever seen a hit and seen a 6 iron.

The CB57 look like absolute magic. I'm not a massive fan of the look of the back cavity though, but the pictures of them at address with the satin look sensational!!
[/quote]

I agree, the CB57 actually feel fantastic, and not an issue at address, but looking at them sitting in the bag is definitely not as nice as staring at a set of AF Tours which are gorgeous. The AFT's are really easy to hit, but a tad short in distance IMO for me to own again, as there are a lot of other great blades out there that have a better blend of both. Hard to argue w/ that unique upon feel though.

[quote name='needmoregolf' timestamp='1429916518' post='11435927']

[/quote]

I agree, the CB57 actually feel fantastic, and not an issue at address, but looking at them sitting in the bag is definitely not as nice as staring at a set of AF Tours which are gorgeous. The AFT's are really easy to hit, but a tad short in distance IMO for me to own again, as there are a lot of other great blades out there that have a better blend of both. Hard to argue w/ that unique upon feel though.
[/quote]

Youre right about the feel of the 57s , they feel fantastic !
As for the looks , I personally love them and was only to happy to choose them over a couple of Epons models but as they say in the classics "One mans trash is another mans treasure" .
The back cavity of the 57s was not designed for looks but for function . One of the reasons the 57s feel so good is due to the presence of the muscle bar in the cavity .
When you strike it pure you can feel the muscle bar hit right through the ball & every time I have I've loved the look of it when I've put it back in the bag !
However , the only looks that truly matter to me with an iron is the look at address and how the ball looks on the green nestled in close to the hole !

Yamada Shogun

[quote name='needmoregolf' timestamp='1429916518' post='11435927']

[/quote]

[/quote]If you want bag appeal then play blades.

The 501's looked amazing in the bag, but since when does that equate to playability. The 501's also have that odd long heel to toe scoring irons shape, which is unappealing no matter how well the cavity looks.

The 57's are the best cb Miura has to date. Simple, elegant, functional, playable for a broad range of players, classic yet modern design. If there ever was a "holy grail" then the 57's are it.

@therealping

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1430394177' post='11471513']
If there ever was a "holy grail" then the 57's are it.
[/quote]

Amen.

Has anyone noticed a significant increase in launch angle with their 57s...? Pulled the shafts from my "old" MP4/MP15 combo set and put them in the 57s, and the trajectory is **significantly** higher, in a good way...have yet to play with someone who hasn't commented on how ridiculously high I hit those irons...

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

[quote name='PepsiDuck' timestamp='1430416904' post='11474399']
[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1430394177' post='11471513']
If there ever was a "holy grail" then the 57's are it.
[/quote]

Amen.

Has anyone noticed a significant increase in launch angle with their 57s...? Pulled the shafts from my "old" MP4/MP15 combo set and put them in the 57s, and the trajectory is **significantly** higher, in a good way...have yet to play with someone who hasn't commented on how ridiculously high I hit those irons...
[/quote]

I've only been out to hit balls and kinda play twice since I got my 57s. I'm actually having a little trouble keeping the ball down. I normally play a lot of knockdowns/punch shots and these 57s seem to try and launch the ball up there. Same shaft as my Tournament Blades.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

I keep the ball pretty low , higher launch works for me .
I also play on fast greens so coming in at a steeper angle has also given me some good results .
I asked my fitter about this and he believes that it's attributed to the weight at the base of the muscle bar that keeps the COG low to encourage launch .

Yamada Shogun

[quote name='needmoregolf' timestamp='1430441628' post='11476759']
I'm a high ball hitter as is but didn't notice these ballooning or anything out of the ordinary, pretty piercing ball flight actually, albeit high but boring.
[/quote]

Yes, the ball definitely shows no signs of ballooning...just a high, piercing ball flight like you describe...with a 4 iron that goes higher than my buddy's wedges... :bb2:

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Looks like I'll be asking for a demo from a MIURA dealer very shortly.

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
Mezz Max Armlock ~ TPT

[quote name='Scratch2Plus' timestamp='1431060061' post='11521057']
[/quote]

Good move Scratch !
Let us know what you think .

Yamada Shogun

[/quote]

Miura is the real deal. I have the 57 blades, and although my vega blades are softer(maybe softer than anything), there is something about miura impact that is just different. II have had my Miuras for a year now and been practicing a lot the last couple of months, and no matter how "used to" that impact you get, it just never gets old. It is awesome and be sure to hit off of grass if you can. I feel the essence of Miuras is much more discernible with turf interaction.

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1431111173' post='11524489']
[/quote]

Miura is the real deal. I have the 57 blades, and although my vega blades are softer(maybe softer than anything), there is something about miura impact that is just different. II have had my Miuras for a year now and been practicing a lot the last couple of months, and no matter how "used to" that impact you get, it just never gets old. It is awesome and be sure to hit off of grass if you can. I feel the essence of Miuras is much more discernible with turf interaction.
[/quote]

+1

Yamada Shogun